Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Physics...Before/After**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

My emotions are all over the place with this exam. One minute I feel like I'm going to fail and the next, I'm going to kick ass. No idea really at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

Hey, I don't suppose anyone would like to tell me what formulae are not in the log tables? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I feel like I'm finished but I've two exams left :( This attitude is definitely not conducive to efficient cramming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

The Holland and Portugal game is too exiting to cram physics :(

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Wesc. wrote: »
    Ara fuck it I'll get up at 6 tomorrow and have a 2 and 1/2 hour cramming sesh on everything apart from electricity! It's taken up half my day doing it today ffs :/

Is anyone doing HL here going for an A1?
    I am, got one in the pre, before we had covered magnetism, just need to look over a couple of the derivations and I should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Plonker!

ei.sderob wrote: »
    I was just looking at S.H.M and it's grand like but I was just wondering, in the derivation of proving that Hooke's law executes S.H.M how does -K/m = -omega squared? I mean it's an easy derivation but does anybody know WHY this is the case? It's not relevant to the exam but I just kinda want to know for myself:P

This was annoying me too! If you simplify the units of w=sqrt(k/m) i.e sqrt((N m^-1)/kg) = sqrt((kg m m^-1 s^-2)/kg) = sqrt(s^-2) = s^-1 as in per second(the kg/kg and m*m^-1 both simplify to 1).
    So this implies units of w (omega) are per second? But angular velocity is rad/s, and it has to be radians in the units because you can use that value in the simple harmonic motion equation(applied maths):

x=(amplitude)sin(w*time) and the "w*time" has to equal radians so it you can evaluate the sine thingy... Can anyone tell me where the radians come from?

Edit: Wikipedia says its "angular frequency" not angular velocity, but that still makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Would I be okay revising
    -Mechanics
    -Nuclear and Atomic
    -Particle Physics
    -Heat

and the experiments obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

donvito99 wrote: »
    Would I be okay revising
    -Mechanics
    -Nuclear and Atomic
    -Particle Physics
    -Heat

That's what I'm doing. Throw in some stuff on the electron/modern physics (xrays/photoemission etc) and you're covered (at least I hope :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Would I be okay revising
    -Mechanics
    -Nuclear and Atomic
    -Particle Physics
    -Heat

Jesus that's risky :L But since nuclear and atomic was only half a question last year (I think) I'd say you'd just about get away with it! Provided you do question 5.

Jesus that's risky :L But since nuclear and atomic was only half a question last year (I think) I'd say you'd just about get away with it! Provided you do question 5.

Yeah I'll do a question 5. Just lookin for a deacent C so. Cheers guys.

• Advertisement

I'm answering all the questions in the exam :S Apart from one experiment and probably the light/sound question.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

Ara fuck it I'll get up at 6 tomorrow and have a 2 and 1/2 hour cramming sesh on everything apart from electricity! It's taken up half my day doing it today ffs :/

Is anyone doing HL here going for an A1?

Me

Would I be okay revising
    -Mechanics
    -Nuclear and Atomic
    -Particle Physics
    -Heat

My section b prediction is

q5 shorts
    q6 mechanics
    q7 light ( no full q last year and the experiments are poiting towards heat and waves)
    q8 anything electricity
    q9 magnetism/nuclear/electron ( any one from these)
    q10 option
    q11 magnetism/nuclear/electron (any other one from these)
    q12 anything really but mechanics and electricity are certain.

Edit: so in answer to your question you might not get a full paper to your suiting. unless heat comes up in q 12 and you can answer all the short questions.

If you square 40cm is the answer 0.16 or 40x10^-4? I can't get this, the book says the latter :confused:

If you square 40cm is the answer 0.16 or 40x10^-4? I can't get this, the book says the latter :confused:

40 cm = 0.4 m

so the square of 40cm in m^2 is 0.16 m^2

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Get ready for a roller coaster of a paper this year lads. Judgement day is almost upon us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I feel like the leaving is already done but i've still 2 more exams :/

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Get ready for a roller coaster of a paper this year lads. Judgement day is almost upon us
    The physics paper is never really truly horrendous, there are always a lot of options (provided you cover everything)

RedTexan wrote: »
    The physics paper is never really truly horrendous, there are always a lot of options (provided you cover everything)

Even if you leave out electricity and magnetism you still get at lest 6 questions in section b to do. So and adept knowledge of the course will give you lots of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

So not looking forward to this :( who wants to write my exam number on their paper? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Would it be ok to leave magnetism out? I presume so, but just to be sure...

treely wrote: »
    Would it be ok to leave magnetism out? I presume so, but just to be sure...

Of course it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Good luck tomorrow guys. :) I'm actually really excited for this paper cause it's my last exam. :D Hope it goes well for all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

When the timetable came out I was delighted because hey! I'd have four whole days before physics. Turns out that was the worst decision of my life -.-

I'm hoping for a high B. We got three physics mocks since February; the first one I got 47%, second I got 60% and third one I got 73%, so lets hope I go up another grade this time too!

Got 63% at Christmas and 61% in the mock. Hoping for a high C though, I now understand more things and am hoping to cram all night, rest Monday afternoon, and start all over again for economics!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I'm so screwed for Physics. I not counting on it for points but I would still like to do well in it. I'm thinking about dropping down to ordinary because for the past two years I have been doing higher but never really studied much for it, really I only ever done my physics homework whenever it was given. So ordinary would be the smart option for me :pac:

I need an A1 in this tomorrow, so understandably I'm quite nervous :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

Is anyone here just hoping to pass the HL?
    I am definitely more linguistic than physicsy, anyone else with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I need an A1 in this tomorrow, so understandably I'm quite nervous :pac:

I need anything from a B1 upwards tomorrow and I'm not doing Mechanics or Electricity so I'm understandably nervous too :pac:

Just did 2009 paper giving myself 3 hours (had an hour to spare at the end heh), got 95% without knowing any mechanics (bar experiments) or electricity.

I CAN get away with it, depends on the questions. The document question better be on Japan's nuclear accident! I want as many modern physics/particle physics questions as possible.

• Advertisement

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    Is anyone here just hoping to pass the HL?
    I am definitely more linguistic than physicsy, anyone else with me?

I am also more linguistic than physic-y!:p Dunno why I EVER chose Physics. It has bored the shoite outta me for a solid two years now.

But tomorrow, it will all be over, FOREVER!

Advertisement