Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain Warning & Potential Flooding (Friday / Saturday July 6th & 7th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

That band of rain currently over Yorkshire / Nth of England - is that heading in the direction of Dublin/Wicklow for this afternoon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

211962.png

ECM fairly spot on so far.

flood1.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Some heavy rain imminent here if you go by the radar which is not always that accurate.

I have given the thread a Level 1 status due to the risk of flash flooding in heavier downpours especially on eastern seaboard. Will review situation later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

By the look of raintoday.co.uk some of the more intense bursts will make landfall over Dublin in the next 2 hours.

I can see the 20-25mm/h rates, but the system seems to be moving quite briskly and will probably pass through by early evening

I dont see coastal flooding being a big issue in the east, pressure is relatively high, winds remaining northerly, although high tide is at 14.17 What do people think is the biggest risk, saturated ground and catchments or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Looks like a few flashes out in the Irish sea. How far inland could the heavy rain come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Seems to be some electrical activity heading for Wicklow according to sat24.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

can anyone tell me what time i can cut the lawn tomorrow :p

from the dry northwest (sorry have to milk this after year on year of miserable wet summers probably wont get another opportunity for years)

hmmm looks like tommorrow afternoon /evening

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

No wonder holiday bookings to the sun are up over 20% on last year, the exodus from the rain drenched British Isles is well and truly underway!

And amidst all this kerfuffle still no one can come up with a decent explanation as to why it's been so bad for the past 13 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Big Tone wrote: »
    And amidst all this kerfuffle still no one can come up with a decent explanation as to why it's been so bad for the past 13 weeks!

I think that's an unacceptably statement tbh.

It's been explained ten times a day and forecast 12 months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

No wonder holiday bookings to the sun are up over 20% on last year, the exodus from the rain drenched British Isles is well and truly underway!

A wet summer in Ireland surprises you?

There has been some decent weather in the last 13 weeks. I remember a week of 20+ at the end of May. Generally its been worse than usual but its hardly unexpected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A wet summer in Ireland surprises you?

There has been some decent weather in the last 13 weeks. I remember a week of 20+ at the end of May. Generally its been worse than usual but its hardly unexpected.

In fairness, we have seen rercord levels of rainfall last month across many parts of Ireland. It has been worse than your typical Irish summer for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This is a decent explanation - not that previous explanations on here weren't.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18689301

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

redsunset wrote: »
    OSM pic with rain211962.png

What site is that from? Looks details and is built on OSM maps, which I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Net Weather.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Moderate to heavy rain here now in south Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Getting quite heavy here in Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

dexter647 wrote: »
    Moderate to heavy rain here now in south Laois
    So far rain has not been heavy here in north dublin , will north dublin even get much , looks like wicklow will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

mcriot29 wrote: »
    So far rain has not been heavy here in north dublin , will north dublin even get much , looks like wicklow will
    bloody heavy enough when your out in it ;)
    coming down steady now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Chucking down in Dun Laoghaire now, very heavy.

Mad heavy rain here the last 20 min. Lots of surface water on roads. Traffic crawling in heaviest spell. Visibility very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

cotton wrote: »
    Chucking down in Dun Laoghaire now, very heavy.

Think there was a flash and a rumble in Cabinteely, Rain just went up a few notches for a few mins.

It ahs selltled down to merely pelting down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I keep losing satellite signal.

Raining at about 25 to 30mm/hr, a high so far of 43mm/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Would I be right in saying this is going to push in a southernly direction throughout the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

M&S* wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying this is going to push in a southernly direction throughout the evening?

Hopefully,,,just a few drops here all day so far... :(

Edit; Raining a bit heavier now...Not sure if it's just a passing shower or not though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Of course when it's just plain old rain, South Dublin gets battered (just like last October) but when there's thunderstorms across the rest of the country, it's blue skies here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I just drove the N7 and M8 from Dublin to Cork and it's was ABSOLUTELY pouring rain for the whole route pretty much. There was very poor visibility for a lot of the journey.

It's extremely heavy in Cork City at the moment too.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see major flooding again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think this event should soon begin to wind down and most places will now see less than 5 mms additional rainfall, possibly 10 mms in a few parts of the north later from a secondary wave expected late overnight.

Tomorrow should be rather unsettled but no very organized pattern of showers, just the remnants of the overnight activity dispersing southwards perhaps more towards western half of the country but nowhere ruled out for a quick 2-3 mms.

There was a heavy batch of rain in phase with this event over southwest England and that could become quite active but over the ocean south of Cork and Waterford tonight. Might get the odd flash of lightning in that direction as a result, as the land area of rainfall moves away to join with that system.

Seems like this has been a moderate rather than heavy event for most areas affected, but the cumulative effects are the big problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement