Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haircut styles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get a new hairstyle/haircut and wondering is there any good barbers in Dublin where you can just go in and ask them for suggestions and get them to do what they thinks works? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Uh oh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Festy wrote: »
    Uh oh :pac:

ha just saw the same thread there now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get a new hairstyle/haircut and wondering is there any good barbers in Dublin where you can just go in and ask them for suggestions and get them to do what they thinks works? :D

I use Sams barbers on Ormond Quay. Great place to get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

isn't there a fancy place on westmoreland street that does fancy quiffs and all. I remember looking at their Facebook page and they had photos of people getting their hair cut and styled in this place. Kind of old style looking, but the FB photos gave a great indication of what their staff can do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Maybe something like this might suit you OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

OP you should go for the Gordon Gekko cut.Easy to manage and looks classy.Plus the chick will think you're loaded.Win - Win ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I never thought I'd have to come into a thread about hair styles and Moderate - that is issue Yellow Cards to people.

Seriously???

This is not AH, we expect more from posters here. If posters can't or won't accept that, then I suggest not posting at all.

Cheers

DrG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Now for an OT response :)

Get yourself into the lads in Bedford Stuy, right beside the Central Bank (in Dublin obviously). Looks and feels like a modern take on the old school barber, but really great service and advice. The guys there will totally advise you on what style suits you, and how to manage it when you get home etc.

Pricewise, you are looking about €20 for a wash and cut, but it is totally worth it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Dr Galen wrote: »
    Now for an OT response :)

Get yourself into the lads in Bedford Stuy, right beside the Central Bank (in Dublin obviously). Looks and feels like a modern take on the old school barber, but really great service and advice. The guys there will totally advise you on what style suits you, and how to manage it when you get home etc.

Pricewise, you are looking about €20 for a wash and cut, but it is totally worth it.

Go to Robert Chambers and ask for Athos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

seachto7 wrote: »
    isn't there a fancy place on westmoreland street that does fancy quiffs and all. I remember looking at their Facebook page and they had photos of people getting their hair cut and styled in this place. Kind of old style looking, but the FB photos gave a great indication of what their staff can do...

Yeah, the Waldorf. Brilliant place. If I'm in Dublin I try to make it there. Was just there last saturday, €26 for a wash and cut that I'm well pleased with. Well worth a trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Once I started thinning out it became "a bit off the sides and a bit off the floor"
    :rolleyes:

Now I get the zero all over from a place that rubs a nice bit of oil in and a head massage when I feel I need that extra bit of neatness that my own hand sometimes lacks.. And I just fancy having my head rubbed! :pac:.. I wouldn't begrudge or scorn anyone paying 23 blips or even 50 for what makes them happy. Make the most of it while you have it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Short back and sides

eh...........................NO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'm not very creative with my haircuts, and I tend to switch between short hair and medium length hair constantly, which probably isn't very cool, but it does mean only getting a haircut like once every six months :P I normally get a No. 4 around the back and sides and cut with a scissors on top, and at the moment my fringe is about eye-length so it's time to get it cut, because soon I won't be able to see :P

I was thinking of doing something more interesting to it, which is why I clicked on this thread. Unfortunately nearly the whole thing is people bickering about each other. I'll probably get a consultation, because I have no idea what to do with it! Andrew Garfield's hair in the new Spiderman movie is kinda cool! That's the only thing that springs to mind because I saw it the other night (Good movie too :P )

• Site Banned Posts: 14 cluelessgent

Long time lurker, what exactly do you ask for when getting a haircut? I usually get a 4 all over but thats pretty boring and i ask the barber what he thinks and he says he cant dictate

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Long time lurker, what exactly do you ask for when getting a haircut? I usually get a 4 all over but thats pretty boring and i ask the barber what he thinks and he says he cant dictate

i usually get an undercut so the back and sides of my hair is shaved to a 1 but its long on top.
    but ive started growing the sides out so i can go for this look
    http://i.imgur.com/MskDk.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Barber:"what do ya want?"
    Me:"Scissor cut"

job done.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 cluelessgent

Real Life wrote: »
    i usually get an undercut so the back and sides of my hair is shaved to a 1 but its long on top.
    but ive started growing the sides out so i can go for this look
    http://i.imgur.com/MskDk.jpg

Ah a true gent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

A very boring blade 3 all over. My hair tends to be very thick and it always feels good not to have to tame it before work in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    A very boring blade 3 all over. My hair tends to be very thick and it always feels good not to have to tame it before work in the morning.

I feel the same but it's only rarely that I go for the 3 or even 2 all over. Usually I just get a 3 on the back and sides and scissors on the top making sure that the barber thins it out. A thick head of hair is a good complaint to have.

Sometimes I go to the barber with the intention of just getting it thinned and tidied a bit so it'll grow a bit longer than usual but then at the last minute I feel I have to get my money's worth and get the usual crop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Anything from a blade 3 to blade 7 back and sides depending on my mood, and then a scissor cut on top, leaving enough so that it can be spiked

BDJW wrote: »
    Anything from a blade 3 to blade 7 back and sides depending on my mood, and then a scissor cut on top, leaving enough so that it can be spiked

They have a blade 7? Never heard of that. I remember years ago asking for a 5 and the barber just said it'd be easier to just cut it with scissors to that length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Blade 2 all over.

You're aiming for that sweet spot between hippy and neo-Nazi.

The problem with a blade 2 or 3 all over is that after about 2 weeks it get's to the fuzzy stage where you end up looking like a microphone/matchstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 That wolf

The problem with a blade 2 or 3 all over is that after about 2 weeks it get's to the fuzzy stage where you end up looking like a microphone/matchstick.
    That's a great stage for touching it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Can't beat the aul number 1, it's a popular style these days as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I have 3 hairstyles.
    1 - My "Home" style - whatever the pillow decides after a long nights sleep. Reserved for inside my house.
    2 - My normal style - combed and a slight flick to the side.
    3 - My formal style - A combover with a raised front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

I've went through all the above over the years and used to think nothing of going into my local Peter Marks in Swords every 3wks to keep it styled.
    Out of pure curiosity one day 2yrs ago I got the electric razor and cut it down to No.1 before taking out my blade and going for the clean shaved slap-head. From minute one I loved it!
    After the initial shock from my mates they also agreed it was cool!
    Now no bed head or helmet head from my bike, a daily shave with 'King of Shaves' and moisturize and I'm ready to go!
    Not suited for everyone but thought I'd through the slap-head look in there!

Ps, the wife totally digs it - just be sure not to come across to strangers as a complete skin head though ;-) and buy a good hat for the winter!

Advertisement