Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hogan Got Cut-Price Mortgage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

hondasam wrote: »
    I reckon they all have the same skeletons, they only surface when the media want us to know.

Bigger parties will tend to have a few skeletons. Still the Mahon Tribunal only found 1 Labour Councilor guilty compared to how many FF/FG? I think it is a bit unfair on Labour considering that fact.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

wexie wrote: »
    Is there actually a mechanism to get rid of a government in Ireland? (aside from armed insurrection that is?) How would this work in practice? Would the opposition have to instigate it? Would there be elections?

:confused:

I haven't a clue. I would could FF, as opposition get the ball moving on it. I know, anything coming from FF given their past will be rich, but still. FG said that they were going to stamp out white collar crime and this is their chance to do it. If FF were sersious about cleaning up their party last year (which we all know was a front) they would do this. Stir the fcuking pot up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

K-9 wrote: »
    Bigger parties will tend to have a few skeletons. Still the Mahon Tribunal only found 1 Labour Councilor guilty compared to how many FF/FG? I think it is a bit unfair on Labour considering that fact.

Don't forget that the remit of the tribunal was severely limited and requested that it be that way.
    Some in the tribunal wanted to dig further. I suspect because they suspected there might be more!
    ...However they were stopped from digging into other areas!

Now who would have benefited from that? One party (FF) or all?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

They are all as bad as each other.

The Shinners must be rubbing their hands with glee counting down the days till they are in power. Now thats a scary thought.

The Shinners must be rubbing their hands with glee counting down the days till they are in power. Now thats a scary thought.

The more FG and Labour continue on the road they are bringing the Irish people, the more (forgive the pun - its not intended, seriously) they are giving SF the ammunition to gain further in the South.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Scary how?

More scandals and revelations?

Jeez, we're all pretty battle hardened at this stage IMO.

Biggins wrote: »
    The more FG and Labour continue on the road they are bringing the Irish people, the more (forgive the pun - its not intended, seriously) they are giving SF the ammunition to gain further in the South.

Yes, SF have really exploded on to the political scene in the South in the last while.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Scary how?

More scandals and revelations?

Jeez, we're all pretty battle hardened at this stage IMO.

No, I have yet to read a serious credable policy from SF, it's easy curry favour when you don't have to offer any workable solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No, I have yet to read a serious credable policy from SF, it's easy curry favour when you don't have to offer any workable solutions.

And we haven't heard a credible solution from the right-wing parties.

Just more and more of being Europe's bitch and paying back private debt.

I would be in favour of these suggestions for starters.
    Mispaid bonuses and overblown salaries must be retrieved, there must be a cap on salaries of banking executives and an immediate abolition of their bonuses.
    We need to know the extent of the banks bad debts. The time for speculation as to the state of the banks balance sheets is over.
    We need to have the truth. An independent inspector must, on behalf of the taxpayer, establish their liabilities.
    We need a new, robust financial regulatory system.

• Advertisement

I would be in favour of these suggestions for starters.

A good start would bee looking again at all the wages of the following: http://www.thejournal.ie/gallery-former-taoisigh%E2%80%A6-where-are-they-now-514085-Jul2012/

Some are being adjusted but I suspect its minor window-dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just because FG are currently performing badly doesn't mean that the only alternative is SF. It could just mean that FG need to pull their finger out and drop the dead/disagreeable weights. It wasn't so long ago that Kenny's own future within the party was seriously called into question.

Most of my family are traditional FG voters, and none of them think that Hogan should be a minister, for anything.. most of them don't believe that Kenny should be the one leading the party either. They'd much prefer to see Bruton at the helm.

imo, what the country needs is a unity government, but obviously that'll never happen. Imagine people actually setting aside their ideological differences for the good of the country as a whole.. yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

People are always going on about losing out sovereignty to Ze Germans.

I think it would be welcome and refreshing to have competent professionals in charge for a change. Even if they do have their own interests at heart, that's no different from today's crew. At least the Germans would be moderately smart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Has Phil Hogan paid the outstanding property fees and taxes on this villa yet???

He didnt like it one bit when the story broke and made the headlines a few months back.

I wonder why??;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sky King wrote: »
    People are always going on about losing out sovereignty to Ze Germans.

I think it would be welcome and refreshing to have competent professionals in charge for a change. Even if they do have their own interests at heart, that's no different from today's crew. At least the Germans would be moderately smart.

So Spineless Enda complains about being bullied and assaulted by a female TV3 reporter.

Yet I dont see him complaining about Angela Merkil bullying him around for the last 15 monmths or so though.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Phil Hogan is a shifty character. I wouldn't trust him as far as i could sit him. Imagine asking/bullying the Irish people into paying household taxes and thinking its OK for him not to pay his one in another EU country. Ireland could do without people like him in politics.

Just because FG are currently performing badly doesn't mean that the only alternative is SF. It could just mean that FG need to pull their finger out and drop the dead/disagreeable weights. It wasn't so long ago that Kenny's own future within the party was seriously called into question.

Most of my family are traditional FG voters, and none of them think that Hogan should be a minister, for anything.. most of them don't believe that Kenny should be the one leading the party either. They'd much prefer to see Bruton at the helm.

imo, what the country needs is a unity government, but obviously that'll never happen. Imagine people actually setting aside their ideological differences for the good of the country as a whole.. yeah right.

What you say, there s lot of sense and truth in.
    I especially agree with your first sentence.

Sadly as for a unity government, I think the only thing that unites them presently is an unwillingness to look further into the misdeeds of their possible members and cross party members - for fear of exposing what a corrupt shower the whole lot is and has been for a long time.

What unites the top three is that they are still covering their ass and even their oppositions to some extent in case there is any connections.

I rekon the various trade unions will force Labour to pull out of goverment next year and this will bring the current goverment down.

Theres only so many taxes and tax increases the unions will take,before they revolt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

hondasam wrote: »
    I think Phil Hogan may have to step down shortly.

step down to a generous State pension?
    noodler wrote: »
    Whats the issue here exactly?

Nothing wrong with a politician getting a mortgage.

If he does not feel his house in Portugal was subject to a certain tax then he has the right to appeal it as any of us would.

Who else gets an interest free mortgage? - Don't you think such liberal lending could have played a part in the financial crisis at all?

philologos wrote: »
    step down to a generous State pension?

10,000 silk ties and some nice big green trees outside Leinster House..........;)

"Patriotic" indeed........eh Big Phil?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

FG won't leave until the Anglo bail-out fraud is well and truly buried (or at least funded by the ESM). Every day Enda sits as Taoiseach is another day of freedom for the previous & current administration.

Even John McGuinness (FF) has said it's time for the fraud squad to investigate the events of Sept 2008..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Sadly as for a unity government, I think the only thing that unites them presently is an unwillingness to look further into the misdeeds of their possible members and cross party members - for fear of exposing what a corrupt shower the whole lot is and has been for a long time.

What unites the top three is that they are still covering their ass and even their oppositions to some extent in case there is any connections.

So how is it ever going to change then Biggins? If that's how it is (personally I think you're right) then the top three are simply going to perpetuate the status quo, they won't allow anybody in their ranks that won't stand for it and there aren't (from what I can see) any viable alternatives.....Are we just doomed forever?

What's the odds of a new party forming, gaining popularity and actually getting elected, then still remembering their election promises and clearing house?

Damn...that's a depressing thought.

(sorry for dragging the topic OT, just planting seeds in my Biggins for Taoiseach campaign)

If the fraud squad get involved then there will be more or less no one left in the Dail for questions and answers.

They all heve their fingers in it,in some way,and thats why none of them want the fraud squad involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

What's the odds of a new party forming, gaining popularity and actually getting elected, then still remembering their election promises and clearing house?

Kinda up to you isn't it?

squod wrote: »
    Kinda up to you isn't it?

Unfortunately us bleedin foreigners are only good enough to pay taxes (and water charges, household charges, universal social charge etc. etc).

Otherwise this would be my election slogan

Unfortunately us bleedin foreigners are only good enough to pay taxes (and water charges, household charges, universal social charge etc. etc).

Otherwise this would be my election slogan

Define foreigner?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't forget that the remit of the tribunal was severely limited and requested that it be that way.
    Some in the tribunal wanted to dig further. I suspect because they suspected there might be more!
    ...However they were stopped from digging into other areas!

Now who would have benefited from that? One party (FF) or all?

Well you are getting into conspiracy theory now.

Given recent revelations probably the only party that is clean on donations or expenses are the Greens!

Waits for an attack on the tree huggers!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Define foreigner?

Non Irish citizen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

paddy147 wrote: »
    If the fraud squad get involved then there will be more or less no one left in the Dail for questions and answers.

They all heve their fingers in it,in some way,and thats why none of them want the fraud squad involved.

I want the fraud squad involved, and many many more people too.

This current house of cards has to be pulled downs. FG has their snouts in the trough, just like what FF had and I do not feel one bit comfortable leaving them with the reins of the country. A power class has been created where they will suck money dry to keep them in a comfortable lifestyle with comfortable pay and conditions while they are utterly incompetent in office.

• Advertisement

Non Irish citizen?

What nationality are you?

Are you entitled to a passport incidentally?

Advertisement