Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread 2012

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Esse85 wrote: »
    I was onto a woman from the tax dept today, I asked had I any other alternative other than printing it as I don't have a printer and told her that if I went to an internet cafe that the etax software would need to be installed on their system, she said I can fill it in manually, do I need to get anyone to sign it then or can I just send it in when I have it completed.

Also does anyone know what percentage I'll be deducted for handing in a late application?

I thought the whole point to etax was you did it online and you didn't have to print or sign anything, if you are going to fill the in a taxpack manually then you would just use a pen would you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I thought the whole point to etax was you did it online and you didn't have to print or sign anything, if you are going to fill the in a taxpack manually then you would just use a pen would you not.
    For some reason they cannot verify my details, and they cannot tell me over the phone why not, I'd been told I'd have to meet with someone from centrelink. Any time I've dealt with customer service in Oz they've been absolutely useless, the tax crowd are highly incompetent. It's only $300 I'm looking to claim back yet their making it so hard to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Esse85 wrote: »
    I was onto a woman from the tax dept today, I asked had I any other alternative other than printing it as I don't have a printer and told her that if I went to an internet cafe that the etax software would need to be installed on their system, she said I can fill it in manually, do I need to get anyone to sign it then or can I just send it in when I have it completed.

Also does anyone know what percentage I'll be deducted for handing in a late application?
    E-Tax is a electronic tax return. It's to save you the hassle of filling in a paper application. If you can't use etax, then you can get a paper form from a tax office shop. You don't need to print it from the etax program.
    I'm not use where you'd get one now as its well past the final date to lodge. You had until 31st oct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Hi looking for a bit of advice.

When filling out my tax form when starting a new job about a month ago I filled in yes to being a resident for tax purposes.
    The girl on the payroll changed it thinking I filled it in wrong.
    I've been in to see her 3 times now and to her I am a resident but she keeps saying that I'm not. I told her I intend to stay 6 months filled in the calculator on the revenue website and it says I'm a resident but she's as thick as a sack of spuds so there's no talking to her.
    This week I got taxed 140 dollars more than I would of if she didnt fiddle with it.

So my question is should I just leave it now cos I'm sick of the sight of her.
    Will I get it all back when I claim it back when I return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Hi looking for a bit of advice.

When filling out my tax form when starting a new job about a month ago I filled in yes to being a resident for tax purposes.
    The girl on the payroll changed it thinking I filled it in wrong.
    I've been in to see her 3 times now and to her I am a resident but she keeps saying that I'm not. I told her I intend to stay 6 months filled in the calculator on the revenue website and it says I'm a resident but she's as thick as a sack of spuds so there's no talking to her.
    This week I got taxed 140 dollars more than I would of if she didnt fiddle with it.

So my question is should I just leave it now cos I'm sick of the sight of her.
    Will I get it all back when I claim it back when I return.

You will get back any tax you overpay once you click "Resident for Tax Purposes" on your tax return, so you could just leave it and look at it as a good way of saving. I really don't understand how so many payroll people struggle with this definition, it's not bloody rocket science, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

jackbhoy wrote: »
    You will get back any tax you overpay once you click "Resident for Tax Purposes" on your tax return, so you could just leave it and look at it as a good way of saving. I really don't understand how so many payroll people struggle with this definition, it's not bloody rocket science, is it?

No it's not. It's fairly basic. I may as well just leave it now.

Just to confirm when filling the tax return put in resident for tax purposes even though the girl in admin filled out non resident. This will be my last job in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

No it's not. It's fairly basic. I may as well just leave it now.

Just to confirm when filling the tax return put in resident for tax purposes even though the girl in admin filled out non resident. This will be my last job in Australia.

Yep, the ATO will then calculate your tax liability based on RFTP status and you will be refunded any tax overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 meallat

Hi Hussey, great thread, I was about to go through a tax agent with a fee until I saw this, I've been onto the ato website to try download a tax return form and compare it to your sample as I go along filling it in, but can't find one anywhere?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

you can downloas etax and print it out

hussey wrote: »
    you can downloas etax and print it out

Thanks, the only one on ETAX is the 2012 tax form , I've only been working in Oz since mid July- Novemeber 2012 which falls under the period for claiming with the 2013 tax form (1st July 2012 - 30th June 2013) and have since returned to Ireland. Does this mean I have to wait to file this tax return as the period I'm trying to claim from is so recent?

If it's a matter of waiting, I think taxback.com have a service where they can request for an early assesment of tax returns as I am a taxpayer leaving Australia ( I just got back to Ireland last week and am trying to file the return from here).

Would rather do it all myself and save the fee from taxback, but doesn't look possible as I'm seeking an early assesment and don't want to wait til the current tax year ends to file!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Have a read of the sticky there is a link that tells you what to do, print out 12/13 form and cross off 12/13 and put down 13/14 instead. You might need a cover letter. Seriously it's straight forward.
    Check out the links in sticky

hussey wrote: »
    Have a read of the sticky there is a link that tells you what to do, print out 12/13 form and cross off 12/13 and put down 13/14 instead. You might need a cover letter. Seriously it's straight forward.
    Check out the links in sticky

Ok got my hands on the form from etax, have crossed out 2012 and replaced with 2013 , so far so good, have been using your sample form as a guide and my situation is a very simple one so fingers crossed it's accepted! Do I need to enclose my final payslip before posting this off to Australia now? Nowhere on the form does it ask for it, but better to be safe than sorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Belt

Hey just a quick clarification on the tax system here! I'll only have been working for about 3 months during this Australian tax year and will have earned less than the tax free threshold - does this mean I can expect a full refund of all tax I'll have paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Belt wrote: »
    Hey just a quick clarification on the tax system here! I'll only have been working for about 3 months during this Australian tax year and will have earned less than the tax free threshold - does this mean I can expect a full refund of all tax I'll have paid?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Belt

Ok cheers, any idea how long the refund takes once you've lodged your return?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Hey

Just wondering if someone where can give me a definitive answer to if I am a resident for tax purposes

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/64131.htm

My situation is i arrived in Oz last sept and lived up the NSW coast till Jan so a bit less then 5 months and had two jobs.

Since then till now I've been in Sydney and worked two jobs. I will be in Sydney for over 6 months can I claim that I am a resident for tax?

Thanks in advance

Just did the wizard

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

menuisier wrote: »
    Hey

Just wondering if someone where can give me a definitive answer to if I am a resident for tax purposes

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/64131.htm

My situation is i arrived in Oz last sept and lived up the NSW coast till Jan so a bit less then 5 months and had two jobs.

Since then till now I've been in Sydney and worked two jobs. I will be in Sydney for over 6 months can I claim that I am a resident for tax?

Thanks in advance

Just did the wizard

You been working in australia for more than 6 months, you are a resident for tax purposes.
    You don;t have to stay in the one spot for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I normally live in Sydney but have been staying in a motel on weekdays recently due to starting a new job in Gerringong and the commute being too long. Can I claim back the motel fees as a work related expense? Also I didnt file a tax return at the end of the financial year last year as i'd only been working for 2 or 3 weeks at that stage, can I claim back now what little I would have been owed for that period or is it too late?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Another quick question...

So i've worked in this job for 3 months, and will be for another month at least. Plan on staying in Melbourne for another 4-5 months anyway. Also, I have been in an apartment for the last month, and will be there till at least November. So i'm pretty sure that would make me a resident for tax purposes, right?

If so, I will have earned (just) over the threshold by the end of this tax year, so i should get all the tax i paid (on the first $18200), and then a smaller amount on any more i earn? And do i have to claim it straight away, or could i wait till November/December when i'll probably have to leave and claim everything i'm owed? Might be a better way for me to save some money that way.

Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Kiith wrote: »
    Another quick question...

So i've worked in this job for 3 months, and will be for another month at least. Plan on staying in Melbourne for another 4-5 months anyway. Also, I have been in an apartment for the last month, and will be there till at least November. So i'm pretty sure that would make me a resident for tax purposes, right?

If so, I will have earned (just) over the threshold by the end of this tax year, so i should get all the tax i paid (on the first $18200), and then a smaller amount on any more i earn? And do i have to claim it straight away, or could i wait till November/December when i'll probably have to leave and claim everything i'm owed? Might be a better way for me to save some money that way.

Cheers for the info.

Any money earned in the tax year has to be claimed within that tax claim, so what u earn from July 1 til u leave in November can only be claimed come end of June 2014.

Afaik if u don't put a claim in by end of October you can't claim it, again I could be wrong..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

rightyabe wrote: »
    Any money earned in the tax year has to be claimed within that tax claim, so what u earn from July 1 til u leave in November can only be claimed come end of June 2014.

Afaik if u don't put a claim in by end of October you can't claim it, again I could be wrong..

Wrong on both accounts. If you leave the country before the end of the financial year, you can put in an early tax return provided you won't be working in the country again in that financial year.

Also you can put in a return after the end of October but you would be charged interest etc on any amount you owe after this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Lol..epic boards fail..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

Hi guys,

Anyone know if you can claim x amount on a purchase of a new laptop? I have been told you can claim up to $300..

Advertisement