Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security

Options
  • 25-06-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Ive been looking and getting my home more secure seeing as Garda stations are closing down totally or closing at 10pm in a lot of areas and as I plan to shelter in place if at all possible so here are a few things ive done

Alarm system: All windows doors and sheds I have powered my alarm system off of a solar panel and heavy duty backup battery

CCTV: I changed the peep hole viewer that was in my door and replaced it with a cctv camera (less than €30 on ebay very handy) can be viewed on the tv or if the power goes ive a 5" monitor and extra solar panel that i can power camera and monitor off of

Windows: Ive changed all the window handles to lockable ones

Doors: Ive put hinge bolts on my front and back doors and chubb locks on both

Side gate: I built a new one with marine ply and 3x2 as a frame

Back walls: now have razor wire on them and wireless cctv coverage (have to sort solar panels to power them )

SHTF: Ive marine ply cut and ready for all windows and doors inside and out and some steel bars to reinforce them
    thats about it for the time being ive been looking at outdoor pirs to link to my alarm system but they are a little out of my price range at the moment so the rottie has to earn her keep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

I'm jealous! I used to live alone in the middle of nowhere and I would have killed for a set-up like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Cliona99 wrote: »
    I'm jealous! I used to live alone in the middle of nowhere and I would have killed for a set-up like that!
    I live in a housing estate in dublin with a young family thats why i made it secure for their sake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

sounds like a great set up! good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Nice forward thinking.
    I like the preparations for what might happen now, as opposed to only thinking about eotw situations.

Have you thought about window shutters? They can be a nice decorative feature without drawing too much attention and yet can provide another layer of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Also a question, is it legal to top a wall with razor wire?

• Advertisement

bonniebede wrote: »
    Nice forward thinking.
    I like the preparations for what might happen now, as opposed to only thinking about eotw situations.

Have you thought about window shutters? They can be a nice decorative feature without drawing too much attention and yet can provide another layer of protection.

I've looked into them but a bit pricey for me at the moment

I'm not sure but to be honest I don't really care id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Not sure but i have broken glass shards on mine, im working on a secret self destruct system at the moment

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A very good thread and worthwhile subject. I have recently been reviewing our own house and doing a little research online. I found this site which has some interesting looking products to prevent entry into your house. Some very expensive (€1700 for a front door) and some DIY stuff for reasonable money

http://burglarybusters.ie/

(No connection etc. just found through Google)

Years ago during the troubles up the north a big home security thing was a shop shutter in the attic that came down at the top of the stairs with a well cut out of the top step so it couldnt be forced open but i think if i did something like that the other half would have me committed :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Nice forward thinking.

If you have shutters on the outside then my first thought would be there must be something of value that you are hiding on the inside and I don't think I'd be the only person thinking that way. Same way as if you have an alarm box, if SHTF then it just elevates the house as a target.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you have shutters on the outside then my first thought would be there must be something of value that you are hiding on the inside and I don't think I'd be the only person thinking that way. Same way as if you have an alarm box, if SHTF then it just elevates the house as a target.

Shutter are an unusual feature in Irish houses, but alarm boxes are in the majority so that's nothing exotic or noteworthy I would say.

grapeape wrote: »
    Years ago during the troubles up the north a big home security thing was a shop shutter in the attic that came down at the top of the stairs with a well cut out of the top step so it couldnt be forced open but i think if i did something like that the other half would have me committed :D

It's funny, I was tinkering around with some sketches recently to design a solid door/flap that would swing into place and close off the upstairs to intruders. Something I've used for anti-piracy on ships. Again, the mrs wouldn't take to kindly to something like that either :pac:

The shutters if i ever got them id put them inside not out for that reason the alarm box you can put it anywhere really front back side its up to you at the end of the day your paying for it so you get what you want

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It's funny, I was tinkering around with some sketches recently to design a solid door/flap that would swing into place and close off the upstairs to intruders. Something I've used for anti-piracy on ships. Again, the mrs wouldn't take to kindly to something like that either :pac:
    Ive seen something like that and seen a lad get his face smashed in when the cord he had (should have used paracord:D) snapped at the wrong time

Chord?! :eek: Large sliding bolt lock and STAND CLEAR!!

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Chord?! :eek: Large sliding bolt lock and STAND CLEAR!!
    Yeah he was fitting the lock and other bits and had it tied back with cord we heard the bang and scream then seen him with a broken nose and teeth missing Any time im at his house i ask him why the hinges are in the ceiling :D I wont repeat his answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I was advised not to when some local gurriers were throwing stones at the house window on and off years ago, for liability reasons. I put up some palisade fencing instead and some briar cuttings mysteriously found their way all along the bottom of it. Tasty berries and no further problems from the gougers, not exactly cheap though.

Palisade-Fence.jpg

Looking at the new WIFI CCTV cameras any one have any hands on experience with these

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Looking at the new WIFI CCTV cameras any one have any hands on experience with these

Or does anyone know where i can get a few signs saying my house is protected by internet cctv 24/7. I think this will arise suspision from the scum

• Advertisement

tootsy70 wrote: »
    Or does anyone know where i can get a few signs saying my house is protected by internet cctv 24/7. I think this will arise suspision from the scum
    Ebay have the stickers

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Ebay have the stickers

couldnt find any

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

tootsy70 wrote: »
    couldnt find any

Vistaprint.ie will make anything you want, cheap too

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

I'm planning on getting two or three POE units from foscam.de, I borrowed one from a chap in work recently and was impressed with it. I caught the neighbours dog ****ting in my lawn with it too, he'd been denying it for years (the neighbour not the dog).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

I'm planning on getting two or three POE units from foscam.de, I borrowed one from a chap in work recently and was impressed with it. I caught the neighbours dog ****ting in my lawn with it too, he'd been denying it for years (the neighbour not the dog).

Ok I don't have this but after my Mother and her partner's house was broken into a few years ago (they smashed the door in with brute force), he went a bit nuts on home security, to wit:

- An outside CCTV camera which detects movement and records it to one of those TV recorder devices with a hard drive in them.
    - Reinforced steel door.
    - A safe which is bolted to the floor but also in a hidden place so it won't attract attention of thieves.

We know it was kids who broke in as they took the Jack Daniels but left the Irish Whiskey -the philistines, we need a better class of criminal! :-)

The advantages of CCTV seem to be obvious in one sense but I'd never install one as it's only useful after the fact (believe me if house breakers were good at consequential thinking they wouldn't be criminals, often they want to steal for drug money and are desperate for a quick fix.)

:-)

The old CCTV system was useful after the fact but the new wifi ones can be viewed on your smart phone /laptop anywhere in the world add a monitored alarm system or the wire free alarm that text you when activated and you can see if its a false alarm or who is breaking into your home and give the guards a detailed description of them and keep a look out for them as you make your way home

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

I've lived on my street for nearly nine years. There has only been one attempted and one actual break in. Both of these were in the only house on the block that doesn't have a dog. My mates house was broken into a few years ago and the Gards actually caught the robbing little b***ix. They told my mate they found a notebook on him with addresses in and an X marked beside some of them. They then established that all the houses with an X had dogs!

Danpad wrote: »
    I've lived on my street for nearly nine years. There has only been one attempted and one actual break in. Both of these were in the only house on the block that doesn't have a dog. My mates house was broken into a few years ago and the Gards actually caught the robbing little b***ix. They told my mate they found a notebook on him with addresses in and an X marked beside some of them. They then established that all the houses with an X had dogs!
    I heard in the uk they are marking the houses with symbols in chalk on the wall or pavement to tell who has what. Also talking to the local guards there seem to be gangs coming into the country hitting a load of houses then leaving again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

I heard in the uk they are marking the houses with symbols in chalk on the wall or pavement to tell who has what. Also talking to the local guards there seem to be gangs coming into the country hitting a load of houses then leaving again

How very Robin Hood like of them! But the most likely case scenario is an opportunistic crime according to the stats I saw on Home Office website last time, this is why good physical security is so paramount.

Very pleased to hear how much CCTV has come along. Might get it if I ever own anything worth nicking.

• Advertisement

silentrust wrote: »
    How very Robin Hood like of them! But the most likely case scenario is an opportunistic crime according to the stats I saw on Home Office website last time, this is why good physical security is so paramount.

Very pleased to hear how much CCTV has come along. Might get it if I ever own anything worth nicking.
    Dont know about the stats but the guards raided 4 houses in Dublin and recovered stolen property from all round the country some 200 break ins solved

Advertisement