Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Capillatus

Since this is a winter discussion, I hope you don't mind, if I post my winter outlook charts here.

This is basically just a composite (NOAA/NCEP) or a blend of the winters in the past. I used certain winters and blended them together. I have chosen the years and months, based on the overall global setup and similarities in the oceanic and atmospheric features. The graphics were made on October 29., when I finished my analysis process and first published on November 1st on a weather forum in my country. So lets say I have 1 month "lead time" before the start of the forecasted period. ;) This is my first attempt of "statistical" forecasting, so I don't really expect much success to be honest, but I need to test it, so i decided to make a "public test", by posting it on weather forums. :)

Some interpretation is required. This is basically an average picture, so it has its respected deviation. But just the average or "middle" picture will suffice for now. :) I posted this on a forum in my country, so the text on the graphic is in my language (Slovenian). But some words, like the names of the months are similar, so I think you will understand what period is represented on the graphic.

1091823423130583018.png

I can also post the precip. and temp. anomalies if requested. :)

This is the December outlook that I made with the same system on the same day as the 3-month winter graphics.
    1091823423130583045.png

Here are the CFSv2 monthly forecasts for December, issued on Nov. 1, and Nov. 13 (latest).

cfsv2z70020121101201212.gif

cfsv2z70020121113201212-.gif

Best regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

gemnh-0-240.png

It's apocolyptic!! Beautiful FI there but the 19th didn't look so bad either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Zonal bells, zonal bells, zonal all the way (although temps will be average or slightly below average for the second half of the month)
    228534.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The general consensus was that it was going to be milder and zonal for the best part of the second half of the month with maybe some change on the horizon for month end

The general consensus was that it was going to be milder and zonal for the best part of the second half of the month with maybe some change on the horizon for month end

There is potential for this alright, Pete, and this potential has been showing up since late October. HP's over Scandinavia/Continent have been very bullish but the absence of any significant ridging over Greenland and/or to our west means that Ireland could conceivably end up on the wrong side of any cold outbreak. Plenty of time to change but I do think that zonal conditions remain the most likely outcome for early December, pending changes to what I have suggested above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rtavn3121.png

I think the trend is there for things to start to change , hopefully they do

The ensembles look very interesting, at least in my view. (I look at operational runs only up to 6-8 days. From there on, its ensembles only, for me. ;) )

GEFS "drops" the trough from Greenland into UK and Ireland.
    gefsz500anomnh37.png

ECMWF ensembles agree.
    ecmepsz500anatl10.png

The operational drops it more south than the ensemble mean, meaning it would amplify the ridge/blocking to its east side.
    ecmz500anomeur10.png

GEFS gets even more interesting further down the road. It has a fair anomaly on the ridging near Greenland, indicating that the deviation between members is not really that big (given the range). When looking GEFS mean from 10-16 days, it looks like this ridge is propagating nN/NE, towards Greenland.
    gefsz500anomnh65.png

naosprd2.gif

Just ensemble games for now (but I think they are fairly realistic), but something worth monitoring down the road. :)

Regards.

What do you think the outcome or trend is for what you are seeing /interpreting ?

Well, as I said, its just fun and games with ensembles for now. But my main point was to give some more support or maybe "explanation" for the negative NAO trend evolving and the corresponding weather that goes with the Atlantic/Greenland ridging/blocking. :)

I have to add, that I live in Central Europe. So when looking at weather patterns and oscillations like NAO, I might sometimes have a different idea than most of the forum members, on whats a good or a bad pattern, varying on the persons love towards more "extreme" or less "extreme" weather. I hope I haven't over complicated this segment. :)

I expect temperatures to trail off towards the end of the month. At this point however, I do not expect any significant wintry weather for at least the next two weeks.

Recent days have seen temperatures rise above average for the time of year (14.2 at Phoenix Park and 14c at Shannon yesterday) but temperatures will drop back to seasonal levels over the next few days. In fact, temperatures will drop down to 4-8c in most places tonight (perhaps a few degrees lower in the northwest). Conditions during recent nights have been a good deal milder. Daytime temperatures will dip into single figures during Friday and the weekend before recovering slightly next week.

Next week will bring a continuation of the present wet and times windy conditions (see MT's long range forecast for more). Next week, temperatures will be slightly lower than average for the time of year.

Towards the final days of November, I expect “cooler” and “drier” than average conditions to extend from Europe, particularly to eastern parts of Ireland and much of Britain. It could remain a shade milder and at times unsettled in western parts.

Overall, and as I have mentioned previously, I expect overall temperatures for November to finish below the 1981-2010 average of 7.3 C. This follows a colder than average September and October.

• Advertisement

Just to back up what Wolfe_IRE said. :)

The temperature anomaly for November so far (let me point out, that these reanalysis charts cannot really represent local anomalies, like from town to town. But they are great when looking at the bigger picture):

compday10918225413189215.gif

The temperature anomaly above, corresponds with the pattern so far. Central and East Europe are under positive temperature anomalies, due to the overall SW flow and the warm air advection in the jet exit region, while Ireland, UK and west Europe, were under more NW flow on the back side of the troughs and under cold air advection. The trough looks triangular, due to the fact that most of them were positive tilted, with some help of the Azores High.

nov.gif

compday10918225413189273.gif

850.gif

September+October temp. anomaly:

compday10918225413189581.gif

GEFS 10-15 days temperature anomaly.
    gefst2mmeaneurd1015.png

Best regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

MT's Firecast mentioning the possibility of colder at the end of the month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

t|nt|n wrote: »
    MT's Firecast mentioning the possibility of colder at the end of the month :D

don't you mean coldcast :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Latest From Simon Keeling . Very well informed video i think.

Latest ensembles still showing a COOL down by the end of the month , though there will be some southerly flow moving up for a brief mild day or 2 also next week.

But as in the video its interesting to see the number of forecasts showing below average anomalies into mid december.

228687.png

Great few days of model watching imo :)

Would not disagree with that, Ian, re: mid december

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Have to say I really enjoy Simon Keeling's videos which I would highly recommend others to subscribe to if not all ready...He has a very clear and informative way of explaining things which I have learned lots from:)... His thoughts on late December are very interesting to say the least:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Interesting to see ( IN THE FAR REACHES OF FI ) the GFS a CFS both building the high to our NW ...

228815.png

228816.png

Opens the gates then for Northerly flow to flood down south :) ...

Interesting models indeed! :)

tumblr_m5y78vm1Al1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Just as a matter of interest which is better for snow in Ireland, the greenland blocking or Scandinavia blocking?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lucreto wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest which is better for snow in Ireland, the greenland blocking or Scandinavia blocking?

I'd say Greenland blocking.....well for the east coast anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

DOCARCH wrote: »

id say the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

id say the opposite
    Why do you say this?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Why do you say this?:confused:

As far as I know with a scandanavian high the wind blows primarily from a easterly component or NE thus exposing eastern areas greater than a Greenland high which has more of a Norherly component

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As far as I know with a scandanavian high the wind blows primarily from a easterly component or NE thus exposing eastern areas greater than a Greenland high which has more of a Norherly component

True (partly). Actually a difficult question to answer as it all depends on the position and shape of the high in conjunction with where low centres are positioned around.

So both can deliever but equally both don't necessarily do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I agree, our best chance for snow is an airflow originating in the Arctic rather than Russia. We're usually too far west to benefit from a Scandinavian high - last winter was a perfect example when Europe froze and we sweltered out in the Atlantic. An NE'ly is possible with a greenland high with the clockwise rotation around an anticyclone.
    Interesting to note that the two big winters, 47 and 63 were very different, 47 was dominated by high pressure over Scandinavia and in 63 it was in the Iceland / Greenland area.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I agree, our best chance for snow is an airflow originating in the Arctic rather than Russia. We're usually too far west to benefit from a Scandinavian high - last winter was a perfect example when Europe froze and we sweltered out in the Atlantic. An NE'ly is possible with a greenland high with the clockwise rotation around an anticyclone.
    Interesting to note that the two big winters, 47 and 63 were very different, 47 was dominated by high pressure over Scandinavia and in 63 it was in the Iceland / Greenland area.

What about 2010? where did that one come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Greenland block all the way baby in 2010.

Shuts down Atlantic for sustained chance of Siberian feed.

Anyway back to the present please.

Plenty of divergence in today’s GEFS (computer forecasting model) ensembles in relation to our weather at the end of the month. Overall, the trend is for temperatures to be below average up to the end of the month and during the early days of December. It is likely to remain unsettled for the next 7-10 days at least with the wind being a major factor in our weather, particularly next week (see MT's forecast for more). There are no clear signs at this point, that our weather will turn significantly colder during the next two weeks as has been reported widely elsewhere. However, we should be keeping a close eye on the progression of a blocking high feature possibly developing across northern Europe, which if it transpires will have a bearing on our weather.

Incidentally, JOE Bastardi's latest:

"Much of US next week awesome nice weather ( still worry about e coast) Dec 2012 globally may challenge Dec 09. UK better get ready too"

Wolfe

228864.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mrweatherman

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    Plenty of divergence in today’s GEFS (computer forecasting model) ensembles in relation to our weather at the end of the month. Overall, the trend is for temperatures to be below average up to the end of the month and during the early days of December. It is likely to remain unsettled for the next 7-10 days at least with the wind being a major factor in our weather, particularly next week (see MT's forecast for more). There are no clear signs at this point, that our weather will turn significantly colder during the next two weeks as has been reported widely elsewhere. However, we should be keeping a close eye on the progression of a blocking high feature possibly developing across northern Europe, which if it transpires will have a bearing on our weather.

Incidentally, JOE Bastardi's latest:

"Much of US next week awesome nice weather ( still worry about e coast) Dec 2012 globally may challenge Dec 09. UK better get ready too"

Wolfe

228864.gif
    Has any one seen the headline express is claiming? Is it true wolfe as sccuweathet and metcheck seem to be leaning to a bit coldet weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Another article supporting the theory of a mild winter for Northern Europe with the chances of Greenland blocking thought to be very low.

Also it notes December should be the coolest month with January and February tending to be both milder and wetter. Total contrast to MT's prediction of a very cold February. I am going with MT on this one! :D

However there is now a myriad of articles out there, some saying a very cold winter, others saying a mid winter. Don't know what to believe!!

D

http://uk.weather.com/partners-winter/mild

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement