Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of loose change in tesco self service machines (i.e. commision free)

Options
  • 12-06-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to post this. In my tesco they have big coin counting machines which take something like 10% commission. They also allow this to be converted to vouchers only to be used in tesco which you might presume would be commission free, but they take the exact same commission. In other threads I think people claimed some tesco machines were commission free vouchers, so it might depend on the branch, or they were mistaken. Its a clever trick since I presumed it was commission free due to my reasoning of "who would take vouchers over cash", I expect many never read the small print and may not even know they were charged it.

Anyways, I found the self service tills are pretty fast at counting out the loose change. You just dump in 5 or 6 coins at a time, it is a small basket, you are not slotting them in, and watch your balance going down on screen, if you put too many in it just spits them out at the end. Might not want to do it at a busy period if you have loads to get rid off. I have a tub of coins and now take a fistful as I leave to go shopping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

rubadub wrote: »
    Might not want to do it at a busy period if you have loads to get rid off.

Doesn't stop some shoppers.

It's a good tip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 flickflock1

Ya i do this always, first thing in the morning before i go to work as there is a tesco near by , ok it can take a while but its good satifaction!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whats the maximum number of coins you can put in the self service machines before it spits them back out?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

irish-stew wrote: »
    Whats the maximum number of coins you can put in the self service machines before it spits them back out?

I'm not sure but generally if you put in a big coin - €1 or €2 - it'll take the little coins again then.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Go easy though, I was a bit eager with it a while ago and jammed the machine.

Scarleh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Go easy though, I was a bit eager with it a while ago and jammed the machine.

Scarleh.

Same. On the plus side my nerdy side was happy to see the inside of the money machine while they were clearing the blockage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

irish-stew wrote: »
    I jammed it too like the others, I thought it might jam in fairness and was testing the limit as I was shocked how fast it did them (compared to say the luas). I think it was about 10-15 coins at once, before that I was putting in about 6 at a time no bother. The staff are alerted and some woman typed in something and they all came out again, I was only worried it might need to be reset and not recognise all the money I just put in, but it was fine.

As its a basket type slot you just hold one hand with coins and slowly brush them in with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

I was disappointed. I was hoping for elves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

You can also go into a bank and ask for the bags. Then go home count it yourself and bag it up. Then lodge it into the bank, no charge. Although tesco tip is a handy one.
    Done this a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Levitate

easy enough to get rid of small change when buying petrol also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

It matters the order you put the coins in. I get rid of the smaller coins first, then the larger denominations, otherwise the machine will give back the smaller coins. I also count my money, in and out, I've been shortchanged by Tesco self-service tills.

There can be a small cost to using the self-serve tills; you don't get any till coupons (till spits) at the Tesco self-service tills, they're only printed at the staffed tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

Oracle wrote: »
    There can be a small cost to using the self-serve tills; you don't get any till coupons (till spits) at the Tesco self-service tills, they're only printed at the staffed tills.

Not true. I've get till spits at the self-service ones.

brian_t wrote: »

Well maybe they've changed that recently. I've never gotten till coupons at the self-service tills, and sometimes get them at the staffed tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

In the Tesco on Upper Baggot St, till spits come only from the manned tills. I've never gotten one from a self-service till. Maybe it varies from shop to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

This is the greatest bargain alert of all time.

Memories of cheap bounty bars fail into insignificance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Self-service tills have never spitted at me either which is why I go to the manned till and pray for a few spits in my direction.

As regards loose change, I've experienced that another customer gets all the crap change back. If something costs €4.50, pay with a fiver and get 10x5c coins in change.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

Any trouble throwing in a few coppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Wasn't sure where to post this. In my tesco they have big coin counting machines which take something like 10% commission. They also allow this to be converted to vouchers only to be used in tesco which you might presume would be commission free, but they take the exact same commission. In other threads I think people claimed some tesco machines were commission free vouchers, so it might depend on the branch, or they were mistaken. Its a clever trick since I presumed it was commission free due to my reasoning of "who would take vouchers over cash", I expect many never read the small print and may not even know they were charged it.

Anyways, I found the self service tills are pretty fast at counting out the loose change. You just dump in 5 or 6 coins at a time, it is a small basket, you are not slotting them in, and watch your balance going down on screen, if you put too many in it just spits them out at the end. Might not want to do it at a busy period if you have loads to get rid off. I have a tub of coins and now take a fistful as I leave to go shopping.

welcome to 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have never got them at the self service in my tesco, I thought maybe you had to buy over a certain amount, e.g. €20+ before you got them, and being in the self service I was usually only spending €5-€10.

SMI wrote: »
    Any trouble throwing in a few coppers?
    No, even takes 1 cents, it spat a few out but took them when I put them back in.
    You can also go into a bank and ask for the bags.
    True, but tedious & time consuming, esp. small coins, when the finished bag is worth feck all anyway. I hear stories of guys getting €400 back from these big machines after throwing in a big pot as though I should be impressed, but I just think "jaysus, they got about €40 off him in commision". I have a coin sorting device to help bag coins in my house but never used it, still very tedious.

Oracle wrote: »
    I also count my money, in and out, I've been shortchanged by Tesco self-service tills.
    Counting would slow things up, what did you do when you were shortchanged, do they open the machine and verify it? how much were you out by?
    welcome to 1996
    ? my tesco has the basket/funnel counters in only maybe the last 6 months. Before this it was 1 by 1 coin slot, like an arcade machine or luas, i.e. you could not dump them in like the big commission machines. You'd be there all day feeding in coppers one by one.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Self-service tills have never spitted at me either which is why I go to the manned till and pray for a few spits in my direction.....

Yeah thats why I don't go to them either, unless I have a lotta small change I want rid of, or battered old coins.
    Counting would slow things up, what did you do when you were shortchanged, do they open the machine and verify it? how much were you out by?

I was left short a €1, but I checked straight away and mentioned it. They just opened the machine and gave it to me. Point is people assume these machines are always accurate, not necessarily.

• Advertisement

I have never got them at the self service in my tesco, I thought maybe you had to buy over a certain amount, e.g. €20+ before you got them, and being in the self service I was usually only spending €5-€10.

I've studied this, and I think it's less than €10 - no till spit.
    So if I have shopping worth more than €10 I go to the manned till - sometimes get a useful till spit.

Christ, I deffo spend too much time in poxy Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The new Self service tills do spits.

Its linked to your clubcard wheather you'll get one. I always get €2 off actifit or a free Tesco mobile sim card!

The self scans can hold a certain amount of each coin, once one type is full ie 5c, it can jam.

quaalude wrote: »
    I've studied this, and I think it's less than €10 - no till spit.
    So if I have shopping worth more than €10 I go to the manned till - sometimes get a useful till spit.
    Christ, I deffo spend too much time in poxy Tesco.

I don't agree. I spend less than €10 most of the time and still get spitted at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

mathie wrote: »
    This is the greatest bargain alert of all time.

Memories of cheap bounty bars fail into insignificance.

Don't start, I bought so many that when I see them in the shops now I get Vietnam-style flashbacks. :o

bounty.jpg

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The new Self service tills do spits.
    snubbleste wrote:
    I don't agree. I spend less than €10 most of the time and still get spitted at.

OK, cheers for that. I did say earlier in the thread though it must vary from shop to shop - I'm talking about Upper Baggot St.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can someone please explain what a 'till spit' is?

antodeco wrote: »

It's a money off or extra points coupon, that gets issued with your receipt, at the till. I think they're only printed if you use your Clubcard.

antodeco wrote: »

I need to know too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

had a load of change at home in a couple of Pringles tubes. had been putting off going into tesco to get it counted for ages.

anyway in i went one evening, it was quite enough at the time. i started pouring in the change, it rejected any sterling coins i had.

at the end the total amount in change came to 126 euro! this included the 10% commission.

left feeling very happy:)

Advertisement