Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of loose change in tesco self service machines (i.e. commision free)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

who_ru wrote: »
    had a load of change at home in a couple of Pringles tubes. had been putting off going into tesco to get it counted for ages.

anyway in i went one evening, it was quite enough at the time. i started pouring in the change, it rejected any sterling coins i had.

at the end the total amount in change came to 126 euro! this included the 10% commission.

left feeling very happy:)

so you actually had 140 euro in change.

they took 14 euro off you and you are very happy ?

you seem to have totally missed the point of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 34 edgars

your giving them change for there tills , and they are charging you 10% and YOUR HAPPY .
    NOT A BARGAIN ALERT

CLOSE THIS THREAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

edgars wrote: »
    your giving them change for there tills , and they are charging you 10% and YOUR HAPPY .
    NOT A BARGAIN ALERT

CLOSE THIS THREAD

You should probably read the OP, but more slowly this time

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

who_ru wrote: »
    had a load of change at home in a couple of Pringles tubes. had been putting off going into tesco to get it counted for ages.

anyway in i went one evening, it was quite enough at the time. i started pouring in the change, it rejected any sterling coins i had.

at the end the total amount in change came to 126 euro! this included the 10% commission.

left feeling very happy:)

You left happy after being charged €14 to do this? Wow, someone who's happy at being ripped off! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

In before everyone thrashes the place and a lock in!...

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

rubadub wrote: »

? my tesco has the basket/funnel counters in only maybe the last 6 months. Before this it was 1 by 1 coin slot, like an arcade machine or luas, i.e. you could not dump them in like the big commission machines. You'd be there all day feeding in coppers one by one.

Fair enough, still a sh1t BA :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 AdventRises

Way ahead of you op :p
    Went down to my local tesco express 2 months ago with a bag full of change. Mix of 1c, 2c, 5c, 10c & 20cents. Counted it before hand and it was 20 euro. So I just added up what I was buying as I shopped.

I am suprised people are still using the 'change machines' as even a shred of common sense tells you Tesco machines count the same way. With the added bonus of no commision :p

Tip;
    some tesco machines stop accepting coins if you got a big load of coins. It only lasts a few seconds so the machine can sort them out. You can see this happen when the green light goes off and it makes noises. Give it time and start dunking coins in.... oh and don't dump loads of coins in ;) You will lose money if you dump too many at one time as you are not giving it enough time to scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

If you dump all your coin into the self serve still, pay the balance with a card, dumped a load of change into it and was a couple of quid short, put in €5 and it gave me change using the coppers I put in

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

so let me get this right...the new Tesco tills swallow your coins and spit receipts. Does it gargle anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

swampy353 wrote: »
    If you dump all your coin into the self serve still, pay the balance with a card, dumped a load of change into it and was a couple of quid short, put in €5 and it gave me change using the coppers I put in

As clear as mud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mathie wrote: »
    As clear as mud.
    What he means is, if your total is say €20 and you stick in €19 in small coppers then you can use your credit card to pay the remaining €1.

Otherwise if you stuck a €5 note in to pay the €1 balance it might give you €4 back in the coppers you just fed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I would have thought this was a fairly obvious thing to do, no ? You don't even need to use self service tills, most shops are happy to receive lots of change from you unless it's towards the end of the day and are close to counting their floats.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You don't even need to use self service tills, most shops are happy to receive lots of change
    Some might be happy, many would not. I would feel embarrassed/awkward handing over €20+ in coppers and asking them to count out what I owe and give me back the rest. It would take ages and hold up any queues. Shops also do not legally have to accept large amounts
    No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.

This is why some people are happy to pay the commission, counting it into bags takes up their free time too. If they worked overtime instead they might come out better off and live with the 10% commission.

Whenever I hear of people using these machines it is always over €100, they are raking it in with commission. They are in effect paying €10-40 for the use of a machine for a minute, they usually come away with more cash than they expected so go off happy, it doesn't sink in. I bet if they went into the bank and a cashier glanced at the bucket and said "I'll count that for you for €30, I just throw it in this machine" they wouldn't be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

mathie wrote: »
    swampy353 wrote: »

As clear as mud.
    Your welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

snubbleste wrote: »
    Self-service tills have never spitted at me either ...

I have never been spat at in a supermarket. But I always go to Superquinn. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

or if your really smart:

buy tee-shirts for €20 or what ever, pay using all your coppers at self scans, then off to the customer service desk for a refund ............ in notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

or just spend your loose change instead of hoarding it at home, and then you'll never have the problem to start with.

the problem
    I would rather live with the 'problem' of having hoarded coins than the 'problem' of spending all my loose change whenever I get it.

People do not hoard coins for the laugh. Some points I made in old threads.
    -In the 80's I remember mc donalds giving free burgers, and superquinn giving free donuts out, you brought in £5 in small change and got a £5 note and free food.
    -the central bank should be offering this service for free. Some coins cost more to produce than they are worth, e.g. a 50cent coin might cost €1 to make. The central bank pays a fortune minting new coins because of hoarders. It was in the paper a while ago they had to buy them in from sweden or someplace, costing millions. They would have been better off paying people €1.10 per €1 worth of hoarded coins! the central bank & government make no attempt to intice people to part with their hoarded coins. A few of these machines in the central bank would save millions. They should also force banks to offer free coin counting machines for this reasons to, christ knows the bastard banks owe the public at least that.
    I think there was talk of the central bank doing something at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

rubadub wrote: »
    I would rather live with the 'problem' of having hoarded coins than the 'problem' of spending all my loose change whenever I get it.

People do not hoard coins for the laugh.

C'mon, it's not that hard to hand them over when paying for stuff so you're not left with bags of them.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    C'mon, it's not that hard to hand them over when paying for stuff so you're not left with bags of them.
    I am not saying its particularly hard, I just prefer not to, and obviously many others feel the same, I find it easier to hoard/collect them, surely people realise why this is? Its more time efficient for me, and I find it annoying/tedious to count out coins. If a machine can do this for me I will use it, just like I do not clean all my plates & cutlery straight away and put them back, I let them mount up in the dishwasher, clean the lot and put them all away at once.

I usually only count out change in takeaways if I am waiting with nothing else to be doing, and even then I do not like handing over bunches of coppers and then have to wait for them to recount them all. I get rid of most €2, €1 & 50cents, its smaller ones I tend to dump in a pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I used in coin counting thing in my local tesco and the reciept gave me 2 options. Use the full amount off purchases in Tesco or get 90% in cash at Customer Services. I brought the reciept up and got 100% value at the till. No hassle with automatic till or anything like that. It was about 6/8 weeks ago unless its changes since.

Not sure if its like that everywhere

Use the full amount off purchases in Tesco or get 90% in cash at Customer Services. I brought the reciept up and got 100% value at the till.
    Are you absolutely certain you got the full value, if so where is this tesco? When you read the info on the machine in my local tesco it certainly at first appears to give 100% until you read the fine print. It has come up in several threads in consumer issues
    Chiparus wrote: »
    Brought the bedside jar of coins to Tesco, where they have a coin machine. It said quite clearly exchange the "full value against tesco shopping" however they took 9% ( 10 euro) and refused to exchange the full value against my shopping bill.

Is there anything I can do?

E30i wrote: »
    I understood from the instructions on the machine that I had 2 options
    1) Redeem the full value against your shoping at any Tesco Store
    or
    2) Exchange for cash at the Customer Service Desk.

Given the use of the word 'full' in option 1 (and repeated on the voucher I received) I had the expectation that I could use the €117.06 value against my shopping. However in Tesco Wexford this morning the manager insisted that this is incorrect and that whether I choose cash or to redeem against my shopping the only value on my voucher is €106.06.
    The guy above went on to complain to coinstar (company who make/run the machines) about being misleading and got a refund. Its very sneaky wording, and they know fine well it is, as I said in the first post "who would take vouchers over cash"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

If somebody had the brains to get rid of at least 1 and 2 cent coins from circulation a lot of this age old problem would be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dub50

If somebody had the brains to get rid of at least 1 and 2 cent coins from circulation a lot of this age old problem would be solved.

interesting article on getting rid of small denomination coins

http://www.economist.com/node/21554518

Buttonwood
    Making no cents
    The demise of a coin shows the long-term impact of inflation
    May 12th 2012 | from the print edition

FAREWELL to the Canadian penny. The last one-cent coin, in circulation ever since Canada developed its own currency in 1858, was minted on May 4th. The coin had become a nuisance, weighing down consumers’ wallets and costing more to produce than it was worth.

The penny is just the latest in a series of coins to disappear after centuries of use. The British farthing was worth just a quarter of an old penny, or one-960th of a pound, but it still lasted almost 700 years before it disappeared from circulation in 1960. Remarkably enough, half-farthings were also issued in the 19th century, and even smaller coins (third- and quarter-farthings) were used abroad.

Inflation killed the farthing just as it has killed the Canadian cent. Small coins are living on borrowed time once they become useless for buying individual items. A single penny could buy the first British postage stamp, the Penny Black, in 1840 and was still sufficient to buy a small ice cream for a short-trousered Buttonwood in the late 1960s. Nowadays you would struggle to find a humble ice lolly selling for less than a pound.

By the time the farthing disappeared, Britain was entering its most rapid period of peacetime inflation. In 1971 decimalisation followed, under which the smallest coin was the halfpenny (one-200th of a pound). It lasted only 13 years before it was abandoned. Even when governments do not abolish coins, a market solution may emerge. In Italy, before euro adoption, almost all items cost so many thousands of lire that shopkeepers and restaurants stopped handing over small amounts of change, offering customers sweets instead.

Coins are not the only casualties of monetary history. The old British ten-shilling note disappeared in 1969, replaced by the new 50-pence piece. The one-pound note, which had been around for almost 200 years, was replaced by a coin in 1988. In those cases, wear and tear was to blame. The coins lasted 50 times as long.

Sometimes the whole currency gets redenominated. The French franc was worth around a fifth of the dollar just before the first world war. It attained the same exchange rate in the 1960s. In the meantime, however, two zeros had been knocked off the face value of French bank notes: 100 old francs became 1 new one. In effect, the franc had lost 99% of its value (and that against a dollar with a reduced purchasing power against gold).

But the rise in metal prices, itself a symptom of inflation, does for coins in the end. Nowadays melting down coins to exploit the potential for arbitrage is often illegal, but in the Middle Ages it was standard practice. As a result the content of the farthing, which was once made of silver, was steadily switched to cheaper copper, tin and bronze.

The Canadian government is presenting the decision to abolish the penny as a matter of public economy: the move will save C$11m ($11m) a year in production and distribution costs. There have been calls for the American penny, which costs 2.4 cents to produce, to follow suit. But that would mean greater use of the nickel (five cents), which is even less economic to produce, at 11.2 cents for each coin. Tradition, and a public suspicion of such government initiatives, have saved the penny so far.

These losses are offset by the profits each government makes by producing other notes and coins for less than their face value. This profit, known as seigniorage, is one of the great hidden sources of government revenue. Quantitative easing—the ability of central banks to create money with a click of a mouse, and to use the proceeds to buy bonds and reduce the government’s borrowing costs—is potentially an even more lucrative wheeze.

The demise of small coins also owes something, of course, to the move towards electronic money. Retailers have typically priced goods just below a whole number: $9.99, say. In part, that was a measure against fraud: employees were forced to open the till in order to provide the penny change. That is less pertinent these days, when most customers are paying by debit or credit card.

Canadian retailers will presumably want to exploit the psychological appeal of less-than-whole-number pricing, so many will opt for C$9.95 rather than the full C$10. That might make this shift different from the usual experience of consumers—that any currency reform becomes an excuse for higher prices. But history suggests shoppers cannot win in the end. If you don’t look after the pennies, then the pounds (or dollars) will disappear by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

i have about (hopefully) 1000 euro in coins.where is cheapest place to change them in notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    i have about (hopefully) 1000 euro in coins.where is cheapest place to change them in notes?

Your local bank, if you ask the cashier they will give you bags for the various denominations, I'd think you could easily count them yourself. Otherwise your looking at 10-15% commission in the likes of Tesco or other retailers with counting machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Sigourney wrote: »
    I have never been spat at in a supermarket. But I always go to Superquinn. :p

... yes although in Superquinn you've got to wait while the biddy on the till finishes her 10 minute chat with her friend or relative. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Long time 1 cent Tesco dumper here.. in most of the stores that are open late, the machines are emptied at around 10pm, so.. messing around with bags of coins close to that time will lead to trouble, as in, jams, or machine full.

Once the staff have done the evening clean out, afterwards, you're in the clear to dump and run once again.

I expect after this thread, there'll be a slow escalation, a slug like request meandering up through to the Tesco IT division, to impose a coin limit in the machine's programming.

[Tesco corporate shill]This cannot stand![/Tesco corporate shill]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I chuck all my 1c, 2 and 5c coins in a jar when going to bed.

Every few months I take the jar to the Credit Union and donate it to Special Olympics - the CU people take the coins from me without counting and count them later when things are quiet (as often happens in a CU).

Saves me messing with the coins and lets me breeze past the chuggers on the street without a qualm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

"spent" €25 in tesco today and paid with nothing larger than a 50c piece, was DELIGHTED
    then went to Aldi and paid €42 in coins and still have half a jar left of the larger denomination coins, best days shopping EVER:D
    thanks OP

Advertisement