Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung SSD 830 2.5inch SATA III 256GB (€218 delivered from Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Most likely you would not, Most manufacturers dont give you a CD anymore!

AFAIK http://digitalrivercontent.net/ is who MS use to distribute the OS for online purchases? Could be wrong. Someone could clarify this

Yeah or use this and copy to a USB, Much quicker and saves on the dvds

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Most likely you would not, Most manufacturers dont give you a CD anymore!

AFAIK http://digitalrivercontent.net/ is who MS use to distribute the OS for online purchases? Could be wrong. Someone could clarify this

Ive googled it, seems to be the right site to download it from. Thanks.

So if i put in the SSD blank and turn on the laptop what happens? Will i be prompted to put in the DVD or USB stick with the ISO i have downloaded?

It would tell you that no OS is installed and prompt you to insert media (Could be phrased differently depending on your bios!)

It would tell you that no OS is installed and prompt you to insert media (Could be phrased differently depending on your bios!)

I downloaded a file from mydigitallife.com it was supposed to be 3.1gb but it finished at 876mb does this sound wrong?

Ive started downloading the one that you linked to me anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah, The file should download fully

The md5 checksum for the file should be:
    da319b5826162829c436306bebea7f0f

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

sawfish wrote: »
    I downloaded a file from mydigitallife.com it was supposed to be 3.1gb but it finished at 876mb does this sound wrong?

Ive started downloading the one that you linked to me anyway.

Just use the digital river link you were directed to earlier.
    It's an official Microsoft download partner site!

Link

EDIT: Thanks for the links teddy, gonna need them myself, as plan to do a clean install like sawfish and I can't find my original backup disc! :pac:

Yeah, The file should download fully

The md5 checksum for the file should be:
    da319b5826162829c436306bebea7f0f

md5 checksum? Hmm first ive heard of it, what program do you use to check this checksum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

md5 checksum? Hmm first ive heard of it, what program do you use to check this checksum?

I use the Microsoft FCIV tool - works for anything that has an MD5 checksum provided. Just run it from directory and point at the file and it will produce the checksum value for you to compare.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is turning into more of a windows support thread rather than a BA...

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    [

Just use the digital river link you were directed to earlier.
    It's an official Microsoft download partner site!

Link

EDIT: Thanks for the links teddy, gonna need them myself, as plan to do a clean install like sawfish and I can't find my original backup disc! :pac:

Sorry to continue the windows 7 support theme..but its about the product on offer..:)

The windows install failed.. considering just using the Norton ghost. What are the drawbacks of not doing a fresh install?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

When did you run into problems with installing windows?

Monotype wrote: »
    When did you run into problems with installing windows?

I installed the ssd.. then tried to install windows with the Dvd i had burned (burned using the windows 7 usb download tool)

The process of starting the installation began, but stopped a few mins in.. said the file might be corrupt or something like that (cant remember exactly)

When i rebooted the computer it said "boot manager not found".. this makes me worried.

Ive put the old hard drive back in and am now making another dvd copy using a panosonic dvd disc (last attempt was using a tesco dvd...bad quality?)

Would i be better off using a flash drive?? (i cant find mine but i can prob get a lend)

Im considering just using the norton ghost at this stage but im worried about the "boot manager not found" message that i talked about earlier.

Did the download finish fully, The checksum verification pass and the disc burning reach to the end?

Did the download finish fully, The checksum verification pass and the disc burning reach to the end?

The download finished as did the burning..

I have only checked the checksum now... it is not what a previous post said it should be .. (see file attached)

I have now burned a copy on the panosonic dvd should i try this?

Give us a minute, Downloading the file now to double check the checksum

Yeah, Looks like something happened to the download!

teddy@server:~$ wget http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso
    --2012-07-10 17:31:18-- http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso
    Resolving msft.digitalrivercontent.net (msft.digitalrivercontent.net)... 81.52.201.67, 81.52.201.18
    Connecting to msft.digitalrivercontent.net (msft.digitalrivercontent.net)|81.52.201.67|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 3320903680 (3.1G) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `X17-58997.iso'

100%[====================================>] 3,320,903,680 3.16M/s in 12m 11s

2012-07-10 17:43:30 (4.33 MB/s) - `X17-58997.iso' saved [3320903680/3320903680]

teddy@server:~$ md5sum X17-58997.iso
    da319b5826162829c436306bebea7f0f X17-58997.iso
    teddy@server:~$ sha1sum X17-58997.iso
    6c9058389c1e2e5122b7c933275f963edf1c07b9 X17-58997.iso

Seems your checksum differs!
    You could try downloading it again.

Might also help to change the link to be https:// instead of http://
    Doing it over https will help prevent the file getting corrupt (Will be a teeny bit slower though)
    You'll get a warning that the certificate is invalid, just ignore that!

Thanks for checking that Teddy. Took hours to download that with my slow internet.

What are the main benefits of a fresh install? I mean is it really worthwhile for me?

Edit..I tried a CD with a bootleg copy of windows I got years ago(prob not64bit) and I'm still getting the message "BOOTMGR is missing..press ctrl alt del to restart"

I mite just give up and try the data migration

I'm not entirely sure of the benefits, I think it's just how windows lays itself out and configures itself on an SSD is slightly different than how it does so on an HDD

When you tried the old cd you had did you actually boot from it?

I'm not entirely sure of the benefits, I think it's just how windows lays itself out and configures itself on an SSD is slightly different than how it does so on an HDD

When you tried the old cd you had did you actually boot from it?

No i did not boot from it i got the same message "BOOTMGR is missing..press ctrl alt del to restart"

Now norton ghost isnt working...Failure "cannot read drive properties":mad:

• Advertisement

I installed the ssd.. then tried to install windows with the Dvd i had burned (burned using the windows 7 usb download tool)

The process of starting the installation began, but stopped a few mins in.. said the file might be corrupt or something like that (cant remember exactly)

When i rebooted the computer it said "boot manager not found".. this makes me worried.

Ive put the old hard drive back in and am now making another dvd copy using a panosonic dvd disc (last attempt was using a tesco dvd...bad quality?)

Would i be better off using a flash drive?? (i cant find mine but i can prob get a lend)

Im considering just using the norton ghost at this stage but im worried about the "boot manager not found" message that i talked about earlier.

The version you get with the usb download tool should only be used with a flash drive I believe, not burned to disc :)

No i did not boot from it i got the same message "BOOTMGR is missing..press ctrl alt del to restart"

Is the hard drive actually connected or are you trying to run ghost on the ssd?

Is the hard drive actually connected or are you trying to run ghost on the ssd?

Running ghost with the original hard drive. Hadn't attached the ssd using the adapter ..ill try that (assumed it would prompt me to do that )

The version you get with the usb download tool should only be used with a flash drive I believe, not burned to disc :)
    I downloaded the tool separately. There is an option within the tool for flash and dvd

Running ghost with the original hard drive. Hadn't attached the ssd using the adapter ..ill try that (assumed it would prompt me to do that )

But when you tried to reinstall windows did you attempt to do it on the HDD or the SSD

But when you tried to reinstall windows did you attempt to do it on the HDD or the SSD

SSD..

im downloading windows from an earlier link in this thread..ill see what happens then. Norton ghost not working for me for some reason.

I downloaded the tool separately. There is an option within the tool for flash and dvd

My apologies! :)

Did you get it working?

My apologies! :)

Did you get it working?

No...I just tried it with a usb flash drive and it was the same as with the disk..expands windows files to about 27% and then fails :(

No...I just tried it with a usb flash drive and it was the same as with the disk..expands windows files to about 27% and then fails :(

A couple of points that might help you!

The SSD should be formatted and use the file system NTFS.
    When trying to install Windows to the SSD, make sure it is the only drive connected to the PC. E.g. disconnect the HDD and put the SSD in that drive bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I hope you're downloading the right version that you need - e.g., professional or home premium. It won't make any difference to it installing but just so as you have the right license.

For long downloads like that, Opera browser is great as you can resume downloads if you lose the connection.

Edit: Before you install, go to the BIOS and select AHCI mode under hard drives. This should give better speeds with the SSD. Sometimes it can cause problems if it is not enabled or is enabled.

Advertisement