Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hogan Got Cut-Price Mortgage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The same Phil Hogan who when asked in Feb 2009 to take a 10% voluntary paycut in his €110,000 pay said " No, my personal circumstances don't allow that at the moment" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Am Chile wrote: »
    yes its the very same villa he won't pay tax on- while he wants those struggling with mortgages to pay property/household taxes.

I thought they were charges due to a management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

R.T.E News again fairly quiet. Nothing about this newsworthy item again. Cowan was persecuted for meeting Seanie and rightly so but F.G. get a free run from RTE.
    To me this was a favour and reeks of cronyism and that is something F.G. promised to snuff out. I think this is a very serious issue and if guilty Hogan should be on his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The same Phil Hogan who when asked in Feb 2009 to take a 10% voluntary paycut in his €110,000 pay said " No, my personal circumstances don't allow that at the moment" :rolleyes:

Poor Phil is in negative equity!

This is the same guy who stopped the planning inquiry in his county started by the Greens.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

MagicSean wrote: »

Maybe so but he asked "why should I pay for a service I am unhappy with?"
    I am unhappy with the services I am getting too. People in glasshouses etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

People in glasshouses etc etc.

Fuck me, are those liable for the charge as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

MagicSean wrote: »

Charges he signed up for when he bought the property, he might argue he is not getting value for his money but neither are we.

mikom wrote: »
    Fuck me, are those liable for the charge as well?

You are in fine form today Mikom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,311 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whats the issue here exactly?

Nothing wrong with a politician getting a mortgage.

If he does not feel his house in Portugal was subject to a certain tax then he has the right to appeal it as any of us would.

You are in fine form today Mikom :D

It's the drugs tayto. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd see this as a resigning matter, he got treated favourably by Fingleton.

Absolutely! Our banks were rotten and the blanket guarantee was too big of a measure to save those banks. Up to a certain sum perhaps but blanket guarantee - no way.

Banks and FF were all in on a scheme that, we are paying for and will do for a long time. It was reported last year that Brian Cowen played golf with Seanie Fitz the summer before the bank guarantee. The banks also lobbied the government back in 2005, 2006 for increased scope for borrowing. Banking regulator walks off scott free into the sunset.

Nothing was done on behave of FG as to an enquiry. Nothing. FF were deep into with those banks, now FG. Same arse, different cheek or something like that.

noodler wrote: »

If he does not feel his house in Portugal was subject to a certain tax then he has the right to appeal it as any of us would.

Did you read the terms of his mortgage?

Could he afford those loans on his income?

Management fees he signed up to when he bought the house in Portugal.

mikom wrote: »
    It's the drugs tayto. ;)

Hope the Swedish Mafia are not after you.

Hope the Swedish Mafia are not after you.

Hold on, let me deal with the FG/labour mafia first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

He refuses to pay a 'service charge' on his property, reason bring that he's unhappy with services received.

Just like we have the right not to pay a 'household charge' a 'charge' that's funding local 'services', because some of us are not happy with services received.

you at least see the similarity to this and the household charge, no?

hondasam wrote: »
    Did you read the terms of his mortgage?

Could he afford those loans on his income?

??

What exactly is your point? Outrageous loan given to person during boom?

Were all Politicians supposed to be able to predict the future better than the average homeowner who got burned?

Is this just anger because he got preferential loan terms?
    hondasam wrote: »
    Management fees he signed up to when he bought the house in Portugal.

He said he wasn't happy with the service - most apartment owners would raise the issue if certain services relating to the apartment weren't carried out to their satisfaction.

I'm all for keeping a leash on Government but all seems like pretty weak sauce for the faux outrage it has generated. If he is replaced then the next Minister will have the responsibility for the Household Charge - he is just a figurehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sure what might we expect from the impoverished millionaire? RESIGNATION

Ghandee wrote: »
    He refuses to pay a 'service charge' on his property, reason bring that he's unhappy with services received.

Just like we have the right not to pay a 'household charge' a 'charge' that's funding local 'services', because some of us are not happy with services received.

you at least see the similarity to this and the household charge, no?

In a very limited sense, I can see your point but the Household charge is a far, far broader charge that goes to fund many local services, libraries etc (EDIT - well ostensibly anyway). If people were allowed to withhold payment on the Household charge because they didn't like the quantity of books stocked in the library or something glib like that then there would be chaos.

Is this just anger because he got preferential loan terms?

He should not have got them, it's what's wrong with the country.
    How could he afford these loans based on his earnings at the time?

He said he wasn't happy with the service - most apartment owners would raise the issue if certain services relating to the apartment weren't carried out to their satisfaction.

I'm not happy he is asking me to sign up for a charge when I have no idea what it will cost me.
    He knew what he was signing when he bought the villa.

If you've no problem with politicians like McCreevey in a cosey club with bankers like Fingleton, probably no issue.

My problem is Burton and Varadkar criticising McCreevey for this and silence on this issue so far. I'd expect some condemnation in the next couple of days. I hate double standards like that. The Government parties aren't the only ones at it either, Higgins and his free envelopes spring to mind.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Zebra3 wrote: »
    They always were.

Two seperate brandings of the one political agenda.

I constantly asking members (and have been for years) in either, whats the political ideology differences between the parties?

I still have not got a straight answer besides a cleverly worded "Well, we are not the other guys!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Biggins wrote: »
    I constantly asking members (and have been for years) in either, whats the political ideology differences between the parties?

I still have not got a straight answer besides a cleverly worded "Well, we are not the other guys!"

I think the only difference is which side their grandfathers were on in the early 1920s.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I think the only difference is which side their grandfathers were on in the early 1920s.

That and no more!

How did Hogan know he could go to Fingers to get this "special" mortgage deal?
    Were there others getting "special" treatment too?
    There seems to be just as much of a cozy cartel between F.G. and the Bankers as there was between F.F. and the Bankers. Cronyism is alive and well in Irish politics still. You scratch my back .....

How did Hogan know he could go to Fingers to get this "special" mortgage deal?...

Now thats question that really should be asked.

Will it?

No.

FG, FF, and Labour don't want the exposure of skeletons they might have in their closets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

In FGs 2011 maninfesto, or maybe it was labours but I think it was FGs, it said that it was going to stamo out white collar crime.

If Kenny sits on this and does nothing, give us one good reason why they should remain in power to fulfill their term?

Biggins wrote: »
    Now thats question that really should be asked.

Will it?

No.

FG, FF, and Labour don't want the exposure of skeletons they might have in their closets!

What skeletons you reckon Labour might have?

I reckon they all have the same skeletons, they only surface when the media want us to know.

I can only guess where to begin.

Having seen them in operation many a time in the Dail and beyond it, one should not take just what you see in the Dail as the full truth.
    In the Dail debates you see them going at each other at times, however beyond the main arena they are very friendly at the best and worst of times.

They know the cameras is there now and to a certain extent, there is an equal acknowledgement that to put on a good show for their constituents is certainly a necessity.
    The point is however that again, beyond the camera coverage, they are deep in talk and then sometimes advise each other greatly to opportunities of which might be availing then or in the future which could be worth their while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

ilovesleep wrote: »
    ......., give us one good reason why they should remain in power to fulfill their term?

Is there actually a mechanism to get rid of a government in Ireland? (aside from armed insurrection that is?) How would this work in practice? Would the opposition have to instigate it? Would there be elections?

Sorry just curious as I've seen many governments step down in countries where there's actually some ethics involved in politics whereas here it seems to be the case that unless a politician actually gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar ehm....unless a politician actually gets caught with some dodgy moneyehm....errr....unless a politician actually gets caught committing fraud

:confused:

Advertisement