Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Physics...Before/After**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Is anyone else doing OL Physics? Not looking for predictions or anything, I'm just curious because I seem to be one of the few. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭robbiep94

Is anyone else doing OL Physics? Not looking for predictions or anything, I'm just curious because I seem to be one of the few. :)

i imagine there would be a few;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Well actually you can leave out mechanics but definitely not the experiments. The thing is you may get a question and a half on mechanics, then you'll be left with no choice. Leave out heat, light and waves or something.

Well actually you can leave out mechanics but definitely not the experiments. The thing is you may get a question and a half on mechanics, then you'll be left with no choice. Leave out heat, light and waves or something.

Just do everything as the people who wrote the syllabus wanted:D

robbiep94 wrote: »
    Just do everything as the people who wrote the syllabus wanted:D

Well, the physics paper is made in a way that you can leave out one whole section and get away with it. Better learn off 5 out of six sections really well and only answer on them then to answer 4 well and half answer another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

This has to be my biggest regret. I hate physics. I was so screwed for the mocks so I looked up (i really didn't want to) what was coming up and guess what?? I STILL FAILED!!!

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    This has to be my biggest regret. I hate physics. I was so screwed for the mocks so I looked up (i really didn't want to) what was coming up and guess what?? I STILL FAILED!!!

You'll be grand :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

one particle of unobtanium has a nuclear reaction with the flux capacitor, carry the two, changing its atomic isotope into a radioactive spider. FCUK YOU SCIENCE!
    screen-shot-2012-03-06-at-21-29-31.png?w=529

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

That' s probably not a good option to leave out mechanics. It's the backbone of the course and is a garanted question 6. Think again before deciding to leave it out.

We never ever covered any of it. I don't think I can study all of the Mechanics over the weekend. I know the Mechanics experiments though.

And I don't know, I didn't know much electricity or any mechanics and I still got an A1 in Honours in the mock. It can get you through, although a bit risky because you may find yourself only being able to do 4 questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

I think the best advice for physics is know what each variable on formulas mean. Once you know that it becomes easy. Write down what the question gives you, even the inconspicuous things like "starts from rest" which translates to u = 0, then all you have to do is find which formula best suits the data you have. I even think theres a couple of pages in the tables telling what the symbols means. Where would we be without those magnificent tables.

• Advertisement

Wanchor wrote: »
    Where would we be without those magnificent tables.

So handy for Question 5, when they ask all these simple calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

subz3r0 wrote: »
    We never ever covered any of it. I don't think I can study all of the Mechanics over the weekend. I know the Mechanics experiments though.

And I don't know, I didn't know much electricity or any mechanics and I still got an A1 in Honours in the mock. It can get you through, although a bit risky because you may find yourself only being able to do 4 questions.

definitely not too late to learn mechanics
    you have your formulas and the rest is general common sense
    less stress more success condenses the entire mechanics section into 4 pages.

paddyhes wrote: »
    definitely not too late to learn mechanics
    you have your formulas and the rest is general common sense
    less stress more success condenses the entire mechanics section into 4 pages.

ya but that book is useless not enough detail at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

What's the best way to study physics? Sit down and learn notes? Help, I struggle with Physics real bad!

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    What's the best way to study physics? Sit down and learn notes? Help, I struggle with Physics real bad!
    Read the content, and UNDERSTAND it. Then Try questions and learning off what each symbol means in the log books. ONce you have that done you're away with it.

Oh ands learn off graphs.

well theres a real good thing on eircom study hub if you have it?? it great it goes over everything and there is visual learning:D otherwise its old-fashioned study with the book.

Ok thanks guys. :) and I hate electricity, will I be safe if I don't focus on it as much as other topics?

Ok thanks guys. :) and I hate electricity, will I be safe if I don't focus on it as much as other topics?

If you learn everything else apart from electricity/magnetism you will be alright.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    If you learn everything else apart from electricity/magnetism you will be alright.

Actually I hate physics itself!

Actually I hate physics itself!

good luck with the study:D

• Advertisement

Thanks robbie, you too. :)

How do you know my name:rolleyes:;)

How do you know my name:rolleyes:;)

Haha guessed it from the username. Hope I'm right. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mr. Tambourine Man

For the 20 millionth time, this site and especially this page, is savage

http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie/leavingcertphysicsrevision.html

You can save all those documents as PDFs instead of printing them out very easily by doing

Save as
    Save as type
    PDF

I find printing off the syllabus useful also..

Now to actually learn everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

4 days to learn the course.
    For electricity I'm only doing capacitance, since that hasn't been up in ages. For mechanics, I dunno if I'll do anything. **** it.
    I'll learn the exps really well, I'll know modern, particle, heat, waves/sound/light really well and I'll hope q5 is alright. From looking at most of the past papers, you could get away without doing mechanics and electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

Make sure you know Simple pendulum experiment, G by free fall and the forces experiment.

Heat experiment is due to come up. They always have a heat question one year, then heat experiment the next and so on. Worth looking at them. Remember, experiments are worth 30% and they are fairly predictable and easy 30% so look over all of them.

Is the particle physics option worth it? My teacher didn't do it with us but he gave us the notes- looks fairly daunting but I've heard the questions aren't that bad. How long does it take to do it approximately?

As well, I haven't touched physics since morning, I'm just so scared of it. :( where should I start? Gahhhh! I'm a confused soul :/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

Is the particle physics option worth it? My teacher didn't do it with us but he gave us the notes- looks fairly daunting but I've heard the questions aren't that bad. How long does it take to do it approximately?

As well, I haven't touched physics since morning, I'm just so scared of it. :( where should I start? Gahhhh! I'm a confused soul :/

For the mock I learnt the definitions and Experiments first. They're worth roughly half the exam depending on the questions you do. The definitions also help you to understand some of the questions asked on the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

Experiments are 30% and I heard definitions are usually 10-14%, so you could get a pass if you get full marks in them.

Advertisement