Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi Feed LNB Setup Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

It may be better to get a slightly larger dish. A 1m dish would be fine. You wouldnt have to worry about slim size lnbs then as normal lnb's should be able to sit side by side giving 3 degree spacing. Also there would be a lot of extra gain with the offset lnbs on a larger dish. I had a gilbertini 85cm with similar offsets. i just couldnt get it to perform in bad weather like i wanted it to. I now use a 1.1m and have no problems, except in heavy snow. I have 13, 16, 19, 23, 28 off the dish.

Diseqc switches come in 2x1, 4x1, 8x1 and possibly 16x1.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Thanks for the response snaps.

How bad would the weather need to be to affect it, are we talking about light rain or much heavier?

So if I get the Gilbertini 1m dish instead I can use the lnb's and lnb holder mentioned above with no difficulty.

The only thing thats putting me offf the 1m is the size of it, I don't have a gable to put it on, so it will have to be mounted on the wall of the house.

Do you know of any good tutorials to set up a range of lnb's like 9E, 13E, 16E, 19E?

Also do you know if those lnb's would work for saorsat, I heard it has to be a particular lnb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I have 6 lnbs on a Triax TD 88 4.8e,13e,16e (on centre),19.2e,23.5e and 28.2e, all working well in today's heavy rain, and I live near Letterkenny, if that helps your queries any.
    This thread helped me no end
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056197308
    Saorsat will need a Ka lnb, somewhere near centre, they cost around €35 and are twin output.
    If you can get Saorview, don't bother with it.
    Diseqc switch, 8 way, on ebay for around €12 delivered.

cheers for the info excollier. wow, that's good going to fit 6 lnb's on a 88cm, they must be very slim. I'm not sure what to do so

The only reason I want 16E is for tring. Is tring still worth getting do you think, a lot of people say they aren't receiving the 3pm games on it.

Whats do you think is the best provider for Premier league football with English commentary excollier?

I think English commentry can't be relied on anymore. To be honest a foreign commentary doesn't bother me anymore.
    That's great going on that td88.

• Advertisement

what providers would you recommend snaps for the most football with 3pm games?

who's your main provider?

Here is my dish. I have no interest in football, I just set up the dish to see what was possible.

sky Italia would possibly be best behind Tring. There's an awful lot on D+ on 19 east too.
    I have cyfra+ Poland and al jazzera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I have a few questions.

1) Is there any specific type of LNB Holder that I will need, or will I be able to get this spread with any 4 LNB holder? Will this one work:

http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/montage-zubehoer-lnb-zubehoer/multifeed-gibertini-4-fach-variabel.html

2) Will the LNB's need to be a certain size/width. And would I need good quality ones?

Will these ones work:
    http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/lnb-lnb-single/maximum-xo-11-single-lnb-40mm-feed-01db-hdtv.html
    If using an 85cm Gibertini you will need an lnb holder that allows 3 degree spacing.
    http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/montage-zubehoer-lnb-zubehoer/multifeed-gibertini-4-fach-variabel-3-grad.html
    The one you linked to is not suitable ,the holders are too wide.

You will also need to use slimline lnbs ,not standard ones as they are too wide for 3 degree spacing
    http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/lnb-lnb-single/alps-uni-single-lnb-40mm-feed.html

19,16,13 and 9e is possible using the above items on an 88cm Gibertini and will perform well as its only a maximum 6 degree offset .
    The Gibertinis are a fine dish ,very light ,high performance and rust free as made from aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

snaps wrote: »
    sky Italia would possibly be best behind Tring. There's an awful lot on D+ on 19 east too.
    I have cyfra+ Poland and al jazzera.

Hi Snaps

I have al Jazeera but was thinking about adding Cyfra for Premership and movies. I was looking at cards but not sure which package is the best, any suggestions? A few to pick from on satsklep but not sure which one offers the best value. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭RimaNTSS

I'm going to replace the twin LNB with a quatro LNB, so I will have PVR function in the sitting room and normal function in kitchen.
    Dave! With Quatro LNB you will not get PVR function, you certainly need Quad LNB. And secondly, why you limiting yourself watching some of satellites in living room and some of them in the kitchen? Why do not you have all of your LNBs Quad (or at least 1-Quad and 4-Twins) and have PVR option from all 5 satellites in the living room and at the same time 5 satellites in the kitchen? Except already mentioned, diseqs also available 1/10. And even more-instead of all your dishes install T90 and have all your desired satellites on one antenna!

The packages seem to have changed since i purchased.

This is very good value

http://satsklep.pl/index.php?s=produkt&id_prod=1885&id_kat=80&id_typu=0

Most of the movie channels have english option. Not too sure about the likes of Discovery/Animal Planet (HD) if they have english.

This is fantastic value for the basic channels.

http://satsklep.pl/index.php?s=produkt&id_prod=1250&id_kat=80&id_typu=0

Cheers for the info zardoz, do you think 16E would be ok on the 85cm tho? Some people had bother with it

Yeah I know what you mean RimaNTSS, I would consider getting 4 twin lnb's instead, the only thing thats stopping me is it would cost me a lot more and I'm trying to keep costs down. But I'll consider it

Nice set up you've got there excollier, what kind of lnb's did you use? Are they slimlines?

I'll either get the 85 cm gilbertini with slimline alps so, or a 1m gilbertini with normal lnb's

would 5 normal lnb's fit on the 1m gilbertini, if it did I could get rid of the sky dish completely like RimaNTSS suggested?

I used Triax Alps slim lnbs at 16e and 23.5e.
    Inverto Black Premium singles at 4.8e, 13e and 19.2e and finally an Inverto Black Ultra quad at 28.2e to help with the offset. All working perfectly.
    You should be fine with 16e on a 85cm dish, especially if you use it at centre. Since the new satellite went up, the signal is much stronger these days. I have a TD88, and with 16e at the main focus, I have no problems at all. You may want to consider the TD88 as a candidate for your set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

excollier wrote: »
    . I have a TD88, and with 16e at the main focus, I have no problems at all. You may want to consider the TD88 as a candidate for your set up.

+1 on the TD88 I have 7LNBs on mine, with 16e as the prime focus and a spread from 4.8e to 28.2e and on my main cluster of used Sat's 13e, 16e, 19.2e and 28.2e the performance is excellent.
    I do have rain attenuation issues with 4.8e/9e/10e but on all the other birds including 16e since the new bird went active performance is excellent :)

You will need to plan your LNB placement to get your spacings right whichever dish you choose and a similar set on a 1mtr Gib would allow even better weather margin if you are planning on using the fringe sats.

Personally IMO there's not much on 4.8e(Cant receive the nordic beam without a much bigger dish) and 9e(mainly Russian/Eastern Europe) and Penthouse HD ;) :P,
    Apart from Saorsat of course, which requires a different LNB type(Ka-Sat) which you haven't mentioned so I'm assuming you are after the normal Ku service from 9e?
    I agree with ExCollier on Saorsat....If you can get saorview don't bother with it.

Yes, its for saorsat that I want 9e for.

Yeah I'd be tempted to go for the TD88, but I think I might aswell go for the 1m gilbertini to get that little bit extra gain on the offset lnb's as snaps recommended earlier.

I'm thinking 16e as centre, then 19e as offset on one side, and 13e, 9e with a ka lnb on the other side.

I'd be a little worried about the saorsat reception when its offset that much though, I'd like to have perfect reception for saorsat rain or shine.

Should get away with 3 of these lnb's with the 1m dish: http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/lnb-lnb-single/maximum-xo-11-single-lnb-40mm-feed-01db-hdtv.html

And one ka lnb for 9e

My reason for going with saorsat is I have a spare sat box lying around, so it will save me the cost of buying a sat/dtt combo box to receive saorview and the bbc's

Yes, its for saorsat that I want 9e for.

Yeah I'd be tempted to go for the TD88, but I think I might aswell go for the 1m gilbertini to get that little bit extra gain on the offset lnb's as snaps recommended earlier.

I'm thinking 16e as centre, then 19e as offset on one side, and 13e, 9e with a ka lnb on the other side.
    I think 13e,16e and 19e could be a tough fit on a TD88.
    The lnb holders on the TD88 are fairly wide and may need diy .
    I know Banie01 had to mod his 16e lnb holder to get it to fit properly.
    You wont have any such issues with the Gib 85 as the lnb holder I linked to allows 3 degree spacing.
    I'd recommend these instead,much better lnb
    http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/lnb-lnb-single/smart-titanium-edition-ts-single-universal-01-db.html

grand, cheers zardoz, I'll get those lnb's instead, along with the lnb holder you linked.... and then either the gilbertini 85cm or 1m

Was reading up on saorsat there, and apparently a dvb-s2 box is needed. The one I have is dvb-s. Wow, saorsat is incredibly picky :/ It may be less bother to get a saorview/sat combo box, and not bother with saorsat. I'll see whichever works out cheapest anyway

Definitely gonna put up lnb's for 13e, 16e and 19e anyway

I was able to fit 13,16 and 19.2 on my TD88 because I used an Alps slim lnb at 16 east between two Inverto Black Premiums, the Alps just slots in without a holder, tightly, no mods, the other two holding it firmly in place with no issues of movement.
    I would agree though, a 1m dish will give you better gain on the offsets, obviously.
    I have no problems with the TD88 even in heavy rain, although 4.8e is marginal, it never breaks up.
    Anyway, good luck and I hope it works out for you, although once you start, you will forever be tempted to keep tweaking and tinkering, it's addictive!

grand, cheers zardoz, I'll get those lnb's instead, along with the lnb holder you linked.... and then either the gilbertini 85cm or 1m
    If you get the 85cm Gibertini you will need slim line lnbs for some if not all lnbs at 13e,16e and 19e.

The standard lnbs should be fine on a 1m dish but it may be safer to get 1 slimline lnb for that just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭peter_dublin

Zardoz wrote: »
    If you get the 85cm Gibertini you will need slim line lnbs for some if not all lnbs at 13e,16e and 19e.

The standard lnbs should be fine on a 1m dish but it may be safer to get 1 slimline lnb for that just in case.

To add to this, I have an Orbital 110cm and I currently have a Black Ultra at 16e and a Black Premium at 13E. At 13E I only get about 40% signal quality due to the LNB sizes. so much so that I am replacing the 16E with an ALPS to enable me to get the 13E LNB Closer. The other issue is I have an Orbital Multi LNB Bracket which has "fat" LNB holders which I will be looking to replace. The end result for me if multi extra LNBs and a MultiLNB system of no use to myself.

I would recommend you go slim for 16E from the beginning. From reviewing other setups here, 13e and 19e can be normal LNBs on a 1m+ if 16e is slim and the LNB holders allow them to get close enough.

Read my post #20 above, there should be enough room on a 110cm dish if a TD88 can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Daviddom,

I use Cyrfa like Snaps, bought teh card from satskelp

Commentary in Polish though, but really it dosent bother me

Regards

Iba

Here is my dish. I have no interest in football, I just set up the dish to see what was possible.

Excollier,

Nice pic, what sats have u got on that?

Any chance u could post a pic close-up from the other side?

Regards

Iba

Was reading up on saorsat there, and apparently a dvb-s2 box is needed. The one I have is dvb-s. Wow, saorsat is incredibly picky :/ It may be less bother to get a saorview/sat combo box, and not bother with saorsat. I'll see whichever works out cheapest anyway

Definitely gonna put up lnb's for 13e, 16e and 19e anyway

David,

In my opinion, there is not much good stuff on 13, 16 & 19. Would you not consider 26 - there are loads of English movie stations on it - I have Sats 28, 26, 19 & 13 feeding into twin LNBs feeding into tow 4*1 Diseqc Switches.

Regards

Iba

iba wrote: »
    Excollier,

Regards

Iba

Thanks.
    By a pic "from the other side" do you mean the back of the dish and it's mount, I'm not sure what you mean. By the way, that exposed diseqc switch is liberally coated in silicone grease, no issues with rain.
    My dish has 4.8e, 13e, 16e, 19.2e, 23.5e and 28.2e.

Excollier,

Regards

Iba

Thanks.
    By a pic "from the other side" do you mean the back of the dish and it's mount, I'm not sure what you mean. By the way, that exposed diseqc switch is liberally coated in silicone grease, no issues with rain.
    the multi lnb arm looks strong and secure. Wish my gilbertini arm was as sturdy.

Thanks.

Excollier,

Well u figured out what I meant - your second pic is what I was getting at. (nice)

Silicone grease, thats a good idea.

I was thinking of waxing my dish with car wax - any idea if thats a good idea or not?

Regards

Iba

cheers for the info excollier. wow, that's good going to fit 6 lnb's on a 88cm, they must be very slim. I'm not sure what to do so

The only reason I want 16E is for tring. Is tring still worth getting do you think, a lot of people say they aren't receiving the 3pm games on it.

Whats do you think is the best provider for Premier league football with English commentary excollier?

David,

Further to my Post of yesterday - Ill probably be going with this package for premier league footie this year, (I only have to renew my card when it expires in a month or so)

Hope it is of some help.

Regards

Iba

• Advertisement

Further to my Post of yesterday - Ill probably be going with this package for premier league footie this year, (I only have to renew my card when it expires in a month or so)

Hope it is of some help.

Regards

Iba

great value

Advertisement