Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Economics 2012 Higher and Ordinary**

Options
  • 08-06-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hello hello

I thought I'd start this up even though its a while away yet, anyone have predictions? Not saying you should trust them :P

whats everyone studying ? anyone studying oligopoly? I'm too nervous to leave it out, just imagine if it came up :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 motorola1337

I find economics to be a very easy subject :P A1 in HL in the mocks :P

Im studying perfect competition alot since everyone is predicting it to come up...but after that disastrous english paper 2 i wont count on it...so im going over all market structures atm.

I think we all should revise the history of economics too...i got this bad feeling they will stick in an awkward part c somewhere asking about Keyneys or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

ah I'm aiming for a C1/B3 I'm only good at Micro :o

I just cant memorize all that macro BS ,except taxation and international trade...piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Im studying all four markets, cost curves, FOP, focusing on law of supply and demand a lot.
    Elasticity of course.

Also studing Taxation, National Policy, International Trade, Land, Labour, Capital, Government, I.M.F & Banking

Dapics wrote: »
    Im studying all four markets, cost curves, FOP, focusing on law of supply and demand a lot.
    Elasticity of course.

Also studing Taxation, National Policy, International Trade, Land, Labour, Capital, Government, I.M.F & Banking

seems about the same as me bar national policy

HowAreWe wrote: »
    seems about the same as me bar national policy

I forgot to add I'm learning an A1 answer on Keynes' impact on economics/policies/new way of looking at economics.

I reckon this year they will ask something to do with interest rate determination. (keynes ideals vs. before keynes ideals)

• Advertisement

oh ****.....i really haven't looked at any history of economic thought at all..... :S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I haven't looked at economics in like 2 weeks I'll be going back to economics this weekend. I'm thinking of focusing on micro and a few macro sections. I really need a good grade.

oh ****.....i really haven't looked at any history of economic thought at all..... :S

I only gonna start properly studying next friday and just cram every possible question and answer into my head for the next six days, i really really really need an A1 after geography.

Also im gonna be the only student in my whole year doing an exam that morning :cool:... hopefully I will get put in a nice small room and get a load of time extra to answer the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grizzly_bear

I never really find it a timing issue but I totally echo the sentiments regarding the likelihood of the questions being absolutely sick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

I'm focusing on business studies this week, then moving onto Economics. What I hate about it is that your answers have to be word for word what they have in the marking scheme. There seems to be so little leeway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

Have demand, supply, elasticity, market structures, factors of production and comparative advantage all nailed. Sorted.
    Either way you can come up with a B answer on any awkward question you haven't studied yet / is common sense.

That's my attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

Hi all,

What are you studying for LC economics, does anyone have any predictions?

Also, since there's so much choice on the paper, are you going to basically choose what you'll be answering before you go in ?
    (ie: your 4 long Qs to concentrate on eg: supply & demand etc.)

Does anyone have any good articles they've been reading that they could link ?

MY HELP:

There's a great revision site for economics called khanacademy, it goes through the major topics in a way that's really easy to understand.

one week to the exam :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freewheelin_

I'll do most micro and a few macros - not costs.

I'm fairly awful at Economics, never really been interested in it. Expecting around a C1 hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MartieG

Right ok, I haven't looked at Economics in many many weeks :(

But I'm good at it, apart from the Micro Part, absolutely hate it !!

So what should I look over? My teacher isn't the best, we didn't finish the course nor did we do Keynes, or the history of iT?

HELP !!

EDmon wrote: »
    Hi all,

does anyone have any predictions?

Also, since there's so much choice on the paper, are you going to basically choose what you'll be answering before you go in ?
    (ie: your 4 long Qs to concentrate on eg: supply & demand etc.)

Does anyone have any good articles they've been reading that they could link ?

nice link :)

Imperfect competition, Inflation, Taxation could be up imo...

Personally I prefer Micro so I'm going to concentrate on that, costs probably won't come up this year...which is a shame becuase I like that chapter....But I'll be going over some macro too obviously like Taxation , national income, government, national debt,International Trade.

I'm Studying everything for this exam.

Economics has been very predictable these past few years, perhaps it wont be this year.

I'm also studying Keynesian Economics vs Merchantile Economics. If A question dosen't come up on either of them then I will just take bits from them and add them into certain selected topics just to showcase some general knowledge and make an impact on the examiner.

Im looking for an A1, I have no exams till Wednesday so I am just gonna study so damn much and hopefully get an A1

I only took it up this year, really need a top grade. So precise with the information you have to give. I'm just going to cover everything. Not too sure about the history of economics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I only took it up this year, really need a top grade. So precise with the information you have to give. I'm just going to cover everything. Not too sure about the history of economics though.

Me too! Need an A1/A2.. I'm going to cover all the Market Structures, FOP'S, Demand/Supply, Elasticity, National Income, International Trade, Inflation, History and Government!

Same I took it up this year too and I didn't even do a mock. My teacher wasn't the best either I had to do most of macro by myself . I don't know where to start with economics. I was thinking of focusing on micro tomorrow then macro saturday .

• Advertisement

Same I took it up this year too and I didn't even do a mock. My teacher wasn't the best either I had to do most of macro by myself . I don't know where to start with economics. I was thinking of focusing on micro tomorrow then macro saturday .

Haha I feel that I keep seeing you in loads of the subject forms I'm in. Business, geography, this and religion? Yes, I know, it's just very complex to get around. Really have to understand it!

Haha I feel that I keep seeing you in loads of the subject forms I'm in. Business, geography, this and religion? Yes, I know, it's just very complex to get around. Really have to understand it!

Haha yeah I don't do religion though :).
    I was confused with micro the land , labour , enterprise and capital and a few of the diagrams for a while it was really confusing. I still have to go over national income again. I haven't paid attention much to the present economy so I need to look at what I need to know.

nice link :)

Imperfect competition, Inflation, Taxation could be up imo...

costs probably won't come up this year...But I'll be going over Taxation , national income, government, national debt,International Trade.

What makes you think Costs won't come up? I would have thought it'd be likely to be a part of Q3 factors of production, no?

So you're covering basically all the topics before going in, I tying between doing that or concentrating on the ones I think I'm definitely going to answer on!
    #bitofadilemma

Dapics wrote: »
    I'm Studying everything for this exam.

Economics has been very predictable these past few years, perhaps it wont be this year.

I'm also studying Keynesian Economics vs Merchantile Economics.

That's worrying, how do you think they could make it unpredictable?
    So are you thinking something on Smith for mercantile economics could come up for a long Q, instead of short ?

Yes, the marking schemes are generally quiet specific!
    The history of economic though could be a good one to briefly go over because it comes up in short Qs quiet a lot, and something (long) part c) Q7

I've heard some people predicting perfect competition.

MartieG wrote: »
    Right ok, I haven't looked at Economics in many many weeks :(

But I'm good at it, apart from the Micro Part, absolutely hate it !!

So what should I look over? My teacher isn't the best, we didn't finish the course nor did we do Keynes, or the history of iT?

HELP !!

You have time, look through the site I mentioned; khanacademy it'll explain keynes in a really easy way, you can find a lot of info. regarding history of economic thought, just google mercantile theory of economics, and you'll get something on Smith.

I can't stand the economics book we have but the information is there, you should be fine regardless of how bad your teacher is.

Also, be sure to go over all the past papers, short questions are repeated regularly.

EDmon wrote: »
    What makes you think Costs won't come up? I would have thought it'd be likely to be a part of Q3 factors of production, no?

So you're covering basically all the topics before going in, I tying between doing that or concentrating on the ones I think I'm definitely going to answer on!
    #bitofadilemma

I don't know just looking at past papers it doesnt seem to come up consecutive years...I spose that means feck all really.....I'll go over it anyway its such an easy chapter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I have german,physics and accounting before this so all of my study will be done on tuesday . I'm going for an A2 so hopefully I'll be able to remember the stuff I did a few weeks ago.

I don't know just looking at past papers it doesnt seem to come up consecutive years...

Yes I was looking through papers there, it didn't come up last year so its possible you may just get your wish!!

I doubt anyone's gone back as far as 1978 but there's a costs of production Q that year, that is really hard...
    Do you or anyone else know how to calculate the total revenue?
    The Q has a table with variable, fixed and total supply costs...

• Advertisement

Whats the easiest macro questions to do? I was thinking international trade, banking and the employment :S.
    Could you just focus on certain areas and leave some sections out?

Advertisement