Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Ocean comes out as gay/bisexual

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Reading about Frank Ocean coming out reminded me of this utterly bizarre thread I read on here last year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231856

great times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Paully D wrote: »
    Brilliant song. It'd be hilarious if he changed the lyrics to be about a man. Just trolling the fúck out of everyone :pac:.

Some of the lyrics (not in that video as it cuts out about halfway through the song) but in the longer version could actually be interpreted that way:

Pretty girls involved with me
    Making pretty love to me, pretty
    Pity, pity
    All the pretty girls involved with me
    Making pretty love to me, pretty
    Pity, pity

Ooh ooh, I can't feel a thing
    I can't feel, can't feel a thing

Can't feel a thing
    Can't feel feel feel feel her
    I Can't feel feel her
    Novacane Novacane Novacane
    I can't feel feel her
    Novacane, for the pain, for the pain

I can't feel feel her (feel her, feel her)
    Ooh, Novacane Novacane

If he had never come out and said he was bisexual then I wouldn't have thought anything of it at all I suppose and hindsight is a great thing, but the lyrics in the song could be seen as describing his numbness towards women maybe? Just a thought :)

I think the model broad with the Hollywood smile might actually be the guy referred to in his letter. He put him onto a feeling that he never had before, but only have him a little taste (i.e. it was temporary, no hope of anything longer).

Now he's suffering without him, and using these women to numb the pain. He wants to try and recreate what he had with him but he just feels numb and empty while with them, but that's better in his book than behind alone.

I think you can relisten to a lot of his songs and see where they might have a different meaning then originally thought - particularly strawberry swing and thinking of you (in hindsight the use of the word "boy" in the first verse isn't really just used by way of exclamation).

I actually think songs for women might also have another meaning. In first verse he thinks back when he was chasing girls even though he may not have felt he had the right weapons in the armoury for women so to speak (couldn't play guitar or no secret chords). That might be why the reference to his Dad clocking off late (he didn't know his father) - it was kind of a fantasy he lived in.

Now he's burying himself in his work and has no time for women. Women don't excite or challenge him like they used to (don't battle rap anymore) or don't seem to be on the same wavelength (don't listen the songs he records). The "I'm so far gone" line isn't just a play on the drake reference, there's no turning back for him now, he can't go back to how he was.

So when he asks "what you think I do it for?", the answer might not have been as obvious as it seemed. Hence "But you ain't listening, never though".

Of course I could be just completely wrong and it might be actually about songs for women.

Channel Orange is out on iTune now.

On the first listen seems a bit deeper and more somber than nostalgia.ULTRA but certainly sounds like it will could up to the expectations and hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

He's streaming it on his Tumblr page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Streaming it now, the production is great. The video game samples kept me interested and the whole production in general.

First decent verse from an OF rapper too from Earl. Andre 3000 and a Majin Buu reference, excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just thought I'd post up the new video to the Murs track called Animal Style from earlier in the thread.

Excellent video and song.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just thought I'd post up the new video to the Murs track called Animal Style from earlier in the thread.

Excellent video and song.

Saw that last night, I was actually moved.

It's a pity that this will likely he ignored because I think Murs deserves an awful lot of credit for this. He could have just ignored the issue but think a stand and sent a message in making the song in the first place.

Then to actually make the video and cast himself as a gay charachter and be seen getting affectionate with another man (as well as the message on his tshirt) was really powerful.

As a straight underground rapper who will likely never attract a large LGBT following, he had little to gain from this (other than simply doing the right thing) but still risked a backlash from some of his existing fan base (don't think that has materialised yet anyway).

Proud to be a Murs fan!

Murs has been "ignored" for years, it will have nothing to do with this song.

Unfortunately so. That's what I meant when I said it would be ignored. If a bigger name had made this song he'd be on the front page of Time.

A bigger name artist wouldn't have the balls to release this though.

Murs should get acclaim for taking a stand but a year later and it's still crickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Listening to Channel Orange, really enjoying it so far. Looking forward to hear that Andre 3000 track on it.

• Advertisement

liking the song with andre, not really into ocean as of yet , bit too laid back and r'n'b ish for me... i know he's as talented as f*ck though, just cannot believe he came out of the same batch as those other idiots.

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/frank-ocean-pink-matter-song.902325.html

Ye, I'm not that interested in his music (yet?) either. A good album, enjoyed listening to it but I doubt I will listen to it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm happy for him. I love his music, hopefully gonna see him later this month in LA.

Actually listened to the album in full last night, not bad I must say. That forest gump song and the one with Andre are my favourites.

Was Listining to Martians v goblins by game ft Tyler earlier on in the gym and was just thinking about the whole Bruno mars line that Tyler raps which is extremely anti - gay. Will the rest of oceans click change up their lryics now that ocean has come out ? Would be pretty offensive and tbh awkward if they didn't.

Actually listened to the album in full last night, not bad I must say. That forest gump song and the one with Andre are my favourites.

Was Listining to Martians v goblins by game ft Tyler earlier on in the gym and was just thinking about the whole Bruno mars line that Tyler raps which is extremely anti - gay. Will the rest of oceans click change up their lryics now that ocean has come out ? Would be pretty offensive and tbh awkward if they didn't.

Well considering that much of what Odd Future does is shocking for the sake of it, I doubt it.

Well considering that much of what Odd Future does is shocking for the sake of it, I doubt it.

they'd want to, I cant see that working if they dont.

they'd want to, I cant see that working if they dont.

I don't think Ocean is really with them all that much any more though. He seems to just put in a verse here or there and leave it at that.

He is probably bigger on his own at the moment than the whole of OFWGKTA are. It'd be a mistake for him to let go of that and go back to them.

I don't think Ocean is really with them all that much any more though. He seems to just put in a verse here or there and leave it at that.

He is probably bigger on his own at the moment than the whole of OFWGKTA are. It'd be a mistake for him to let go of that and go back to them.

i dont know myself, not really into them bar ocean which im only starting to listen to as of last night really.

But id agree he defiantly seems the stand out artist out of them, his hooks are unreal too, loved him on WTT.

i dont know myself, not really into them bar ocean which im only starting to listen to as of last night really.

But id agree he defiantly seems the stand out artist out of them, his hooks are unreal too, loved him on WTT.

Well Earl may make it as well. He's only 18. Still has a long career ahead of him.

Ocean was class on WTT alright. He has some fantastic songs that he does on his own but he has the potential to become the next Nate Dogg in my opinion.

Well Earl may make it as well. He's only 18. Still has a long career ahead of him.

Ocean was class on WTT alright. He has some fantastic songs that he does on his own but he has the potential to become the next Nate Dogg in my opinion.

huge shoes to fill, If oceans sound can impact as hard as g funk he'll be on his way.

read last night his album is top of the irish itunes hip hop chart, had no idea he was that popular here already. This is his debut right?

• Advertisement

huge shoes to fill, If oceans sound can impact as hard as g funk he'll be on his way.

read last night his album is top of the irish itunes hip hop chart, had no idea he was that popular here already. This is his debut right?

I meant more along the lines of him becoming the best hook singer of the next generation. Don't think he'll go down that route entirely for another few years though. He is going to be on upcoming albums by Jigga and Nas, I think. They should be interesting.

Debut album, yes. He had a mixtape out last year that is very much worth your while checking out. It's called Nostalgia, Ultra.

There are some cracking songs on it.

Earl might make it if he raps more like his verse on Channel Orange and not like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

genius move to come out just before album release
    he will have alot of gay/bisexual people buying his album

MD1990 wrote: »
    genius move to come out just before album release
    he will have alot of gay/bisexual people buying his album

His gig here in Los Angeles sold out in the immediate aftermath of his coming out and everyone's talking about "the Frank Ocean effect" on hip hop. It's a big deal.

His gig here in Los Angeles sold out in the immediate aftermath of his coming out and everyone's talking about "the Frank Ocean effect" on hip hop. It's a big deal.

It's a bit early to be referring to it as that, no?

He came out a week ago, and the rumours had only started a few days before that. It'll be interesting to see how this impacts on hip hop over the coming year, and into the future.

Lots of rappers are showing him support. The fact that he is insanely talented is no doubt a good thing. He is someone that everyone would want to work with so no one is really going to diss him. Also, the inevitable fall off in support (read record and ticket sales) that he has received won't make much of a difference to him. He was already very well known beforehand. When the 'coming out' becomes old news him and his music will still be front page news.

It's a bit early to be referring to it as that, no?

He came out a week ago, and the rumours had only started a few days before that. It'll be interesting to see how this impacts on hip hop over the coming year, and into the future.

Lots of rappers are showing him support. The fact that he is insanely talented is no doubt a good thing. He is someone that everyone would want to work with so no one is really going to diss him. Also, the inevitable fall off in support (read record and ticket sales) that he has received won't make much of a difference to him. He was already very well known beforehand. When the 'coming out' becomes old news him and his music will still be front page news.

Yeah, it's just what I've seen and heard people saying. It's certainly helped him, but he's gonna be huge anyway, with or without this news.

liking the song with andre, not really into ocean as of yet , bit too laid back and r'n'b ish for me... i know he's as talented as f*ck though, just cannot believe he came out of the same batch as those other idiots.

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/frank-ocean-pink-matter-song.902325.html

Could you imagine what a Frank Ocean and Outkast song would sound like? It'd be amazing. Let Andre and Big Boi just spit fire and then have Frank crooning in the back ground.

He was on Jimmy Fallon's show the other night. It was his first live television performance and he had The Roots backing him. Not bad.

It's a great launchpad. Tyler was on it last year and it was the performance that got them the recognition they wanted.

Am I the only one who likes OF? Well, Tyler, Earl, Mellow Hype and Frank.

Yea, it's all for shock value but so was Eminem when he came out first and people loved him. And I think Tyler is a lot more self aware than people give him credit for.

Anyway, as to whether this will change OF - bull****! The media were all talking last week about how much of a pleasant surprise it is that Tyler supported him and how it might bring about a change in his lyrics, completely ignorant to the fact Syd tha Kid is openly lesbian (check the Internets Cocaine video). OF have been cool with having gay members to date, and they also knew about Frank's sexuality long before he announced it.

By his own admission he says fag to shock and offend. Can't see that changing for a few years until he grows up a bit (a la Eminem).

I think if anything this has been a major boost to Frank's career. He had gotten little or no press beforehand for Channel Orange, and was unlikely to see major air play given he dropped an (epic) 10 minute single.

Now he's suddenly on people's radar and I think the music will keep their attention.

Don't think this was a publicity stunt though - he was planning to just drop the album and let the music speak for itself until the BBC dj picked up on the "he" references on the album.

Dropping Pyramids as a single is hardly the actions of a man craving attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

floggg wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes OF? Well, Tyler, Earl, Mellow Hype and Frank.

Yea, it's all for shock value but so was Eminem when he came out first and people loved him. And I think Tyler is a lot more self aware than people give him credit for.

Anyway, as to whether this will change OF - bull****! The media were all talking last week about how much of a pleasant surprise it is that Tyler supported him and how it might bring about a change in his lyrics, completely ignorant to the fact Syd tha Kid is openly lesbian (check the Internets Cocaine video). OF have been cool with having gay members to date, and they also knew about Frank's sexuality long before he announced it.

By his own admission he says fag to shock and offend. Can't see that changing for a few years until he grows up a bit (a la Eminem).

I think if anything this has been a major boost to Frank's career. He had gotten little or no press beforehand for Channel Orange, and was unlikely to see major air play given he dropped an (epic) 10 minute single.

Now he's suddenly on people's radar and I think the music will keep their attention.

Don't think this was a publicity stunt though - he was planning to just drop the album and let the music speak for itself until the BBC dj picked up on the "he" references on the album.

Dropping Pyramids as a single is hardly the actions of a man craving attention!
    i agree, i think odd future are very clever lyrically, anyone who disagrees isnt listening. earl and tyler **** all over most rappers around these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Real Life wrote: »
    earl and tyler **** all over most rappers around these days.

No. They don't. They shít all over the young money crew (apart from busta) but that's about it.

Advertisement