Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist Alexander Aan jailed today in Indonesia

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    i thanked the o.p. , i know why i thanked it ,and i know what was in that o.p.! i didnt fully agree with.
    Lucy - your next content-free post will be deleted and further moderator action may be taken if you continue your content-free posting beyond that.

A+A is a forum where people are expected to contribute to the debate, so please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Lucy, I accept that you sincerely believe that the original post was edited, but you are mistaken in this belief.

If you tell me what phrase you believe was in the original post, that you didn’t fully agree with, I will give you my opinion of that phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Conspiracy.jpg

Joking aside Michael, as much as I admire your dedication I feel you are wasting your time with this particular poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

While some atheists are happy enough in just "not believing" themselves, there are others like Michael who feel a moral imperative to help others relieve themselves of their mistaken beliefs :)

recedite wrote: »
    While some atheists are happy enough in just "not believing" themselves, there are others like Michael who feel a moral imperative to help others relieve themselves of their mistaken beliefs :)

That is a pretty darn weird response to the situation in the OP...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lucy, I accept that you sincerely believe that the original post was edited, but you are mistaken in this belief.

Well, not just this belief.

Maybe God edited the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Protest for Indonesian Man Jailed for Atheism This Friday in New York City.
    “Being an atheist should not be a crime,” declares International Secular Organization

Indonesia’s unjust imprisoning of atheist Alexander Aan will be protested by an international secular organization at the Indonesian Consulate in New York City this Friday.

Subsequent to declaring his atheism and posting satirical material critical of Islam on Facebook, thirty-year-old Alexander Aan, a civil servant in West Sumatra, was attacked and beaten by an angry mob on January 18, 2012, and then arrested by Indonesian authorities for the crimes of blasphemy and encouraging atheism. On June 14 he was convicted of “inciting religious hatred,” with a sentence of two and a half years in prison and a fine of over $10,000(US).

The Center for Inquiry (CFI), a leading international organization advocating for science, reason, and secular values, will protest Aan’s imprisonment outside the Indonesian Consulate in New York City on Friday, July 6, at 12:30 p.m. EST and is encouraging all those who believe in basic human freedoms to take part in this demonstration.

“Being an atheist should not be a crime,” declared Ronald A. Lindsay, president and CEO of CFI. “The only crime here is that which the Indonesian government has perpetrated against Alexander Aan. The persecution of any person simply for exercising his or her freedom to speak and believe—or not believe—as he or she chooses is unacceptable, and we will not be silent until Alex has his freedoms restored.”

CFI, which opposes any restrictions on the freedoms of expression and belief, has been working to gather support for Aan since his arrest, circulating petitions to the Indonesian government and demanding Aan’s release both in a letter to the country’s ambassador and by a demonstration outside the Indonesian Embassy in Washington last month.

WHAT: Protest of the Imprisonment of Alexander Aan WHERE: Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia, 5 East 68th Street, New York WHEN: Friday, July 6, 2012, at 12:30 p.m. EST. WHO: Organized by the Center for Inquiry, including CFI Director of the Office of Public Policy Michael De Dora, CFI NYC branch Executive Director Stephanie Le Roy, CFI–Canada Director Michael Payton, and others TBA. Further details here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Galvasean wrote: »
    That is a pretty darn weird response to the situation in the OP...
    It was a response to;
    Galvasean wrote: »
    I feel you are wasting your time with this particular poster.
    In response to the OP I sent off e-mails and listed the contact for the Indonesian Consul (in post #3) :p

recedite wrote: »
    It was a response to;

In response to the OP I sent off e-mails and listed the contact for the Indonesian Consul (in post #3) :p

I understand now.

*fiddles thumbs*

Uh, carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

o.k. rob and michael,

i deeply appreciate the way you two are trying to handle this. it is a credit to both. ill drop the secondary issue ( as it seems to me)

galvasean,

whats the conspiracy here? the last question i asked you was regarding wheter you felt yourself hindered by law or frustration. you never replied.

you know , sean,...i have a great sense of humour, and kids not far of your age...im not great on a computer....but if i wanted, i could get my kids to help me bring up one off pictures to take the piss out of you.

its easy ,...aint it.

having a laugh.

michael nugent has handled himself with dignity here....

dont let him down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Irish Islamic Vanguard made the point that he wants to be allowed to marry more than one wife. Nobody seems to have answered the question why shouldn't this be allowed? Can someone tell me why this restriction is in place and if you support it or think it should be removed.

[...] allowed to marry more than one wife. Nobody seems to have answered the question why shouldn't this be allowed
    Polyandry and polygamy are both fine with me, so long as there's no coercion involved and that, post-marriage, equality of rights and responsibilities is guaranteed.

Though in reality, there would probably have to be mandatory age limits to block persistent attempts by the religious to coerce impressionable, brainwashed children into polygamous "marriages" as, for example, the FLDS and various strains of islam permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Irish Islamic Vanguard made the point that he wants to be allowed to marry more than one wife. Nobody seems to have answered the question why shouldn't this be allowed? Can someone tell me why this restriction is in place and if you support it or think it should be removed.

I'm easy with it, as long as the usual principles are followed, equal inheritance rights for the children etc.

Alexander has sent a message from prison thanking his supporters around the world, saying that he would feel alone without our support and love.

Thanks to everyone here who has sent him a message. If you haven't yet done so, you can send Alexander a message via Atheist Alliance International.

Message from Alexander and how you can help

I'll put this here instead of starting a new thread.

You may be aware of the case of Asia Bibi, a Christian mother who is jailed in Pakistan for blasphemy and who has been sentenced to execution by hanging.

Her conviction also led to the murder of two Pakistani politicians who publicly supported her: the Punjab governor and the Minorities Minister, who was the only Christian in the Government.

Asia is now three years in jail, and I have written an overview of her case along with contact details of groups who are campaigning for her release.

It also includes a link to a new campaign song, Free Asia Bibi, which has just been released by ooberfuse feat Wizard MC.

Blasphemy law victim Asia Bibi still jailed and facing execution in Pakistan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭SeanW

I wonder what irishconvert or Irish Islamic Vanguards have to say about this?

SeanW wrote: »
    I wonder what irishconvert or Irish Islamic Vanguards have to say about this?
    The silence so far has a certain eloquence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

You're the only one who cares what anyone thanks.

im guessing you are implying that i care what anyone thanks.

its quite the opposite. a little provocation from me sent the leader of an organistion on a thanks mission.

i give allegiance to no organistaion....ill question all of them....and agree or disagree where i see fit. i find truths and mistruths in all.

if you think i care about thanks....you should check out my posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

He shoulda stayed out of THEIR country if he didn't wanna abide by their rules. He enjoyed the benefits of a cheaper currency to the euro when he was spending it, now he's crying when he ends up in jail for breaking their laws.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

Globalization is sick and only sheep and murdering globalist lunatics condone and support it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    He shoulda stayed out of THEIR country if he didn't wanna abide by their rules. He enjoyed the benefits of a cheaper currency to the euro when he was spending it, now he's crying when he ends up in jail for breaking their laws.
    He's Indonesian, meaning it's his country too.

Globalization is sick and only sheep and murdering globalist lunatics condone and support it.
    johnjoe, thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts upon some recent social, political and economic trends. Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Charter and familiarize yourself with the Dialectic before posting any more. Cheers.

robindch wrote: »
    johnjoe, thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts upon some recent social, political and economic trends. Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Charter and familiarize yourself with the Dialectic before posting any more. Cheers.

Looking at his profile he is banned from boards.ie bu still online...
    Another re-reg perhaps?

^^^ Yeah, shoulda looked before posting. He's been sitebanned for a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    You're the only one who cares what anyone thanks.

im guessing you are implying that i care what anyone thanks.

its quite the opposite. a little provocation from me sent the leader of an organistion on a thanks mission.

i give allegiance to no organistaion....ill question all of them....and agree or disagree where i see fit. i find truths and mistruths in all.

if you think i care about thanks....you should check out my posts.

I have read your posts. You frequently refer to the number of thanks other posts get. You've even done it in this post. You obviously think it has some relevance on the discussion whether a post has thanks underneath it or not. It doesn't.

No-one else cares.

Just a quick update on the campaign in support of Alex, and how you can help.

Five ways you can help Alex Aan, who is jailed in Indonesia for blasphemy on Facebook

Advertisement