Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel hauled 'Mystery Train' Sat 23rd June

Options
  • 17-06-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

The RPSI are running a 'Mystery Train' from Connolly next Saturday 23/6/12, featuring IÉ GM diesel haulage and the RPSI's Cravens carriages, including bar and snack cars.
    The Mystery Train
    Saturday 23rd June

Dublin - 'Mystery Desination' & return

Treat yourself to a diesel trip in vintage carriages from the early 1960s, travelling behind a vintage diesel to an unknown destination - have a guess where!

Depart Dublin Connolly Station 10:15am, returning at 7pm.

Fare: Adults €45, Concession €35.

Tickets can be purchased (over the counter) at:
    EBS Offices at Malahide, Drumcondra and Dun Laoghaire.
    Irish Rail, Pearse Station.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is an 071 'vintage'? On age alone perhaps but the fact that they're still in regular use for freight and PW work would suggest otherwise.

Or is there going to be something else up front?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

MYOB wrote: »
    Or is there going to be something else up front?

I wouldn't mind but the RPSI bought 141 and 142 and have done precisely nothing with them since their debut railtour. Why not use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Hungerford wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind but the RPSI bought 141 and 142 and have done precisely nothing with them since their debut railtour. Why not use them?

141 is currently stored in inchicore and 142 is the shunter in Whitehead. As far as I know neither is currently passed for mainline use, this is due to a number of reason including time and money. The long term plan is to have them returned to mainline use for rail tours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What needs to be cleared thought??
    That they wont break down¿¿

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

What needs to be cleared thought??
    That they wont break down¿¿

The Railway Safety Commission needs to be assured that they are safe for mainline use before they certify them to run on the mainline again as would the Department for Regional Development in the North. The in cab signaling (CAWS) and train protection (TPWS) would also need to be refitted, as well as train radio systems. Irish Rail and NIR would also want to know that the loco's are fit as well, given that they own the track and supply the train drivers and guard.

Lastly, the RPSI's insurers would rather like to hear that the engines are in fine fettle before they deem them fit for use :)

• Advertisement

Why was all the signalling and safety gear removed in the first place¿¿

They are removed from trains that won't run on the mainline network as they aren't needed. The kits are quite expensive so they would be used on other engines or railcars as spares. In the case of 141 and 142, they have no TPWS fitted, which is compulsory in the North so it would be required.

TPWS was never fitted and I am unsure of the status of the other equipment. The RPSI has to ensure that all the necessary equipment is in place and fully functional, and that all aspects of the locomotive are functioning safely. The 141s and 121 are going to need mechanical work before they are put back into use, while this is something we may not like it cannot be helped.

The RPSI has a very finite amount of resources and priority is given to mainline steam as these are our primary revenue generators. There is some movement towards putting these locomotives back into service but progress is slow and while unfortunate I do no see the situation changing drastically any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

MYOB wrote: »
    Is an 071 'vintage'?

No the coaches are vintage, passengers won't be traveling in the loco, btw I seen a blue 071 hauling a steam loco yesterday passing over the bridge at Balbriggan, anybody know anything about this, and Im not joking, didn't have too much booze Saturday night, took a picture with my phone just to prove I wasn't hallucinating, but it turned out fuzzy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    No the coaches are vintage, passengers won't be traveling in the loco, btw I seen a blue 071 hauling a steam loco yesterday passing over the bridge at Balbriggan, anybody know anything about this, and Im not joking, didn't have too much booze Saturday night, took a picture with my phone just to prove I wasn't hallucinating, but it turned out fuzzy

The quoted post says "vintage diesel" though.

Blue 071 = NIR 111 class. Could have been hauling an RPSI steam loco home maybe?

• Advertisement

That was NIR 112 hauling 186 from Dublin to Whitehead for repairs.
    You can see a video of it arriving in whitehead here

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I myself would consider an 071 to be vintage to a point,i guess,i mean they are going on 35 or 36 years at this stage and they are a serious beast of a loco and any chance to get behind one in a passenger train is always welcome.Of course getting behind a double headed 141 set would be even better but this won't be happening anytime soon as has been well explained above.I wonder will the day ever come again to get behind the last of the 121s??Pretty much guaranteed to never happen unfortunately

btw I seen a blue 071 hauling a steam loco yesterday passing over the bridge at Balbriggan, anybody know anything about this

I'd assume it's one of the 111s bringing 186 maybe?I havn't seen or heard anything about it but i'm sure someone in the know could shed a better light on it?

EDIT: The posters above got in ahead of me

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

As far as I know neither is currently passed for mainline use, this is due to a number of reason including time and money.

Did the RPSI tell the donors that before they obtained their funding for the locomotives?

It must have been a very interesting meeting:
    "Our plans, Mr Donor, are to purchase two fully-functioning mainline locomotives with all the necessary safety gear and clearances for the Republic of Ireland. We will then rip out the modern safety equipment and allow the clearances to expire. We shall then let the locomotives rot until we get tired of playing out our Thomas the Tank Engine fantasies"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Did the RPSI tell the donors that before they obtained their funding for the locomotives?

"Our plans, Mr Donor, are to purchase two fully-functioning mainline locomotives with all the necessary safety gear and clearances for the Republic of Ireland. We will then rip out the modern safety equipment and allow the clearances to expire. We shall then let the locomotives rot until we get tired of playing out our Thomas the Tank Engine fantasies"

Harsh. But fair .:D

We will then rip out the modern safety equipment
    I am not sure anything has been removed
    and allow the clearances to expire.
    That’s not much of an issue, its easy enough to get route clearance.

We would all like every piece of rolling stock the RPSI have to be in full running order, I mean who wouldn’t. The sad fact is that people are not prepared to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. As a result all of the work falls on a core group of volunteers to keep everything running. On an average weekend you will get 7-8 people who turn up an carry out work. For the last few years the majority of that groups work has been the overhaul and scheduled maintenance of the cravens as the primary running set, most days we start at 10 and finish about 6.

As I already said things are moving forward slowly, but they are moving. We all wish things could move faster but as with a lot of preservation things move slowly because you are solely relying on volunteers who are generally only available to work on weekends due to work and family commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I think it's fair to say that buying a vehicle is one thing; maintaining it another kettle of fish altogether. The actual purchase of a vehicle is just the tip of the iceberg. Manpower and restoration/upkeep funding doesn't appear out of thin air; many preservation groups have a hard time coming up with enough bodies to maintain their bread and butter stock before even thinking about extras. As in many walks of life, the best way to try get something done is to offer help.

I've often thought about volunteering for the RPSI or DCDR - I'm just not entirely sure what I could offer. :o

Karsini wrote: »
    I've often thought about volunteering for the RPSI or DCDR - I'm just not entirely sure what I could offer. :o

If all you can offer is a pair of hands that is very welcome. When I started with the RPSI I had no experience of working in a railway environment but you will be taught everything you need to know. The only requirements for joining is a pair of steel toed boots and current RPSI membership (for insurance purposes).

I am not sure what the requirements for the DCDR are but I would imagine they are similar. I know there are a few working volunteers who post here, they should be provide more info.

I am not sure what the requirements for the DCDR are but I would imagine they are similar. I know there are a few working volunteers who post here, they should be provide more info.

Yep, hard boots and HVV is what's needed; it's the same as per RPSI with the exception of one or two admin jobs.

As it is a standalone railway with it's own operational licence, you can drive or work as a shunter/guard a train in Downpatrick or also you can work on Per Way. Asides from that, there are carriage and engine restoring projects on site, and on some vehicles that are far older than the RPSI running stock.

I have the steel toed boots, no problem there. :) My only issue with the DCDR is that it's a bit out of the way for me as I live in Dublin and don't drive. Still, I'd love to do whatever I can.

• Advertisement

Join up first off and then we can see about getting you into some role. I'm in the same boat as you and they understand that I can't be there all the time, as is the case with many other of the staff there.

Not sure how many tickets are left but there are some.
    THE MYSTERY TRAIN - UPDATE

Diesel Excursion

Saturday 23rd June

Dublin - mystery destination & return - depart Dublin Connolly Station 10:15am, returning at 7pm.

Tickets will be available to purchase on the day, Adults €45, Concession €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

It's a shame that voluntary organisations are obliged to purchase items they cannot use since the State values them not a jot and would turn them into razor blades to satisfy the bean counters and those who deem a proper national transport museum a "frill".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

If any1 is going on the tour plaese get some photos of the 071when in Galway.

An 071 and mk2 stock just went by my house...was that the tour??
    Didnt seem to be many on it

An 071 and mk2 stock just went by my house...was that the tour??
    Didnt seem to be many on it

I should hope not, we sent out an 086 and a set of cravens:P. But yes that sounds like the tour

I should hope not, we sent out an 086 and a set of cravens:P. But yes that sounds like the tour

Lol i didnt ssee the coaches well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I would have love to go on that tour, but didn't know where it was going as it was a mystery, just heard it went to Galway, also hear some of the train spotters had problems taking pictures in Galway station by a security man from Brinks Security, Brinks Security seem to turn a blind eye to this train spotter without a brain in Connolly station last Sunday morning http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2012-Photos/June-2012/23310780_mVmcVR#!i=1911248408&k=KVPjnVq&lb=1&s=X2 a law for some and no law for others, probably works for Irish Rail, climbing a signal post to take a snap then posting it up on the internet, a trainspotter without a brain is a very dangerous creature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Cracking photos all the same. God be with the days when railway enthusiasts (like myself) were given free rein to wander about Connolly yard as long as we had viz vests. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Chrisplayfair

Judgement Day - Thanks for your kind comments

Re comments made by Sligo Quay - First of all Brinks Security do not work on Connolly station. It is STT (A trainspotter with a brain would have known this)

Secondly, I am unable to understand what picture you are talking about - The link takes you to a picture of 4001 at GVS???? I was standing on my own to feet on the platform....Talk about brains!

Link to photos from Connolly yesterday including the diesel tour -
    http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2012-Photos/June-2012/23310780_mVmcVR#!i=1923987080&k=Sk9bGT6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement