Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbally abusive manic Mayor?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think concerts are different though as they are more of a disturbance with noise levels etc...were as what sports get played in a venue should be purely up to the people investing in the ground. Up to recently and before limerick secured the ground with JPs help limerick were basically left to themselves to secure the move back with no help. Just seems like people (politicans mainly) are jumping on board now and without financial backing should be told were to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Jofspring wrote: »
    I think concerts are different though as they are more of a disturbance with noise levels etc...were as what sports get played in a venue should be purely up to the people investing in the ground. Up to recently and before limerick secured the ground with JPs help limerick were basically left to themselves to secure the move back with no help. Just seems like people (politicans mainly) are jumping on board now and without financial backing should be told were to go.

Depends, you'd think there's more votes in getting Limerick FC back in there than objecting but you never know.

Ultimately it comes down to funding, JP isn't going to be forced to do something he doesn't want to do, whether it's a community centre, athletics track or velodrome but if Government money is being used it should be a stadium for everyone, not just football and rugby (since the pitch will probably be too small for GAA games).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Did anyone else think of the C64 game "Manic Miner" when they first saw the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

zulutango wrote: »
    That is absolute bollox. As with any development anywhere in the world, ALL the stakeholders should be involved in the debate and ultimately the decision as to what goes there. The stakeholders include the local residents, the council and others, as well as the developers.

There is a world of a difference between objections or debate based on issues such as crowd congestion, noise, traffic problems, size of the building etc, and a local councillor saying (on behalf of a community?) that he'll make trouble for the investors if they don't do what he wants.

Objections to a proposed building don't extend to the power to base an objection on the fact a plan doesn't contain all the facilities everybody would like.

As mentioned, if public money is involved, things take on a different perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

jbkenn wrote: »
    Jesus wept, and we thought we could'nt get a bigger gob****e than Jim Il Long, we did'nt call him the "bungalow" at school without good reason, how much will it cost us to send him to the Willie Clancy summer school this year?.
    I give up...

You're wrong there mate.....the "Bungalow" was his brother Mick (and his other brother Pat was the "Basement"). Ginger taught me commerce in Sexton's St. - he could hardly string a single coherent sentence of English together back then and I reckon nothing much has changed in the interim. Long before the current recession started to hurt the pub trade, he managed to get into serious financial difficulties runnning the "Triple Crown" pub in Limerick (this from a guy who studied business to qualify as a secondary teacher). Just the sort of first citizen the city needs!!!

As for the suggestion from some posters that we should have directly-elected mayors let me say one name: Councilor Mikey Kelly......remember him? Scumbag and criminal and also elected to the city council by the good citizens of Limerick....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...Councilor Mikey Kelly......remember him? Scumbag and criminal and also elected to the city council by the good citizens of Limerick....

Probably 'cos he got things done ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

........As for the suggestion from some posters that we should have directly-elected mayors let me say one name: Councilor Mikey Kelly......remember him? Scumbag and criminal and also elected to the city council by the good citizens of Limerick....

I hear your concern there, but although that "campaign" involved supporters of that soon-to-be-Alderman sitting menacingly on the wall outside the O'Mallley Park polling station, gently reminding voters that their presence was being noted -a shameful incident for sure - hard to see such a scenario replicated city-wide by any possible successor of that vein........even vein dumdum ;)

But if the good citizens of Southill felt intimidated or not by the Kellys', neither were they feeling positive about the lazy-arsed established politicians who created the crowded, badly planned disastrous schemes that encompassed Southill (and laterallly Moyross) rather than seek a city boundary extension and build separated, modestly sized housing estates. So, understandable too if they preferred a real "local boy" crook to people who, at best, held the populace with contempt. Hobsons' choice and all that.

Also, the current system of Mayoral Election surely lends itself to seeing a "scumbag" councillor being elected first citizen. Far easier to have a word in the ears of a few frightened councillors than face an electorate of (when city and county unite) some 100,000 people.

Finally, and to the best of my knowledge, it's not a 'suggestion by posters' here that we have a directly elected mayor but rather that it will be happening in 2014 following change to the relevant Local Government Acts. Must check that out but I'm pretty certain of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭adaminho

jbkenn wrote: »
    Cos the goodly people of Garryowen are "entitled" thas why, right, if the folks in Garryowen want a Community Centre, here's a suggestion, raise the money yourselves, otherwise, STF up

Jbkenn I'm a resident of Garryowen all my life, first in St.Laurences park and now Rossa avenue. The only person from Garryowen that demanded a community centre is a certain mayor! He thinks it's more important that Munster should have a training base in Limerick than people in his own ward should have one! I don't know where you live in the city but I can guarantee you have a community centre , do you know why? Cause Garryowen is the only one without one!

Do I want a community centre, hell yes! Should Limerick F.C. Have to pay for it? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I agree with most of what your are saying adaminho but I live on the Ennis road side of town and there is no community centre that I am aware of for Mayorstone, Clareview, North Circular Road, Ashbrook, Clonmacken or any of the houses on the main Ennis road. Not sure about other parts of the city. Caherdavin has one but that is well into Caherdavin and is only useful for the people of that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Probably 'cos he got things done ;);)

Yeah, vote for me or else! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Mikey Kelly was a bit innocent when he was elected, he taught that the other councillors were dignitries,people with high morals and ethics.
    Soon after Mikey realised that only a couple of councillors had any ethics and that most were corrupt to the bone.
    This was a new breed of criminal to Mikey. This new breed had no morals, these new breed were not ordinary decent criminals.
    Mikey meet real greed. Mikey meet not the hard up criminal who was trying to survive but people who had it good and would step on one another just to get ahead. Mikey for the first time in his life met real corruption.
    This is part of what drove him to depression and what drove him to kill himself. Please no assh*le questions.

Mikey Kelly was a bit innocent when he was elected, he taught that the other councillors were dignitries,people with high morals and ethics.
    Soon after Mikey realised that only a couple of councillors had any ethics and that most were corrupt to the bone.
    This was a new breed of criminal to Mikey. This new breed had no morals, these new breed were not ordinary decent criminals.
    Mikey meet real greed. Mikey meet not the hard up criminal who was trying to survive but people who had it good and would step on one another just to get ahead. Mikey for the first time in his life met real corruption.
    This is part of what drove him to depression and what drove him to kill himself. Please no assh*le questions.

Jesus.......is that you Anthony?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭geotrig

Raiser wrote: »
    All thanks to the wisdom of the lowbrow might of Fine Gael combined with The Green Party, sorry, Labour coming together in a voting pact it seems.

The mind boggles.

Link to 'rigged' 'controlled' election story.

Link to newspaper account of respected rugby referee George Clancy being chased, intimidated and verbally abused in the worst possible manner by our magnificent new Mayor, can't wait to see how he gets on :(

FFS - As if Limerick couldn't get any worse.

* The above sentiment constitutes my own opinion based on accounts of the past form and behaviour of this individual as published in the national media.
    You're wrong there mate.....the "Bungalow" was his brother Mick (and his other brother Pat was the "Basement"). Ginger taught me commerce in Sexton's St. - he could hardly string a single coherent sentence of English together back then and I reckon nothing much has changed in the interim. Long before the current recession started to hurt the pub trade, he managed to get into serious financial difficulties runnning the "Triple Crown" pub in Limerick (this from a guy who studied business to qualify as a secondary teacher). Just the sort of first citizen the city needs!!!

As for the suggestion from some posters that we should have directly-elected mayors let me say one name: Councilor Mikey Kelly......remember him? Scumbag and criminal and also elected to the city council by the good citizens of Limerick....

jesus i' only saw in the paper that he was elected mayor and couldnt believe it i thought it was bad enough when he got elected locally .

things like this get you worried whats in store for the city over time and batters any faith you may have had in politics :rolleyes:

they really would want to start putting some restrictions "guide lines" on who can run for local and general elections

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

How can there be such thing as a decent criminal? A decent person is someone who does not commit criminal acts.

No such thing as a decent criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Kess73 wrote: »
    How can there be such thing as a decent criminal? A decent person is someone who does not commit criminal acts.

No such thing as a decent criminal.

You are right Kess, there is really no such thing as an ordinary decent criminal. I just put it in for contrast sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm only seeing now for the first time that they elected Ginger "I hate people from the county" McLoughlin. Hard to know whether to laugh or cry, the people of the city deserve better than this bigot. An immensely backward step.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

grenache wrote: »
    I'm only seeing now for the first time that they elected Ginger "I hate people from the county" McLoughlin. Hard to know whether to laugh or cry, the people of the city deserve better than this bigot. An immensely backward step.

I don't think he's a bigot. That comment was a silly, off the cuff remark but it wasn't bigotry. Certainly, the last few Fine Gael mayors were far, far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

grenache wrote: »

did he not have a girlfriend from galbaly, now thats as far out in the country as one can travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/mayor-of-limerick-wants-polish-street-signs-1-4011509?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

N A bid to make non-Irish nationals feel more at home, Mayor Gerry McLoughlin wants to see the city’s street signs in Polish - and “African”.

At present, all street signs across Ireland are displayed in English, then Irish.

But the new mayor wants to see Limerick go a step further - and embrace its sizeable population from Europe and Africa by including further translations.

“I am passionate about bringing everyone together. I was an immigrant myself: I have family abroad still in Wales and Australia so I understand what it is like. We have thousands of Poles and other foreign nationals here,” he explained, “I would like to see some Polish and African signs going up,” he said in an interview with the Limerick Leader.

Polish translations for some of the city centre streets include Ulica O’Connell (O’Connell Street), Ulica Re jsy (Cruises Street) and Półksiezyc (The Crescent).

It would not be the first time the Polish language has been thought of as official signage in Ireland: in 2006, Laois County Council sought to include Polish on road signs to reduce the number of fatalities.

But it would be the first time signs in an urbanised area would be translated.

Magdalena Kakol, who comes from near Gdansk, welcomed the idea.

“One of my friends has been living here for more than one year and she still has a problem with the street signs. So I think this would be really good for us. It would also help a lot of tourists: my sister is coming here for two weeks later this summer, so I can ask her to meet me in different places, and she will understand,” said Magdalena, who works in Spar, Catherine Street.

In addition to this, Mayor McLoughlin also wants to see a forum for non-nationals.

“We have a lot to learn from them. They are also citizens of our city, so let’s embrace them. They came here as asylum seekers, they are now part of Limerick,” he said.

City manager Kieran Lehane said any change in Limerick’s street signs would need to come in the form of a motion to the council’s transportation and infrastructure meeting.

It would then be investigated by the city council’s roads department.

Chairman of the transport committee, Cllr Ger Fahy cautiously welcomed the idea.

He said: “In principle, I think we should look at issues which promote the city from a national and European point of view. We do have a sizeable population of Polish people, and this should be taken into consideration. But before any decision is made, we have to look at the wider situation: if we agree to extend our signs to different language, we have to ensure it does not get out of hand.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

More brainless mumblings! I think it would be a waste of resources. Must people speak English and signs are english and Irish, so I dont see where the problem lies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

What an unashamed waste of money that would be, and won't someone please think of the postman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

He does know there's no "African"? It's like saying he wants street signs in European

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

If its for Polish tourists, then surely the signs should be in French too, as well as German, Spanish etc.

And if the signs are for Polish immigrants, surely the pre-requisite grasp of our language would mean that most of them should be able to read our current signs as they are.

A pointless exercise in other words. And yeah LOL at "African". If he wants to include all African dialects on those signs he should knock himself out!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Way to go, Ginger, and we thought we could not get a bigger fool than Jim Il Long.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The above sounds like a total set up by the Limerick Leader, to be fair. ****e paper.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Article written by Nick Rabbits, the same journalist who wrote the article in April about the mother of 4 who wanted a larger house before her fifth kid was born. Funnily enough, he wasn't impressed when I told him the Limerick Leader was the same standard as the Daily Mail...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

Article written by Nick Rabbits, the same journalist who wrote the article in April about the mother of 4 who wanted a larger house before her fifth kid was born. Funnily enough, he wasn't impressed when I told him the Limerick Leader was the same standard as the Daily Mail...
    you are wrong, it sinks even lower, that says something.

Ginger's kitte-flying exercise about including Polish and African street names is getting him some publicity. In a shop on Leeson St Dublin this lunchtime I heard one of the local radio stations mention it in their main lunchtime news programme.

They also had a 30 second clip of Ginger explaining his rationale for this proposal. Only problem was he might as well have been speaking Polish for all anyone outside Limerick could understand him.....i had to translate for a few of the lads that were with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

That's ridiculous re translating street names - names are names - if my name is James and I go to Spain I don't suddenly become Diego!! Same for place names.
    Also I think if someone goes to a country it's up to them to learn the language and that will help them integrate faster. This country is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, I could think of a million better things to spend money on than this very stupid proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

flutered wrote: »
    you are wrong, it sinks even lower, that says something.

Why do both of ye say this?

Advertisement