Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Premier League: Pre-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Heres my team so far, tell me what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

shaneb92 wrote: »

Your defence and keeper need to be changed. You cannot afford to invest so much on 4 players (Vidic, Kompany, Hart and Baines). Vidic might not even be fit for the start of the season.

I made a few changes in my head there and you could field a very good back 5 and save 7.5 million in total.

That's enough to then upgrade the likes of Robson-Kanu to a Pienaar (provided he moves in time) and get Torres in instead of Long (which is a vital move imo).

Maybe get rid of Sigurdsson for the time being. I can't see him starting at the moment. You've enough left in the bank to go for a Hazard or a Silva who would be a better option than Siggy (as much as it pains me to say that).

Don't go heavy at the back. All it takes is one goal in the first minute of a match and your 7 million pound defender is a write off for the rest of the game.

You're better off investing your money in your midfield and in your strikers who have a great chance of scoring all the way through a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

shaneb92 wrote: »
    Considering the fact you spent so much on defence, it's not a bad effort at all imo but agree totally with Jimmy. You can easily save a few million and improve on a few of your midfielders and strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

So the donkey Carroll goes to West Ham in the end...didn't see that coming.
    Probably makes him more of an option in FF though seeing as he'll probably get a first place position there.

I'm in no way tempted myself but what do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Your defence and keeper need to be changed. You cannot afford to invest so much on 4 players (Vidic, Kompany, Hart and Baines). Vidic might not even be fit for the start of the season.

I made a few changes in my head there and you could field a very good back 5 and save 7.5 million in total.

That's enough to then upgrade the likes of Robson-Kanu to a Pienaar (provided he moves in time) and get Torres in instead of Long (which is a vital move imo).

Maybe get rid of Sigurdsson for the time being. I can't see him starting at the moment. You've enough left in the bank to go for a Hazard or a Silva who would be a better option than Siggy (as much as it pains me to say that).

Don't go heavy at the back. All it takes is one goal in the first minute of a match and your 7 million pound defender is a write off for the rest of the game.

You're better off investing your money in your midfield and in your strikers who have a great chance of scoring all the way through a game.

Thanks for the help :)

I changed it around again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

smokingman wrote: »
    So the donkey Carroll goes to West Ham in the end...didn't see that coming.

neither did i. He's still a 'Pool player :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Will Mata be in the chelsea squad for the first two matches? Or will he be still with the Spanish olympics squad/given some time off?

spurs liverpool game on espn 6pm by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

QPR have been busy again. Fabio, Hoilett, Park Ji-Sung, Green, and now Hargreaves.

If Hughes can get his act together, he can add those to a squad already containing Taarabt, Wright-Phillips, Zamora, and Cisse, and hit a decent mid-table finish, IMO.

Could be some value in there. Not sure how steady they'll be in defence, but they should score well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Ruiz, Petric and Sidwell the scorers in Fulham's game. Morrison and Vaughan the scores for Norwich in their game. Boselli scoring once again (that's 3 in 3 games) for Wigan but it's only half time.

This Boselli lad is looking promising but I can't find him in the game, is he listed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

FatRat wrote: »
    Ruiz, Petric and Sidwell the scorers in Fulham's game. Morrison and Vaughan the scores for Norwich in their game. Boselli scoring once again (that's 3 in 3 games) for Wigan but it's only half time.

This Boselli lad is looking promising but I can't find him in the game, is he listed?

Any idea what position Ruiz played?

dahat wrote: »
    Any idea what position Ruiz played?

Up front afaik. Not sure if he was behind Petric or vice versa. Or whether there was 2 up front side-by-side.

Did Super Clint play

Never mind. Just saw on ffs he's 2 weeks away from fitness

Spurs have agreed fee for Pienaar. About time.... deal is pretty much done now and Pienaar is now officially a bargain at 6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Petric has 4 goals in the last 3 friendlies.

He also has 38 golas in 98 games for Hamburg and 13 goals in 29 games for Dortmund. Will be interesting to see how well he does this season

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Spurs have agreed fee for Pienaar. About time.... deal is pretty much done now and Pienaar is now officially a bargain at 6.5

Everton though are traditionally poor starting out,worries me.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

Me too, also Pienaar's returns at the end of last season weren't really in keeping with his previous form at Everton IIRC. I'll wait and see if he can do the biz regularly although in his favour FF wise, he will probably be guaranteed a place without rotation, whereas a lot of higher valued midfielders will not be.

I know it's pretty true on paper but "being poor at until Christmas" can't be justified and cannot be fact if you know what I mean. It's very odd for a team to be poor for 5 months the suddenly become good season after season. I'd take the statement with a pinch of salt.

I'm just finished watching Chelsea lose 1-0 to AC Milan. Both had good sides out. Hazard got the full 90 mins. He was on the wing for the 1st half. He's was quite poor in the 1st half. His only intention when he gets the ball is the run at players and he was bit a frustrating to watch, very similar to Nani. But, the same as Nani, he can be brilliant. He moved into the role behind the centre forward in the second half, a role which completely suited him because his game immediately got better after moving. He got on the ball loads and didn't waste it. He created chances and made great runs himself. He would have scored if Milan's defence wasn't so good imo. I think the role behind the striker might well be the role he is handed this season. If that's the case then he could be FF gold. The thing is though, I'll go back to when I said heis frustrating. If he is that kind of player consistently ... I can find other ways to spend my 9.5. Chelsea are looking sharp enough. Only for a slip-up by Ivanovic/Cahill ... it would have ended 0-0 with Chelsea being the better team.

Also..... Jon Walters scores once again for Stoke (it's half time). That's 2 in 2 games and neither were penalties. I'm definitely adding him to my team anyway, that's my final midfield player dilemma sorted.

In other news Steven Taylor has scored 2 goals in 2 games for Newcastle after just returning from injury. That's impressive for a defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

I know it's pretty true on paper but "being poor at until Christmas" can't be justified and cannot be fact if you know what I mean. It's very odd for a team to be poor for 5 months the suddenly become good season after season. I'd take the statement with a pinch of salt.

I'm just finished watching Chelsea lose 1-0 to AC Milan. Both had good sides out. Hazard got the full 90 mins. He was on the wing for the 1st half. He's was quite poor in the 1st half. His only intention when he gets the ball is the run at players and he was bit a frustrating to watch, very similar to Nani. But, the same as Nani, he can be brilliant. He moved into the role behind the centre forward in the second half, a role which completely suited him because his game immediately got better after moving. He got on the ball loads and didn't waste it. He created chances and made great runs himself. He would have scored if Milan's defence wasn't so good imo. I think the role behind the striker might well be the role he is handed this season. If that's the case then he could be FF gold. The thing is though, I'll go back to when I said heis frustrating. If he is that kind of player consistently ... I can find other ways to spend my 9.5. Chelsea are looking sharp enough. Only for a slip-up by Ivanovic/Cahill ... it would have ended 0-0 with Chelsea being the better team.

Also..... Jon Walters scores once again for Stoke (it's half time). That's 2 in 2 games and neither were penalties. I'm definitely adding him to my team anyway, that's my final midfield player dilemma sorted.

Cheers for that Rat, I'll be keeping Hazard in my team. chelsea will want 6 points in the bag before they go to Arsenal so they'll play their best 11. Hazard is a cert for those games imo, and he won't be up against the Milan defence in either game in GW1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

carlcon wrote: »
    QPR have been busy again. Fabio, Hoilett, Park Ji-Sung, Green, and now Hargreaves.

If Hughes can get his act together, he can add those to a squad already containing Taarabt, Wright-Phillips, Zamora, and Cisse, and hit a decent mid-table finish, IMO.

Could be some value in there. Not sure how steady they'll be in defence, but they should score well.

I think Green at 4.5 could be a bargain. Hughes is very good at tightening his team's up at the back.

He did it as Blackburn and Fulham. It would be great if they correctly added Hoilett to the game as a mid for once.

He could be a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jcunning

Hi everyone!

My name is Joey and I've just registered for boards.ie. Everyone seems so nice on these forums.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

I'm watching the Arsenal v Kitchee match, is anyone considering The Ox for Gameweek 1?

Sunderland at home, Michael Turner's left and Wes Brown is doubtful, swollen knee. 7.5M in FPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

jcunning wrote: »
    I'm watching the Arsenal v Kitchee match, is anyone considering The Ox for Gameweek 1?

Sunderland at home, Michael Turner's left and Wes Brown is doubtful, swollen knee. 7.5M in FPL.
    I don't know if Wenger will play The Ox that much in first few games but he may be prove to be decent after January whenever Wenger plays him or not.

Thanks for the reply LostBoy101. For sure, he's a rotation risk. Tough to second guess Wenger, don't know how all the new signings will fit together.

Worth a punt on Giroud or Podolski?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

jcunning wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

My name is Joey and I've just registered for boards.ie. Everyone seems so nice on these forums.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome to Boards Joey.

Hope you enjoy yourself but you should...there`s some great forums on here.

Just found this one a couple of weeks ago myself and it`s proving very helpful. I`ve a couple of friends that I just have to beat this year.

Only 20 days to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'd imagine Silva would play in the hole though if/when he's fit and available, rather than Yaya.

Indeed. I'm kind of hoping that Silva will be rested for the first couple of weeks, though, because Yaya is great value if he's playing high up the pitch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Anyone considering Defoe?

Are Spurs looking at signing anyone new up front?

It must be value if he's going to be a regular starter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Shane732 wrote: »
    Anyone considering Defoe?

Are Spurs looking at signing anyone new up front?

It must be value if he's going to be a regular starter?

Well they were trying to sign Adebayor but he is being stupid as usual, but that means they are looking to sign another striker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

BKC wrote: »
    Well they were trying to sign Adebayor but he is being stupid as usual, but that means they are looking to sign another striker.

Ok cheers - so the likelihood is that Defoe won't be starting?

Having Torres and A. Cole is really making funds tight elsewhere for the first couple of weeks.

I don't intend on keeping either of them.

Advertisement