Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3DS XL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

wampyrus77 wrote: »

Could you summarise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

I missed you wampryrus and your late posting.
    It's the Nintendo direct where they announce it and say it's coming July 28th. That's all.

dont buy iwata said today he cannot deny thats there me more remodels down the line

plus my 3ds has a nyko battery so no point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

http://www.3dsbuzz.com/3ds-xl/

3DS XL Overview

Main Feature: 90% larger screens, 86% longer battery life
    UK Price: Around £179.99
    NA Price: $199.99
    European and UK Release Date: July 28th
    NA Release Date: August 19th
    Colours: Silver (Europe only), Blue, Red
    Compatible with: 3DS, DSi and DS games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Galloway81

Preordered a red/black 3DS XL from Zavvi which is currently £167.95. Looking foward to it now there's actually a couple of games for the system I will care about. Cannot get enough of Mario platformers.

I assume when everyone is saying you could use an adaptor from a DSi, DSi XL or 3DS, that means the adaptor I got with my old DS phat would be no good?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

DS Phat uses a different connector to the DS Lite, which in turn is different from the DSi and 3DS

You can buy USB charger cables for peanuts - I have one with 3 heads for the 3 different DS connectors - plug it into your PC or Skybox or other powered USB port to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Charging anything off USB takes an eternity though. Best to just pick up a 3DS charger. They're not exactly expensive either anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

o1s1n wrote: »
    Charging anything off USB takes an eternity though. Best to just pick up a 3DS charger. They're not exactly expensive either anyway.

Not if you use a USB plug. I have one that came with an MP3 player, works fine for anything.

dont buy iwata said today he cannot deny thats there me more remodels down the line

plus my 3ds has a nyko battery so no point
    Of course there will, but those are years off.
    And the only reason to buy a 3DS XL is if you have bad eyesight.
    Otherwise you should be buying the cheaper 3DS.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I use a USB charger for my 3DS exclusively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kinski wrote: »
    Not if you use a USB plug. I have one that came with an MP3 player, works fine for anything.

That's totally different though as it's running off the AC power from the wall so can charge fast. USB from a PC or other device is slow.
    /\/ollog wrote: »
    I use a USB charger for my 3DS exclusively.

I couldn't put up with that to be honest. It's a trickle charge - just too slow.

Much rather plug it into an AC adapter and have it charged up fast.

Also I use a laptop on my lap, so cables coming out of it for hours on end are a no no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Are E-shop games not tied to a club nintendo account?

cloud493 wrote: »
    Are E-shop games not tied to a club nintendo account?

They are and they aren't.
    When you buy them, they'll show up in your list like you registered them, but you don't get points :( unlike in America and Japan.

But the games and content itself is locked to the hardware it's originally downloaded to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

For those wondering about chargers I got a AC Charger for my Ds lite in argos for €7 and it covers DS phat, Dsi, Ds lite, PSP, 3DS. Yeah its not official but it only cost €7.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    They are and they aren't.
    When you buy them, they'll show up in your list like you registered them, but you don't get points :( unlike in America and Japan.

But the games and content itself is locked to the hardware it's originally downloaded to.

Really? Damn :( its not that chargers are expensive, they're not really. Its the principle of not putting one in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

cloud493 wrote: »
    Really? Damn :( its not that chargers are expensive, they're not really. Its the principle of not putting one in.

+1`on this, I remember when all consoles came with two controllers and the best game on the system as well as various av cables, now they don't even come with a sodding PSU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

A lot of electronic goods are going that way. The Kindle doesn't come with a charger, just with the cable for connecting one.

And two controllers in the box...those were the days. Mario on the WiiU has five-way multiplayer, as if everyone will have four WiiRemotes handy (which they could've got round to some extent by making the Classic Controllers plug into the actual system rather than the bottom of a Remote.) I think I've played a simultaneous four-player mode once, and that was on the Dreamcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gamestop.ie have the 3DSXL charger up to preorder for €8 and the charging dock for €25, plus €2 extra postage. Their price for the console is €210 instore at the moment, I am hopeful Smyths or HMV will do it for €199.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The less crap you don't (or might not) want in the box, the lower the price tag, the easier it is for you to snag impulse buyers which make up a big chunk of Nintendo's new target audience. Arguably, if you're a nintendo fan you probably already have at least one of the DSi, DSi XL or 3DS - do you really want another charger? Do you actually use the charging stand? I'd happily ditch all of the manuals that go into the box for online media if it would knock a quid or two off the sticker. As for an included game, there's the AR stuff, thought they're idiots for not giving something cheap and cheerful away on the eShop so that everyone has a game.

The cost of the Wiimote controller would have destroyed the Wii's impulse appeal (if they'd bundled 2,3,4...). Frankly, the idea of bundling a Wiimote with a bunch of proof-of-concept Demos (WiiPlay) was a stroke of genius, as was the rolling out of MotionPlus using key games that probably looked like safe bets at the time (WiiSports Resort yes, Red Steel 2 and that EA tennis game not so much...). Not that it's a new idea - see the N64 Memory Pack and Donkey Kong 64.

The theory with the Wiimotes, by the way is that everyone will bring their own. They sort of fluffed it though, too few games make any use of the Wiimote's onboard storage at all never mind something innovative and inspiring, which was supposed to encourage you to carry it with you to a friend's house. You know, so you don't play with "a" wiimote, it's your wiimote. Hopefully there will be some way to use your 3DS as a surrogate controller on the Wii U to address this. Even a CPP-like dock that you can plug a classic controller into or something... Platform integration + some sort of unified online identity that ties you the person (not you the console) to your Nintendo account would go a long way to convincing me to buy a WiiU. *sigh*

But I digress. Ultimately they're going to be very sensitive about shipping the 3DSXL at a price that's too far above the 3DS after the price drop fiasco last august, so any pounds that can be shed to make that price a bit leaner are going on the chopping block.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Am I the only one who doesn't use the cradle for their 3DS? I just charge it when needed and then I just plug the charger directly into the 3DS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't use the cradle for their 3DS? I just charge it when needed and then I just plug the charger directly into the 3DS

Yeah I think I used it once ever, the first time I charged the 3ds, after that I never used it again. Seems like a completely pointless lump of plastic, don't know why it was included at all. :confused:

Gamestop had some advertising stuff outside today, price seems set at 209.99.

trade in 3ds for xl for 99 euro good deal tho you have to tade in a game also wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

trade in 3ds for xl for 99 euro good deal tho you have to tade in a game also wtf

Lets see bit a math here. They think my ol 3DS is worth what €85 assuming you get €25 on the game trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

GTR63 wrote: »
    Lets see bit a math here. They think my ol 3DS is worth what €85 assuming you get €25 on the game trade.

Smyths were offering €90 cash or €110 credit for a 3DS a couple of weeks ago not sure if that has dropped, Smyths would also have bundle offers on the XL so check them out too before comitting to Gamestops offer.

Smyths were offering €90 cash or €110 credit for a 3DS a couple of weeks ago not sure if that has dropped, Smyths would also have bundle offers on the XL so check them out too before comitting to Gamestops offer.

This. Symths almost always have higher trade in values/better bundles than Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pretty harsh Digital Foundry review on Eurogamer.

Content transfer from 3DS to XL looks like a nightmare. Putting me off the upgrade, TBH.... I have a lot of downloaded games that all have save data, so the prospect of losing my save games isn't a chance I'm willing to take at the moment.

Gamestop's trade in values

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

no store will let me do system tranfer so im not - im not losing my apps games video etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Gamestop let me do a transfer when I switched from DSi to 3DS.

Advertisement