Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Dont know about the stats but the guards raided 4 houses in Dublin and recovered stolen property from all round the country some 200 break ins solved

Suppose we should be glad they caught them before they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

silentrust wrote: »
    Suppose we should be glad they caught them before they left.
    Thats the thing its different break in crews coming in storing all the goods then shipping them in trucks back to their countries they got the holders but not the break in crews

Thats the thing its different break in crews coming in storing all the goods then shipping them in trucks back to their countries they got the holders but not the break in crews

You wonder why they bothered with using houses at all, why not just load the trucks directly? Perhaps they wanted to steal more stuff than a few trucks could hold.

You wonder why they bothered with using houses at all, why not just load the trucks directly? Perhaps they wanted to steal more stuff than a few trucks could hold.
    unfortunately there is a crew going around my general area at the moment 12 houses were done in the last week to 10 days

unfortunately there is a crew going around my general area at the moment 12 houses were done in the last week to 10 days

My word, I didn't think there was much crime here in Ireland!

• Advertisement

Just a bit lol give crime.ie a look he reports stuff the rest dont

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Per-capita I think we're doing alright, though I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Khannie wrote: »
    Per-capita I think we're doing alright, though I'm open to correction.

I think your right.

Dogs are the best protection against burglars, they just wont risk it when they can move to an easier target down the road!

Our cctv has come in very useful twice in the last few weeks. My tyre was slashed and so were alot of others in the estate before the slasher atole a bike and left the area. The guards were able to track him down and altho the cost of the tyre rested with me the culpret will be prosicuted. Again only last week my mas windscreen was smashed by a drunken prick, i recognised him from the video and called up to his house and got the money for the screen. I wouldnt write off cctv. Ours can be viewed remotely and combined with the monitered alarm its very useful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Anyone recommend a CCTV camera. Just want something basic for outside my front door that will record on a drive

Anyone recommend a CCTV camera. Just want something basic for outside my front door that will record on a drive
    If you want something covert i recommend the eye spy one that sits in your door looks like the normal peep hole

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Spy-Door-Peephole-Viewer-Security-CCTV-Camera-Colour-Wide-Angle-Lens-Low-Lux-/221237641152?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item3382ca7fc0#ht_3352wt_1271

• Advertisement

If you want something covert i recommend the eye spy one that sits in your door looks like the normal peep hole

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Spy-Door-Peephole-Viewer-Security-CCTV-Camera-Colour-Wide-Angle-Lens-Low-Lux-/221237641152?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item3382ca7fc0#ht_3352wt_1271

Good point, is it better to have something discrete or perhaps knowing you have it wards criminals off? I've never thought criminals were good at long term thinking but perhaps it might scare some of the brighter ones away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

How does that one record? Would I have to buy my own drive ?

I wonder if any Feminists are following this thread - is installing CCTV in your own home "victim blaming" too I wonder? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

+1 on dogs, we are in one of those out of the way locations favored with sales visits by the travelling community, a local landowner even allowed them to grase their horses here for a while giving them a reason to come knocking; now that we have big dogs and gates they won't even risk opening the gates to drive down :)

While I'd wouldn't use overt CCTV it is quite funny watching peoples reactions to dummy cameras (the real camera boxes with nothing in them). A neighbor has built a new house and I can see the entrance from where I'm sitting, its a good walk/drive down to the house and you have to go around a sharp bend in the drive before you get to it. The side wall of this house facing the drive has a massive camera housing on the side of it the sort you see on motorways but you don't see the camera until you round the bend. So the house was empty during the winter, locally it would have been known it was empty and I'd watch locals going down the drive for a quick look at the new house only to round the bend see the camera housing facing them and turn around straight away. For a while it was Sunday afternoon event.

eirator wrote: »
    +1 on dogs, we are in one of those out of the way locations favored with sales visits by the travelling community, a local landowner even allowed them to grase their horses here for a while giving them a reason to come knocking; now that we have big dogs and gates they won't even risk opening the gates to drive down :)

While I'd wouldn't use overt CCTV it is quite funny watching peoples reactions to dummy cameras (the real camera boxes with nothing in them). A neighbor has built a new house and I can see the entrance from where I'm sitting, its a good walk/drive down to the house and you have to go around a sharp bend in the drive before you get to it. The side wall of this house facing the drive has a massive camera housing on the side of it the sort you see on motorways but you don't see the camera until you round the bend. So the house was empty during the winter, locally it would have been known it was empty and I'd watch locals going down the drive for a quick look at the new house only to round the bend see the camera housing facing them and turn around straight away. For a while it was Sunday afternoon event.

Tail firmly between their legs no doubt! :-D

I have yet to be graced with a visit from members of the Travelling community, what sort of stuff do they try to sell, fresh produce, that kind of thing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

[mod] Please bring the thread back onto the topic of home security and let's not have a discussion on any people in a "nomadic" community...[/mod]

How does that one record? Would I have to buy my own drive ?
    Yes you would have to buy a dvr or a dvd hard drive recorder or home pc and the extra cable for it to reach your tv

eirator wrote: »

Cant beat dogs ive 3 at the moment 2 black lab crosses and a jack russel the overt cctv i use at the moment are like these http://www.ebay.ie/itm/48-LED-Illuminator-Light-CCTV-IR-Infrared-Night-Vision-Lamp-For-Security-Camera-/350709745925?pt=UK_CCTV&var=&hash=item51a7ee0905#ht_2158wt_1139
    Ive one hidden behind a spot light at the side of the house looking at the front and 2 criss crossed at the back of the house so the whole back garden is covered I added wireless transmitters and receivers to them and have a dvr recording them Ive also put this type of cctv just behind the guttering of my parents and sisters houses and cant really be seen during the day but at night the 48 leds light up and is easy seen

Need ideas seeing as we got the house renovated the war office is hounding me to get rid of the razor wire I put around the back walls of the house. So im in need of tried and tested ways to secure it that are more covert. Ive 3 dogs but most of the time they are indoors so would like something that will put anyone off even trying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

This might work.....
    9554CF30-0C06-4E6B-B3FB-898D96D32863-17233-000010DF96EC70B3_zpsaba9e1fd.jpg

• Advertisement

Have the warning sign up already :D

Warning.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Have the warning sign up already :D

Warning.jpg

That's way to subtle for some people, remember in a crisis they may not have google to look up what a backhoe is!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Need ideas seeing as we got the house renovated the war office is hounding me to get rid of the razor wire I put around the back walls of the house. So im in need of tried and tested ways to secure it that are more covert. Ive 3 dogs but most of the time they are indoors so would like something that will put anyone off even trying
    'Burglar paint' grease paint can be quite effective for tops of walls and low pitch roofs etc. I first encountered it getting a kitten out of an enclosed outdoor space. I belly climbed a wall and got destroyed. I did my homework on it and it is very effective against intruders. Vast majority will not know its in place until its too late and will withdraw rather than carry on. It's dear can be up to €90 a pot, comes in two colours, black and grey.
    Put it liberally on top of wall and it forms a dry skin like custard but underneath it remains goo like. It's only waiting to destroy a tracksuit or too.

time lord wrote: »
    'Burglar paint' grease paint can be quite effective for tops of walls and low pitch roofs etc. I first encountered it getting a kitten out of an enclosed outdoor space. I belly climbed a wall and got destroyed. I did my homework on it and it is very effective against intruders. Vast majority will not know its in place until its too late and will withdraw rather than carry on. It's dear can be up to €90 a pot, comes in two colours, black and grey.
    Put it liberally on top of wall and it forms a dry skin like custard but underneath it remains goo like. It's only waiting to destroy a tracksuit or too.
    Its illegal to use from what i was told and Mr Scumbag can sue you for destroying his nikies :eek:

Its illegal to use from what i was told and Mr Scumbag can sue you for destroying his nikies :eek:

Naw not illegal. Anyway the previous owners put it there ;-)

Naw not illegal. Anyway the previous owners put it there ;-)
    Its one of those things where you can put it 7ft up on a drain pipe or on the roof of a shed but its illegal if its on walls that can be reached from the ground or lower than 7ft on drain pipes and (stupid I know but thats the law)

Its one of those things where you can put it 7ft up on a drain pipe or on the roof of a shed but its illegal if its on walls that can be reached from the ground or lower than 7ft on drain pipes and (stupid I know but thats the law)
    I'll leave it to the legal discussion forum. It may exist in some case law but doubt its in any statute book. I'll slap it on every wall I'll ever own :)
    The courts are a good place to see how laws can be interpreted in a vast array of different ways for the most simplistic of laws.
    Lots of surprises await any Nike/tracksuit visitors!

I'll leave it to the legal discussion forum. It may exist in some case law but doubt its in any statute book. I'll slap it on every wall I'll ever own :)
    The courts are a good place to see how laws can be interpreted in a vast array of different ways for the most simplistic of laws.
    Lots of surprises await any Nike/tracksuit visitors!
    I went the same road with the razor wire but its crazy to think that you cant protect your home with something as silly without risking court. I seen a case a couple of years ago an intruder well known to the Guards sued Dublin County Council because he ripped his hand on the fence as he was climbing over "to pass through" and won the case thats why most places are changing to the rounded fence top

Anyway back on track Thanks for the tip on the paint I may use it in some spots

Was looking at the spiked like mats you can put on the wall to stop cats and birds but unsure if they would be of use

On a light note but still on topic anyone come across the home defence mines?
    Apparently they just let out an almighty bang when they step on one slid into ones lawn etc. I think the noise would just do me in and I'd shoot myself in the foot running to the window. Don't think the weight of a dog sets them off either.

• Advertisement

On a light note but still on topic anyone come across the home defence mines?
    Apparently they just let out an almighty bang when they step on one slid into ones lawn etc. I think the noise would just do me in and I'd shoot myself in the foot running to the window. Don't think the weight of a dog sets them off either.
    they sound cool never heard of them be interesting to see in action

Advertisement