Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Mellor wrote: »
    No. You don't need the medicare exemption letter before you can claim that back. You are already exempt if you are from the RoI, the application is just for a written statement to that effect.
    I claimed the exemption the last two years but I've never been asked for proof. If they do ask i'll apply for the written proof then.

If you use a tax agent you will have to provide the medicare exemption certificate, they won't allow you to claim the medicare levy exemption without it.

I also had a couple of mates that were charged $200+ by tax agents to apply for a medicare exemption certificate. Worth noting its free to apply for it, don't let a tax agent charge you!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I've had routine blood tests and a couple of visits to the doctor over the last year which I had to pay out of my own pocket. Basically I was told that I had to pay in cash and then claim it back under your medicare card. I explained that I didn't have a medicare card (on 457 visa) and that I wasn't eligible for one.

Is there a way to recoup some of these costs?. I'm not sure if its done at tax time or some other avenue?

Cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

s.c wrote: »
    If that is what you have earned in the last tax year then you would be entiled to get all your tax back ($1355)

ok i received my payg payment summary this morning
    gross payments:5884
    total tax with held was:1355

so im entitled to the full amount then on top of that can i claim up to 300 dollars?? what will i claim for in an office job (do i have to describe my claims)

the medicare exemption how much is it worth?

can i claim for the medicare exemption now even though i still havent posted (can u email) application for medicare levy exemption cert

sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Feelgood wrote: »
    If you use a tax agent you will have to provide the medicare exemption certificate,
    No you don't. I've done it via an agent without a certificate.
    If some agents insist on it to try get money for an application that's a different thing.
    Feelgood wrote: »
    I've had routine blood tests and a couple of visits to the doctor over the last year which I had to pay out of my own pocket. Basically I was told that I had to pay in cash and then claim it back under your medicare card. I explained that I didn't have a medicare card (on 457 visa) and that I wasn't eligible for one.

Is there a way to recoup some of these costs?. I'm not sure if its done at tax time or some other avenue?
    You aren't entitled to medicare so you aren't covered for the costs. This isn't a tax issue.
    darcy07 wrote: »
    ok i received my payg payment summary this morning
    gross payments:5884
    total tax with held was:1355

so im entitled to the full amount then on top of that can i claim up to 300 dollars?? what will i claim for in an office job (do i have to describe my claims)

No of course not.
    How could you claim extra on top of what you earned. They don't just give out free money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Hey guys I've been on a 457 the last two years but my company hasn't done LAFHA for me can I clam anything back for LAFHA myself? Have had a bit of conflicting information on this.

Also I just recently applied for my sponsored PR visa. Can I clam any of the costs of that back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Doc wrote: »
    Hey guys I've been on a 457 the last two years but my company hasn't done LAFHA for me can I clam anything back for LAFHA myself? Have had a bit of conflicting information on this.

Also I just recently applied for my sponsored PR visa. Can I clam any of the costs of that back?

LAFHA - no, it's an employer fringe benefit.
    PR - don't think so, but I'm not sure. Don't think can be classed as a work expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

I've everything filled in but when it tries to verify my identity but it keeps telling me "the information you have provided does not match our records", has this happened to anyone. I don't see how the info is wrong they only asked for name, dob, tfn, phone number and email none of which have changed...

is it your first year? Or did you apply last year?

Last year a number of people had the same issue usually with their first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Hey guys, I'm on a WHV and it's my second tax year. I've made roughly 60k and payed 18k tax between 3 different companies.

Is it worth me going to a accountant or just do it myself online? Will I get the same back either way?

Also I did 4 months work in Darwin and I heard you qualify for a tax break doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nedbroy

Me again, thank you hussey for the last reply, finally it makes sense to me. couple more questions- can your super be an allowable deduction as well as the 300 allowable expenses? Wishful thinking?

The etax refund calculator asks how long you've been here or intend to be here for if a part year resident. I take it you only include the number of months you were here during the 11/12 financial year? The intend part threw me off. Also the refund increases the longer you say you were/intend to be here

Edit: found info on last years thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

No you don't. I've done it via an agent without a certificate.
    If some agents insist on it to try get money for an application that's a different thing.

You aren't entitled to medicare so you aren't covered for the costs. This isn't a tax issue.

No of course not.
    How could you claim extra on top of what you earned. They don't just give out free money.

thanks for the response but have read elsewhere on threads that u can claim back up to 300 dollars in expenses??

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

thanks for the response but have read elsewhere on threads that u can claim back up to 300 dollars in expenses??

You can, but the sum total of what you get back will never exceed what you've paid in tax. As Mellor says, they don't just give away free money.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

It's not application for exemption, you are exempt regardless. It's a declaration of exemption only needed if they asked. If you earned under the threshold I don't imagine they'll ever ask for proof. So just go ahead.

Great, thanks for that, just sent it on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

hussey wrote: »
    is it your first year? Or did you apply last year?

Last year a number of people had the same issue usually with their first time.

Yeah its my first year. I assume I just give them a ring to try and get it sorted?

Yeah its my first year. I assume I just give them a ring to try and get it sorted?
    maybe - honestly not sure, but you can also print it off and send it in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

hey, im on a WHV, and am filling out my tax refund using the ATO computer program, and at the end of it, it says that I owe the ATO $1450 approx !!!

But when I fill out my tax estimate on taxback.com, it says im entitled to a refund of approx $950! Any ideas whats up with that?

hey, im on a WHV, and am filling out my tax refund using the ATO computer program, and at the end of it, it says that I owe the ATO $1450 approx !!!

But when I fill out my tax estimate on taxback.com, it says im entitled to a refund of approx $950! Any ideas whats up with that?

Taxback.com will say you are a resident for tax purposes. Also make sure you have no money owed for medicare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Just a quick question about the medicare levy:

As I have yet to begin my e-tax application - i'm waiting on my final PAYG cert off an employer - I am wondering what I have to do regarding the medicare levy. Does this medicare levy come out of my taxes paid, or is it something that will be added on to my owed tax as I progress through my e-tax application?

So, should I apply for the exemption prior to starting my application, even though i've only paid roughly $1400 in tax altogether this year, or can I afford to ignore it given the small amount of tax i've paid? Also, I havent availed of any medical care since i've been here.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Was talking to a fella about the tax back and he said he went to a agent last year and he said that when he worked on a farm he needed to use his phone for work (to call the farmer a couple of times a day). He said he used it 70%/30% for business/personal use, in the end the agent used 60%/40% so of the 500$ in receipts for credit he had, the agent put down $300 for phone costs..

Is this possible, and where in the online ATO form would you fill it in? aslo would you need to have receipts, or as I buy my credit online would a bank statement do if I needed it?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Just a quick question about the medicare levy, as the whole thing has left me fairly confused:

As I have yet to begin my e-tax application - i'm waiting on my final PAYG cert off an employer - I am wondering what I have to do or not do regarding the medicare part of my application. Does this medicare levy come out of my taxes paid, or is it something that will be added on to my owed tax when this is calculated?

So, should I apply for the exemption prior to starting my application, even though i've only paid roughly $1400 in tax altogether this year, or can I afford to ignore it given the small amount of tax i've paid? Also, I havent availed of any medical care since i've been here.

Im assuming I just ring up the medicare office and they'll post out an exemption form once I tell them i'm on a WHV and havent had any healthcare treatment.

• Advertisement

Just a quick question about the medicare levy:

As I have yet to begin my e-tax application - i'm waiting on my final PAYG cert off an employer - I am wondering what I have to do regarding the medicare levy. Does this medicare levy come out of my taxes paid, or is it something that will be added on to my owed tax as I progress through my e-tax application?
    It's an add on tax at end of year.
    So, should I apply for the exemption prior to starting my application, even though i've only paid roughly $1400 in tax altogether this year, or can I afford to ignore it given the small amount of tax i've paid?
    How much money did you earn, there is a low income threshold that is exempt from Medicare regardless (sorry can't remember rate, but could be on ATO)
    But if you need the form apply for it now, don't need end of year statements
    Also, I havent availed of any medical care since i've been here.
    This doesn't matter

rightyabe wrote: »
    Is this possible, and where in the online ATO form would you fill it in? aslo would you need to have receipts, or as I buy my credit online would a bank statement do if I needed it?
    Cheers
    Yeah there is a other section. That's where I put it. You will need to have receipts and need to show them and any calculations you made if asked by the ATO. I assume a monthly bank statement would do, but ideally the receipt from your transaction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

cheers hussey, what section would you put it in if you can remember?

Section D5

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

i have had 2 jobs in Australia since arriving in november and for my first job which was the regional work i put down non-resident for tax purposes and for my current job which will end when the 6 months up i put down resident for tax purposes.
    Just wondering will i encounter any problems when filling out my tax form due to the two different tax brackets i had put down?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sjoyce87

Hey , do you guys know what the story is with a forklift course , I done one here and have the receipt . How does this work with doing your return online ?? And what section would it be

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

Useful thread this.

When applying for the Medicare Exemption, what docs do I need to submit? Is it just cerified copies of my passport pages? do they also want a printout of my 457 visa I have on email?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

Quick question. I am on a WHV, working since start of April, ive been availing of LAFHA since ive started, the payroll company who avails of the lafha for me are saying that I would be able to some sort of tax back but I just assumed as I only pay a small amount (1) I wouldn’t be entitled to anything and (2) if I were, it owuldnt be worth my while claiming it.
    Any one in the know on this one?

Quick question. I am on a WHV, working since start of April, ive been availing of LAFHA since ive started, the payroll company who avails of the lafha for me are saying that I would be able to some sort of tax back but I just assumed as I only pay a small amount (1) I wouldn’t be entitled to anything and (2) if I were, it owuldnt be worth my while claiming it.
    Any one in the know on this one?
    1) probably since you missed most of the working year. But no details given so we really don't know specifics
    2) if you were it is the law that you claim it. You need to fill a return out and if you are owed that will transfer money to account or post cheque.

• Advertisement

Wild Rover wrote: »
    When applying for the Medicare Exemption, what docs do I need to submit? Is it just cerified copies of my passport pages? do they also want a printout of my 457 visa I have on email?
    The form states what documents you need to send in. If your passport doesn't your visa label, I'm sure no harm in sending printed email

Advertisement