Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man City to play Limerick FC at Thomond Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

phog wrote: »
    He's only ticketing those that were stupid enough to park on double yellow lines, park opposite a continuous white line and the clown that decided to park in the hatchted area of the pedrestrian crossing, I have absolutely no sympathy for any of them and hope he continues his ticketing trip up past the credit union and ticket those parked on the footpaths.

I don't have sympathy for them either but this never seems to happen when events are on in the Gaelic Grounds and the parking is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭phog

kojack wrote: »
    I don't have sympathy for them either but this never seems to happen when events are on in the Gaelic Grounds and the parking is the same

Why call the cop a miserbale man then?

I'm not so sure about that, I know one of the lads at work got done on the Ennis Rd when attending the gaelic grounds and I've read on Munsterfans.com of guys getting done when attending rugby games.

A thing call Garda discretion. There is a lack of parking facilities in the surrounding area and it would make more sense to remove vehicles, such as the one you mentioned parked on the hatched area, rather than punish them all.

Anyway im not turning this thread into a parking argument, I'l keep to the football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Hope whoever the scumbag was that threw the banana at one of the Man City players gets barred from Thomond Park for life. Some shower of scumbags at the game tonight.

A thing call Garda discretion. There is a lack of parking facilities in the surrounding area and it would make more sense to remove vehicles, such as the one you mentioned parked on the hatched area, rather than punish them all.

Anyway im not turning this thread into a parking argument, I'l keep to the football.

They were breaking the law and causing obstructions to other road users and the ones near the credit union were forcing pedestrians onto the roadway, they fully deserved their tickets. He was doing his duty and you called him miserable yet you also said you had no sympathy for them either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

What size crowd turned up for the game tonight ? Someone throwing a banana? Awful.

There's far bigger crime in the country than someone parking on a double line, just a nice revenue earner, justifying their wages.

liammur wrote: »
    What size crowd turned up for the game tonight ? Someone throwing a banana? Awful.

Just over 20,000
    There's far bigger crime in the country than someone parking on a double line, just a nice revenue earner, justifying their wages

That's the kind of comment that those that illegally park or speed usually throw out as a defence of their ignorance, drivers have responsibilities and those that think they can ignore the laws deserves thier fines.

liammur wrote: »

20,672 but a few left at half time

20,672 but a few left at half time

Thanks, a good crowd so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

They did nothing to keep them off the pitch, such a shame.

scaled.php?server=440&filename=dsc3426.jpg&res=landing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

who was the young lad who came on for limerick in the 2nd half? number 10 up front, looks like a decent player, just had no help up there with him. very dour match otherwise, limerick just made 3 individual mistakes for 3 of the goals.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

LOL, we are a nation who moan about the guards not doing their jobs...and yet when one actually does his job, he is berated for it!

Fair play to him...some rediculous parking tonight.

As for the banana incident, it happened in the East Stand towards the front. About 40 mins in, two were thrown within the space of 20 seconds. I went red with embarrassment tbh. Some scumbag idiot who saw other scumbag idiots doing the same on TV. Guaranteed he has no affiliation with either club tonight.

I hope they are named, shamed and banned from the stadium for life (although I also think he'll never step foot in there regardless.)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

ya i was in the east stand & was wondering why every1 got up & were looking down towards the front, i must say there was alot of scobes there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thelastguyleft

Were they thrown out? I was in the east terrace and thought it (banana)came from a group near me. If it did, none of them were thrown out. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

FutureGuy wrote: »
    LOL, we are a nation who moan about the guards not doing their jobs...and yet when one actually does his job, he is berated for it!

As for the banana incident, it happened in the East Stand towards the front. About 40 mins in, two were thrown within the space of 20 seconds. I went red with embarrassment tbh. Some scumbag idiot who saw other scumbag idiots doing the same on TV. Guaranteed he has no affiliation with either club tonight.

I hope they are named, shamed and banned from the stadium for life (although I also think he'll never step foot in there regardless.)

There were two different banana throwing incidents from what I saw, along with some monkey noise chanting. Great advertisment for Limerick in that a handful of scum did that during a game that was being broadcast live on television. Clichy has already tweeted about the incident so no doubt it will be read about in many countries.

So infuriating that four or five scumbags out of a crowd of about 20,000 can bring the wrong kind of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

who was the young lad who came on for limerick in the 2nd half? number 10 up front, looks like a decent player, just had no help up there with him. very dour match otherwise, limerick just made 3 individual mistakes for 3 of the goals.

From the Wikipedia page, it says it's Garbhan Coughlan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya Garbhan Coughlan is the number 10. One of our younger lads.

I was told that the lads that do it were remove about ten minutes after doing it and handed all information handed over to the gardai. They have been banned from thomond park and limerick games for life and now it's up to the gardai whether they bring it further which they should.

Nice little kick around for our lads, clichy, dzecko, nasri, Santa cruz, lescott, Milner all started. That lad Suarez in the middle looks like he is going to be top class also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Typical scum and Limerick dragged through the mud again. Being reported across most of the main English news channels this morning, so what should have been a great showcase for Limerick now sees us make our already poor reputation even worse, and greatly lessens the chances of another high profile match coming here.

Kess73 wrote: »
    FutureGuy wrote: »

There were two different banana throwing incidents from what I saw, along with some monkey noise chanting. Great advertisment for Limerick in that a handful of scum did that during a game that was being broadcast live on television. Clichy has already tweeted about the incident so no doubt it will be read about in many countries.

So infuriating that four or five scumbags out of a crowd of about 20,000 can bring the wrong kind of attention.

Probably some "die hard" arsenal fans getting their back on him for leaving "them" for city.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya Garbhan Coughlan is the number 10. One of our younger lads.

I was told that the lads that do it were remove about ten minutes after doing it and handed all information handed over to the gardai. They have been banned from thomond park and limerick games for life and now it's up to the gardai whether they bring it further which they should.

Nice little kick around for our lads, clichy, dzecko, nasri, Santa cruz, lescott, Milner all started. That lad Suarez in the middle looks like he is going to be top class also.

Was Sean Brosnan playing?

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Typical scum and Limerick dragged through the mud again. Being reported across most of the main English news channels this morning, so what should have been a great showcase for Limerick now sees us make our already poor reputation even worse, and greatly lessens the chances of another high profile match coming here.

It has been reported in the French media as well today as the player who had the banana thrown at him, Clichy, tweeted about it.

In England you see people who make racist gestures and remarks at football grounds getting charged by the police, as well as being named and shamed. I hope the idiot/idiots involved have the same happen to them here in Ireland.

Probably some "die hard" arsenal fans ignorant pieces of trash getting their back on him for leaving "them" for city showing themselves up as the wastes of skin they are.

Fixed that for you. No point in tarring the name of any club in order to give scum a flimsy excuse.

That's two english clubs that came to Limerick this year that have seen their visits met with a tiny minority causing hassle.

The racist gestures last night at Clichy, and the smashing of the windows on the Liverpool reserve team at Jackman Park.

But Clichy tweeted: "How sad to see 'bananas thrown on the pitch' tonight... Knowing people around the world need food. No words for this."

If caught and these people are on the dole, it should be cut off, and then they'll appreciate bananas.

Latest on the BBC about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19148397

English, French, and German media have all reported on the banana throwing, but local media seems to be staying fairly quiet in their usual head in the sand manner. Would be much better if the local media highlighted it, pointed out that it was done by a tiny minority, and said something along the lines of how anyone with information should contact the Gardai.

One of the best ways to deal with clowns like this is to name & shame, 10 year ban from sporting venues and throw in 200 hours of community service. Make them think about what they have done while scrubbing graffiti off the buildings in town and instill some pride for their city into them.

It's always a tiny minority in soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Jofspring

jebforever wrote: »
    Was Sean Brosnan playing?

Ya he came on at half time but off again for the last 5 minutes or so. He will most likely be starting today against shamrock rovers.

It's always a tiny minority in soccer

That is very true, but the two things that people in all the other countries that the story is being circulated in will see is Racism and Limerick.

Some people in England, France, Germany or wherever may never have heard of Limerick before, but in the future if they ever hear the name Limerick again they may associate the name with racism thanks to a few ignorant scummers who are in no way a true reflection on the majority of people in Limerick.

Like it or not mud sticks. Which is why I would love to see an example made of anyone found guilty, and let everyone know who they are. They thought they were big funny men with their racist gesture, well let them be the same big men and take whatever punishment the courts can throw at them along with whatever the media wants to throw at them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

was at the game last night.

really enjoyed the first half, second half was crap. limerick were useless, i'd love to see the possession stats.

re: the incident, I didn't see it but my mate said it to me and I thought he was joking.

there was some amount of scum at the game, may who probably don't give two ****s about soccer.

there was a group of absolute idiots behind me, who kept shouting the most regressed comments that they thought were hilarious.

evry time lescott got the ball the circus master of the group in his limerick twang would shout ''lescott with your big fat forehead''.

and ''where's kettleneck tevez'' was another one.

his comrades thought he was the funniest person in the world, they were adamant ''lescott's gonna climb over the barrier and dig the brains off you i swear''.

and of course every one of them was an expert on soccer as well.:rolleyes: probably never kicked a ****ing ball in their lives.

the banana incident is disgusting, I'm a limerick native and it seems to be 90% of people are doing the best to improve the place and then 10% of arseholes just can't move past their regressed and uneducated ideology. a lot of it is product of environment, the people doing this shit live in shit estates and have shit lives and have little to no education. I don't expect any other team to come back here again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I remember seeing Jason Sherlock playing for Shamrock Rovers v Limerick FC in their home ground at Rathbane around 1998 getting subjected to 90 minutes of sustained and disgraceful racial abuse by the inbred scum of Limerick from beneath a cloud of hash smoke with no attempt made by the club to act in any way.

- Haven't been back to a Limerick match since and certainly wouldn't bring a child to one as long as that filth are still going, even though they are obviously a minority, I didn't like the clubs ignorance and apathy either......

Advertisement