Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*NEW START* Any Other Plus Size Women Feel The Same?? MOD NOTE 1ST POST

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I always cut off the size label!!

In Penneys they sell seamless thong knickers and I always buy them in 16/18 because there is nothing I hate worse than the sight of pants causing a dent in the skin and ruining the line of clothes. Im a size 12 on my lower body btw. I just cut the tags off when I get home and happily wear them!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

People are ****. *hugs*
    I'm a size 12 and I get comments too! I once had a guy try to get with me in a club and I told him I had a boyfriend and he said "you're fat anyways", and another time I was walking home alone and a few guys were going past on a rickashaw and shouted to me "we'd invite you on, but you wouldn't fit"

People are crap. Thats the long and short version! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

People are ****. *hugs*
    I'm a size 12 and I get comments too! I once had a guy try to get with me in a club and I told him I had a boyfriend and he said "you're fat anyways", and another time I was walking home alone and a few guys were going past on a rickashaw and shouted to me "we'd invite you on, but you wouldn't fit"

People are crap. Thats the long and short version! :)

I'm sure the guys on the rickshaw were all like Hollister models themselves :rolleyes:. It's hard to think of an answer at the time but I'd have said "that's because your beer bellies take up too much space" or something like that. Drunken idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Emme wrote: »
    I'm sure the guys on the rickshaw were all like Hollister models themselves :rolleyes:. It's hard to think of an answer at the time but I'd have said "that's because your beer bellies take up too much space" or something like that. Drunken idiots!

I know it's tempting but I don't think body snarking is a good response to body snarking...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Kooli wrote: »
    I know it's tempting but I don't think body snarking is a good response to body snarking...

I agree with this. It solves nothing and will only end up with worse things being said, whereas if you ignore the comments generally they'll get bored of not getting a reaction and just shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 angeleyes44

Hi im plus size with Thyroid problems ,i get really down over it!
    i know how you feel i hate going outside now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I know the feeling, I've had a few remarks thrown at me this past year. I went from almost a size 12 (could fit into most size 10 clothes, but 12 was more comfy as I have IBS and bloat after I eat or drink) and now am a definite size 14. Even my mother has passed comment on it (and she is a size 22) but I am very happy with my current weight, even though I'm considered overweight on a BMI scale. I have a classic hourglass figure though, so fortunately I'm mostly boobs and bum, with a bit of a tummy. The only thing I don't like is the tummy, so I'm working on that - but my OH thinks I'm incredibly sexy with curves and he's known me when I was a size 8 five years ago!

It all comes down to how you feel, but when people pass comment on me I smile and say "aww, thanks!". Baffles the hell outta people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jesus, since when does being size 12 mean you are fat?! Crazy stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

leahyl wrote: »

Jesus, since when does being size 12 mean you are fat?! Crazy stuff

Only when you bruise an idiot's ego by turning him down!

Also I've heard of guys in cars passing girls and shouting out the window at them, happened to my wife when she was out walking one day, couple of guys driving by in a car shouted "fat bitch" out the window at her, completely random.

I just told her "You're really going to let some random scumbags dictate your self worth?", and I'd say the same to any girl tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I hate it, I heard two guys making a comment at me on the bus last week, won't repeat it but these were two well dressed older guys who really should know better. I hate to say it but it made me feel like sh!t for the rest of the day.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    I hate it, I heard two guys making a comment at me on the bus last week, won't repeat it but these were two well dressed older guys who really should know better. I hate to say it but it made me feel like sh!t for the rest of the day.

God that's awful eviltwin - don't let it get to you (I know that's easier said than done though). I just cannot believe the ignorance of people nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

God that's awful eviltwin - don't let it get to you (I know that's easier said than done though). I just cannot believe the ignorance of people nowadays

Its the fact they didn't even attempt to hide it you know? It was almost as if it was okay to say it out loud because I am big so its somehow okay. It was more that than what they actually said. I know human nature being what it is we make comments about people based on how they look, dress etc but most people keep it to themselves. I always wonder why idiots like this feel they need to tell you how your size makes them feel, what do they expect you to do with that information? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

+1

Best way to look at is to thank your lucky stars that youre not with a fool like that. Its only themselves they are showing up with their rude, ignorant and petty comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I know the feeling, I've had a few remarks thrown at me this past year. I went from almost a size 12 (could fit into most size 10 clothes, but 12 was more comfy as I have IBS and bloat after I eat or drink) and now am a definite size 14. Even my mother has passed comment on it (and she is a size 22) but I am very happy with my current weight, even though I'm considered overweight on a BMI scale. I have a classic hourglass figure though, so fortunately I'm mostly boobs and bum, with a bit of a tummy. The only thing I don't like is the tummy, so I'm working on that - but my OH thinks I'm incredibly sexy with curves and he's known me when I was a size 8 five years ago!

It all comes down to how you feel, but when people pass comment on me I smile and say "aww, thanks!". Baffles the hell outta people :rolleyes:
    How does someone even see a big woman when they see a well proportioned size 14 woman?! :confused:
    Where do these muppets come from?! God it's grim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Am un-animously overweight now, but had pretty decent (if I may say so myself!) genuine "actual-curve" curves in Secondary School that I didn't/couldn't learn to appreciate at all due to simply just thinking I was bigger than all the others and it's too late for them nice curves now. :/ Maybe I might have viewed it differently if there was even a slight mix of sizes amongst us, but as there wasn't it was blatantly clear I was one/two of the only ones any way bigger, even a small bit bigger, than any of the rest of the girls so it wouldn't have been easy to view it any other way. Would nearly die (but wouldn't really die as I've no interest in losing weight right now,) for those curves back again, if I had them now I'd dress them up and dress them down and dress them everyway! :D

Wouldn't know much about losing weight myself lol but am sure any bit of weight-loss can be seen as an incentive to keep going. If I was intending to lose weight I think I'd try the stick-a-picture-on-the-fridge trick.

On a side-note I'd love if all Clothes-shops were obliged to stock all sizes undies and bras etc. I guess there's always online-shopping but different styles and fit have to be contended with which is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

had pretty decent (if I may say so myself!) genuine "actual-curve" curves in Secondary School that I didn't/couldn't learn to appreciate at all due to simply just thinking I was bigger than all the others and it's too late for them nice curves now. :/ Maybe I might have viewed it differently if there was even a slight mix of sizes amongst us, but as there wasn't it was blatantly clear I was one/two of the only ones any way bigger, even a small bit bigger

I was the same in school. Honestly thought I was "fat" because I was a bit bigger than most of my friends. Looking back....WHAT was I thinking? I was a size 10!! Just shows the warped teenage mindset. A big part of it was not knowing how to dress well for my curves - a lot of teenage clothes were very straight up and down. The biggest part was my dad buying clothes for me when he went on trips, but he didn't know my size. So, he'd come back with size 14 clothes that were too big, but he'd say "You'll grow into them". That really messed with my body perception.

Since I already had those bigger clothes, it made it easier to simply grow to fill them after I left school until now (I'm 23). I'm around a size 14 now, pushing a 16 in some brands. I want to lose weight, and it's pure laziness that I haven't. This year though I've found a new interest in fashion, and have finally found styles that I like and suit me..so it might be just the push I need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

When I was younger I was very ill and underweight as I started to get better I started eating more, I began to get bigger than the below average weight people in my class, then the bullying started. To say it was horrific is an understatement and this went on for 6 years, it broke me down. I lost interest in sport because no matter what I did I was tormented.
    Fast forward to my late teenage years and my confidence is much improved, still over weight but happy. Then I meet Mr. Dickhead and go out with him for about 2 years, I've put on more weight and my confidence is literally on the ground.
    I'm now in my mid twenties, I'm getting my weight under control, I'm more active and I know I dress well and make an effort with my appearance. I have confidence and I think once you have real confidence you'll find that you won't receive so many negative comments or come across abuse.
    I was only insulted once by a drunk and to be honest ugly man and my reply was, I can loose the weight but you can't change your face.
    I also think that its important for people to dress to suit their body shape, whether you be plus size or slim. I feel so much better about myself since I've gotten my weight under control, ive curves and I love them.
    Don't ever let a stranger dictate how you feel about yourself, it says a lot about how they feel if they are happy to insult a stranger, I'd also never be afraid to pull someone up if you felt they were being derogatory about someone else.

I'm a size 12 most of the time - bigger in the lower half of my body though so sometimes need a 14 in some types of jeans or whatever but at the moment I feel extremely big because I have been eating nothing but rubbish in the run up to Christmas! I just love my food! I' haven't been doing any exercise for the last month and a half at least so I feel HUGE! Have my work Christmas party next week and haven't a clue what to wear - the pressure I put on myself is ridiculous! I know I'm probably not as big as I imagine but I compare myself to others a lot actually - just begun to realise that.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was the same in school. Honestly thought I was "fat" because I was a bit bigger than most of my friends. Looking back....WHAT was I thinking? I was a size 10!! Just shows the warped teenage mindset. A big part of it was not knowing how to dress well for my curves - a lot of teenage clothes were very straight up and down.

Similar here - thought I was Fatty Mc Fatterson at times in secondary school because I wasn't a size 6-8 or built completely straight up and down. I was about 9 stone at 5'4"-5'6", size 10-ish, for most of my teenage years, but had a bit of an hourglass figure and muscular legs (I did a lot of martial arts at that stage) so I felt like I stuck out a bit. Pretty infuriating looking back tbh! As an adult I've been anything from a size 12 to a size 18-20, have managed to hold on the lower end of that for around 3 years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

I think I've always felt fat but it's hard to pin point the times when I actually was overweight and the times when it was just my low self esteem.

Even now, I have problems knowing whether or not I could stand to lose a few pounds. I'm 27, 5 ft 1 and weigh 9 and a half stone. I'm quite curvy - 32F boobs and def have an ass, so sometimes I think I wear it well, other times I feel like a whale.

The most I've been is about ten and a half stone during my teen (chubby) years and the smallest is about seven stone when I was actively starving myself and over-exercising in what was clearly an eating disorder. I wasn't happy at either of those weights but in my head I should be about eight stone.

I have a terrible relationship with food, I'm either starving or bingeing. A total emotional eater. I've been like that most of my life.

At this stage I don't know how to change :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

tomthetank wrote: »
    I think I've always felt fat but it's hard to pin point the times when I actually was overweight and the times when it was just my low self esteem.

Even now, I have problems knowing whether or not I could stand to lose a few pounds. I'm 27, 5 ft 1 and weigh 9 and a half stone. I'm quite curvy - 32F boobs and def have an ass, so sometimes I think I wear it well, other times I feel like a whale.

The most I've been is about ten and a half stone during my teen (chubby) years and the smallest is about seven stone when I was actively starving myself and over-exercising in what was clearly an eating disorder. I wasn't happy at either of those weights but in my head I should be about eight stone.

I have a terrible relationship with food, I'm either starving or bingeing. A total emotional eater. I've been like that most of my life.

At this stage I don't know how to change :confused:

I clicked on this thread wanting to post exactly what you just said!

I too have always had problems with the way I look. I've always felt fat and I still do. I am 5'7 and 11 stone and some at the moment and right now I am actually fat but a couple of years ago, I weighed 9 stone and I still felt fat. I know the problem is how I see myself and until I figure out my happiness from the inside, it doesn't matter what I weigh, I am always going to feel ugly and fat.

I hadn't been intimate with anyone for four years because I felt too ugly to be attractive to anyone- even when someone said they found me attractive, I sabotaged it because I didn't want to deal with the moment when the scales would finally drop from their eyes and they would see me for what I am- ugly and fat. People are constantly telling me I am beautiful, gorgeous, etc but I resent them for dangling the possibility in front of me. I actually sometimes dislike them more than those people who I know don't find me attractive. Last week though, I convinced myself to let go and was intimate with someone who turned out to be an ass. I wonder now whether subconsciously, I went with someone who would reinforce how I see myself?

If I could change one thing about me, it would be my confidence. I see people who are bigger than me, who are happy and carefree and so attractive because of it. I try and fake it but people can smell when you're faking it. I don't know what to do at this point. I am starting a water fast today to lose weight. I am going to drink water for 30 days and see if it can change how I feel about myself. It's a long shot. I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

fatandugg1 wrote: »
    I am starting a water fast today to lose weight. I am going to drink water for 30 days and see if it can change how I feel about myself. It's a long shot. I know.

Please don't do that. It's eating disorder territory, any weight loss will be regained instantly and you're going to end up feeling twenty times worse about yourself when you inevitably end up bingeing anyway. It just perpetrates the negative thinking and depression. Speaking as someone who has spent a decade doing all kinds of dumb, dangerous, retarded, stupid things in the name of shedding a few pounds which never succeeded and made me even more insecure in the end.

I don't really have a problem with intimacy. Not exactly overjoyed at the sight of myself naked, but men have never been the problem for me, they've never had any complaints. If anything my perception of how attractive I am to the opposite sex is just another way that I try to validate myself - because I don't really feel it from the inside, I need to find outside things, like men, or weighing scales, fitting into jeans of a smaller size.

It's such a minefield. But don't starve yourself and put your life at risk. You're worth more than that. When I look back on the times in my life when I felt good about my body, it was always times when I was eating all the right things, exercising a lot, treating my body with respect. The times when I was starving myself, punishing myself for every morsel that passed my lips - misery, depression, despair, pain, pressure, complete lack of hope. It affects you physiologically as well as physically and emotionally. You can't have the strength to build your confidence when your body is a starved, nutrient-deprived, lethargic mess. Don't go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 angeleyes44

i would say a plus size is from a 16-18 upwards !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Madam_X wrote: »
    How does someone even see a big woman when they see a well proportioned size 14 woman?! :confused:
    Where do these muppets come from?! God it's grim...

I think some people are trying to hit where they know it hurts. Most women don't like to be called fat and these **** know that. It's seen as a universal sore spot. I reckon they'll say anything irrespective of whether it's true or not just to hurt someone....because they're ****. It doesn't make it any better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I'm not a plus size but I have noticed recently especially among some men (over 35) the way they describe women is dreadful. It's as if they zone in on a particular feature and refer to the female as " you know the one with the .....", never calling the female by her first name. Instead of saying something positive it's always in a negative way. I guess what I'm trying to say that if some people weren't commenting about weight / size they will find something else about you to be negative about to make themselves to feel more superior / better (I hope this comes across right).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I was the same in school. Honestly thought I was "fat" because I was a bit bigger than most of my friends. Looking back....WHAT was I thinking? I was a size 10!! Just shows the warped teenage mindset.

I've found this with a few friends (and myself) as well. When I was a teenager I had a slightly bigger frame, but was convinced I was fat (I wasn't.) I thought when other people were talking about the fat kids that they didn't mention me because I was just such a nobody that I didn't even deserve mentioning, when really it was because no-one but myself saw me as fat.

And then when I started having mental health troubles when I was almost 20 I piled on the pounds and actually did become fat (although I'm working on it now.) And it didn't bother me at the time, because sure wasn't I already fat and getting a little fatter wouldn't make a difference. I just had such a bad image of myself it was like I was desperate to make it true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yep, makes sense that it would become a self fulfilling prophecy. I used to think I was fat as a teen because I had a sticky-out tummy; besides that I was skinny apart from having big boobs, but I zoned in on the tum.

Size 14 now - love my curves. That's genuine - smart-asses always dismiss that way of thinking as denial. Still unhappy with my tum, and now my arms, but I can appreciate the good now too - slim legs, pert bum, big boobs. I want to get the tum flatter though, but for health reasons mainly.

Again though, it's not like size 14 is huge. :confused:
    In fairness I've never had smart comments hurled at me as size 14. Would be gutted if it happened though. How nasty and humiliating.
    I love food and that's that - I'm not even talking about junkfood, moreso lunches etc with my pals - but these are high in calories. And I don't do much exercise lately - I think it's important to get active, especially if your job is sedentary, as mine is.
    To the anonymous poster talking about a water-only regime, 5 ft 7 and 11 stone is really not fat; a bit overweight perhaps but no way would anyone look at you and think you're fat, just average sized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

It can totally mess with your head when you're a teenager & in a group of friends where everyone's petite, skinny, still not fully developed and you're more advanced in the game, boobs, hips, an ample figure that you're still getting used to.

I remember myself being about 14 years old, a competitive tennis player & our coach gave us a fitness test as part of a training programme. He took all our stats - height, weight, heart rate, flexibility etc. The coach took a weighing scales out in the middle of the hall and weighed us all, one by one, right in front of each other, and announced all the heights & weights casually as he charted them.

I was just under nine stone & mortified. Everyone else, bar a 5 ft 11er, was at least a stone lower & I vowed right then to go on a diet - this healthy, fit, vibrant 14 year old with beautifully developing curves & a healthy appetite and all of a sudden I was exercising like a maniac & picking at my food. I was nine stone and felt hideous. That still gets to me.

We had a reassessment a few weeks later, I was down half a stone and on top of the world. I think that really set the wheels for what would become an obsession with losing weight, that adrenaline buzz that I felt at registering a lower weight on the scales. A recurring theme in my life. When you're caught in that sort of an obsessive drive in your life & your confidence is low, it can quickly become very sinister & pervade every aspect of your being. It can become a crutch.

Being adolescent & not fully emotionally developed & then feeling the weight (pardon pun) of comparison to your peers can be a very dangerous place to be. I know now that my curves are genetic, I will always have boobs & will never obtain a straight up and down figure without doing serious physical damage. But ten years ago...I hated myself for not looking like my skinny friends.

Advertisement