Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railfreight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

more likely dublin or waterford. i can't see cork being rail connected again, that has been made sure of

Foynes are actively seeking to be rail connected again, which is why I was asking the question.

I suppose I should have worded the question differently.

Would Foynes be a potential port for this freight if it had a rail connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

more likely dublin or waterford. i can't see cork being rail connected again, that has been made sure of

This is the MRF Biomass liner which has been talked about for a long time which the wagons are already ready for!

Due to start Q1 2017 and the Biomass fuel will be imported from the US via Dublin.

GM228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

GM228 wrote: »
    This is the MRF Biomass liner which has been talked about for a long time which the wagons are already ready for!

Due to start Q1 2017 and the Biomass fuel will be imported from the US via Dublin.

GM228

Why Dublin?

Foynes is a lot closer by sea and less congested too.

(Assuming there is a rail connection in place of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

elastico wrote: »
    Foynes are actively seeking to be rail connected again, which is why I was asking the question.

I suppose I should have worded the question differently.

Would Foynes be a potential port for this freight if it had a rail connection?
    your question as written was fine.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

One wonders are Belview's days numbered, the weekly CPW is mostly empty. Not that's it's IE fault but they have spent a few quid upgrading the line in recent months...

If they add a couple of flats to current limits then it can all go via Dublin and their annual report suggest's it will happen.

Belview really needed the Biomass flows and while it could change from Dublin it's unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

There are usually only 2-4 empties on a DFDS ignoring delayed shippings and things, I'm fairly sure it's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Is the IWT just winning more shipping slots from DFDS? Seems a waste reinstating in the CPWs for that flow now that it has deteriorated so fast in such a short time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

elastico wrote: »
    Foynes is a lot closer by sea and less congested too.
    On a trans-Atlantic scale, it is only barely closer.

But doesn't have the same ease of access.

Less congested might be another word for less serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Why not Cork? Marino Point would be perfect for it, the Cobh line runs right alongside it, a couple of sets of points and whtever amount of lines you want to put in. The jetty is already there, what ever bits of unloading gear is needed and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    One wonders are Belview's days numbered, the weekly CPW is mostly empty. Not that's it's IE fault but they have spent a few quid upgrading the line in recent months...

If they add a couple of flats to current limits then it can all go via Dublin and their annual report suggest's it will happen.

Belview really needed the Biomass flows and while it could change from Dublin it's unlikely.

Unfortunately belview is failing as a port. The dredging costs are killing it and even them the river limits large vessels.

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    Why not Cork? Marino Point would be perfect for it, the Cobh line runs right alongside it, a couple of sets of points and whtever amount of lines you want to put in. The jetty is already there, what ever bits of unloading gear is needed and away you go.
    well, it could be done i'm sure. mind you it would have been better if it had remained rail connected in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

well, it could be done i'm sure. mind you it would have been better if it had remained rail connected in the first place

Well cork port is basically moving to ringaskiddy anyway. That was never rail connected and never will be

For some reason, the laden timbers are either running late or not at all on the waterford line this week, any changes to the timetable or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

BoatMad wrote: »
    Well cork port is basically moving to ringaskiddy anyway. That was never rail connected and never will be
    Only the Tivoli container port and the upper jetties. Marino point is only about two miles from Ringakiddy on the north side of the river. The site is in Nama and could be aquired quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Saw one of those freight trains leaving Dublin Port the other day. Where do those trains actually go to unload / load the containers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Saw one of those freight trains leaving Dublin Port the other day. Where do those trains actually go to unload / load the containers ?

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Out of curiosity where do those trains go to unload / load after they leave Dublin Port ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

UrbanFox wrote: »
    Out of curiosity where do those trains go to unload / load after they leave Dublin Port ?

Ballina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Is any of the rest of the tramway and the sidings further down alexandra road ever used or even travellelled on by an inspection car to maintain them anymore or have they been abandoned?

Pete2k wrote: »
    Is any of the rest of the tramway and the sidings further down alexandra road ever used or even travellelled on by an inspection car to maintain them anymore or have they been abandoned?

Abandoned, last time the full length was used was part of the first batches of ICRs being delivered to Ocean Pier, and I think some of the refurb DARTs returning but I could be wrong on that one. That's a container terminal now at the very end.

so when new stock is bought again where would it be unloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

When the 22s came in they were offloaded from the ship onto a lorry and then they used mobile cranes on Alexandra road to put them on rails.

Belview

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

When the 22s came in they were offloaded from the ship onto a lorry and then they used mobile cranes on Alexandra road to put them on rails.

The later ones were delivered to the container terminal.

Abandoned, last time the full length was used was part of the first batches of ICRs being delivered to Ocean Pier, and I think some of the refurb DARTs returning but I could be wrong on that one. That's a container terminal now at the very end.

Indeed the last time the full line was used was for early ICR deliveries, the line as far as the Eucon container terminal was in regular use for the IWT until the Common User Terminal opened a few years ago, the line isn't abandoned but is actually maintained by Dublin Port who see it as an important part of their ports future!

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pete2k wrote: »

Almost all the track is bedded in concrete, so little need for inspection. The risk of encroachment by landowners is also much reduced.
    GM228 wrote: »
    Indeed the last time the full line was used was for early ICR deliveries, the line as far as the Eucon container terminal was in regular use for the IWT until the Common User Terminal opened a few years ago, the line isn't abandoned but is actually maintained by Dublin Port who see it as an important part of their ports future!

GM228
    The sections marked abandoned (blue) on the attached have actually been removed.

http://www.itoworld.com/map/26?lon=-6.20990&lat=53.34878&zoom=16&fullscreen=true&open_sidebar=map_key

Victor wrote: »
    Almost all the track is bedded in concrete, so little need for inspection. The risk of encroachment by landowners is also much reduced.

The sections marked abandoned (blue) on the attached have actually been removed.

http://www.itoworld.com/map/26?lon=-6.20990&lat=53.34878&zoom=16&fullscreen=true&open_sidebar=map_key

Most maintenance involves the points and welding in any broken/worn spots.

Indeed the blue sections were removed many years ago, even some of the brown sections are no longer there.

GM228

• Advertisement

In regards to the future possibility of 201s taking over tara duties from the 071s (chances are it will go by road and not rail when the 071s are retired). In order to get around the fact that a 201 can't fit on the traverser would it not be an option for the train to run into the Common User Terminal used for the IWT liners. This would allow the loco to run around the train, it then heads back out onto the tramway and then propels the wagons into the unloading facility and from there the process is the same as it is now for the 071s.

Other than that, have a 201 run around in the yard and then propel the train down the tramway with a flag man leading as usual. Probably a non running as I'd say Health and Safety would have a field day with that concept.

Advertisement