Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Had a similar item years ago in work only it emitted a plume of smoke when stood on. More of an army training aid to simulate a proper mine field but the nearest I got to the home defence mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

time lord wrote: »
    Had a similar item years ago in work only it emitted a plume of smoke when stood on. More of an army training aid to simulate a proper mine field but the nearest I got to the home defence mine.
    Ive used similar in airsoft you fill them with powder and gas Another type you fill with water and gas

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Ive used similar in airsoft you fill them with powder and gas Another type you fill with water and gas

Ill take your word on that ;) is this the wrong forum to slag off airsoft?
    Seriously though an old buddie who is a senior n.c.o. In the P.D.F. does air soft and he deservedly gets a roasting.

Ill take your word on that ;) is this the wrong forum to slag off airsoft?
    Seriously though an old buddie who is a senior n.c.o. In the P.D.F. does air soft and he deservedly gets a roasting.
    Dont knock till you try it Its a good laugh personally I dont take as serious as some

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Regarding the burglar paint, axle grease applied liberally does a similar job for a good bit less money. Needs to be touched up every six months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Double glazing can be a weak and common point too. The scum jimmy the strip on the outside and pop out the entire pane. However you can get much more secure versions where they fit from the inside of the house into the frame. If you've the old stylee ones and the thoughts of replacing them fill you and your wallet with dread, you can make the old style ones a lot harder to force. What I did was take the panes out and run a bead of silicone sealer along them and refit, then a few short self tappers into the weather strip. If one breaks you can get it out, but it will take a lot longer and it will really slow the scum down. A mate of mine who had an attempt, did this and they tried again, but no joy. Being a cheap bastid it appeals to me too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

This is true, I've used this method to legally enter houses or apartments several times over the years. There is a glazing tape you can get, it's double sided foam tape, that goes between the glass unit and the interior rebate, sticking the two together. It's stronger then a silicone seal but if you have to change the glass unit, you simply take off the glazing strips outside, and start a cut on the foam inside and hey presto, out she pops. You have to have access to the interior of the window to de-glaze it. With silicone, the glass is rarely clean enough to get a good bond and even when you clean it with thinners, it's still easier to break the joint then the glazing tape.
    I really think if people knew how easy it was to break into their houses, there'd be lots more big dogs being walked round here!!
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Double glazing can be a weak and common point too. The scum jimmy the strip on the outside and pop out the entire pane. However you can get much more secure versions where they fit from the inside of the house into the frame. If you've the old stylee ones and the thoughts of replacing them fill you and your wallet with dread, you can make the old style ones a lot harder to force. What I did was take the panes out and run a bead of silicone sealer along them and refit, then a few short self tappers into the weather strip. If one breaks you can get it out, but it will take a lot longer and it will really slow the scum down. A mate of mine who had an attempt, did this and they tried again, but no joy. Being a cheap bastid it appeals to me too.

Wibbs wrote: »
    This is true, I've used this method to legally enter houses or apartments several times over the years. There is a glazing tape you can get, it's double sided foam tape, that goes between the glass unit and the interior rebate, sticking the two together. It's stronger then a silicone seal but if you have to change the glass unit, you simply take off the glazing strips outside, and start a cut on the foam inside and hey presto, out she pops. You have to have access to the interior of the window to de-glaze it. With silicone, the glass is rarely clean enough to get a good bond and even when you clean it with thinners, it's still easier to break the joint then the glazing tape.
    I really think if people knew how easy it was to break into their houses, there'd be lots more big dogs being walked round here!!

This is something I never knew I read Wibbs post this morning and then had to try it for myself within 10 minutes I had the bathroom window glass out of the frame (im sure if you know what your doing it would be much quicker) I can see riot iron grills on my windows in the future I was looking at locking systems for the frames as the standard lock looked flimsy. Time for a rethink

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Much better plan hippychippy. Maybe I got lucky with the silicone cos I used the stuff for building aquariums?
    ShadowFox wrote:
    This is something I never knew
    I'd reckon it's the commonest mode of forced entry for scum SF, after jimmying patio doors/popping backdoor locks(most modern ones are stupidly easy). It was a Guard who told me about the method years ago. An ex of mine came down to find her main kitchen window on the lawn out the back. And she was the definition of light sleeper.
    I can see riot iron grills on my windows in the future
    I can see that more and more in the future myself. I've noted on the continent where burglary stats are higher first and second floor windows are nearly always barred. EG Locals houses in Spain and Portugal. I remember walking through a Madrid suburb at night being an eerie experience. No cars parked, 12 foot walls with those rotating steel yokes and steel doors for every house. Little visible from the street. Even if you got over the wall or through the door the windows were still barred. BIt of a culture shock compared to Irish suburban housing.

Plus one on the big dog(s). Even small dogs cause a ruckus. There was a woman on another forum here whose cat went baldheaded for a burglar and they caught him trying to flee out the window with the moggie in full hissing spitting biting pursuit. :) Still there are elements of the criminal world who are specifically targeting houses with dogs to steal the dog themselves. There was a gang at it in the midlands a couple of years ago and a recent story in the Pet forum here where they targeted a kennels and stole two greyhounds. Ideally two or more dogs if you have the room, resources and dedication would help there. My vet imparted an interesting one to me back in the day, that is if anyone asks is your dog neutered reply in the affirmative even if he/she isn't as dogs can be targeted for breeding purposes.

I think it was Doc Ruby who mentioned brambles earlier in the thread. Good call. A PITA to keep in check, but for lining a boundary that stuff is gods own razor wire and has the added benefit of being completely legal. Gravel in your driveway and back garden paths(if you have one) isn't a bad idea either as it's noisy. Anything to shine a light on the scum.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Due to alot of break ins around my sisters area she asked me to look at making the house and gardens more secure but ive come across a problem the back door opens out not in and im finding it almost impossible to find away to secure it other than a couple of bolts (which she doesnt want) Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Due to alot of break ins around my sisters area she asked me to look at making the house and gardens more secure but ive come across a problem the back door opens out not in and im finding it almost impossible to find away to secure it other than a couple of bolts (which she doesnt want) Any ideas?
    What's the door made of? Far more options with a timber door.

What's the door made of? Far more options with a timber door.
    pvc worst luck

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

You can fit hidden bolts on PVC doors. The kind with the star shaped key that you insert from the inside, turn a few times and it raises the bolt into the frame. Union are a make of them. I'll try to get a pick tomorrow. Their not specifically for PVC doors but they can work. Is it an old PVC door? Most new Doors have at least a three point locking system, which makes the door pretty hard to force open. You could also try to make it difficult for a jimmy bar to get into the gap between the door and frame. As the door opens out, anyone trying to get in has to pull the door out to themselves, making it harder to bust locks. Also, what type of PVC door is it? I've seen lads get through the bottom PVC panel of a half glass door with just a plumbers gas torch. The only sound it makes is a quiet woosh

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

What locking mechanism does it currently have?

Had a proper look at the door last night it has a 3 point locking system and is made from pvc and wood. The inside and outside of the door and the locking system are pvc/aluminium but in between is wood I fitted 2 sliding door bolts to it for the moment like these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sliding-Patio-Door-Window-Bolt-locking-catch-push-lock-additional-security-/120858547286?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&var=&hash=item1c23bb1456

Had a proper look at the door last night it has a 3 point locking system and is made from pvc and wood. The inside and outside of the door and the locking system are pvc/aluminium but in between is wood I fitted 2 sliding door bolts to it for the moment like these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sliding-Patio-Door-Window-Bolt-locking-catch-push-lock-additional-security-/120858547286?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&var=&hash=item1c23bb1456

Ours came with the bog standard 3 lever Basta lock, so we added a Chubb 7 lever deadlock & 2 manual bolts top & bottom.

You could add some hinge bolts to the door frame, prevent them removing the door from the frame at the weakest point.

Its a weird door unable to add a chubb due to the locking system its a pvc lock with a locking point at the top and bottom but they just dont feel secure. The hinges are pvc type hinges with a small bolt in them ive ordered better ones through a friend

Its a weird door unable to add a chubb due to the locking system its a pvc lock with a locking point at the top and bottom but they just dont feel secure. The hinges are pvc type hinges with a small bolt in them ive ordered better ones through a friend

You don't have to fit a chubb to the door face. You can fit them to the top & bottom of the door too.
    They also do invisible locks (only visible on the inside of the door):
    http://www.bwhardware.ie/pdf/locks_CHUBB-SECONDRY.pdf
    Scoll down to page SS12.
    Might be more to your sister's liking. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Be careful with PVC doors its very easy to break the lock. Literally only a few seconds with the right tool. Its recommended to get anti-snap locks which have a built in weak point.

Advertisement