Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is always Ryanair or Aerlingus for those that don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

There is always Ryanair or Aerlingus for those that don't like it.

& stenaline & Irishferries ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If that's what the majority of people want, that's what the majority should get.

Tell that to the people trying to get same sex marriage legalised, in this country. Also, I was previous post terminology. Can you prove that the majority of people actually want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Tell that to the people trying to get same sex marriage legalised, in this country. Also, I was previous post terminology. Can you prove that the majority of people actually want it?

I'm not wasting any more time on this, and if you want to prove me wrong re the "majority", it's entirely up to you, but I'm certain that if hundreds of thousands of licence-payers didn't want the programme, it would be pulled.

I don't like a lot of RTE programmes, but I know how to switch off the TV or change channels, should one of them appear on my screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

To the chip-on-my-shoulder begrudging atheist liberal radicals(or whatever:rolleyes:), remember that the main alternative offered by Irish television is Xpose. Now don't tell me that the Angelus is more offensive to you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I stopped watching RTE...or any regular tv about 5 years ago, i don't have Sky or UPC....not even an arieal.....seriously, wtf?.....how watces tv like that anymore?

So this Angeldust stuff dosen't bother me, come join the future of tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I'm sure this rational thought has been mentioned before but the news is called 6.01... so why not just tune in at 6.01 for the news, and you wont see the Angelus. Solved no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I wonder if the sky fairy pays for his TV licence?
    Or does the Catholic Church pay for the prime time advertising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

NinjaK wrote: »
    We are a Catholic country, deal with it. If you go to another county you will have to deal with their religion, have some respect.
    Ireland is not a Catholic country. It's a republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

If the Angelus was the worst thing on RTÉ then they'd be in good shape. Personally couldn't care less - and I'm speaking as a supposed militant atheist.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: it's catholic dude, take your atheist ass back to England!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

A republic whose constitution begins with
    In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,
    We, the people of Éire, Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial...

If you want to live a purely secular Republic go live in France until the day comes when Labour get Ivana Bacik to rewrite our constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

So this Angeldust stuff dosen't bother me, come join the future of tv!

The likes of Glee and Gossip Girl? Give me an Angelus network over that crap anyday.

:rolleyes: it's catholic dude, take your atheist ass back to England!
    :rolleyes:

This post comes to you from 1950.

A republic whose constitution begins with
    <SNIP>
    That's not the constitution, it's the preamble - of course, you are right though, that sh!t should be scrubbed too. It was written at a time when priests were raping children with wild abandon and 'sinful' girls were imprisoned in the Magdelene laundries. The church doesn't run this country any more.

The likes of Glee and Gossip Girl? Give me an Angelus network over that crap anyday.

dude...i don't watch those shows no more, they've turned to shiite!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

That would suggest that they were good to begin with. Angelus TV

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Can't believe this thread is still going??? :confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

hardCopy wrote: »
    We have clocks for that. I wonder what the opportunity cost of those 14 minutes of prime time advertising would be?

Yes today we do but not to long ago, people would work out in fields , where there were no clocks.I'm religious but don't stop what I am doing when I hear Angelus .

Also do you know that RTE also have a Prayer before the station shut down, no one complaining about that.

Ireland is still prominently a Catholic country, as the state broadcaster they providing service to the majority of the population.

Your still making a mountain out a mole hill . Don't want watch it , turn over and wait till 9 o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dont like it OP, dont watch it. Use that minute to do something else, make a cup of tea, go to the loo, watch the headlines on the beeb. Its call the Six One news for a reason, meaning it starts at 6:01.

Can't believe this thread is still going??? :confused::eek:

It only started yesterday

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Not sure how true it is but my sister told me that the news readers on RTE were told not to wear crucifixes or other religious jewellery.As the state broadcaster they had to be unbiased and show no affiliation with any religious belief..Like I say someone might know of how true or untrue this may be. But back to the point that we should not have to turn the channel,I pay for the service ,I'd prefer it to be non denominational,as it ought to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

irish-stew wrote: »
    Dont like it OP, dont watch it. Use that minute to do something else, make a cup of tea, go to the loo, watch the headlines on the beeb. Its call the Six One news for a reason, meaning it starts at 6:01.

It only started yesterday

:p

Exactly!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

@ninjak-We are not all catholics. The church should not be considered to rule this country. Religion should be freedom of choice,along with alot of other major life decisions. Ireland has changed hugely,maybe now we ought to have the muslim call to prayer, a pagan ritual,jewish prayers.Or none at all.There are churches and mosques for people to go to practice their relioion. Surely our national state run broadcaster should not be biased to a religion.Many people in this country pay tv licence money,not all of us are catholic,i'd like to see that reflected in the programming.Just a thought,no ill will meant to you personally,of course!!

As I Muslim I have no problem with the Angelus. RTE shows non-religious programmes all day long so surely the Athiests can tolerate one minute of religious material each day? Tolerance eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

As I Muslim I have no problem with the Angelus. RTE shows non-religious programmes all day long so surely the Athiests can tolerate one minute of religious material each day? Tolerance eh?

"Secular multiculturalists are not the enemies of religion. We are its defenders. Unless each religion is kept in check, it threatens the others. Muslims and Christians may be feeling awfully chummy at the moment because they consider atheism a greater threat than each other. That won't last forever. We are the nursery school teachers who make sure all the children can play in a safe area and not hurt each other."
    (Ian Dunt, politics.co.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

"Secular multiculturalists are not the enemies of religion. We are its defenders. Unless each religion is kept in check, it threatens the others. Muslims and Christians may be feeling awfully chummy at the moment because they consider atheism a greater threat than each other. That won't last forever. We are the nursery school teachers who make sure all the children can play in a safe area and not hurt each other."
    (Ian Dunt, politics.co.uk)

There may well be some constantly whingeing and whining nursery school teachers, but I've never met any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

NinjaK wrote: »
    We are a Catholic country, deal with it.

I'm Irish and proud of it.

Please don't associate my nationality with that vile organisation, as though being Irish is akin to being Catholic.

If you wish to practice your faith, thats fine. But please don't tarnish an entire nation with labels of Catholisism and expect people to 'deal with it'.

Doesn't your God frown on that kind of thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭brian_t

Lapin wrote: »
    Please don't associate my nationality with that vile organisation, as though being Irish is akin to being Catholic.
    IRELAND REMAINS the overwhelmingly Catholic country of the English-speaking world, according to results of the April 2011 census, published yesterday. Over 84 per cent of people in the Republic, or 3.86 million, described themselves as Roman Catholic in that census..

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0330/1224314101049.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I think we should at least be grateful that rte still have the rights to the Angelus
    because if it go's to Tv3 you can be sure they will be showing at least one set of ad-breaks between the bongs.

Advertisement