Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank - Yappy Customers!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Boombastic wrote: »
    We could send our dinner in the post to them

Yeah as long as they send you a stamped, self addressed envelope first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I worked in the IT dept of a business in Dublin 11 years ago. The business employed approx 250 staff, so it was sizable enough. The company's financial accounts were lost when a member of the IT staff formatted a PC without backing it up, there was no other backup copy of the accounts. I was in the server room one day when someone almost deleted a file containing all customer details, order numbers etc.
    I accidentally discovered one day, that an excel spreadsheet containing customer credit card details, numbers, addresses, phone numbers, could be accessed by any workstation in the building as the folder wasn't password protected. People are 80% efficient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

I worked in the IT dept of a business in Dublin 11 years ago. The business employed approx 250 staff, so it was sizable enough. The company's financial accounts were lost when a member of the IT staff formatted a PC without backing it up, there was no other backup copy of the accounts. I was in the server room one day when someone almost deleted a file containing all customer details, order numbers etc.
    I accidentally discovered one day, that an excel spreadsheet containing customer credit card details, numbers, addresses, phone numbers, could be accessed by any workstation in the building as the folder wasn't password protected. People are 80% efficient.

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Even 11 years ago they should have been protecting by permissions rather than passwords? Don't seem legit to me brah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Bambi wrote: »
    Even 11 years ago they should have been protecting by permissions rather than passwords? Don't seem legit to me brah

sorry, permissions is what I meant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

And what about people who are living hand to mouth right now? There's plenty who are like that, who may not be destitute, but have earmarked most of their wages before it gets paid.
    There are plenty of people out there who live salary cheque to salary cheque not because of bad luck or circumstances or a huge mortgage but because of very poor money management and splurging on crap that they don't need.

I could understand people being in trouble if the ATMs stopped working overnight but that is not what has happened here. Such is people's dependence on their salary/SW that one day after this mess started I heard some complaining that they didn't have money to buy food or put fuel in the car.

Maybe this UB debacle will make them think again about their lifestyle. It may turn out to be a positive thing for them. It could also be a positive for the country in general. I wonder how much less would the State be paying out in social welfare if people who earned good money during the boom had put some aside so that they could fund their own existence when times got tough instead of relying on (and passing the means test for) Jobseekers Allowance. It sickens me to hear of builders who boasted of earning 1500+ into their hand per week for years now eligible for JSA, did they never hear of saving, gobsh*tes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I cashed €4k worth of cheques in Ulster Bank today. No hassle at all, pleasant staff, barely even a queue & I don't even bank with them.

There was one grumpy fuck in front of me giving the teller a hard time though. Like it was her fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hanley wrote: »
    If you posted that 3 weeks ago I might have agreed. At this point, it's bullsh*t. I'm glad I'm not a customer. Was giving serious consideration to opening a business account with them a while ago, certainly not now.

They've displayed a fundamental lack of untrustworthiness. Instead of manning up and giving a realistic timescale to resolution, they've employed a death by a thousand cuts strategy.

It's pathetically miserable customer service and I hope they suffer financially. At the very minimum compensation to the extent that they would charge their customers in interest, penalties, referral fees etc etc MUST be recommended and enforced by the central bank if there is any sense of justice to be gotten from this.

We'll probably end up throwing tax-payers' money at em if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Smcgie wrote: »
    Is there anyone else out there that's sick to death of the whining of some Ulster bank customers? I have 4 accounts with them and I have the common sense to
    know that a technical problem can happen to any business.

My accounts are all over the place, but I know they will put them right, I know that they haven't ran away with the money, I know it's not the frontline staffs fault, I know I will be compensated fully and maybe a freebie for the disruption and I don't bloody yap on and on about it an IT glitch or report it to the ombudsman etc etc!

This country is full of people waiting for the smallest of reasons to cry and the politicians make me sick by jumping on the bandwagon and bringing the CEOs into finance meeting to highlight bonuses - YEA like the bonus the bank man gets caused the IT glitch.

Where has the common sense gone in this country :(

I have a lot of a common sense, and am a reasonable man...
    I know all you know, but let me know how your claims for charges etc worked out. Since you have 4 accounts with them, this could be a fun...

BTW I did not report it to Ombudsman, i do not yap about their IT anymore, I just want my money!
    As for the CEO bonuses - no chance i would get one if i managed company i work for at this moment - i would be lucky if they let me drive a forklift, or pick the orders...
    I know how AH works, so don't expect miracle, but some understanding for people like me - who work hard for free - would be nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

BrianD3 wrote: »
    There are plenty of people out there who live salary cheque to salary cheque not because of bad luck or circumstances or a huge mortgage but because of very poor money management and splurging on crap that they don't need.

I could understand people being in trouble if the ATMs stopped working overnight but that is not what has happened here. Such is people's dependence on their salary/SW that one day after this mess started I heard some complaining that they didn't have money to buy food or put fuel in the car.

Maybe this UB debacle will make them think again about their lifestyle. It may turn out to be a positive thing for them. It could also be a positive for the country in general. I wonder how much less would the State be paying out in social welfare if people who earned good money during the boom had put some aside so that they could fund their own existence when times got tough instead of relying on (and passing the means test for) Jobseekers Allowance. It sickens me to hear of builders who boasted of earning 1500+ into their hand per week for years now eligible for JSA, did they never hear of saving, gobsh*tes.

It's not up to you how people spend their money- if they need it to buy groceries for the week or if they're going out on the lash- it's still THEIR money and they've earned it. You don't get to dictate how they should manage their money-the fact is, they were supposed to get paid on the Thursday/Friday and they didn't. And it's the bank's fault. So the bank should be blamed (or in this case, their parent company).

I am at a loss to see people slagging off those complaining about this mess. It must be so nice in those ivory towers of yours.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

It's not up to you how people spend their money- if they need it to buy groceries for the week or if they're going out on the lash- it's still THEIR money and they've earned it. You don't get to dictate how they should manage their money-the fact is, they were supposed to get paid on the Thursday/Friday and they didn't. And it's the bank's fault. So the bank should be blamed (or in this case, their parent company).

I am at a loss to see people slagging off those complaining about this mess. It must be so nice in those ivory towers of yours.

so you have people in ivory towers in jobs where no one ever makes a mistake, complaining about a group of people who made a mistake, complaining that their idiots for complaining about the people who made a mistake because everyone makes mistakes?

so sorry, I'm lost who's left in the tower?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

You don't get to dictate how they should manage their money-.

Some people need to learn how to manage their money. Depending on one account in one bank, with no cash on hand as a float is a bit silly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

prinz wrote: »
    Some people need to learn how to manage their money. Depending on one account in one bank, with no cash on hand as a float is a bit silly tbh.

Well, some people have no other money, apart from their salary going through their account every month. Bit silly allright, but I remember the time when companies started to force their employees into bank accounts...
    I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I'm not an Ulster customer because I'm not english but I can see why ppl are getting pissed off.
    Are you ****ing joking me?

puffishoes wrote: »
    so you have people in ivory towers in jobs where no one ever makes a mistake, complaining about a group of people who made a mistake, complaining that their idiots for complaining about the people who made a mistake because everyone makes mistakes?

so sorry, I'm lost who's left in the tower?

sorry, this is more than an "uh-oh" on the job. We all make mistakes on the job. I'm annoyed at the lack of clear communication and humility shown on UB's part.

I'm also annoyed at the people who are so sanctimonious about those who don't have rainy day money on standby. Not everyone is in the position to have it. It's nobody's business as to why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

My point is, without trying to sound like Bono or bob geldoff, there are people starving in the world and all people have to yap about in Ireland is that their bank has messed Up.

Prioritys are wrong, very wrong

You sound like Bono or Bon Geldoff's slow protege.

What in the name of flange does a bank not operating effectively have to do with people starving? As if we weren't complaining about ulster bank we would have this global hunger solution thing knocked out by close of play today.

You're talking utter ****.

You made me LOL. People can get thier money just bring your payslip in an
    they give it to you, like every other christian in Ireland had to do instead of yapping on and ringing Joe about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

like every other christian in Ireland

You're weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I will comment on how people manage their money as prudent individuals such as myself end up paying for these people in the long run. The difficulties many are having due to the Ulster Bank issue is a symptom of a much bigger problem. Spend, spend, spend and when they lose their job, reach retirement age, need nursing home care etc. they "have nothing" and others end up paying for it.

As for "going out on the lash" - anyone who does this on a regular basis and has nothing in reserve in their bank account as a result of it is a f*ckin idiot.

As I said this Ulster Bank problem might have the positive effect of changing people's attitudes. Plenty of dopes out there who need a wake up call.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A glitch OP!

A glitch is usally sorted out in a day or two OP. This is a major fcuk up, and I'm not even an Ulster Bank customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

As for "going out on the lash" - anyone who does this on a regular basis and has nothing in reserve in their bank account as a result of it is a f*ckin idiot.

Even if they had it anything in reserve it wouldn't be much good to them.

• Advertisement

I will comment on how people manage their money as prudent individuals such as myself end up paying for these people in the long run. The difficulties many are having due to the Ulster Bank issue is a symptom of a much bigger problem. Spend, spend, spend and when they lose their job, reach retirement age, need nursing home care etc. they "have nothing" and others end up paying for it.

As I said this Ulster Bank problem might have the positive effect of changing people's attitudes. Plenty of dopes out there who need a wake up call.

I still think this attitude is incredibly patronising. I presume you've never been caught short the day or two before payday?

Incidently, I'm not one of those people with nothing in reserve- i do make sure i have savings. But in my previous job, where I made pittance, i simply didn't make enough to put money by each week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

My account is with UB & I have been caught up in the mess. Was due to be paid on the 22 June, got my money on Weds. Wasn't too badly affected. Have to say, the staff I was dealing with were brilliant. Felt very sorry for a girl, who was working behind the counter with an awful customer. These were not the cause of the problem, but they got some amount of crap thrown at them. If anyoe deserves compo its those kids, what a nightmare few weeks, god love them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

While it is inexcusable how long this mess has been going on for, I think Ulster Bank are still one of the best to bank with for current accounts. No charges, open on Saturday's, instant online chat to a customer service rep and Visa Debit cards.

Also, with this mess going on, they extended their hours til 8pm weekdays in a lot of branches and opened on Saturday's and Sunday's. If the same thing happened in BOI or AIB, you would NEVER see them open on a weekend.

Also, all the b*tching about not having access to your money. If you go into a UB branch with your payslip (or proof you are entitled to a social welfare payment/pension) and a bank statement and ID, they will give you cash on the spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Monife wrote: »
    While it is inexcusable how long this mess has been going on for, I think Ulster Bank are still one of the best to bank with for current accounts. No charges, open on Saturday's, instant online chat to a customer service rep and Visa Debit cards.

Also, with this mess going on, they extended their hours til 8pm weekdays in a lot of branches and opened on Saturday's and Sunday's. If the same thing happened in BOI or AIB, you would NEVER see them open on a weekend.

Also, all the b*tching about not having access to your money. If you go into a UB branch with your payslip (or proof you are entitled to a social welfare payment/pension) and a bank statement and ID, they will give you cash on the spot.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and they could'nt have been nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

sorry, this is more than an "uh-oh" on the job. We all make mistakes on the job. I'm annoyed at the lack of clear communication and humility shown on UB's part.

I'm also annoyed at the people who are so sanctimonious about those who don't have rainy day money on standby. Not everyone is in the position to have it. It's nobody's business as to why that is.

It doesn't take much to annoy you then..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have 4 accounts with them
    The great thing about AIB: I got paid today :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

One thing I'm actually warmed by is the understanding nature of people towards front line staff. Seems to be a far greater level of cop on amongst people than I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

the_syco wrote: »
    The great thing about AIB: I got paid today :P

That's not a great thing. It's the least you should expect from a bank. AIB are as crap as Ulsterbank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Monife wrote: »
    While it is inexcusable how long this mess has been going on for, I think Ulster Bank are still one of the best to bank with for current accounts. No charges...

Not for much longer: http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/end-of-free-banking-as-ulster-to-charge-for-account-3116133.html
    Ulster Bank is to shortly announce the end of automatic entitlement to fee-free banking, with a new charging structure expected by the end of the summer, the Irish Independent has learnt.

Sorry for the bad news if you didn't know this. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Biggins wrote: »

Yeah but are they really going to impose charges a couple of months after this fiasco? I think not, that would be suicidal from a business perspective. The only reason people will stay with them after this mess is because of their fee free banking and they would have to be retarded not to realise that.

Advertisement