Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of loose change in tesco self service machines (i.e. commision free)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Aldi took 42 euro in coin? Bagged?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I fix the self service tills in most supermarkets and no 1 issue is coin jams, idiots trying to feed to many coins into a machine that is only designed to sort through a handful of coins, btw if you jam them up in tesco's your not getting them back! The lads doing this look a bit sad spending 20 minutes feeding in coins and having them rejected, also checkout managers are telling staff to stop people using self service till's who are paying with bags or jars of coins.
    Anyway just letting you know I don't mind as keeps me in a job :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Aldi took 42 euro in coin? Bagged?

No loose, I had a box of coins and kept handing them to the operator (we were both very quick adding it up) and i had all the smaller coins already used up during the day so they were larger denomination, she never even batted an eyelid

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

I fix the self service tills in most supermarkets and no 1 issue is coin jams, idiots trying to feed to many coins into a machine that is only designed to sort through a handful of coins

Hmmm ...,
    maybe the engineers should have designed the machines to cope with the things people will commonly do. Feeding fistfuls of coins to a machine like this is perfectly foreseeable by an engineer who is not an idiot inexperienced.

On the other hand, looking to save 10% by perfectly legal means does not make any consumer an idiot. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

KM88 wrote: »
    maybe the engineers should have designed the machines to cope with the things people will commonly do.
    +1, they should not have such a large funnel/basket which is inviting people to throw lots of coins in. Or could have another simple feature, like opening a sprung hatch if the weight of the coins in the chute is too much.

The store managers are the biggest idiots though, not putting up a sign warning not to dump 10+ in at a time.

I did jam it, and did get my stuck coins back, and my total was intact.

• Advertisement

KM88 wrote: »
    Hmmm ...,
    maybe the engineers should have designed the machines to cope with the things people will commonly do. Feeding fistfuls of coins to a machine like this is perfectly foreseeable by an engineer who is not an idiot inexperienced.

On the other hand, looking to save 10% by perfectly legal means does not make any consumer an idiot. :mad:

Nah it's the customers who jam up the machines with jars and bags of coins and when it freezes with all of their cash in the machine and expect it back they will be in for a shock as your not getting it back, I take the change out clear the blockage usually a bent coin and put them back into the machine to test it, did one on Friday and 11 euros worth of coins went back in all for Tesco's bottom line :rolleyes:
    It shouldn't be allowed! not that staff care it's the customers behind waiting to use the machines I feel sorry for! Anyway go use a normal till!

rubadub wrote: »
    +1, they should not have such a large funnel/basket which is inviting people to throw lots of coins in. Or could have another simple feature, like opening a sprung hatch if the weight of the coins in the chute is too much.

The store managers are the biggest idiots though, not putting up a sign warning not to dump 10+ in at a time.

I did jam it, and did get my stuck coins back, and my total was intact.

It's true staff and management are trained to stop this day 1 but most staff don't care or new staff come in and aren't trained to stop this practice, also gets my goat is management allowing full trollies to be put through fastlanes that are only designed to take a basket or the small trollies at most.

Actually with regards the funnel it will close once it's reached it's limit on the max amount of coins it can handle at any one time! Next time your doing it the coins will just fall straight through to the cup underneath, but most customer's won't notice that and keep pooring them through until till the machine decides it can continue taking on more coins.

idiots trying to feed to many coins into a machine that is only designed to sort through a handful of coins
    I still don't know why you call them the idiots, if they are idiots what do you make of the management & designers?

How is anybody supposed to know what it was designed for, when there is no instruction on the machine. I have seen small basic counting machines at trade shows which gobbled up coins really fast, I would have expected even faster & far more robust performance from a machine intended for the general public.
    It's true staff and management are trained to stop this day 1 but most staff don't care or new staff come in and aren't trained to stop this practice
    They can put a sign up, its stupid relying on staff just noticing people. They have signs up reminding you to use your clubcard in my tesco now.

How many do you reckon is the max to put in at once?, or the most efficient amount timewise (which may not be the max)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Interesting, according to the Central Bank's website:

"What is the maximum number of euro coins that a shop is obliged to accept in any single transaction?

The following is an extract from the Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998:

“10(1) No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.”

What bugs me, is quite often you directed away from a till to go and use the self-service, often with a lengthy queue! The retailers can't have it every way in their favour!

Yeah, I posted that 50 coin limit thing before. Also you can post coins to the central bank, or bring them in, up to €635. I emailed them to see if you can just bring in a bucket of mixed coins and dump them in.

There is a form to fill out if posting them in, you are meant to count up each coin, then it is 'verified'. Its a bit stupid as I could just put down 100000 of each coin, and let them verify what was actually correct.

• Advertisement
Advertisement