Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Allegedly Raped in Belfast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

getz wrote: »
    i thought it was only alleged rape? i bet there is more to this than meets the eye,lets look at the evidence,walking down the road with a shoulder bag at two in the morning in belfast,just what did he expect...a pat on the back

Ah, the old "they were asking for it..." rape argument has arrived now too. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

hondasam wrote: »
    Fair enough but honestly it's not funny, I could never even consider laughing at rape. We are all entitled to our opinion.

It's black humour. It's not laughing at someone being raped, it's laughing at the shock value of the joke. People don't have to like it, they can ignore it. I don't like certain jokes either, but I don't feel it's my right to impose my sensibilities upon others or lecture them like children.

Many comics tell jokes about rape but they're always broad one-liners not related to a specific incident.

When you hear of an actual case of male rape that allegedly only recently occurred, why would your natural instinct be to make fun of the victim? You wouldn't dare if it were a female victim.

Where did anyone make fun of this specific guy?

token101 wrote: »
    Where did anyone make fun of this specific guy?

When the fourth poster used the line "Squeal like a pig!" they very clearly made light of the incident and his alleged plight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's black humour. It's not laughing at someone being raped, it's laughing at the shock value of the joke. People don't have to like it, they can ignore it. I don't like certain jokes either, but I don't feel it's my right to impose my sensibilities upon others or lecture them like children.

Maybe it's the compassionate side of me but all I can feel is sorry for the guy.
    I'm not having a go at you ok.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Children, children, children.... Stop for a moment and think, do you really think those comments are funny or make you seem like the brightest to people around here?.

Show some respect, if not for yourselfs then at least for the victims of sexual assault.

Don't fall off your lofty perch Mrs. Lovejoy, hyper sensitive much ?.
    Thread was posted in After Hours, fair game within reason.
    I understand if you don't appreciate my knee jerk humour but I'd rather you kept if to yourself.

When the fourth poster used the line "Squeal like a pig!" they very clearly made light of the incident and his alleged plight.

Or maybe they were just quoting a line from a somewhat related scene from a movie?

Or maybe they were just quoting a line from a somewhat related scene from a movie?

Apropos of nothing or to make light of the incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Rabidlamb wrote: »

Don't fall off your lofty perch Mrs. Lovejoy, hyper sensitive much ?.
    I understand if you don't appreciate my knee jerk humour but I'd rather you kept if to yourself.

How about you keep your over-the-top 'humour' to yourself, then we're all even?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think this guy is really brave in coming forward and I wish him all the best in the future and hopefully whoever did it will be caught.

• Advertisement

Majority of people in AH would not consider this subject fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That's neither a legally or grammatically sound case for the use of quotes.
    It is actually. The standard use of the term rape is for the crime. Quotes can be used to indicate a different usage of the word

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

hondasam wrote: »
    Maybe it's the compassionate side of me but all I can feel is sorry for the guy.
    I'm not having a go at you ok.

I didn't say you were having a go. It's just a point I was making. You can feel sorry for someone and still make jokes. 90% of jokes are about someone else's misfortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Clenches butt-cheeks.
    Jester252 wrote: »
    bites the pillow
    Squeal like a pig!
    benwavner wrote: »
    Maybe it was a chick with a really really really really big clit.

You lot are a disgrace if you can joke about something like this. Sad really that the happiness in your lives are dictated by how many 'thanks' you receive on an internet forum.

I didn't say you were having a go. It's just a point I was making. You can feel sorry for someone and still make jokes. 90% of jokes are about someone else's misfortune.

You can make jokes about most things but not this. I'm as well able as the next person to make a joke but I draw the line at this subject.

Apropos of nothing or to make light of the incident?

To make light of male rape I'd imagine. People do it everyday and no one says a word, when someone goes to prison for instance. Or is that somehow more acceptable humour because those people 'deserve' it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Enough about the jokes ffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

that's awful poor guy
    i thought it was only alleged rape? i bet there is more to this than meets the eye,lets look at the evidence,walking down the road with a shoulder bag at two in the morning in belfast,just what did he expect...a pat on the back

the attacker was wearing the bag, learn to read

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

This happened a few years ago too. The week after people were making jokes in a pub in the same town. "Where's Jimmy tonight? Don't know, hope he's not getting bummed."

Its all quite tasteless but they were laughing at the embarrassment side and not the physical side of rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Is this the male version of ''what did she expect when her dress was so short she was obviously up for it?''

Equal opportunities victim blaming. Thats real progress alright.:(

• Advertisement

To make light of male rape I'd imagine. People do it everyday and no one says a word, when someone goes to prison for instance. Or is that somehow more acceptable humour because those people 'deserve' it?

So if there was a thread about a woman that was raped in Belfast, would you use the same humour as it's "fair game within reason" or would you relent? Also, why would you hold the two to different standards if so? Do you only make fun of male rape victims because it's socially acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

He certainty didn't expect a willy up his arse!

No way can you say he was asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I cannot understand how someone could be capable of doing something like that and I hope I never do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

What's the "Allegedly" bit about anyway, it's something I'd like to be sure of before I involve the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I suppose for some of the male posters male on male rape is still pretty shocking and humor helps defuse some of it.

As a woman while I don't expect to be raped I am aware of the risks every time I go out and its always there in the back of my mind, most men never do I would imagine so stories like this must be hard to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What's the "Allegedly" bit about anyway, it's something I'd like to be sure of before I involve the police.
    That would come from the police side. Looking into it to make sure the claim is not false and dealing with the aftermath

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Why should he expect anything, except to get where he was going safely. Are all males who carry a bag fair game to rape???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

eviltwin wrote: »
    I suppose for some of the male posters male on male rape is still pretty shocking and humor helps defuse some of it.

As a woman while I don't expect to be raped I am aware of the risks every time I go out and its always there in the back of my mind, most men never do I would imagine so stories like this must be hard to read.

You're probably right that men would be less mindful of potentially being raped (correct me if I'm wrong lads), but I'm sure they're a lot more aware of being generally attacked than girls are.
    Lately there are so many stories of guys being jumped on nights out and stabbed/ beaten up, this has to be a consideration when they head out for a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Sauve wrote: »
    You're probably right that men would be less mindful of potentially being raped (correct me if I'm wrong lads), but I'm sure they're a lot more aware of being generally attacked than girls are.
    Lately there are so many stories of guys being jumped on nights out and stabbed/ beaten up, this has to be a consideration when they head out for a night.

Your right but getting jumped is a major problem for lads. If any poster in hear was in UL you would have heard if rape lane ( no prize on how it got the name) You would try your best not to walk through it on your own. As of getting mugged or beening attacked because other think your a rapist/mugger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Jester252 wrote: »
    in UL you would have heard if rape lane

Charming. Perhaps it's the Limerick equivalent of Lovers' Walk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement