Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Pop Quiz..... how many times do the bells ring for the Angelus and what is the significance of the number???!!!

First to answer gets a really brilliant prize....*

*Might not be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Craig Doyle will do the Angelus.

Craig Doyle will be eliminated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

You dont need to watch the angelus to watch the news, just mute it, change the channel or whatever

Failing that, there are a myriad of other channels that cover the news at 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭squonk

squonk-just because it has been a tradition does not mean that it should be carried on. That does not make it right. The national state run broadcater ought to be neutral and not biased to any one religion.That's just it.

I also think we have an obligation to respect the views of older generations who would not view this in the same way as most of us.

Anyway, what about the call to prayer in Muslim countries? We have a right to present something on TV that reflects the majority religion in the country if we so wish. In any case, it's just one minute. It's not like mass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Am surprised not to see a "Moved from After Hours" post in this thread. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

DeepBlue wrote: »

This one's down to contagion, it'll probably spread to the Food and Drink forum where someone will start a row about loaves and fishes, and the quantities that will feed 5000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

dchris wrote: »
    The Angelus . I watch RTE News, however I am not religious. Every night when I tune in, I am met and infringed with this codswallop.

Why should I put up with this? Who wants the Angelus ? If you want prayer, go to mass, don't inflict in on the masses.

At this stage I find it semi- offensive, and semi-hilarious . Black man painting a wall, white woman looks at clock, pause, tries to divide 37 by 4, .. Pause. Bong..

When will RTE give up ramming religion down out throat. Change with the times.

I hate it!
    I think the minute be much better spent highlighting missing people , instead of random people pausing and posing. Keep the bongs if the religious want it, but use it for communal good and benefit

I don't think the Angelus is overly religious. It is 60sec reflection that could be better used though.

Instead of what's been used in the past: The 60sec flashing images could reflect more meaningful or helpful images eg: missing people as dchris says, with their names showing on-screen with their picture for example. It would be 60sec well used for the benefit of the majority & may even encourage more to tune in an observe :)

I don't think they should stop the Angelus, only change what's currently being done to have it being more helpful with the 60sec refelction. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

DeepBlue wrote: »

I'm surprised it hasn't been moved to AH

"That would be an ecumenical matter"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

squonk wrote: »
    I also think we have an obligation to respect the views of older generations who would not view this in the same way as most of us.

Anyway, what about the call to prayer in Muslim countries? We have a right to present something on TV that reflects the majority religion in the country if we so wish. In any case, it's just one minute. It's not like mass!

I do not have to attend mass nor pay for it.

If I wish to watch the news headlines, I have to sit through this state santcioned religious broadcasting. I actually do pay for my TV licence and would prefer that the state run broadcaster would not show a religious bias (actually I would prefer it not to have any religous content)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Respect for the elderly I totally agree with. True too that they may not view this the same as the younger generation. Still though,I'll say it again,state broadcaster-non religious bias. The call to prayer in muslim countries-ought we really be looking to them as a template for how to live our lives? Perhaps, in some ways but as a religious dictatorship I don't think so. Maybe RTE could come up with some neutral time out. A whole new concept,which encompasses all and offends none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

If I wish to watch the news headlines, I have to sit through this state santcioned religious broadcasting. I actually do pay for my TV licence and would prefer that the state run broadcaster would not show a religious bias (actually I would prefer it not to have any religous content)

Eh no ye don't. Ye can always turn on at a minute past six after it ends.

Some people moan about the stupidest things. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread renamed.

Despite the 5am attempt at trolling by the OP, it seems that people want to talk about this.

I'm keeping an eye on it though....

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

The Angelus . I watch RTE News, however I am not religious. Every night when I tune in, I am met and infringed with this codswallop.

Why should I put up with this? Who wants the Angelus ? If you want prayer, go to mass, don't inflict in on the masses.

At this stage I find it semi- offensive, and semi-hilarious . Black man painting a wall, white woman looks at clock, pause, tries to divide 37 by 4, .. Pause. Bong..

When will RTE give up ramming religion down out throat. Change with the times.

I hate it!

It only one a minute long.

In total it 14 minutes of the whole week

So stop making a mountain out of a mole hill

Anyway the reason for it is not just a religious one , it was use to tell people what time of day it was.

Mr E wrote: »
    Thread renamed.

Despite the 5am attempt at trolling by the OP, it seems that people want to talk about this.

I'm keeping an eye on it though....

Think the OP is trolling imo

Eh no ye don't. Ye can always turn on at a minute past six after it ends.

Some people moan about the stupidest things. :rolleyes:

No. It is a state sanctioned and publically funded call to Catholic Prayer.
    The state (and its bodies) have no place promoting religion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

mach1982 wrote: »
    It only one a minute long.

In total it 14 minutes of the whole week

So stop making a mountain out of a mole hill

Anyway the reason for it is not just a religious one , it was use to tell people what time of day it was.

We have clocks for that. I wonder what the opportunity cost of those 14 minutes of prime time advertising would be?

No. It is a state sanctioned and publically funded call to Catholic Prayer.
    They state (and its bodies) have no place promoting religion

Whatever........just change the bloody channel.

That minute could be used to cover the "news in 60 seconds" like they do on BBC3, and the 6.01 news slot could be used for an extended omnibus Angelus, where they could bong away at their will.

I'd rather they scrapped the weather forecast, it's far too depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Ah mental mickeycome on-not 'whatever.'It is not right to enforce religious views on people on a daily basis on the national state run channel. Sure we can change the channel,why should we have to. I pay for this service as do a massive proportion of the poulation. I no more want this enforced on me as I would want Rhianna played every evening at 6pm. A mulitdenominational minute of reflection,fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Why do I get the feeling that if RTE showed a minute-long Islamic call to prayer segment, there would be uproar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

Otacon wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling that if RTE showed a minute-long Islamic call to prayer segment, there would be uproar?

Well for a start it would have to be shown 5 times a day.

Ah mental mickeycome on-not 'whatever.'It is not right to enforce religious views on people on a daily basis on the national state run channel. Sure we can change the channel,why should we have to. I pay for this service as do a massive proportion of the poulation. I no more want this enforced on me as I would want Rhianna played every evening at 6pm. A mulitdenominational minute of reflection,fine.

On the extremely rare occasions that I ever see it, it has the appearance of a multi-denominational, multi-ethnic production. If it were full of rabble-rousing Father Jack types telling us that we were going to burn in hell, it would be something worth complaining about.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    On the extremely rare occasions that I ever see it, it has the appearance of a multi-denominational, multi-ethnic production. If it were full of rabble-rousing Father Jack types telling us that we were going to burn in hell, it would be something worth complaining about.

First off there should not be a call to prayer, on the national station.
    Secondly, just because they changed the official title does not change the fact that it is the angelus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is only 1 minute a day ffs! Build a bridge and get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I like it.

Credit to the Angelus though for keeping it fresh and maintaining strong consistent ratings over time. How it keeps coming up with fresh storylines after all these years though I'll never know. :cool:

Not turning it off sounds like to martyrdom to me.:P

I don't think that your opinion is shared by the majority, and they also pay their licence fees, so you're stuck with it. You should get the timing right and miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

You seem to have a lot to get off your chest today dchris. What with RTE ramming the angelus and aslan down your throat maybe you should boycott RTE for a while. Take some time out and chill.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Doesn't bother me particularly but I would like them to be a bit more humourous with the videos (eg actually use the parody one or the Star Wars one) in order to make people like myself feel more included on this 50 year long practical joke. Plenty of room for new montages too. Maybe one of the Ireland players facial reactions after letting in yet another goal at the Euros.

So the belief of the "majority" should be state sanctioned and broadcast to everyone?

• Advertisement

So the belief of the "majority" should be state sanctioned and broadcast to everyone?

If that's what the majority of people want, that's what the majority should get.

Advertisement