Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Economics 2012 Higher and Ordinary**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    What Market Structure does everyone think? Am I alright to not even go near oligopoly?

Well its highly unlikely it'll come up but.....you never know I wouldn't go over it at this stage the day before tbh.....I'd compare the other three and do diagrams that include perfect and imperfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

I think factors of an oligopolistic market could come up. EG do you agree supermarkets operate under IC, no they operate under Oligopolistic conditions etc.

Look at banking question from 2010. What a horrible question, don't think I would ever do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

I'm actually guessing we'll get a nice question on the law of comparative advantage! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Just hope the questions aren't too bad. Can't find a definition for geographical mobility of labour.

I know occupational movement of labour is: "the ease at which an employee can move from one job to another"
    It's:

'the ability of a worker to move from one area to another in search of employment'

Just did the 2001 Paper there, did 9 SQ's and 4 Longs (1, 2, 3, 8) and i've 51 minutes left at the end :L.. I'll correct it and see how I get on but i'm pretty sure I got an A1. :P I'd love to have amount of time left over in the Leaving! I'd do at least another question! I just seem to write extra fast in exam situations, I did:

4 pages for Q.1
    3 Pages for Q.2
    3 Pages for Q.3
    3 Pages for Q.8

:P

Omg.. I got 99.5% in that 2001 Economics Paper I did! :pac:

Come on A1 tomorrow morning, I need you! :P

I got 98/100 in the Shorts :mad: and then 75/75 in each Long question! Happy! :)

I'm going to do another exam paper after dinner to make sure it wasn't just a fluke! Going to do 2010, for the lolz..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 theflexible

I got 98/100 in the Shorts :mad: and then 75/75 in each Long question! Happy! :)

I'm going to do another exam paper after dinner to make sure it wasn't just a fluke! Going to do 2010, for the lolz..
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/200/420/BRTky.jpg?1321408042

Why thank you! I would consider myself an Economics 'badass' :P Jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

I can tell you for a fact that you didnt get 75/75 in each long question!!

No he can get 75/75 alright like if he's very precise ... but jesus 3/4 pages for a long questions seems a lot I usually do 2

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ganon

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Yes, but Economics has a very low A1 ratio. Something like 3%.
    . Wow I never realised that :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

ganon wrote: »
    . Wow I never realised that :/

Despite that 20% of people still get a B1 or over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellie66

Has anyone got any idea to what might come up in ordinary ? (:

ellie66 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any idea to what might come up in ordinary ? (:

well looking at trends........International trade, perfect/imperfect, Demand and supply, Inflation, costs of production, enterprise.....

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ganon

What's the best definition for Perfectly elastic demand?
    Do you say 'When a producer can sell all his output at the prevailing price but A) if he increases the price quantity sold falls to zero or B) any deviation from the prevailing price results in quantity demanded falling to zero'?
    I might be mixing up A with perfect competition, think B is more correct but not sure?

ganon wrote: »
    What's the best definition for Perfectly elastic demand?
    Do you say 'When a producer can sell all his output at the prevailing price but A) if he increases the price quantity sold falls to zero or B) any deviation from the prevailing price results in quantity demanded falling to zero'?
    I might be mixing up A with perfect competition, think B is more correct but not sure?

if prices rises above P1 demand falls to zero no?

Can anyone define

M1 money supply
    M2 money supply
    M3 money supply.

Anyone else agree that there is actually no real need to know statistics??

There is bound to be a question on what would happen if Ireland left the euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

2010 HL.

Question 8. Part (a).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grizzly_bear

So Keynes -multiplier,liquidity preference theory and equilibrium with full employment

Smith-laissez faire policies,pursuit of self interest and canons of taxation

Ricardo-labour theory of value and law of comparative advantage

Struggling for the rest!

2010 HL.

Question 8. Part (a).

Avoidable!

• Advertisement

There is bound to be a question on what would happen if Ireland left the euro.

What would the answer even be?

So Keynes -multiplier,liquidity preference theory and equilibrium with full employment

Smith-laissez faire policies,pursuit of self interest and canons of taxation

Ricardo-labour theory of value and law of comparative advantage

Struggling for the rest!

Keynes (Neo-classical/Keynesian) - using fiscal policy to control the economy and curb inflation.
    Friedman (Monetarists) - use of monetary policy to control inflation.

What would the answer even be?

If we leave the euro...

Social unrest
    More unemployment
    Savers and borrowers are unsure about where their money is/stands
    Tourism starts to decrease

The ECB could realistically print money to pay off all debt and then invest in growth..

This could be a solution to something on our exam tomorrow

If we leave the euro...

Social unrest
    More unemployment
    Savers and borrowers are unsure about where their money is/stands
    Tourism starts to decrease

Disagree. If Ireland leaves the euro, the punt will undoubtedly plummet. Ireland will become much cheaper to travel to. I know for a fact that a lot of Russian people I know would love to go to Ireland on holidays but they cannot afford to do so because Ireland is a very expensive country, even compared to other EU countries.

Disagree. If Ireland leaves the euro, the punt will undoubtedly plummet. Ireland will become much cheaper to travel to. I know for a fact that a lot of Russian people I know would love to go to Ireland on holidays but they cannot afford to do so because Ireland is a very expensive country, even compared to other EU countries.

I disagree. What confidence would people have in Ireland first of all. Prices here are going to significantly increase. Secondly people in Europe are so used to not having to change their currency to come here, and now they will, which will in hindsight be a turnoff.

There would be a serious decrease in imports

The government would literally need to get rid of the debt over night if we exited the euro. Our debt is equal to the public sector wage bill, so therefore huge public service jobs would inevitably be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grizzly_bear

Keynes (Neo-classical/Keynesian) - using fiscal policy to control the economy and curb inflation.
    Friedman (Monetarists) - use of monetary policy to control inflation.

What if the ask specifically on 3 or 4 economists?

• Advertisement

HowAreWe wrote: »
    There would be a serious decrease in imports

...and a rise in prices. Because we HAVE to import a lot of our energy, which will cost a fortune if Ireland leaves the euro. Transport costs, energy bills will soar and firms will have to put up their prices to cope so inflation will go through the roof.
    I disagree. What confidence would people have in Ireland first of all. Prices here are going to significantly increase. Secondly people in Europe are so used to not having to change their currency to come here, and now they will, which will in hindsight be a turnoff.

North African destinations such as Egypt and Tunisia and even Turkey in the Mediterranean are hugely popular tourist destinations despite not being in the euro. Why? Because they are so cheap. Ireland cannot offer the sub holiday they offer but it offers cultural attractions.

Also I'm sure many establishments will accept the euro as a form of payment still.

Advertisement