Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Ray, have you seen the band have announced a date in June at a festival in Manchester and they say this is the first date of a series of appearances at European festivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Yeah I saw that. I'm a bit long in the tooth for festivals , but that Manchester one looks like its a City Center vibe .... might give it a go 👍️

Ray I would be of the same opinion, but I look forward to seeing what festivals they play. Can't imagine they will have the same stage show either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very disappointed not to be at the show tonight (or any of the shows tbh). Really hope to make it to one next summer.

Incredible night in London, the band played just short of 3hrs. Venue was full, sound was excellent and very little use of phones/cameras as the band had requested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

I was there too. Only discovered them in 2012 during the hiatus so simply had to make the trip over knowing there mightn't be another opportunity as they may well choose 'closure' over 'continuation'.

Particularly happy to hear Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It is Recycled, Buying New Soul, Drown With Me, and I Drive The Hearse.

Found the sound mix a bit muddy early on but I think it improved over the course of the gig.

Randy McStine did a good job with the high-octave backing vocals, a sensible replacement for John Wesley. I've heard a bit of his music before and enjoyed it (Gavin played as a session drummer on the track I'm familiar with).

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Have to add this: I do think it it is a shame what happened with Colin after hearing his side of the story.

It does sound like he was kept in the dark throughout the entire hiatus, whilst Steven was jamming new material with the other members, particularly Gavin. Steven's excuse of him writing the bass parts without Colin as a means to justify his exclusion doesn't really stack up for me. It wasn't going to be Steven playing them live and he's always been the main songwriter anyway. Colin wasn't even offered the chance of getting back in the band on those terms, even if more excluded from the creative process. I think Colin deserved more respect as a long-term member of the band.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

From the start I found the silence around Colin's absence weird. In some interviews/articles they were referred to as a trio, which was never the case. When Steve eventually addressed it, it didn't strike me as the full story.

Ultimately it's Steven's band, but I agree it's pretty disrespectful.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Great interview with SW & Rick Beato which I'll pop here if anyone missed it, or is interested in watching.

Being honest: I'm a huge PT fan but I've long thought SW is a bit of a twat, and undoubtedly difficult to work with, but this interview gives great insight into what makes him tick.

I still think he's a twat though, but maybe just not as much... 😋

Advertisement