Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain Warning & Potential Flooding (Friday / Saturday July 6th & 7th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

nilhg wrote: »
    I'm ( along with reportedly 9000 others) doing the Ring of Kerry cycle on Saturday morning, what I'm seeing suggests that the worst will be over by our 6AM start time, if anyone thinks different could you keep your opinion to yourself till I'm on the road down tomorrow.:D

Hopefully it'll clear in time, 180km in the wet isn't an attractive proposition.

From M.T. Cranium the weather doesn't sound too bad :o:

"SATURDAY ... Overnight heavy rains in the southeast (10-20 mms), then some improvement with winds backing to northerly, further showers developing but these more widely scattered around the country, 3-5 mms further rain with these, morning lows 11-13 C and afternoon highs 16-18 C.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Latest from Evelyn

211857.png

211858.png

211859.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

redsunset wrote: »
    Latest from Evelyn

Seems to have nicely gone into more detail for its potential.

Still waiting on whoever is back in the HQ in Glasnevin to put out a Weather Warning....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest GFS has the heaviest stuff staying in the UK and not going across the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Latest GFS has the heaviest stuff staying in the UK and not going across the Irish Sea.

A very odd looking run indeed... would take that with a pinch of salt until the the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Research-driven result here, but would expect this system to be highly charged and full of lightning (peak for this would be 0300h Saturday).

While the GFS may have coughed up a bit there, the GEM model continues to show a 6-12 hour shot of heavy rainfall across the southeast around end of Friday start of Saturday time frame.

Should underscore however that this forecast will probably be in some doubt until Friday morning as the system develops across England.

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Weather Alert for Leinster and East Munster.
    A spell of heavy and possibly thundery rain will move in from the Irish Sea during Friday afternoon and evening and will continue overnight. Totals of 25 to 40 mm are likely with the highest totals expected over east and south Leinster. Valid from 06/1200 to 07/0600

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

211892.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

:( for feck sake i'm only after coming down to youghal today. glorious sunshine today.

tomorrow stuck in a caravan, not fun. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

This is a disaster for the farming sector. Never seen the fields so wet for the time of year, it is getting depressing.

Already at 39mm for the month so far, so this is getting a bit ridiculous now...

Min wrote: »
    This is a disaster for the farming sector. Never seen the fields so wet for the time of year, it is getting depressing.

Already at 39mm for the month so far, so this is getting a bit ridiculous now...

Yes the ground is soaked. Local farmers in bother here too, fields of potatoes are rotted in the ground. Looks like some fields will be flooded again around here, pouring out onto roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest EMHI HIRLAM cloud forecast for 6pm tomorrow eve has the occlusion slicing down over the SE half of the country before buckling back over more northern areas later in the night (Evelyn also mentioned potential flooding risk for the north from this system on an earlier TV forecast) Same model does not have the rain fully clearing the country until later Saturday night at the earliest.

211913.png

Correct DE, I have the norths flooding probability on Saturday mentioned in first post. All bases are covered. Looks an interesting one with embedded thunderstorms helping to bring spot flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

ok can anybody tell me how much north meath will be effected, ive a few fields fairly saturated and wont hold much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Min wrote: »

Yea really feel for you min and all farmers this summer...While a lot us like our extreme weather around here we should spare a thought for those who have to deal with these conditions on a day to day basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like some areas of UK particularly Wales to get a real hammering!

Somewhere is going to get almost 100mm in a 24 hours period.

Rtavn244.png

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Things have kicked off very suddenly in Wales in the past hour. From nothing to torrential downpours and thunderstorms in less than an hour!!! The explosive development is more akin to an afternoon heat derived thunderstorm developing! Oh, and it's pushing in a westerly/west north west direction.....ie: towards the bottom two thirds of the east coast

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From radar looks like the first of the rain is just making landfall in S Wicklow/N Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

:eek: looks like a beast of a storm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm heading to coastal Waterford today including Tramore. Is it really going to be torrential down there? I'm scared of floods since I drowned a car a few years ago and would prefer to cancel going if there's any risk of flooding on the roads down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The sunny West for a change.

The one thing we have learned from this summer is you really want the jet stream north of us.

We ever had a summer like this before with the jet stream south of us for the whole summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

irishgeo wrote: »
    The one thing we have learned from this summer is you really want the jet stream north of us.

We ever had a summer like this before with the jet stream south of us for the whole summer.

This summer reminds of 98' - which also followed an extremly mild winter. Years like this often have good Septembers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The jet stream goes south every summer as far as I can see. Nothing unusual about that.

Going on previous form I don't think I have ever seen a summer to turn itself around in July. In 2006 we saw a dramatic improvement in early august but I can never remember a bad June followed by a good July. St swivens day is nearly upon us and for the last few years it has proven to be deadly accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The jet stream moves north in summer, not south....or at least it should!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

From my memories July has always been a wet crap month, it's the closest thing we get to having a monsoon season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I see a nice big "blob" heading towards Belmullet at the minute.
    Looks to have some heavy stuff in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

rhonin wrote: »
    I see a nice big "blob" heading towards Belmullet at the minute.
    Looks to have some heavy stuff in it.

Thats nuthin'. Look at the blob heading towards me on the KK/CW border. Looks like its even sticking its tongue out at me as it approaches. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Razr3D

well somebody has to wash the spuds & strawberries!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Its been raining steadily here in wexford town now for about 45 min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Duiske wrote: »
    Thats nuthin'. Look at the blob heading towards me on the KK/CW border. Looks like its even sticking its tongue out at me as it approaches. :D

You can keep that rain :p

Doesn't look nice though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement