Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Bansai wrote: »
    Has anyone gone with taxback for their refund this year?

As Im back in Ireland since June I thought it would be easier (for me :rolleyes:) if I sent my info to taxback, biggest mistake!

I submitted my information to taxback on the 4th of July and it took them 8 days to submit it to the Australian Tax Office. (Not the 24 hours as they say on the website)

Anyway at first I was told I would receive the refund within 12 business days which would have been the 27th July. On the 28th of July I got an email saying they were expecting my refund on the 1st of August. Then on the 31st of July they said my refund had been delayed by a further 2 weeks.

This morning I got an email from them saying the ATO had stopped my return to review that all the details are correct and that there would be some delay in processing the refund.

Its turned into a complete joke now as its been 6 weeks since I originally sent them my information. Any time I try and contact them for some explanation for the delays they just blame the tax office.

Im thinking they have f***ed up somewhere on my submission and they aren't saying anything. Im gonna contact the tax office myself to try get some explanation.

I wish I'd just submitted the thing myself. Has anyone else suffered a delay in their return like me? :(

I can tell you what ATO will tell you, its takes up to 56 days to process a tax return. If taxback made a promise to get you a refund in 12 days they were talking out of their arse as they are in no position to offer such a guarantee. Essentially you pay them to submit a form for you, after it is submitted it as treated exactly the same as everyone else's I.e. It is subject to processing delay and may take up to 56 days to process.

I submitted my own tax return but called tax office after status moved to "more information required", lady said paper returns often take 6-8 weeks depending on when/where its submitted. Normally wouldn't be bothered but want to use refund for some flights home for Christmas so hoping it comes through soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Subber08

Hi,

I lodged a tax return back in 22nd December 2011, for the 2011/2012 year as I finished up work in December and went travelling in Oz until I returned home at the start of March. I went to an absolute rubbish agent who I have not been able to contact in months. Anyway, I earned approx. 11,500 working in one of my jobs from Sept to Dec, on which I paid just under 3,500 tax. I rang ATO countless times from then until I recieved payment at the start of May!!! (Still no reason as to why it took so long??)

Anyway, I expected to receive the majority of my tax back but only received 22 dollars! Eventually found out that was because my agent put me down as a non-resident instead of a resident for tax purposes. After some delay (My own fault) a sent in a letter for a tax amendment stating that my case and that I spoke to a lady in ATO office who asked me questions and verified that I should have been a resident for tax purposes. On a follow up call I was told my letter had been received on the 31st of July so it could take 56 days to process. So on the 24th of Sept there was still no word or sign of money, so I rang again. I was told I was put on the priority list (Like they said everytime I had rang for my original return) and I should have any money owed within 14 days (Oct 8th). Impatience got the better of me and I rang again on the 2nd, but was told the same, should be sorted within 14 days of priority issued. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me if I still have not received it by tomorrow?? Is there any point in me asking to speak to a superior? Or is there somewhere I can email to state my case. Has anyone else dealt with either of these kinds of delays? Just totally frustrated at the minute. Also unemployed and need the money!!!!

Also have had to keep my ANZ account open since March to receive payment, so that's 8months worth of the 5dollars they take out every month. Luckily I left enough money in it for a bit, but I now am just short of the 5 dollars and they are due to take it out around 20th of Oct, hope it is sorted by then!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Subber08 wrote: »
    Also have had to keep my ANZ account open since March to receive payment, so that's 8months worth of the 5dollars they take out every month. Luckily I left enough money in it for a bit, but I now am just short of the 5 dollars and they are due to take it out around 20th of Oct, hope it is sorted by then!!!!
    If you need to feed that account for a bit longer then using the likes of currencyfair would probably be the cheapest option.

Thanks for that, will look into it now. Just worried I am going to be waiting 18 weeks again this time round. Nearly on 10 weeks at this stage!

• Advertisement

Sadly still no sign of anything happening and the people at ATO a minus help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Submitted my tax return through eTax 28 days ago and still have not received it. Today I got the following email. WTF!

We are writing to let you know that your 2012 Income tax return has been delayed.

You don't need to do anything at this time. We will contact you if anything changes or we need further information. We appreciate your patience in this matter.

Why tax returns may be delayed

Your return may be delayed for a number of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are:
    you may have recently lodged returns for previous years, either by themselves or with the current year's tax return
    you may currently have a debt with us
    we need to check information with other Australian Government agencies such as Centrelink or Child Support Program.

I don't see how any of those reasons apply to me.

Has anybody else had their tax return delayed?

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Submitted my tax return through eTax 28 days ago and still have not received it. Today I got the following email. WTF!

We are writing to let you know that your 2012 Income tax return has been delayed.

You don't need to do anything at this time. We will contact you if anything changes or we need further information. We appreciate your patience in this matter.

Why tax returns may be delayed

Your return may be delayed for a number of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are:
    you may have recently lodged returns for previous years, either by themselves or with the current year's tax return
    you may currently have a debt with us
    we need to check information with other Australian Government agencies such as Centrelink or Child Support Program.

I don't see how any of those reasons apply to me.

Has anybody else had their tax return delayed?

Almost 3 months now and still no clear explanation except "it requires some manual processing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Almost 3 months now and still no clear explanation except "it requires some manual processing".

3 months? That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Last year I got my money within a week and a half. Bizarre how they are taking so long. It's not like there's much in my tax return. Just my gross income from the jobs I worked, the small bit of interest I got from my savings account, the fact I am Medicare levy exempt and details of my private insurance! How does it take so long to process that??

Pisco Sour wrote: »

3 months? That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Last year I got my money within a week and a half. Bizarre how they are taking so long. It's not like there's much in my tax return. Just my gross income from the jobs I worked, the small bit of interest I got from my savings account, the fact I am Medicare levy exempt and details of my private insurance! How does it take so long to process that??

If it all goes through electronically you can get it in week but when I hear manual and an actual public servant gets their inefficient arse involved I know it's not going to be quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Qwert1

I've been in Australia for about 5 months. I worked for 1 weekend in the last tax year and my total taxable income was about 150 dollars. I was hoping I wouldn't have to bother filing a tax return given the insignificance of this amount and the length of time working. I've been working full time for another company the last 4 months or so so obviously I'll want to file a tax return next year to reclaim any tax refund I might be owed. Will the fact that I didn't file a return for the year before on the 150 dollars impede me in any way from filing my taxes next year? Any help would be much appreciate. Thanks.

Well at least you got an email from them and know that yours is been looked into. I'm sick to death of ringing them, nobody can tell me what the hold up is with mine or how long it will take! They received my amendment nearly 12 weeks ago now, so much for 56 days!!! :confused:

Originally tax return took 19 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

have left it very late this year

on e-tax they seem to have changed the questions re the medicare exemption. Does anyone know if you dont have private healthcare cover that you must pay the medicare levy even if you are entitled to it as an Irish resident?

Also home office, seems to be pretty clear from the ATO this year that you cant claim for a home office if you live in the same city as your employer's base. I've claimed a part of my rent for the last 2 years as I work from home a lot. Might be caught out this year.

Also re all the prep costs for PR visa - medicals, skills assessment, security checks etc - tax deductible? skills assessment application fee should be you would think, an argument maybe could be made for the rest, cant find anything definite on the ATO website about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

If you're not entitled to Medicare you can claim it back regardless of any other healthcare.

Took almost 3 months to get my exemption certificate. Got my tax back last week. Was great! Just shy of a months wages after tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ali-d1936

IM trying to do my tax return now, i realise how late i have left it, I tryed to apply through taxback.com but they are saying that im too late for the 2012 year, i thought the dealine was the end of the month.

ali-d1936 wrote: »
    IM trying to do my tax return now, i realise how late i have left it, I tryed to apply through taxback.com but they are saying that im too late for the 2012 year, i thought the dealine was the end of the month.

It is. Download the etax application and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ali-d1936 wrote: »
    Use a tax accountant that charge a fixed fee rather than a % much better for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

Still waiting on my Medicare Levy Exemption cert before I submit my claim...I'm beginning to think it may have been lost in the post (been 2 months at least).

Praying I don't have to redo the certified copies of my passport. I guess I should call Medicare?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 natter85

You can submit your return without the Medicare Cert - that is only needed if the ATO decide to audit you. If that happens (slim chance) just get back onto Medicare then for your cert. Wouldn't be an issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

natter85 wrote: »
    You can submit your return without the Medicare Cert - that is only needed if the ATO decide to audit you. If that happens (slim chance) just get back onto Medicare then for your cert. Wouldn't be an issue :)

This is correct. See post 14 & 15 here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I was trying to claim tax back for the end of the 2012 tax year, I worked Jan - Jun 2012. It's my first time trying to lodge a tax return.

I tried filling in the etax form, and I couldn't process it as there kept popping up some security error. I rang and got told I couldn't lodge the return electronically as it's my first time and there was an issue that could only be resolved with me calling into centrelink. They couldn't tell me what the issue was over the phone and said I'd have to book an appointment to get it resolved. I was so annoyed and told them I hadn't time to call into centrelink.

3 months on and I need the tax back now, I'm gonna have to ring and book an appointment and call into centrelink, has this happened to anyone before, seems really bizarre as I've only been working part time hours, earning about $450 and taking home $330?

Esse85 wrote: »
    I was trying to claim tax back for the end of the 2012 tax year, I worked Jan - Jun 2012. It's my first time trying to lodge a tax return.

I tried filling in the etax form, and I couldn't process it as there kept popping up some security error. I rang and got told I couldn't lodge the return electronically as it's my first time and there was an issue that could only be resolved with me calling into centrelink. They couldn't tell me what the issue was over the phone and said I'd have to book an appointment to get it resolved. I was so annoyed and told them I hadn't time to call into centrelink.

3 months on and I need the tax back now, I'm gonna have to ring and book an appointment and call into centrelink, has this happened to anyone before, seems really bizarre as I've only been working part time hours, earning about $450 and taking home $330?

Centrelink is the equivalent of Irish Dept. of Social Welfare, so have no idea why they'd ask you to book an appointment there.

Is the issue related to just submitting online, or to submitting a tax return in general?

Centrelink is the equivalent of Irish Dept. of Social Welfare, so have no idea why they'd ask you to book an appointment there.

Is the issue related to just submitting online, or to submitting a tax return in general?
    I did visit centrelink in my first few months here and register with them but I never got any assistance from them. Really strange.

Also does anyone know is it possible to not get taxed it your only working about 20 hours per week? I'm still getting hit about 30% on say $450 a week and therefore only coming out with about $300?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I did visit centrelink in my first few months here and register with them but I never got any assistance from them. Really strange.

Also does anyone know is it possible to not get taxed it your only working about 20 hours per week? I'm still getting hit about 30% on say $450 a week and therefore only coming out with about $300?
    Sounds like you checked "not a resident for tax purposes" and are getting taxed at 31%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Why did you register at centrelink? and why do you think that's strange that you didn't get any assistance?

$450 per week you should be only paying $19 in tax.

Mellor wrote: »
    Sounds like you checked "not a resident for tax purposes" and are getting taxed at 31%
    I definitely ticked the box saying I am a resident for tax purposes, because i made that mistake before, will have to check my wage slip.

By registering with centrelink, it allowed me to use this job assistance place across the road where could use the internet for free, print cv's for free and use the telephone to make calls regarding employment.

The whole situation is strange. I know I'm not entitled to anything from centrelink.

Thanks for that info.

How do you print off the etax form if you don't have access to a printer?

Can you do it from an internet cafe/work or does the pc your using need to have the e-tax software installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

How do you print off the etax form if you don't have access to a printer?

Can you do it from an internet cafe/work or does the pc your using need to have the e-tax software installed?

you need to install it, you would need admin rights

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    you need to install it, you would need admin rights
    I was onto a woman from the tax dept today, I asked had I any other alternative other than printing it as I don't have a printer and told her that if I went to an internet cafe that the etax software would need to be installed on their system, she said I can fill it in manually, do I need to get anyone to sign it then or can I just send it in when I have it completed.

Also does anyone know what percentage I'll be deducted for handing in a late application?

Advertisement