Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank - Yappy Customers!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

OP people are mad because their lives have been hugely affected by this cock up for the last 3 weeks. People haven't had access to their wages/benefits. I don't know many people who wouldn't be annoyed by that- the bank's primary function is to allow you access to money that BELONGS to you. When they can't provide that, they can't be trusted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

prinz wrote: »
    As a matter of interest are UB visa debit cards working alright?

ye

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

i'm not a UB customer but i'll still be moving my money there from AIB once they've sorted the problem out. It won't put me off, what puts me off is AIBs new fees since the end of May 2012. I'll probably keep the AIB accounts open but i won't be using them very much at all!

They say that the average AIB user will now be charged approx. €176 in fees over the next year, it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Smcgie wrote: »
    Is there anyone else out there that's sick to death of the whining of some Ulster bank customers? I have 4 accounts with them and I have the common sense to
    know that a technical problem can happen to any business.

My accounts are all over the place, but I know they will put them right, I know that they haven't ran away with the money, I know it's not the frontline staffs fault, I know I will be compensated fully and maybe a freebie for the disruption and I don't bloody yap on and on about it an IT glitch or report it to the ombudsman etc etc!

This country is full of people waiting for the smallest of reasons to cry and the politicians make me sick by jumping on the bandwagon and bringing the CEOs into finance meeting to highlight bonuses - YEA like the bonus the bank man gets caused the IT glitch.

Where has the common sense gone in this country :(

Can you bend over a little further please?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Of course people should be annoyed - their DR plans appear to be non-existent. I - and many others here presumably - work with large IT systems and there's contingencies for such scenarios. However even if other systems do mess up, they generally don't have such a big effect as not being able to access your money would.

The only ones I'd feel a bit sorry for are the ground staff in the bank branches who are probably receiving a lot of abuse. Unless these staff also work on CA-7 scheduler updates then they're completely innocent. Questions should definitely be asked on who signed off on outsourcing IT work from employees with many years of experience to new staff, some of whom have only been on the job for a short period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

VEN wrote: »
    i'm not a UB customer but i'll still be moving my money there from AIB once they've sorted the problem out. It won't put me off, what puts me off is AIBs new fees since the end of May 2012. I'll probably keep the AIB accounts open but i won't be using them very much at all!

Ulster Bank are reviewing the fees situation ...i.e. they will likely introduce fees in the very near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Well, Ulster Bank CEO Jim Brown is refusing his annual bonus because of the screw-up.
    Banker waives bonus after IT chaos
    Ulster Bank chief executive Jim Brown said he was turning down this year’s annual bonus after a computer meltdown left thousands of customers without access to cash.

He pledged an independent inquiry into the IT collapse last month which affected customers across Ireland and said nobody would be left out of pocket. Details of a compensation package will be announced within days.

Despite insisting hours earlier he would not make a decision until his bonus was reviewed at the end of the year, he said last night he would not be taking it.

He said: “Everyone at Ulster Bank is completely focused on putting things right for our customers. “I don’t want there to be any doubt that this is also my personal priority. I am personally committed to re-earning the trust of our customers. I have therefore informed the Ulster Bank board that I do not wish to be considered for an annual bonus award for 2012.”

It followed calls from politicians north and south of the border to turn down his bonus this year as a goodwill gesture.

The bank initially estimated that about 100,000 customers across the country had been affected by the error, some with limited or no access to their funds at all.

Mr Brown told an Oireachtas committee the figure is much higher than originally believed and that at least half of Ireland’s 1.1 million customer base has suffered.

The bank has an estimated 1.8 million customer base across both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

The banking boss unreservedly apologised to customers and said the situation was unacceptable, but he ignored calls from Sinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty to reconsider his position.

“My focus right now is getting the bank back to normal as quickly as possible,” said Mr Brown.

He also refused to reveal his salary for this year to cross-party politicians in Dublin, adding that the figures would be disclosed in the bank’s annual report when published in October.

Full story at BreakingNews.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Hanley wrote: »
    They've displayed a fundamental lack of untrustworthiness. Instead of manning up and giving a realistic timescale to resolution, they've employed a death by a thousand cuts strategy.

It's pathetically miserable customer service and I hope they suffer financially.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Sums things up perfectly. The most important thing in a retail banker is that they can be trusted to look after your money and have it available to you when required. They've been failing miserably for over 3 weeks now.

To be honest, I think OP is probably related to the guy who stood on the bridge of the Titanic whispering into the captains ear as the ship was sinking: "That's great seamanship Cpt Smith, you're brilliant, sure anyone can have an auwl tip".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

bluewolf wrote: »
    ye

Ta, tomorrow is the first day I have to start using my UB account. I wasn't sure what the story was.
    Well, Ulster Bank CEO Jim Brown is refusing his annual bonus because of the screw-up.

He could always lodge it to my account. I wouldn't care if it took two months to update.

yes - mine is but the current account that its for is dwindling away with no sign of my wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Full story at BreakingNews.ie

Very nice of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

They are, provided you have money in your account.

Mine wasn't working for a while because my wage wasn't showing up as being paid in, so it wouldn't work.

They seem to have gotten the ball rolling today though because my wage has since gone in and all the DDs that were due aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Wow I must be the unluckiest person in Ireland so as I'm Irish and a customer with them. I must be the only Irish person in Ireland affected by this!

exactly - shoud have gone native my man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Is there anyone else out there that's sick to death of the whining of some Ulster bank customers? I have 4 accounts with them and I have the common sense to

My accounts are all over the place, but I know they will put them right, I know that they haven't ran away with the money, I know it's not the frontline staffs fault, I know I will be compensated fully and maybe a freebie for the disruption and I don't bloody yap on and on about it an IT glitch or report it to the ombudsman etc etc!

This country is full of people waiting for the smallest of reasons to cry and the politicians make me sick by jumping on the bandwagon and bringing the CEOs into finance meeting to highlight bonuses - YEA like the bonus the bank man gets caused the IT glitch.

Where has the common sense gone in this country :(

The smallest of reasons you say !! Are you for real or just taking the absolute p1ss. You think it's a small reason when the elderly couldn't get any money out to do a food shop ?
    And it's three weeks in now, a small technical glitch my arse.

There is a big cover up here than what everyone thinks in my opinion.
    It doesn't take 3 weeks to recover from a software glitch. Those systems are literally hanging together by a thread.

If it was me, I'd be running an absolute mile from such an incompetent firm.
    Of course they lowered the mortgage rates today, imagine if they didn't !!!

Very nice of him.

I know, it's great, isn't it? There'll be a movie about him next summer. Our newest superhero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hopefully UB and others will stop shipping jobs off to India

They want people's business but don't want to employ them

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sweenball

Where has the common sense gone in this country :([/QUOT

I agree 100 per cent.I have two accounts and their all over the place.I'm fortunate I have JUST enough cash to get by but I wont be running to the Ombudsman or ringing Joe Duffy.**** happens from time to time & it will be sorted in a week or two.

Sweenball wrote: »
    **** happens from time to time & it will be sorted in a week or two.

Yeah, that was exactly my attitude, almost word-for-word, 2 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I know, it's great, isn't it? There'll be a movie about him next summer. Our newest superhero.

I reckon he's hoping it'll all be forgotten about by then and will quietly award himself a double bonus:(

You're probably right, he'll award himself a "refusing a bonus" bonus.

• Advertisement

Sweenball wrote: »
    I'm fortunate I have JUST enough cash to get by but I wont be running to the Ombudsman or ringing Joe Duffy.**** happens from time to time & it will be sorted in a week or two.

And what about people who are living hand to mouth right now? There's plenty who are like that, who may not be destitute, but have earmarked most of their wages before it gets paid.

I agree, I wouldn't have much to say on the subject if this had lasted a week max, but 3 weeks? It's going to be a month before this gets sorted. I can't imagine what would happen to people with mortgages/children etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

My point is, without trying to sound like Bono or bob geldoff, there are people starving in the world and all people have to yap about in Ireland is that their bank has messed Up.

Prioritys are wrong, very wrong

My point is, without trying to sound like Bono or bob geldoff, there are people starving in the world and all people have to yap about in Ireland is that their bank has messed Up.

We'd feed them if we could get our money from UB

Why shouldn't people get the money they've worked hard to earn? If your boss decided not to pay you today, I'm sure you'd be up in arms.

It's all well and good to say people will get paid eventually, but they need it NOW. Food to buy, bills to pay etc.

Get off your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

its very easy to press a few buttons on a keyboard, upload a virus into the system and pass it off as a "glitch" to cover up whatever financial problems the institution has...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Just because there are worse problems in the world doesn't mean people can't complain about their own problems which do seriously affect their lives.

And this is not a minor problem: what about people who don't have access to cash and who have nothing in their bank accounts? They're struggling, and I wouldn't tell them "it could be worse, sure what about the starving children in Africa?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

nice_very wrote: »
    its very easy to press a few buttons on a keyboard, upload a virus into the system and pass it off as a "glitch" to cover up whatever financial problems the institution has...

oh you cynic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Just because there are worse problems in the world doesn't mean people can't complain about their own problems which do seriously affect their lives.

And this is not a minor problem: what about people who don't have access to cash and who have nothing in their bank accounts? They're struggling, and I wouldn't tell them "it could be worse, sure what about the starving children in Africa?"

#firstworldproblems4seriousproblems

You sound like Bono or Bon Geldoff's slow protege.

What in the name of flange does a bank not operating effectively have to do with people starving? As if we weren't complaining about ulster bank we would have this global hunger solution thing knocked out by close of play today.

You're talking utter ****.

• Advertisement

"it could be worse, sure what about the starving children in Africa?"

We could send our dinner in the post to them

Advertisement