Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site (part2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The bottom breadcrumbs, social sharing and thread tags were removed deliberately this morning.

Danny
    Hey ibarelycare,

This isn't a temporary change. We'll be making a number of changes over the coming weeks to enable us to move away from vbulletin and clean up the overall look of things. This was one of the changes.

Tony.

The social sharing is no loss, but please keep the tags if possible. They provide some comic relief in a lot of threads I follow. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

We removed the breadcrumbs down there specifically because the sticky header has the breadcrumbs in there as well that follows you no matter where you are (unless you've disabled the sticky header)

Tony, you ever heard the phrase "you can never have enough links"...

Whoever decided to remove from the footer needs a slap. It's really bad user experience, and leaves a hole in the UI. Maybe someone should also consider the fact that the sticky header and it's drop downs don't work on a tablet so you need functionality!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The previous/next threads were clicked a total of 200 times last month according to Google Analytics.
    Really? I reckon I hit those links more than 30 times a day on average all by myself.

There are a number of forums in which I always read every single thread, and the next thread link - whatever about "previous" - is my primary tool for doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

smash wrote: »
    Tony, you ever heard the phrase "you can never have enough links"...

Whoever decided to remove from the footer needs a slap. It's really bad user experience, and leaves a hole in the UI. Maybe someone should also consider the fact that the sticky header and it's drop downs don't work on a tablet so you need functionality!

Hi smash,

We've noted several times in the past that the new look is not optimized for tablets in any way and is best used on a desktop. You will get a bad user experience using the site on a tablet as is until as such a time that we look at some responsive design that works better with touchscreen interfaces.

The decision was made when we look at the figures for the number of people who have opted to disable the sticky header and it was less the .5% of all users.

Tony.

The decision was made when we look at the figures for the number of people who have opted to disable the sticky header and it was less the .5% of all users.

Hi Tony,

A user disabling one piece of functionality doesn't mean that other useful functionality should also be removed. What you're essentially after doing has penalized those who don't wish to keep the sticky header and made life a little bit more awkward for everyone else.

Do you think it would be good user experience to place a "top" link or some pagination navigation in a sticky header on a website? No, it goes at the bottom, under the content.

Also, consider those that use large screen resolution. It is annoying having to move your mouse so far away to get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The top link seems to be gone as well, pretty handy when using 40 posts per page.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

Hi Tony,

A user disabling one piece of functionality doesn't mean that other useful functionality should also be removed. What you're essentially after doing has penalized those who don't wish to keep the sticky header and made life a little bit more awkward for everyone else.

Do you think it would be good user experience to place a "top" link or some pagination navigation in a sticky header on a website? No, it goes at the bottom, under the content.

Also, consider those that use large screen resolution. It is annoying having to move your mouse so far away to get back.

Hi smash,

We've gone to a lot of trouble to strip out duplicated functionality and clean the look of every page up. Breadcrumbs will typically appear horizontally across the top of a web page, often below title bars or headers - research supports this. From Wikipedia to Smashing Mag, a locaction at the top of the page is what research shows to work.

We are looking at a "Back to Top" link as well as restoring the Previous and Next thread functionality - this is why everyone's feedback's been such a big help to us.

Tony.

We've gone to a lot of trouble to strip out duplicated functionality and clean the look of every page up. Breadcrumbs will typically appear horizontally across the top of a web page, often below title bars or headers - research supports this. From Wikipedia to Smashing Mag, a locaction at the top of the page is what research shows to work.

On websites, yes. But this is a forum, it has different rules. You might note though that breadcrumbs are only 1 form of navigation and that most sites will have a sitemap or 2nd menu in their footer so when a user hits the bottom, they can still navigate easily. Or on any classifieds website, they can navigate through pagination when they hit the bottom of a search results page.

On a forum, taking out a small bar like that in my opinion is not considered tidying up as the nature of a forum is that pages are long, not compact.

Also on the note of tidying up, while the quick reply box is now floated to the left for subscribers because of a blank advert panel. In this space would there be an option to add in the smileys and maybe the youtube embed button so we don't have to click through to advanced? There's space there after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

While the quick reply box is now floated to the left for subscribers because of a blank advert panel. In this space would there be an option to add in the smileys and maybe the youtube embed button so we don't have to click through to advanced? There's space there after all...

No. We'll be re-centering the quick reply for subscribers who have ads turned off. Quick reply is not full reply :)

Danny

No. We'll be re-centering the quick reply for subscribers who have ads turned off. Quick reply is not full reply :)

Danny
    Ok, well at least add the youtube link option. There's more than enough room for that in the UI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just noticed that extra padding is being used between posts. I guess this is for the adverts, and it's not a major thing, but if it could be gotten rid of for Subscribers who've disabled adverts then that'd be swell. :)

221383.JPG

Obviously this is a low priority thing, but said I'd say it anyway. :)

We are looking at a "Back to Top" link as well as restoring the Previous and Next thread functionality...
    If you do restore "next thread", you could consider making it a "first unread post in the next thread" shortcut. That would be awesome sauce.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just noticed that extra padding is being used between posts. I guess this is for the adverts, and it's not a major thing, but if it could be gotten rid of for Subscribers who've disabled adverts then that'd be swell. :)

Obviously this is a low priority thing, but said I'd say it anyway. :)

A padding nazi, eh? Hopefully you are placated now :)
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you do restore "next thread", you could consider making it a "first unread post in the next thread" shortcut. That would be awesome sauce.

Would require actual development time, and le schedule is le busy :(

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I notice when using Quick Reply and Report Post that I'm no longer automatically 'Following' the thread.
    Is this a new 'feature', or an omission or something wrong at my end?

I have my Default Thread Subscription Mode set to "Instant email notification".

EDIT:
    Belay part of the above!

I now appear to be subscribed when using Quick Reply, but I'm definitely not subscribed to a report post/thread I sent earlier.

Would require actual development time, and le schedule is le busy :(
    Understood. For what it's worth if and when you do get around to it, m.boards.ie used to include this functionality by default - maybe there's some code you could snarf from there.

We've been mucking about with removing elements from the page but nothing in the QR box was removed, just moved position is all. I've been subscribing to threads all day that I responded to by quick reply.

Similarly, I've reported posts today and am subscribed to those threads :)

If it keeps happening please file a bug in Site Dev and we'll have a look when we can.

Danny

A padding nazi, eh? Hopefully you are placated now :)

Cheers Danny. My OCD has been abated until the next update. :pac:
    Is the Quick Reply box set to the left of the page for subscribers too? I don't really mind ads but the box being off-center is doing my head in!

It's centred for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

oscarBravo wrote: »

That would be incredible.

/"next thread" buddies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

The bottom breadcrumbs

Please put them back .

Pain in the arse scrolling to the top of the page every time I get to the end of a page.

Edit .. Back to top link will do ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Another one here who would like bottom breadcrumbs back. I prefer to read to the end of a thread, and then have the breadcrumb right there to click back into the main forum instead of having to go back to the top of my monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Another one here who would like bottom breadcrumbs back. I prefer to read to the end of a thread, and then have the breadcrumb right there to click back into the main forum instead of having to go back to the top of my monitor.

+1000.

I keep going down to click the Forum before realising it's not there anymore. Please bring it back, it's very annoying having to go back up once you're on the way down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yep, another vote here for the re-introduction of the breadcrumb trail at the bottom. I can live with the ads as ugly as they are, they server a purpose. I can't see a purpose to reducing the functionality of the site's interface.

Even a "Back to forum" hyperlink would suffice here as that's what it tends to get used for but it's absences is leading to a lot of unnecessary scrolling.

If the argument is that it's unnecessary for those using sticky headers (an awful feature imho), surely the breadcrumb trail on the bottom being displayed be based on whether the user is using the sticky header or not? It's a boolean lookup which is already being carried out on page-load anyway...

On reflection, I too am beginning to miss the bottom breadcrumbs.

It's not a major issue for me since I like the sticky header, but I found myself instinctively moving my mouse to the place where the bottom crumbs would be and then realising they weren't there.

Like Sleepy says, even a "Back to Forum" button would be a brilliant addition at the bottom of threads if ye are set on getting rid of the breadcrumbs, as that's really all I ever used them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

+1 for bottom breadcrumbs, navigation is fierce annoying without them.

Edit: I have the scrolling nav bar checked but it doesn't follow on my iPad so I've no choice but to flick all the way to the top each time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Since changing to the new look I am constantly having to refresh the page as the forum list at the top of the page keeps disappearing... Any setting I can change to stop this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can the Follow Thread function be changed to automatically use a user-selected default notification option? Like the old look.... :)

At present, three clicks are needed where one click would work fine.

Tbh, the whole e-mail notification could be done away with, imo. Are there any statistics on the usage of the various notification options?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Esel wrote: »
    Can the Follow Thread function be changed to automatically use a user-selected default notification option? Like the old look.... :)

At present, three clicks are needed where one click would work fine.

Tbh, the whole e-mail notification could be done away with, imo. Are there any statistics on the usage of the various notification options?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056705581

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Esel wrote: »
    Nice one. Gave you a Thumbs Up there.
    Bump this one aswell!!:pac::pac::P

I'm a lazy sod.:o lol.

• Advertisement

Bump this one aswell!!:pac::pac::P

I'm a lazy sod.:o lol.
    I'm going to take the 4 Faults on that one. :cool:

I held the Return key down there. The hamsters like it when you make it easy for them....

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement