Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Ocean comes out as gay/bisexual

Options
  • 04-07-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭

In light of recent rumours swirling around that he planned on "coming out" of sorts on his upcoming album, Channel Orange, Frank Ocean has come out as gay or bisexual on a Tumblr post, stating that his first love was a man.

Whoever you are. Wherever you are… I’m starting to think we’re a lot alike. Human beings spinning on blackness. All wanting to be seen, touched, heard, paid attention to. My loved ones are everything to me here. In the last year or 3 I’ve screamed at my creator, screamed at clouds in the sky, for some explanation. Mercy maybe. For peace of mind to rain like manna somehow. 4 summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence…until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with. I reminisced about the sentimental songs I enjoyed when I was a teenager. The ones I played when I experienced a girlfriend too quickly. Imagine being thrown from a plane. I wasn’t in a plane though. I was in a Nissan Maxima, the same car I packed up with bags and drove to Los Angeles in. I sat there and told my friend how I felt. I wept as the words left my mouth. I grieved for then. Knowing I could never take them back for myself. He patted my back. He said kind things. He did his best, but he wouldn’t admit the same. He had to go back inside soon. It was late and his girlfriend was waiting for him upstairs. He wouldn’t tell the truth about his feelings for me for another 3 years. I felt like I’d only imagined reciprocity for years. Now imagine being thrown from a cliff. No, I wasn’t on a cliff. I was still in my car telling myself it was gonna be find and to take deep breaths. I took the breaths and carried on. I kept up a peculiar friendship with him because I couldn’t imagine keeping up my life without him. I struggled to master myself and my emotions. I wasn’t always successful.

The dance went on. I kept the rhythm for several summers after. It’s winter now. I’m typing this on a plane back to Los Angeles from New Orleans. I flew home for another marred Christmas. I have a windowseat. It’s December 27, 2011. By now I’ve written two albums. This being the second. I wrote to keep myself busy and sane. I wanted to create worlds that were rosier than mine. I tried to channel overwhelming emotions. I’m surprise at how far all of it has taken me. Before writing this I’d told some people my story. I’m sure these people kept me alive, kept me safe. Sincerely, these are the folks I wanna thank from the floor of my heart. Everyone of you knows who you are. Great humans, probably angels. I don’t know what happens now. And that’s alrite. I don’t have any secrets I need kept anymore. There’s probably some small **** still, but you know what I mean. I was never alone, as much as it felt like it. As much as I still do sometimes. I never was. I don’t think I ever could be. Thanks. To my first love, I’m grateful for you. Grateful that even thought it wasn’t what I hoped for and even thought it was never enough, it was. Some things never are. And we were. I won’t forget you. I won’t forget the summer. I’ll remember who I was when I met you. I’ll remember who you were and how we’ve both changed and stayed the same. I’ve never had more respect for life and living than I have right now. Maybe it takes a near death experience to feel alive. Thanks. To my mother. You raised me strong. I know I’m only brave because you were first. So thank you. All of you. For everything good. I feel like a free man. If I listen closely, I can hear the sky falling too.

- Frank

Read more: http://www.thefader.com/2012/07/04/frank-ocean-says-his-first-love-was-a-man/#ixzz1zf1R9U94

Apparently the text posted was intended to serve as the thank you notes to Channel Orange, but he posted it earlier today after a BBC radio presenter reported that Frank used the words "he" to refer to the object of his affections on a couple of songs on Channel Orange.

It's a pretty well written and moving post, and took incredible courage and honesty from him. So far most of the reaction seems to have been positive on Twitter etc, bar the small minority of juvenile idiots that such stories seem to bring. He's the first major male urban music star to come out, though the second member openly LGBT member of OFWGKTA after Sid the Kid, a lesbian.

It's great to see Hip-Hop/Urban music, and indeed society as a whole, is starting to grow up and mature to the point where he felt comfortable to do this.

I was a fan since I first Nostalgia.Ultra, but now I can truly say I can admire and respect him.
    More importantly, it means I also now have a shot with him!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Fair play takes some courage to do especially in the rap/r&b "scene". That article said that note was supposed to be on the album liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

As an extension of this, I have to say that I'm tired of battle rappers using f*gg*t as an insult. I watch rap battles almost everyday and it's the one thing that really irks me about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Go to 5:29

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It takes alot of cajones to come out, let alone in the music industry that uses homophobic terms freely. But I must admit that some of the slang words used contain no malice and have just become standard slang.
    Even in freestyle battles, the word 'fag' is used as filler when the mc is thinking of thier next line.
    Even OFWGKTA use it freely, but the likes of Tyler long ago have said that it's not meant in a derogitory sence.

But congrats to Frank Ocean, it must be a massive relief. From talking to some of my gay and bi fiends, they have said that it's a massive relief to finally 'come out' and they can start a new more free chapter of thier lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i can see Frank & Wayne maybe dating soon?
    i guess Birdman won't be happy though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

MD1990 wrote: »
    i can see Frank & Wayne maybe dating soon?
    i guess Birdman won't be happy though

Mature. Well done

Boom Bap, as a gay man I agree with most of what you said. I think there is a difference between using what might be considered homophobic language and being homophobic.

I think Tyler is the perfect example - he uses the word "******" and "gay" frequently as in insult, and yet is leader of one of the only, if not the only, major hip-hop urban crews to have any openly gay members at all. I think that speaks volumes about where he stands.

That said though, that doesn't mean that his use of the words are harmless. For somebody struggling to accept their sexuality, hearing the words ****** or gay used in a negative or derogatory way reinforces the idea that there is something wrong with being gay.

As a whole though I think hip-hop is getting over the whole macho tough guy bravado trying to hard thing, and is comfortable with letting people be themselves without conforming to the thug/drug dealer stereotype.

A lot of the new school Internet generation are on record with their tolerance, be it ASAP Rocky, Nicki Minaj, Lil B etc, as well as the like of Murs releasing Animal Style last year or Jay-z endorsing marriage equality.

I think the likes of phonte and slug deserve credit for allowing room for something other than the tough guy, which had been built upon by Kanye and now Drake etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

floggg wrote: »

I think the likes of phonte and slug deserve credit for allowing room for something other than the tough guy, which had been built upon by Kanye and now Drake etc.

Alternative hip hop has been around since the 80s. Most alternative hip hop acts denounced the gangsta rap craze that was going on throughout the late 80s and into the 90s. There's been hundreds of rappers before kanye and slug that havent played the tough guy in their songs.

On Frank coming out, fair play to him i say. I'm sure it would take some real courage to come out, especially in the midst of his rise to fame.

This has been likely to happen for years now. Forget the general societal shift but just in hip-hop in general has become more open.

The whole thing a while ago about Nore saying he has worked with gay rappers and the whole Lil B album title stirring up discussion ala Nas' album title.

But this is not taking away the courage it still took. A long way from that homophobic ATCQ song.

A long way from that homophobic ATCQ song.

Which one is that? I've heard basically everything they made but i probably overlooked the lyrics, i tend to focus more on the beats when it comes to tribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Which one is that? I've heard basically everything they made but i probably overlooked the lyrics, i tend to focus more on the beats when it comes to tribe.

This one. Lyrics are here.

• Advertisement

Aah havent heard that one before, must be because it's unreleased. I can imagine their views have changed since 91, a lot has happened in music since then regarding homosexual artists. Something most artists have had to accept.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Alternative hip hop has been around since the 80s. Most alternative hip hop acts denounced the gangsta rap craze that was going on throughout the late 80s and into the 90s. There's been hundreds of rappers before kanye and slug that havent played the tough guy in their songs.

On Frank coming out, fair play to him i say. I'm sure it would take some real courage to come out, especially in the midst of his rise to fame.

Yea, but there was still always a degree of bravado and posturing. They called out fake gangsters but they still never really allowed them to be seen as weak or vulnerable. The image of a strong black male was still essential to be a rapper.

It's only in recent years that vulnerability has come into rap from what I've seen.

I saw the dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip page on Facebook put up a status there about Frank. Np idea which one of them it was that wrote it but it was pretty good. They put up lyrics from a B Dolan song, "Which Side Are You On", that looks at the different issues around us like feminism, racism, class and LGBT.

It isn't on Youtube but it is up on his Bandcamp profile. Pretty strong lyrics.

As the lads said on Facebook, big up Frank Ocean.
    "Who wrote the greatest lines of our generation,
    but couldn’t get from under their own small-minded hate trip?
    The same rappers say they’re trooping the frontlines,
    and casually use the word ‘******’ as a punchline.
    That’s not a man, that’s not a tough guy.
    That is a sucker and a fraud to the culture!
    Hip Hop is folk music grown from the struggle and
    half these fools could put the mic down and run as a Republican.
    **** ‘em then; they learn from their own wrong.
    Homophobes don’t go to my shows, we too strong!
    And if you’re in the front row, harassing girls during a song
    I will reach and ask you exactly–

Chorus:
    Which Side Are You On?
    Which Side Are You On? "

Russell Simmons issued a letter of support to Frank today.
    Today is a big day for hip-hop. It is a day that will define who we really are. How compassionate will we be? How loving can we be? How inclusive are we? I am profoundly moved by the courage and honesty of Frank Ocean. Your decision to go public about your sexual orientation gives hope and light to so many young people still living in fear.These type of secrets should not matter anymore, but we know they do, and because of that I decided to write this short statement of support for one of the greatest new artists we have.

His gifts are undeniable. His talent, enormous. His bravery, incredible. His actions this morning will uplift our consciousness and allow us to become better people. Every single one of us is born with peace and tranquility in our heart. Frank just found his.

Frank, we thank you. We support you. We love you

Nice words from one of the biggest men in the hip hop industry.

I would have preferred if Rev Run was the one to say it though. Especially if it was in the form of him sitting in his bathtub typing it out on his Blackberry and finishing off the statement with "God is love, Rev Run".

I saw the dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip page on Facebook put up a status there about Frank. Np idea which one of them it was that wrote it but it was pretty good. They put up lyrics from a B Dolan song, "Which Side Are You On", that looks at the different issues around us like feminism, racism, class and LGBT.

It isn't on Youtube but it is up on his Bandcamp profile. Pretty strong lyrics.

As the lads said on Facebook, big up Frank Ocean.

I loved the lack of fuss last year when Murs dropped A.N.I.M.A.L. Style - a story about a young gay relationship. Showed how far things had come!

"Ah, forget it; it's actually accepted for rappers to have no ethics
    Their albums would benefit if they put in half the effort
    I attended candlelight vigils for Matthew Sheppard
    While you put out another "**** you, ******" record" - Sage Francis.

Glad more mainstream rappers are becoming more open and supportive. I have heard nothing but positive thoughts on him coming out which is a good sign.

Frank Ocean is Kanyes protege??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »

Brilliant song. It'd be hilarious if he changed the lyrics to be about a man. Just trolling the fúck out of everyone :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

This is Syd The Kyd. Everybody just watch this and you'll probably agree to everything she's saying..

And the interviewer is retarded.
    Then I just found this funny regarding Frank's coming out. Such a stereotypical annoying OF fan:

XkwYZ.png

I want a gif of that 3:06-7 second mark.

• Advertisement

XkwYZ.png

Lol. Sorry but if you get that freaked out by a gay man, its not him that is making you uncomfortable, its you yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mature. Well done
    im only joking

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Brilliant song. It'd be hilarious if he changed the lyrics to be about a man. Just trolling the fúck out of everyone :pac:.

Some of the lyrics (not in that video as it cuts out about halfway through the song) but in the longer version could actually be interpreted that way:

Pretty girls involved with me
    Making pretty love to me, pretty
    Pity, pity
    All the pretty girls involved with me
    Making pretty love to me, pretty
    Pity, pity

Ooh ooh, I can't feel a thing
    I can't feel, can't feel a thing

Can't feel a thing
    Can't feel feel feel feel her
    I Can't feel feel her
    Novacane Novacane Novacane
    I can't feel feel her
    Novacane, for the pain, for the pain

I can't feel feel her (feel her, feel her)
    Ooh, Novacane Novacane

If he had never come out and said he was bisexual then I wouldn't have thought anything of it at all I suppose and hindsight is a great thing, but the lyrics in the song could be seen as describing his numbness towards women maybe? Just a thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Reading about Frank Ocean coming out reminded me of this utterly bizarre thread I read on here last year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231856

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Novacane remains the only Frank Ocean song I have really liked. I think it's absolutely brilliant in fact, but I never got in to his music properly. Any other tracks like Novacane that I absolutely HAVE to hear?

His sexual orientation makes absolutely no difference to me whatsoever, but the reaction of that idiot from the screenshot is inevitable from the #NoHomo "I aint on that gay ****" crowd. Guess what mate, if you are posting your opinions on an internet blog, then you are not the gangsta you are trying to portray yourself as.

Reading about Frank Ocean coming out reminded me of this utterly bizarre thread I read on here last year.

Bizarre is being polite. ****ing juvenile would also be putting it politely. Insecure homophobia might be closer to it

bring forward ancient threads like that is frowned upon man, you could possibly ressurect and old argument doing that kind of stuff, and on a thread with a subject as sensitive as homosexuality could end up gettin a couple of people banned.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Novacane remains the only Frank Ocean song I have really liked. I think it's absolutely brilliant in fact, but I never got in to his music properly. Any other tracks like Novacane that I absolutely HAVE to hear?

I really like "Swim Good". I prefer it though when someone else is on the track with him. As a result, the remix that Chamillionaire did last year with old UGK verses is my most played song on iTunes.

Then there's "American Wedding", the song that got him in trouble with The Eagles.

He also did a brilliant song over the beat for "Electric Feel" by MGMT.

Street Fighter, Goldeneye, Soul Caliber, Eagles and MGMT. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Fair play to him. He's a brave dude.

Advertisement