Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railfreight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Would it be cheaper to install bulk handling facilities in Bellview than reinstating the Foynes line?

I suspect that no money is available to do anything with belview. The port is much more restrictive then foynes, which is a deep water port whereas Waterford isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Victor wrote: »
    How did the cement used in the mines get to Navan?

For information - after each 'tunnel' of ore was dug out, it was backfilled with a mix of cement and the non-lead / zinc parts of the ore. This means that when adjacent two tunnels have been backfilled, they can then dig out the middle bit, thereby extracting the maximum amount of lead and zinc possible.

Does this mean that if Pallasgreen (sp?) was opened as a successful mine, the possibility of a cement flow in by rail might be a possibility? And just on the subject, in the event of a freight flow to Foynes, would there be a need for a new rail spur to the mine and if so would it be long?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does this mean that if Pallasgreen (sp?) was opened as a successful mine, the possibility of a cement flow in by rail might be a possibility?
    Possibly, but that would depend on the economics of it. And whether the cement supplier / the mine trusts rail freight.
    would there be a need for a new rail spur to the mine and if so would it be long?
    I don't knwo where the ore deposit is, but the two villages are right next to the railway: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,577068,646386,4,1 So quite short.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Would it be cheaper to install bulk handling facilities in Bellview than reinstating the Foynes line?

The port company will likely be looking at other future flows too. Reconnection has been on the agenda for years

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

sporty56 wrote: »
    Irish Cement Ltd. were the only cement manufacturer to use rail for distribution of their products.

Didn't the Tegral plant in Athy have a branch which was used to carry cemet loadings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Didn't the Tegral plant in Athy have a branch which was used to carry cemet loadings?
    yes . closed in 2005?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

It sure did.
    Cement went in and empty trains came out.
    Traffic ran from Limerick in a dedicated rake of wagons as it was a special type of cement.
    Unfortunately like so many other freight flows on our railway it finished up in 2005 (the week after St. Patricks day).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sporty56

Tegral switched from using irish Cement to a competitor who delivered by road tanker.

Tegral switched from using irish Cement to a competitor who delivered by road tanker.
    wasn't that because they were winding down? i think that plant is closed now? or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sporty56

Tegral are very much still in busness and were extremley busy when they switched supplier. Sponsors of Kildare GAA "Flourbags" up to fairly recently.

• Advertisement

Tegral are very much still in busness and were extremley busy when they switched supplier. Sponsors of Kildare GAA "Flourbags" up to fairly recently.
    ah i see. thanks for the correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

Are there any four wheeled wagons left around? I know there's a rake of hoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Thedarkb wrote: »
    Are there any four wheeled wagons left around? I know there's a rake of hoppers.

All I know of is a half rake of hoppers with a single plough van at Northwall and a 20ft flat in Longford yard.

could be used for an ore flow or something?

could be used for an ore flow or something?

They would be better off using the 20 shale wagons stored in Limerick for that if the need ever happens. They have already modified 3 shale wagons to be added to the tara mines ore wagons a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

All I know of is a half rake of hoppers with a single plough van at Northwall and a 20ft flat in Longford yard.

Not even a half rake, perhaps four or five left max, also none in Longford, but two in Enfield, one in Connolly, about five in Heuston and several at Inchicore, Limerick and Portlaoise, but I'm guessing the original poster may have been enquiring about the cement type, all have been scraped except one which is preserved I believe.

GM228

GM228

I was enquiring about four wheelers in general, are such ancient wagon designs viable today?

I was enquiring about four wheelers in general, are such ancient wagon designs viable today?

The only viable use they could have today would be as a barrier wagon. There used to be one in Connolly for when the pilot 141 would have to shunt defective DD stock. NIR had one at York Road if a 111 had to shunt DD stock or the DMUs with a knuckle couple fitted to it.

Lately though the 111s have used the withdrawn Gatwick stock as barrier wagons to haul 80 and 450 class for scrapping.

That plough van should be converted to air brakes and put on the HOBS train, save them plowing it later with road railers

That plough van should be converted to air brakes and put on the HOBS train, save them plowing it later with road railers

The feature of the HOBS is that they don't need the ballast plowed after. They have variable rate chutes to control the flow of ballast as it dropped it real time. They can be pre set or controlled in real time by handheld remote by track side workers that walk beside the train as it drops ballast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

nothing wrong with 4 wheel wagons per se . anything with continuous fitted brakes could be resurrected assuming material strength was sufficient

Would make more sense for very small wagons to have only four wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

Empty timber at Kildare at 1400 today with 086
    Laden timber at Kildare at 1900 today (regular Monday movement)

I presume this implies that there are 2 rakes of timbers since I don't think it's possible to get from Kildare to Westport, load, and get back to Kildare in under 5 hours (not even possible with passenger trains).

Yes as far as I know there are at least 24 timber wagons, so two sets of 12. I assume there must be a few more as maintenance spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've a question about freight wagons and from what I understand a lot have been scrapped, but how much of an undertaking would it be to make new ones if the need arose where more freight flows came along ?

I'm presuming that all were built in house in inchicore previously ? I've always wondered how easy it would be and it seems very short sighted to have scrapped stuff even if the chance of them being used again is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've a question about freight wagons and from what I understand a lot have been scrapped, but how much of an undertaking would it be to make new ones if the need arose where more freight flows came along ?

I'm presuming that all were built in house in inchicore previously ? I've always wondered how easy it would be and it seems very short sighted to have scrapped stuff even if the chance of them being used again is small.

You'd be shocked to hear the age of the vast majority of freight wagons that were or currently in traffic. The vast majority of the fleet is circa 40 years old with the yellow pocket wagons and new new yellow auto ballast wagons being the notable exception. Some, like the 4 wheel cement and beet wagon, are older again. Almost all the freight fleet is vacuum braked with some loose workings existing until the recent past.

Limerick is the location for wagon servicing and has a lot of the old fleet in storage; don't ask me what exactly is down there but there are spare wagons to hand when required; Waterford also has spare wagons to hand. A new fleet wouldn't take much more than a tender for what is a common wagon all told.

In general the freight wagons were Irish built. In the case of IFI tanks the under frame and tanks were built in France and leased by IFI, Irish Rail supplying and owning the bogies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Building commences this month, takes up to 2 years to complete. Doesn't say if it will partly open before completion but we could be 2017 before freight starts. Wagons are lined up in Mallow at present.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0607/706493-biomass-plant-mayo/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Building commences this month, takes up to 2 years to complete. Doesn't say if it will partly open before completion but we could be 2017 before freight starts. Wagons are lined up in Mallow at present.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0607/706493-biomass-plant-mayo/

Possible business for Foynes port?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Or Cork or any port on the west coast in reality.

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    Or Cork or any port on the west coast in reality.
    more likely dublin or waterford. i can't see cork being rail connected again, that has been made sure of

Advertisement