Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbally abusive manic Mayor?

Options
  • 26-06-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

All thanks to the wisdom of the lowbrow might of Fine Gael combined with The Green Party, sorry, Labour coming together in a voting pact it seems.

The mind boggles.

Link to 'rigged' 'controlled' election story.

Link to newspaper account of respected rugby referee George Clancy being chased, intimidated and verbally abused in the worst possible manner by our magnificent new Mayor, can't wait to see how he gets on :(

FFS - As if Limerick couldn't get any worse.

* The above sentiment constitutes my own opinion based on accounts of the past form and behaviour of this individual as published in the national media.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    All thanks to the wisdom of the lowbrow might of Fine Gael combined with The Green Party, sorry, Labour coming together in a voting pact it seems.

The mind boggles.

Link to newspaper account of respected rugby referee George Clancy being chased, intimidated and verbally abused in the worst possible manner by our magnificent new Mayor, can't wait to see how he gets on :(

* The above sentiment constitutes my own opinion based on accounts of the past form and behaviour of this individual as published in the national media.

Could have been worse, it could have been a mayor who claimed travel expenses for a car that was not even on the road, and when he was caught he claimed it was a mistake. Then it came out that he had been claiming expenses for the same non car from other sources as well. So not only did a man who was claiming expenses that he should not have been managed to keep his high paying job, he was actually in the running for the role of mayor.

The role of mayor is nothing more than a joke position now, albeit a joke position that sees a fat cat get even fatter. The various political cartels that make deals to decide years in advance as to which of their cronies get to be mayor are sickening tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

The sooner we get a directly elected mayor the better. Did I read somewhere that that'll be brought in the next few years?

Edited to add: Found it! 2014 is the year pencilled in for a directly elected mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

I saw it in the papers this morning and thought to myself , he taught me in school and I never thought he would amount to anything .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

He also referred to us country folk as "bumpkins" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The sooner we get a directly elected mayor the better. Did I read somewhere that that'll be brought in the next few years?

Edited to add: Found it! 2014 is the year pencilled in for a directly elected mayor.

How do you know that the poeple of Limerick wouldn't vote in an even worse gob****e if we had a directly elected mayor? The likes of Kiely and Long were all put there by the electorate of Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

zulutango wrote: »
    How do you know that the poeple of Limerick wouldn't vote in an even worse gob****e if we had a directly elected mayor? The likes of Kiely and Long were all put there by the electorate of Limerick.

True, that could happen but at least with a directly elected mayor the whole city would get a say. Kiely and Long were elected by people in their wards and not the entire city. I'm by no means saying anything bad about the voters in those wards, I don't even know which wards they represent tbh.

Having said that I am in our new mayors ward and didn't vote for him in the last local election :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Only 300 or so voted for Long, however and at times our S.T.V. system can f*ck up and in this case it saw Jimbo gain enough transfers to make City Hall.

(luckily for us, look at all those jobs he brought to the city after his two trips to Chineeland! :) )

After that it became the usual carve up with the "club" doing what they always do....give each other the plum job and very handy pay packet for a year of playing mayor.

One would hope that a directly elected mayor would at least throw up a better calibre of candidate, preferably from outside the political mainstream and far away from the Kiely/Long/Kennedy/Leddin/Locky et al shower.

Ed Walsh maybe (just a first thought there, feel free to "nominate" others)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

What does the mayor actually have power to do? or is it just another overpaid figure head that we don't really need?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What does the mayor actually have power to do? or is it just another overpaid figure head that we don't really need?

Yes, currently that's exactly what the mayor is. The only difference between the mayor and a councillor is that the mayor chairs the council meetings, gets his picture taken a lot and gets a larger salary. The city manager is the person who really runs the city and is the only one with executive powers. He has the ability to suspend or disolve the council and run the city directly himself.
    AFAIK when we get a directly elected mayor then the mayoral role will take some of those executive powers from the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

And his first priority is to secure Munster's training ground in Limerick, so the rugby player puts rugby as his priority, nothing about local business, antisocial behaviour, opera centre.
    Would it be too much to ask for our wheeler dealer local politicians to actually come up with a plan to help the city when they know a few years in advance they are going to be mayor
    http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/limerick-mayor-wants-munster-training-ground-in-limerick/e552b2fd-efb4-4299-b5cb-675e0b69d51d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Not only that but he was one of the ones sticking his nose in about the re development of the markets field. Can see him making life difficult for limerick fc but hope I'm wrong.

Munster Rugby training in Limerick should be none of his business in my opinion and it seems like he just thinks it will get on people's good side for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

kilburn wrote: »
    And his first priority is to secure Munster's training ground in Limerick, so the rugby player puts rugby as his priority, nothing about local business, antisocial behaviour, opera centre.
    Would it be too much to ask for our wheeler dealer local politicians to actually come up with a plan to help the city when they know a few years in advance they are going to be mayor
    http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/limerick-mayor-wants-munster-training-ground-in-limerick/e552b2fd-efb4-4299-b5cb-675e0b69d51d

That priority is better and more realistic than at least half the stuff previous mayors have targeted.

Don't know the full story about the Markets Field, what's the latest?

That priority is better and more realistic than at least half the stuff previous mayors have targeted.

Don't know the full story about the Markets Field, what's the latest?

Just that certain councillors have said they will make life difficult for Limerick if they do not get let in on the plans and that a community centre should be built by Limerick FC for the people of Garryowen. Basically the usual heads sticking their noses in were it doesn't belong to try get their faces in the paper. Hopefully they get told where to go so the project can get a move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »

Yes it would be too much to ask. Unfortunately.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Just that certain councillors have said they will make life difficult for Limerick if they do not get let in on the plans and that a community centre should be built by Limerick FC for the people of Garryowen. Basically the usual heads sticking their noses in were it doesn't belong to try get their faces in the paper. Hopefully they get told where to go so the project can get a move on.

What's wrong with a community centre?

Thought JP was keeping ownership anyhow, with Limerick FC given a lease?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why should Limerick FC have to pay to build one?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Cos the goodly people of Garryowen are "entitled" thas why, right, if the folks in Garryowen want a Community Centre, here's a suggestion, raise the money yourselves, otherwise, STF up

Thought JP was keeping ownership anyhow, with Limerick FC given a lease?

The LEDP will own it so it is kept in trust and can't be sold off or re-morgated by the club or anyone else, which is the best way to have it in my eyes. On paper it will be leased to Limerick FC but basically it is theirs to use as well as other sporting codes if needs be.

No reason a football club should be building a public amenity like that when its the council/goverments job. Its like asking Munster RFC to build the people of Ballynanty a community centre or similar.

Limerick have stated before though that they would allow the Markets Field to be used as a community centre for the locals.

jbkenn wrote: »
    Cos the goodly people of Garryowen are "entitled" thas why, right, if the folks in Garryowen want a Community Centre, here's a suggestion, raise the money yourselves, otherwise, STF up

Funny thing here is it seems the people of Garryowen want the council to build them a local centre but the council think they see an opportunity to pawn it off on Limerick FC instead of doing their own jobs. The people of Garryowen (as of yet) haven't actually demanded anything of Limerick FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Raiser wrote: »

The mind boggles.

Jesus wept, and we thought we could'nt get a bigger gob****e than Jim Il Long, we did'nt call him the "bungalow" at school without good reason, how much will it cost us to send him to the Willie Clancy summer school this year?.
    I give up...

• Advertisement

What are Limerick FC actually paying for? Who's financing the rebuild? Will there be grant money? Etc.

Can't see how any LOI team could afford to rebuild a stadium going on their gate receipts and sponsorship, let alone one who struggle to sell out Jackman park.

I'd love to see the Markets Field rebuilt as a multisport arena, athletics track etc. There should be space there for it. Personally, I'd prefer that to having the pitch moved and a community centre built but I can understand people wanting some debate as to what is the best use of the facility for the city, not simply the use that suits Limerick FC the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

but I can understand people wanting some debate as to what is the best use of the facility for the city, not simply the use that suits Limerick FC the best.

The only debate on the issue should come from the group(s) paying for it.

Only those financially contributing towards it should have any say in what facilities should be there.

I don't have any idea on whether grant money will be available.

What are Limerick FC actually paying for? Who's financing the rebuild? Will there be grant money? Etc.

Can't see how any LOI team could afford to rebuild a stadium going on their gate receipts and sponsorship, let alone one who struggle to sell out Jackman park.

I'd love to see the Markets Field rebuilt as a multisport arena, athletics track etc. There should be space there for it. Personally, I'd prefer that to having the pitch moved and a community centre built but I can understand people wanting some debate as to what is the best use of the facility for the city, not simply the use that suits Limerick FC the best.

Pat O Sullivan(Limerick FC owner) and JP McManus to the best of everyone's knowledge are the ones paying for the redevelopment. Don't know about grant money but there hasn't been any mention anywhere about grants. It will be a multisport venue just not for athletics. Personally I hate football/rugby grounds with running tracks around them.

The best use for the facility will be primarily a football ground as the city doesn't have a proper football venue. We have a rugby stadium, GAA stadium and athletic facilities in UL but the only main football ground in Limerick is Jackman Park. We are the only major city in Ireland without a a decent home for football i.e Tallaght Stadium (Dublin), RSC (Waterford), Turners Cross (Cork), Terryland Park (Galway), Showgrounds (Sligo) and even some smaller towns like Athlone Town Stadium and Flancare Park (Longford) have decent grounds.

osarusan wrote: »

Only those financially contributing towards it should have any say in what facilities should be there.

I don't have any idea on whether grant money will be available.

Not really, the planning process is designed to take in feedback from locals, interested parties etc.

If we left all planning up to those who were paying for it we'd have no need for any planning controls at all.

Not really, the planning process is designed to take in feedback from locals, interested parties etc.

If we left all planning up to those who were paying for it we'd have no need for any planning controls at all.

At the same time though locals etc... Had no say in the redevelopment of the Gaelic Grounds or Thomond Pak so don't see why this situation should be different.

Pat O Sullivan(Limerick FC owner) and JP McManus to the best of everyone's knowledge are the ones paying for the redevelopment. Don't know about grant money but there hasn't been any mention anywhere about grants. It will be a multisport venue just not for athletics. Personally I hate football/rugby grounds with running tracks around them.

The best use for the facility will be primarily a football ground as the city doesn't have a proper football venue. We have a rugby stadium, GAA stadium and athletic facilities in UL but the only main football ground in Limerick is Jackman Park. We are the only major city in Ireland without a a decent home for football i.e Tallaght Stadium (Dublin), RSC (Waterford), Turners Cross (Cork), Terryland Park (Galway), Showgrounds (Sligo) and even some smaller towns like Athlone Town Stadium and Flancare Park (Longford) have decent grounds.

You could easily argue there's not enough athletics stadia in Ireland at all. How many cities, let alone towns, have proper tracks within stadia? Would there be the potential to move national champs to Limerick if we built one etc? Whereas football could easily be played in Thomond if the figures justified it. Is there any real difference between a rugby stadium and a football one? And without athletics facilities, is it really a multisport stadium?

I've no huge interest either way, I'd just like to see the facility maximised. The chance of building a city centre stadium that has athletic facilities appeals to me because we're unlikely to get the chance again but it's hardly something I'd go out and campaign for.

I'd like to see Limerick FC back in the Markets Field, fwiw, sooner rather than later.

At the same time though locals etc... Had no say in the redevelopment of the Gaelic Grounds or Thomond Pak so don't see why this situation should be different.

Locals lodged planning objections to both, iirc. And the council were consulted in relation to Thomond, removing the banana block etc.

Locals lodged planning objections to both, iirc. And the council were consulted in relation to Thomond, removing the banana block etc.

That was when they were actually knocking structures to make way for a bigger stadium, the markets field would be built within its current area were as thomond park was expanding. The objections had nothing to do with what the use for the stadium would be. I love right between both stadiums and never once heard of any input from locals on what the two stadiums shoul be used for.

I think if athletics etc... were to be considered for the markets field then the athletics board and or government would have to come up with substantial grants and investment in the ground which to this point hasn't happened.

That was when they were actually knocking structures to make way for a bigger stadium, the markets field would be built within its current area were as thomond park was expanding. The objections had nothing to do with what the use for the stadium would be. I love right between both stadiums and never once heard of any input from locals on what the two stadiums shoul be used for.

I think if athletics etc... were to be considered for the markets field then the athletics board and or government would have to come up with substantial grants and investment in the ground which to this point hasn't happened.

There's planning restrictions on both, brought in by locals. The Gaelic grounds can't hold concerts and Thomond had to deal with an objection from a Mr. Kiely at hassett's cross. Afaik, TP is restricted to something like 3 concerts a year, but howandever, we have a planning process that allows people raise concerns and general large scale developments are reached after a consultation process.

I agree wrt to the athletics funding, but then, we don't know who's funding what or what they are funding yet. I'm sure most hardcore fans wouldn't want a track, but for the city, how great would it be to have an athletics capable stadium pretty much in the city centre? The point being it should be a facility that works best for the entire city, not just one sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

osarusan wrote: »

That is absolute bollox. As with any development anywhere in the world, ALL the stakeholders should be involved in the debate and ultimately the decision as to what goes there. The stakeholders include the local residents, the council and others, as well as the developers.

Advertisement