Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railfreight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I find it strange with the sudden turn around for DFDS. A few months ago there were struggling to fill half of a 12 unit CPW train and now they are adding an extra service.

The IWT liners are full almost all of the time both ways.

The more the better in the long run I suppose.

Totally agree as it was the increase in IWT which spelled the reduction in service and I even think it stopped for a month in the summer, not 100% sure on this though.

Perhaps DFDS have won some business back or there is an overall increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think the tracks were taken up recently. I'm sure I saw pictures of them being removed.

It is a shame, it exposes the hypocrisy of politicians claiming to favour rail freight.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Apologies if this is wishful thinking on my part but;
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Importers into Ireland will also benefit from this extra capacity, with the Intermodal rail solution particularly suitable for bulk tank operators and also shippers of large volume to the west and north of Ireland.
    This is an important addition to the DFDS services in Ireland, and we can now call ourselves the only truly Intermodal operator on the island.

the west and the north is not the same as the north west. Is that simply worded badly or is it throwing out the offer of freight journeys to the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

the west and the north is not the same as the north west. Is that simply worded badly or is it throwing out the offer of freight journeys to the North?

There is no where to go north of the border for freight. The former freight yard at Adelade was used to store the 80 class DMUs before the were cut up on site. Then the site was transformed into the main DMU service depot for the NIR C3K units.

It's also the site where most of IEs Mk3s were hauled to for scrapping.

In other freight new IE have released a further statement saying they are to carry out more trails. At least one with a 27 flat wagons on an IWT liner and another with 18 timber wagons, up from the current 12 timber wagon limit.

The last test showed that a 201 can haul 1300 tons up a 1 in 85 and a 1 in 140 gradient without issue.

http://www.multimodal.org.uk/news/iarnrod-eireann-capacity-50-percent

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No, they are saying they deliver to the north and west. The are not defining or redefining the north and west.

• Advertisement

Bit random but was Fridays WoI-Wateford timber delayed or have IE finally decided almost 12 months lather to change schedule or day it operates in the interests of passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

What do u mean by changing the schedule in the interests if passengers Jamie?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Friday and Sunday and the busiest days for InterCity passengers. As much of the network is single track (with limited passing opportunities) and reversing manoeuvres are needed on Mayo-Waterford flows, if something goes wrong you would prefer it to not happen on a busy day.

What do u mean by changing the schedule in the interests if passengers Jamie?

Additional passenger services were added 12 months ago and it's made schedules tight (3-4 minutes) and it causes knock on affects and the freight service is playing a role and has usually cut the disruption in half the few days it has not operated.

215 set out to Limerick this morning from Waterford with 18 fully loaded timber wagons. (12 normally) on a trail as part of increasing freight train sizes.

• Advertisement

215 set out of Limerick this morning from Waterford with 18 fully loaded timber wagons. (12 normally) on a trail as part of increasing freight train sizes.

Just wondering how many timber wagons are there? I thought around 30 maybe.

Clearly there must be more if they plan on having at least two 18 wagon sets in use.

Just wondering how many timber wagons are there? I thought around 30 maybe.

Clearly there must be more if they plan on having at least two 18 wagon sets in use.

Not sure but they may only operate 1 set to Ballina as it operates more often than Westport (I think) and they will then reduce the number of runs to Ballina as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

215 set out to Limerick this morning from Waterford with 18 fully loaded timber wagons. (12 normally) on a trail as part of increasing freight train sizes.

Wonder if the loop in Kildare is long enough for 18 timber wagons ? or maybe will they be routed via Limerick J with run-arounds at Portarlington and LJ?

kc56 wrote: »
    Wonder if the loop in Kildare is long enough for 18 timber wagons ? or maybe will they be routed via Limerick J with run-arounds at Portarlington and LJ?

It will be tight but I reckon they will just fit if the loco pushes back one loco length when it runs round.

Have a look from the 15:30 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voFGIdOfwew

18 CPWs will be a problem I reckon as they are longer then the timbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Any word on the date time or route of the box trial.

yachtsman wrote: »
    Any word on the date time or route of the box trial.

I could be a while away yet. There was a gap of a few months between the tonnage trial with the HOBS and the timber run.

It will be Waterford-Limerick again Wednesday/Thursday run likely departing at the same times Limerick 10.00, Waterford 11.30. Expect it will take place soon enough.

Could however be a lot more difficult getting the liners in place and not impacting on the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

Am I missing something but wouldn't it make more sense to do the trial run on the actual route the trains will run on or perhaps a new traffic from Limerick to Waterford is envisaged.

yachtsman wrote: »
    Am I missing something but wouldn't it make more sense to do the trial run on the actual route the trains will run on or perhaps a new traffic from Limerick to Waterford is envisaged.

The trail could not take place during the day on those routes as longer trains mean less loops to pass and current schedules don't allow it. Limerick is also where freight staff are based and deal with operations/maintenance so it makes sense to operate to/from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

It will be Waterford-Limerick again Wednesday/Thursday run likely departing at the same times Limerick 10.00, Waterford 11.30. Expect it will take place soon enough.

Could however be a lot more difficult getting the liners in place and not impacting on the customer.

Operating 15/6/16 and 16/6/16.

11.30 ex Waterford on the 15th.

11.00 ex Limerick on the 16th.

Down on the orders to be 27 Timber wagons, but obviously a mistake!

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    Operating 15/6/16 and 16/6/16.

11.30 ex Waterford on the 15th.

11.00 ex Limerick on the 16th.

Down on the orders to be 27 Timber wagons, but obviously a mistake!

Any idea if a rake of 27 wagons will operate down to Waterford the day before or will they join up down there?

They are going to have to be loaded so I'd say they will take some spares from Limerick, load them at Belview and then the 18 that would be there anyway and then join them in Waterford yard. If there are enough containers to fully load a 27 wagon train for DFDS is another thing, IWT would be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Twinkster79

The container run won't be going ahead next week from what I've heard, IÉ were looking to use the taller hi-cube containers which aren't passed for the bridges on the South Tipp line.

Just an update on the 27 wagon trial I saw posted on another site.

"The train will operate from Dublin to Ballina, not Waterford to Limerick as originally planned. The reason for the change was the low height of bridges on the south tipp line making the use of 9ft 6in containers impossible.. As the port of Waterford only handles short sea services, the only cobtainers readily available were of the 9ft 6 variety..

The train will load in Dublin port on Monday afternoon to form the 20:40 departure ex North wall. The train will run as 27 wagons as far as Claremorris, where 9 wagons will be detached for the run onwards to Ballina"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The train will run as 27 wagons as far as Claremorris, where 9 wagons will be detached for the run onwards to Ballina"

All 27 wagons will operate through to Ballina.

There will be no return trial train.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

209s second freight trail and all. And she's still facing the wrong way round after failing it's Enterprise trails in Belfast. Wonder when they'll turn her and actually get around to working an Enterprise set for the first time.

Is the primary aim of the route brake testing as that is not a fully loaded liner? There would need to be 15 more of those cube tanks on this particular service to make it full.

• Advertisement

Is the primary aim of the route brake testing as that is not a fully loaded liner? There would need to be 15 more of those cube tanks on this particular service to make it full.

It was "full" as every wagon was loaded. Two laden tanks cannot be loaded on a single flat as it would exceed the axle load limit. The only time you see tanks doubled up is on the empty returns to Dublin.

They did do some incline starts at set point on the route to see if a 201 has any issues lifting the liner in awkward parts of the network.

Advertisement