Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eoinglancy

branches to stay open till 6.00 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

If this drags on for a few more days, people who are paid monthly will be pulled into it (their salaries should be processed on Thursday night).

Plus the second half of those paid every second week (including many public servants such as teachers etc).

If it is still not sorted by then the toxic PR (which will be kept in the headlines by compensation claims and legal actions) will mount to a level that the very future of "Ulster Bank" will be in question. A reband as "Natwest" may be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

We bank with UB. Two payments due in last Thursday haven't arrived. All bills & payments have been debited against the account.

We are today trying to figure out how many days notice my hubby's employer needs to cancel his wages banking arrangement (with another bank) and organise another bank account or cheque payment so we can have easier access to cash. Our branch is a 30 min car journey away. Not an issue when you have Internet banking & visa debit cards normally but now it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

eoinglancy wrote: »

only 80 branches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

skydish79 wrote: »
    eoinglancy wrote: »

only 80 branches
    And again not all of those in the Republic of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Ok folks.

I can now get into my commercial account online. All week it was letting me in, but giving me an error when I looked for the balance and transactions.

I can see the weeks EFT transactions all went in on one day, but the manual lodgements are not there (yet).

They seem to be getting there but work is still ongoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Ok folks.

I can now get into my commercial account online. All week it was letting me in, but giving me an error when I looked for the balance and transactions.

I can see the weeks EFT transactions all went in on one day, but the manual lodgements are not there (yet).

They seem to be getting there but work is still ongoing.
    i have the same account as you, showing error all week, onlytransaction til 20th june on my statement on line , should be alot more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Seriously?! if the system is down again and there's no resolution this is going to be the end of the bank

no it isn't, I think most reasonable people accept that its a genuine error that they are working to resolve as best they can. You are more likely to leave your wife/husband than your bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

Islander13 wrote: »
    no it isn't, I think most reasonable people accept that its a genuine error that they are working to resolve as best they can. You are more likely to leave your wife/husband than your bank

statement of the year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jethropool

Looks like they made a change to an IT system without a verified rollback plan. Amateur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Jethropool wrote: »

Looks like they made a change to an IT system without a verified rollback plan. Amateur.
    Seems to me that they do have a verified roll back system and it has worked. Anyone who has ever done a bare metal restore of a server with a lot of data will tell you how long it takes! I'm not saying that's what happened here however...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jethropool

testicle wrote: »
    Seems to me that they do have a verified roll back system and it has worked. Anyone who has ever done a bare metal restore of a server with a lot of data will tell you how long it takes! I'm not saying that's what happened here however...

Bollocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I transferred quite a large sum of money from my paypal to my bank account last week, it shows up as "completed" in paypal (usually only takes about 2 days for it to transfer) but when I log in to my online banking it is not there, is this because of the problems they are having or should I contact paypal? Any advice please? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Jethropool wrote: »
    Bollocks :)

I've a 3TB restore running here, and it has currently been running 4 days & 22 hours with 2 days 10 hours left, so it says. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dee. wrote: »
    I transferred quite a large sum of money from my paypal to my bank account last week, it shows up as "completed" in paypal (usually only takes about 2 days for it to transfer) but when I log in to my online banking it is not there, is this because of the problems they are having or should I contact paypal? Any advice please? :)

Seriously? Have you read any of the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭Tow

silentbang wrote: »
    MATHS QUESTION:
    If it takes 4 days -Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to get 3/4's done how can it take another 4 days to do the remaining 1/4???:confused:

Saturday and Sunday would have a low load on the mainframe(s), allowing them to clear more of the backlog than during mid week.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

dee. wrote: »

Dear XX,

On Jun 24, 2012, NAT WEST BANK PLC reported a problem with your bank account ending in XXXX.

Until the issue is resolved, you cannot use this bank account with PayPal to send or receive payments, or to withdraw money. Please contact NAT WEST BANK PLC to resolve this problem.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I have worked in Banks and one more than one occasion in the last 10 years a certain Irish Bank has had an identicle problem. Mainframe batch fails and has knock on effects that impact upon millions of transactions which delay debits and credits for thousands of customers.
    A major difference is that the problem was identified early and actions were taken to prevent the incident from escalating out of control. Mainframe technical teams and application teams were local and able to react immediately. Impact was felt for a day or so and it never made the headlines because it was well managed.
    This incident smacks of total incompetence, lack of technical expertise and a bank (RBS) who is more concerned with cutting back on its IT budget than its customers. I can garauntee you that NO heads will roll as a result of this incident. The people who decide on the banks IT strategy are the ones to blame, not the soldiers on the ground.
    Despite what RBS and UB say their main priority now will be to minimize costs to the bank in the form of claims by customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

To err is human ... but to really mess things up you need a computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 KittyG

Four days in and still no wages...like a briar

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blathanna

Im an UB customer and my Maternity Benefit which always comes in on Saturdays hasn't come in yet. The only proof that I have is a letter I received when I started Maternity. Funny thing is I took out 100 euro thursday and that came straight out of my account as it showed up right away on my online banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Still waiting on pay, what's as worse is the "available amount" in my account is dropping €7 or so a day and I havent been using the account, can't get any assistance from UB folk as they still can't be sure of the problem until everything is up and running again.

It's one thing to be left with no money but when your remaining pennies are being wittled away at it's rather frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

I have worked in Banks and one more than one occasion in the last 10 years a certain Irish Bank has had an identicle problem. Mainframe batch fails and has knock on effects that impact upon millions of transactions which delay debits and credits for thousands of customers.
    A major difference is that the problem was identified early and actions were taken to prevent the incident from escalating out of control. Mainframe technical teams and application teams were local and able to react immediately. Impact was felt for a day or so and it never made the headlines because it was well managed.
    This incident smacks of total incompetence, lack of technical expertise and a bank (RBS) who is more concerned with cutting back on its IT budget than its customers. I can garauntee you that NO heads will roll as a result of this incident. The people who decide on the banks IT strategy are the ones to blame, not the soldiers on the ground.
    Despite what RBS and UB say their main priority now will be to minimize costs to the bank in the form of claims by customers.

That's it exactly private companies have one goal to make money - if they inconvenience customers along the way then tough.

The media will just throw out what they are been fed by Ulster, won't ask any tough questions and the establishment will be content

Meanwhile customers and front line staff take the brunt

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Eblana12

Does anyone know if I will have to wait longer for UB cheques to clear through a BOI account? I lodged a cheque from a UB account to a BOI account last Tuesday, it normally takes 3 to 5 days for the funds to clear into my BOI account but can't see it even being presented on my UB account so I am not sure if I will be able to draw against it in BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If this drags on for a few more days, people who are paid monthly will be pulled into it (their salaries should be processed on Thursday night).

My employer's with UB and token access to €500 won't cut it...what should I do pre Thursday / Friday - Plan to be paid nothing?
    Get a hard copy of a payslip from your employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭eFlow: John

Hi all,

If anyone has any issues concerning their eFlow a/c and Ulster Bank (or any other bank) you can contact any of the eFlow reps here.

We would be happy to assist and advise,

Regards,

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

Any update on when this is likely to be resolved?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

blathanna wrote: »
    Im an UB customer and my Maternity Benefit which always comes in on Saturdays hasn't come in yet. The only proof that I have is a letter I received when I started Maternity. Funny thing is I took out 100 euro thursday and that came straight out of my account as it showed up right away on my online banking.

Yep, same for me. My salary was due in last Thursday, but still not appearing in my account balance this morning. However, withdrawals from ATM are being reflected in my balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

Any update on when this is likely to be resolved?? :(

End of the week, according to Ulster Bank's statements yesterday. But given that every estimate from them so far has been wrong, we could still be asking that question next Monday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement