Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to be an accepting Catholic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Totus, how many Catholics would you say accept every teaching of Catholicism in Ireland? Everything would indicate that very few agree with every stance that it holds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

bluewolf wrote: »
    you can have a sense of community with a church that actually shares your beliefs and has masses too :confused:
    seriously, "everyone i know is one so i want to fit in too" is such a bad reason

you are completely at odds with the church...

Ah no, I'm not doing it to fit in, that'd be sad, I'm a Catholic because I want to be a Catholic. I'm not completely at odds with the church, i do agree with some aspects, just not all.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Totus, how many Catholics would you say accept every teaching of Catholicism in Ireland? Everything would indicate that very few agree with every stance that it holds.

You see, I completely agree with you here. The world is changing so much that people have to change too. Who am I to say that two men in loving relationship cant marry? Or that the people in Africa, for example, shouldn't use condoms therefore spreading AIDS or bringing children into a life of starving and hardship? I don't know if I'm getting my point across here righty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Onesimus: Neither you nor the church has a monopoly on love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

Corkfeen wrote: »

That's why I believe we are in the time of the Great Apostasy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Onesimus wrote: »
    Yes the Love that belongs to the world is something that can be casually tossed aside because it is not authentic and the Love I have for my wife is not of this world. So I therefore cannot explain this Christ like love to someone who has not developed or tasted this authentic love of Christ.

I'm not being provocative here, trying to understand...

Do you think the love I have for my husband is "of this world" and could be reasonably be tossed aside? That it is not "authentic"? That if some part of my relationship fell foul of your standards, I could be asked to give it up (or condemned for persisting with it)?

If so, it seems quite reasonable for me to suppose you resist from using the words "in love" to describe the feelings shared by a gay couple, as these feelings, just like my own, are not "authentic love".

Is the love you share with your wife somehow more special than those I share with my loved ones?
    The outlook of those who are already homosexual

Not sure what you mean by "already homosexual"?
    Why? because they have sought and tasted the sweetness and authentic Love of Christ. They have ( as the Gospel tells us ) found that treasure that they do not want to let go of.

That's all well and good for those who share your religious belief - their choice, their life. What of those who do not share your religious belief? You want to impose this standard on these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Do you think the love I have for my husband is "of this world" and could be reasonably be tossed aside? That it is not "authentic"? That if some part of my relationship fell foul of your standards, I could be asked to give it up (or condemned for persisting with it)?

If so, it seems quite reasonable for me to suppose you resist from using the words "in love" to describe the feelings shared by a gay couple, as these feelings, just like my own, are not "authentic love".

Only Christ searches all hearts and is the Judge of all, I do not condemn/judge people for being in any kind of sexual relationship, I just strongly disagree and choose Christs authentic vision. being in a straight relationship, you are already on just one of many paths that lead to an authentic and perfect love in Christ. If your relationship does not involve Christ then no, it is not ''authentic'', but would retain certain charecteriscs of an authentic relationship. But it has the potential to be truly authentic if you accept the invite of the Gospel and Christ into your relationship. If you choose to seek a relationship with Christ that is. Then it becomes authentic love.

The same goes for a homosexual couple. They have the potential to have an authentic relationship with one another if they invite Christ into that relationship because some of the aspects of their relationship have certain authentic qualities that are not quite yet brought to authentic perfection. And in so doing, they will then be able to root out the superflous nature of their ''sexual'' relationship or anything that did not reflect authentic love. Because once getting to know Christ like many other homosexual Catholics, they then recognize that what they were doing was not ''perfect love'' and that they were only indulging in their idea of what they thought love to be. They then decide to pick up their Cross and follow Jesus Christ and shed all that is of the world away from them.
    Is the love you share with your wife somehow more special than those I share with my loved ones?

Yes it is because it involves Jesus Christ.

Not sure what you mean by "already homosexual"?

it was in response to you asking me would my view change if I felt sexual attraction for a man.

That's all well and good for those who share your religious belief - their choice, their life. What of those who do not share your religious belief? You want to impose this standard on these people?

Nobody is imposing any kind of standard Emma. it is an invitation. You accept the invite or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Only Christ searches all hearts and is the Judge of all, I do not condemn/judge people for being in any kind of sexual relationship, I just strongly disagree and choose Christs authentic vision. being in a straight relationship, you are already on just one of many paths that lead to an authentic and perfect love in Christ. If your relationship does not involve Christ then no, it is not ''authentic'', but would retain certain charecteriscs of an authentic relationship. But it has the potential to be truly authentic if you accept the invite of the Gospel and Christ into your relationship. If you choose to seek a relationship with Christ that is. Then it becomes authentic love.

The same goes for a homosexual couple. They have the potential to have an authentic relationship with one another if they invite Christ into that relationship because some of the aspects of their relationship have certain authentic qualities that are not quite yet brought to authentic perfection. And in so doing, they will then be able to root out the superflous nature of their ''sexual'' relationship or anything that did not reflect authentic love. Because once getting to know Christ like many other homosexual Catholics, they then recognize that what they were doing was not ''perfect love'' and that they were only indulging in their idea of what they thought love to be. They then decide to pick up their Cross and follow Jesus Christ and shed all that is of the world away from them.

Thank you for your patience and explanation. Are you permissive of gay relationships if they are celibate?
    Nobody is imposing any kind of standard Emma. it is an invitation. You accept the invite or you don't.

Would you vote in a manner which allows equality in marriage (and in life) for gay couples? If not, are you not imposing your standards on others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Thank you for your patience and explanation. Are you permissive of gay relationships if they are celibate?

I do not have the ability to effect two peoples free will. Therefore it is not for me to ''permit''. But should you organize your question in a different way such as ''Do you agree it is ok for two gay couples to have a relationship if they are celibate, is one that is in the vision of Christ?, then my answer would be no. If their relationship with one another is as brother and sister ( or brother to brother ) like any other Christian mans relationship is with his brother then yes that is fine. But a celibate relationship that involves sexual attraction for the same sex is not in Christs vision at all. Because as I mentioned before, commiting the mortal sin of a homosexual act does not have to be one that is external, but can be internal.

Would you vote in a manner which allows equality in marriage (and in life) for gay couples? If not, are you not imposing your standards on others?

No to vote yes to allow homosexuals the ability to Marry by a Catholic would be seen as participating in such a sin being the correct world view. It is not an imposition at all. I am simply exercising my right to ''disagree'' by voting no.

The same could be said for homosexuals who vote yes. They could be said to be imposing upon us their views when in actual fact are just exercising their right to vote on a subject they agree or disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Does the church recognise a civil marriage as a marriage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

eviltwin wrote: »
    Does the church recognise a civil marriage as a marriage?

It depends. The Catholic Church recognises civil marriages where neither party is Catholic, but if a Catholic is involved they are required to get a dispensation from their bishop in order to marry in a civil ceremony.

Most Protestant denominations fully recognise civil marriages - I know the Church of Ireland allows for a blessing to be given but the couple would be seen as already having being married in the civil ceremony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    It depends. The Catholic Church recognises civil marriages where neither party is Catholic, but if a Catholic is involved they are required to get a dispensation from their bishop in order to marry in a civil ceremony.

Most Protestant denominations fully recognise civil marriages - I know the Church of Ireland allows for a blessing to be given but the couple would be seen as already having being married in the civil ceremony.
    The Catholic Church recognises civil marriages as legal arrangements. In the case of a Catholic wanting an annulment from a non-Catholic, it's usually not a problem due to the non-canonical nature of the marriage. At least, that's the understanding I was given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

crfcaio wrote: »
    Is there any way I can exert the religion while still holding on to my personal opinions about certain subjects? I've always liked how being in a religious group - at least that's my idea of it - you don't feel "alone" anymore - there are people who share the same views and faith as you do.

Any and all help is appreciated.
    Just out of interest - what authority do you believe that God has over man?

It seems like you want to put God second and you first.

I understand your question and I think it could be valid if you were asking simply why Christians believe that sexuality should be expressed only within marriage, but you seem to want to make yourself Lord while still believe in your own personal God that you control.

What's the point in believing in a god that is just a puppet that you can control? Why would I believe in such a cheapened and compromised God?

God is in control. He is Lord, not us no matter how much we want to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Mintoz

Rasheed wrote: »
    You see, I completely agree with you here. The world is changing so much that people have to change too. Who am I to say that two men in loving relationship cant marry? Or that the people in Africa, for example, shouldn't use condoms therefore spreading AIDS or bringing children into a life of starving and hardship? I don't know if I'm getting my point across here righty!

The teachings are old, because the truth doesn't change. Saying that people must change because the world does is folly, sorry but it is. What if the world is moving in the wrong direction, away from God, would you think Christ would want his followers to move away from him, and thus straight into the hands of Satan?

That's just naive.

doctoremma wrote: »

A Catholic, or the church does not impose their standards - but Gods standards, what they beleive to be Gods standards as a result of divine revelations from scripture. Big difference.

I am a Catholic also but like yourself, have difficulty in follownig all it's teaching. I think homosexuals have the right to find love and happiness and marry their partner as much as anyone.

I think contraception is a basic human choice as is abortion. I may not agree with something but I do believe everyone should have a choice.

To give you my point of view, I always have and hopefully always will be a Catholic. I won't accept that it's anyones right to tell me that I can't be a Catholic because I don't fully follow it's code. I try to live my life as best I can and if thats not good enough, well that's between me and my God and nobody else.

I am shocked, no really. At least you were honest and grouped contraception with abortion, because at heart, in principle, they are the same thing: Treating Gods children, life, like some sort of nasty infection or disease. This thinking is not compatible with loving God with all your heart, all your mind, and all your soul. It serves to reduce the amount of Christians in the world, thus comforming to the enemy's 'big plan'. Meanwhile the Muslims are producing on average 8 kids, and taking over Europe,

Each child, even in the womb, is destined for an eternal life of joy with God, and frustrating his plan for life, is just not acceptable, in all honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Mintoz wrote: »
    A Catholic, or the church does not impose their standards - but Gods standards, what they beleive to be Gods standards as a result of divine revelations from scripture. Big difference.

It's acceptable to impose god standards in law upon everyone? Even though not everyone believes in this belief? I thought one of the big things with Christianity was that people had free will... It's not exactly free will when you choose to prevent them from making their choices in life.

philologos wrote: »
    Just out of interest - what authority do you believe that God has over man?

It seems like you want to put God second and you first.

I understand your question and I think it could be valid if you were asking simply why Christians believe that sexuality should be expressed only within marriage, but you seem to want to make yourself Lord while still believe in your own personal God that you control.

What's the point in believing in a god that is just a puppet that you can control? Why would I believe in such a cheapened and compromised God?

God is in control. He is Lord, not us no matter how much we want to be.

I'm surprised to see such a spirited defence of the teaching authority of the Catholic Church coming from you Philologos ;-)

As you come from a reformed perspective, would you not accept that everyone has the right to study and interpret scripture for themselves? I didn't get the impression that the OP was setting themselves up as God, just that they are seeking God, want to be part of a worshipping community, but have serious questions over certain teachings - as very many Christians do.

mrac wrote: »
    This is something I absolutely hate when discussing with a religious person, "this baseless opinion I just put forward is not mine its gods therefore its correct and doesn't need backing up, not only that it's right even in the face of contradictory evidence."

I never said we know, you cannot know, it's a matter of faith and reason. Whatever evidence you claim to have, cannot be evidence, it's impossible to prove.

If the church beleives the teachings are Gods standard, then it's within reason for them to voice it. I'm sure you'd agree.

I'm surprised to see such a spirited defence of the teaching authority of the Catholic Church coming from you Philologos ;-)

As you come from a reformed perspective, would you not accept that everyone has the right to study and interpret scripture for themselves? I didn't get the impression that the OP was setting themselves up as God, just that they are seeking God, want to be part of a worshipping community, but have serious questions over certain teachings - as very many Christians do.

From the perspective of a finite human mind, who does not know everything, it's unreasonable to believe each individual can interpret scripture correctly each time. There are times when it seems God contradicts himself, but that's only because it's a human being reading it, so it makes sense its left up to a singular authority, magisterium.

• Advertisement

. It serves to reduce the amount of Christians in the world, thus comforming to the enemy's 'big plan'. Meanwhile the Muslims are producing on average 8 kids, and taking over Europe,

Each child, even in the womb, is destined for an eternal life of joy with God, and frustrating his plan for life, is just not acceptable, in all honesty.

Oh sweet Jesus are you serious?

I agree with the teaching authority of God and Him alone, and I believe in many cases the RCC are actually teaching that.

Although an evangelical. I can see something in this argument that makes me concerned. I'm very used to liberal Christianity, and in particular liberal Protestantism.

However, I think both parties can be concerned when people aren't arguing what does God actually say on this issue, and shifts to how can I make my view more important than God in my life and still be a Christian.

I think most of us should be able to agree, that Jesus unequivocally said to seek the Kingdom of God first, and that Jesus said that one can't serve two masters. We serve Him first.

What debate would be the most productive is where God's word actually stands on the matter.

If you will this is something of pan-Christian interest.

I would accept that God has revealed His word, that God is real, and that God has spoken to us. As a result I think the Bible should be handled with the utmost care, and that there will be consequences for those who treat it lightly.

I believe the individual Christian should read the Bible for themselves, but I don't agree that we're lost in interpretation. Thankfully, the Bible isn't just a book, it has an author, and we can grow in Him, and we can ask Him for guidance in our lives.

If God wasn't real, sure, everyone could be right. If God is real and He has spoken, His word should be taken seriously, that is if we're going to come before the judgement seat of Christ (2 Corinthians 5).

I think treating God's word lightly goes for both parties. The conservatives in using Scripture as a battering ram rather than God's inspired word, and many liberals in reading Scripture, but in ignoring what doesn't suit.

I say, come let us reason together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

crfcaio wrote: »
    Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here!

So, as some of you might know, Catholicism in South America is HUGE - thank you (I guess) Spaniards and Portuguese colonizers -, and I was "raised" a Catholic - after all, I come from a country where almost 70% of its people are Catholics.

I sometimes feel like there's something missing in my life - I always thought it was religion and faith. The problem? Well, according to what I know, the bible says several things are wrong, include homosexuality. I am not homosexual, but I've met people who are, and there's nothing wrong with them, and I can't understand why God would create something that is against His will. Aren't all men made after His image?

So, for this reason, I've never dwelt deep enough in Catholicism - because of what it says is okay and what's not.

Is there any way I can exert the religion while still holding on to my personal opinions about certain subjects? I've always liked how being in a religious group - at least that's my idea of it - you don't feel "alone" anymore - there are people who share the same views and faith as you do.

Any and all help is appreciated.

I see from your post history that you are a young brazilian /american man living in LA. (I love LA). And for some strange reason you like Irish people!:eek:
    Your question for an 18 year old is quite reasonable. Jesus said "ask and you will receive, seek and you will find, knock and it will be opened unto you". You have answered your question in your own post. You are a catholic. You like being a catholic, but as yet you haven't seriously studied what that entails. All you have to do is continue practising your faith and continue searching. Don't expect to get all the answers to everything just at once.
    A group that might interest you is http://www.youth2000usa.org/index.cfm?load=page&page=167 . There you will find people your own age with the same questions.
    A good source of reading material is http://www.ignatius.com/

That's a good place to start but there are many others if they don't suit your personality.

Oh sweet Jesus are you serious?

Yes, I'm serious. Christians are at war, it may be comforting to tell ourselves we're not, but that's just denial. Muslims will be in control of Europe in another 30 years or so. The demographics are worrying.

God has promised that our enemies will not prevail over us, if we keep his commandments. Well, most of Europe and America don't, not as long as they worship other Gods, and continue to abort, contracept and serve Mammon. He's giving Muslims Europe because they deserve it.

Sounds extremist doesn't it? God wants saints, heroes, not watered down, weak, 'nice people'. He wants people who have passion for the truth, for him.

I agree with the teaching authority of God and Him alone, and I believe in many cases the RCC are actually teaching that.

Although an evangelical. I can see something in this argument that makes me concerned. I'm very used to liberal Christianity, and in particular liberal Protestantism.

However, I think both parties can be concerned when people aren't arguing what does God actually say on this issue, and shifts to how can I make my view more important than God in my life and still be a Christian.

I think most of us should be able to agree, that Jesus unequivocally said to seek the Kingdom of God first, and that Jesus said that one can't serve two masters. We serve Him first.

What debate would be the most productive is where God's word actually stands on the matter.

If you will this is something of pan-Christian interest.

I would accept that God has revealed His word, that God is real, and that God has spoken to us. As a result I think the Bible should be handled with the utmost care, and that there will be consequences for those who treat it lightly.

I believe the individual Christian should read the Bible for themselves, but I don't agree that we're lost in interpretation. Thankfully, the Bible isn't just a book, it has an author, and we can grow in Him, and we can ask Him for guidance in our lives.

If God wasn't real, sure, everyone could be right. If God is real and He has spoken, His word should be taken seriously, that is if we're going to come before the judgement seat of Christ (2 Corinthians 5).

I think treating God's word lightly goes for both parties. The conservatives in using Scripture as a battering ram rather than God's inspired word, and many liberals in reading Scripture, but in ignoring what doesn't suit.

I don't find a huge amount to disagree with here, and I'd agree wholeheartedly with the last two paragraphs. I'm pretty liberal-minded myself, but I always try to ask myself am I just seeing what I want to see. The Bible sets some pretty high standards, and most of them have nothing to do with sex, though you wouldn't think so from this forum sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mrac

Yes, I'm serious. Christians are at war, it may be comforting to tell ourselves we're not, but that's just denial. Muslims will be in control of Europe in another 30 years or so. The demographics are worrying.

God has promised that our enemies will not prevail over us, if we keep his commandments. Well, most of Europe and America don't, not as long as they worship other Gods, and continue to abort, contracept and serve Mammon. He's giving Muslims Europe because they deserve it.

Sounds extremist doesn't it? God wants saints, heroes, not watered down, weak, 'nice people'. He wants people who have passion for the truth, for him.

You are a scary man...or a funny troll, I cant tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

If we could all do that we might get somewhere. Good post Philo.

I don't find a huge amount to disagree with here, and I'd agree wholeheartedly with the last two paragraphs. I'm pretty liberal-minded myself, but I always try to ask myself am I just seeing what I want to see. The Bible sets some pretty high standards, and most of them have nothing to do with sex, though you wouldn't think so from this forum sometimes!

I know, unfortunately. I think this forum lacks in many ways in which it could be a better witness. I'd rather that every thread wasn't about abortion or same-sex marriage, but I don't think this is always down to Christian posters. I think that on many occasions non-believers have brought this topic up time and time again.

When the topic does come up however, I believe it is important to remain faithful to what the Bible is saying, in a loving and compassionate manner.

If I had more time I'd like to continue to study series I started in Mark. I might see if I can get another thread up in the next few weeks. I always found those were constructive in looking to see who Jesus is and why He came.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes because it is a distorted ''love'' that is not the Love of Christ. The word ''Love'' carries a variety of meanings in cultures, religions and philosophical groups around the world.

But why would God create some people as homosexual who are to forever feel guilty about acting out their natural instincts? Why are they denyed the possibiliy of looking forward to a proper heterosexiual relationship in marriage?

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    But why would God create some people as homosexual who are to forever feel guilty about acting out their natural instincts? Why are they denyed the possibiliy of looking forward to a proper heterosexiual relationship in marriage?

I don't think God creates people to be homosexual or heterosexual. Sexuality isn't an identity and I don't think it should be, God creates people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement