Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbally abusive manic Mayor?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

leakyboots wrote: »
    Why do both of ye say this?

Why do we say it's a ****e newsperpaper? Thought that was kind of obvious. Was this something the mayor was asked about, or was it a formal proposal? I suspect (though I don't know) he was asked about his views on immigration and made some remark that he thought immigrants should be made welcome (in contrast to the previous mayor), and the conversation led to him saying that perhaps we could have some signage in other languages. Obviously he betrayed his own ignorance in the course of the conversation, but I'd be surprised is the Leader wasn't fishing for something like this in order to create some kind of sensational story that would sell newspapers. That's a cheap tactic and basically ****e journalism. If this was a formal proposal from the mayor, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

zulutango wrote: »
    Why do we say it's a ****e newsperpaper? Thought that was kind of obvious. Was this something the mayor was asked about, or was it a formal proposal? I suspect (though I don't know) he was asked about his views on immigration and made some remark that he thought immigrants should be made welcome (in contrast to the previous mayor), and the conversation led to him saying that perhaps we could have some signage in other languages. Obviously he betrayed his own ignorance in the course of the conversation, but I'd be surprised is the Leader wasn't fishing for something like this in order to create some kind of sensational story that would sell newspapers. That's a cheap tactic and basically ****e journalism. If this was a formal proposal from the mayor, I stand corrected.

The mayor went on local radio to speak about his street sign idea as well, so I think people can be pretty certain that it is his brainchild and not words being put into his mouth by a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

leakyboots wrote: »
    Why do both of ye say this?
    because it is the truth, does it hurt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

ginger is a teacher
    kenny is a teacher
    noonan also
    one of the hayeses taught
    howlin is/was a teacher
    the problem is teachers by their training will expect to be correct all the time, if one does not agree with them then you are out, more mindboggling is they have the difference in pay between their wages and the person who subs for them, now is the person that is subbing for ginger only parrt time until the public says ginger feck off to school for your self, on to of the they will also have a teachers pension, meanwhile we have to scrape for a living, while they dream up more charges to keep joe soap shafted.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The mayor went on local radio to speak about his street sign idea as well, so I think people can be pretty certain that it is his brainchild and not words being put into his mouth by a paper.

I sincerely doubt it. It's more than likely he was asked about it and had to follow through. He should have dropped it or deflected the discussion, but I've no doubt this is a media storm more than anything.

• Advertisement

I sincerely doubt it. It's more than likely he was asked about it and had to follow through. He should have dropped it or deflected the discussion, but I've no doubt this is a media storm more than anything.

If you are correct then it means that the current mayor is either unable to think for himself or is of such weak character that he is unable to say that the idea printed in the paper was not actually what he meant or said. Guess your version means he might be even more of a village idiot type than the paper interview made him appear or that some in this thread seem to be saying he is with the little nicknames they have for him.

Funny thing is that the radio interview sounded a lot like a man who believed in what he was saying and a lot like a man who did not just have the idea thrust upon himby some evil journo.

If you are correct then it means that the current mayor is either unable to think for himself or is of such weak character that he is unable to say that the idea printed in the paper was not actually what he meant or said. Guess your version means he might be even more of a village idiot type than the paper interview made him appear or that some in this thread seem to be saying he is with the little nicknames they have for him.

Funny thing is that the radio interview sounded a lot like a man who believed in what he was saying and a lot like a man who did not just have the idea thrust upon himby some evil journo.

I don't think he should be mayor, let alone on the council. We have Fine Gael and Labour to thank for that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

flutered wrote: »
    the problem is teachers by their training will expect to be correct all the time, if one does not agree with them then you are out

That might be true for some teachers of his generation, but the man taught my father in the 70s without ever having picked up a recognised teaching qualification.

Current teacher training (as much as I hated doing it) is far more progressive and actually encourages teachers to admit when they don't know an answer. Just to be fair to the lecturers behind the scenes. :)

I don't think he should be mayor, let alone on the council. We have Fine Gael and Labour to thank for that.

Would agree with you on that, but I think I can safely say that he is in keeping with the standard of mayor that Limerick seems to have been producing for the last decade or so, with maybe one or two exceptions.

Would agree with you on that, but I think I can safely say that he is in keeping with the standard of mayor that Limerick seems to have been producing for the last decade or so, with maybe one or two exceptions.

Yep, they've mostly been god-awful, and that's pretty much down to the knuckle draggers in Fine Gael as they've had control of the council since around 1999. Michael Noonan has made sure that the most brain dead and illiterate of gombeens has got elected to the council so that he'll never be challenged. Diarmuid Scully is possibly the only exception in Fine Gael. Labour and Jan O'Sullivan are little better. The two McLoughlin's should never be next or near the city council.

• Advertisement
Advertisement