Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

**Economics 2012 Higher and Ordinary**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

Everyone should know what's going on currently in the irish economy, I'd say that'll be a big section.. which will be easy enough to answer if you know your stuff.
    Look over the household and water charge

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

I plan on covering almost everything. I will leave out International Trade and Foreign Exchange cause I despise them !
    I would strongly feel there may be alot more emphasis on applied economics questions such as advise minister of health three ways to reduce consumption of soft drinks in schools etc...

Also, Perhaps we will have to compare market structures unlike previous years.... The chief examiner is trying to take out the predictability following suit with the others in subjects such as Geography... I expect it will be somewhat a different paper:p

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

Economics is notoriously difficult, so hopefully they won't make it extra hard. Also for drawing Market structures, should you use graph paper or just use your book?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Do you need to do the state , explain , example in economics?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Do you need to do the state , explain , example in economics?

It depends on the terms of the question you must look carefully at how the question is phrased.... if for example you get a 25 mark question saying state and explain the characteristics of imperfect competition, you will get 2 marks for stating one and 3 for explaining so you would need 5 characteristics it depends on the question.... have a look at the past papers and examine the marking schemes which follow it on examinations.ie

Hope that was what you meant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Economics is notoriously difficult, so hopefully they won't make it extra hard. Also for drawing Market structures, should you use graph paper or just use your book?

My teacher told us you can do either, but you're better off just doing it in your booklet and not waste any time, and that they should take up half a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I hope I haven't forgotten much Economics, haven't done a lot in weeks and got an A2 in my Mock so i'm hoping for at least that next week! Ok, i'm going to do 7 hours of Economics today, I'm gonna try and do:
    • Perfect Competition
    • Imperfect Competition
    • Monopoly
    • Oligopoly
    • Demand & Supply
    • Elasticity

I hope I haven't forgotten much Economics, haven't done a lot in weeks and got an A2 in my Mock so i'm hoping for at least that next week! Ok, i'm going to do 7 hours of Economics today, I'm gonna try and do:
    • Perfect Competition
    • Imperfect Competition
    • Monopoly
    • Oligopoly
    • Demand & Supply
    • Elasticity

Good on ya, I have no motivation to study today. Really need to though, as all the other stuff I've been cramming has superseded my economic knowledge! How did you do so well? Are you very precise in your answering?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Im after forgetting everything about economics. I got an A1 in the mock and now ill be struggling to get a B in it. Im trying to do all micro today but it dosnt seem to be sticking..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I just do out mind maps for general knowledge and then learn A1 answers on certain questions where you simply have to be specific such as Banking, Taxation and history of economic thought

History of economic thought is actually a very very nice question. I never understood why people disliked it, I mean its basically the only question in the exam where you have license to write... I.e - English Format.

For each question:

I just make an intro paragraph and make 4/5 headings and under each heading explain a certain factor relevant to the question. I also use qoutes from notable economists where I deem it necessary under these headings.

Economics is a brilliant subject. Screw Buisness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Dapics wrote: »
    Economics is a brilliant subject. Screw Buisness.

I really like them both, but I love the Economic paper, so much choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I really like them both, but I love the Economic paper, so much choice.

You like buisness?? :eek:

I cannot stand the LC course for it.
    It is not in any, any way relevant to future studies/courses in Universities. It's a load of ****in ****e.

Absolutely despise the theory behind the course. It only benefits people who are willing to rote learn books back to front.

Econ is so much more relevant to the world of business.

I disagree. Business gives you a broader understanding of the entire world of business, informs and introduces you to college aspects of business.

What businesses are people here applying for?

Also what to focus in on for economics?

I disagree. Business gives you a broader understanding of the entire world of business, informs and introduces you to college aspects of business.

What businesses are people here applying for?

Also what to focus in on for economics?

I personally prefer business myself.
    The theory in business can be slightly boring at times but it's not too bad.
    I know economics is more about the present economy . Business is just more for me as it's like how businesses work and things like that. I love the marketing chapter it's really interesting.

I remember after the business exam my friend had applied to a business course and she is now taking it off because she thinks it's boring.
    I'm applying for a IT Business course :). If I wasn't doing IT I'd go for a business course as my next option :).

Good on ya, I have no motivation to study today. Really need to though, as all the other stuff I've been cramming has superseded my economic knowledge! How did you do so well? Are you very precise in your answering?

It's not going too well, I know Monopoly fairly well at this stage, going to start into P.C at 4pm, I <3 Perfect Competition, that's what the Institute are backing!
    I loved Business! :D Business & Economics (and English which I hate surprisingly :pac:) were my only A grades in the Mocks! Business is savage I think! <3 Much love for it!

Totally! I think Business was very factual, I really learnt a lot from doing it!

In 2 minds as whether to take Business/Chinese as my 2nd elective with by BCL next year! I'm definitely taking Economics but I haven't decided whether Business/Chinese is the one i'm picking!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

The economics course is the way the business course should be. In business you are rewarded for your knowledge of the course and not your knowledge of the world of business. I must have had 50 examples of entrepreneurs and different industrial disputes going into the exam yesterday and didnt get to use any of them.

In economics though examiners love somebody that has a grasp of the current economic issues and rewards these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

The economics course is the way the business course should be. In business you are rewarded for your knowledge of the course and not your knowledge of the world of business. I must have had 50 examples of entrepreneurs and different industrial disputes going into the exam yesterday and didnt get to use any of them.

In economics though examiners love somebody that has a grasp of the current economic issues and rewards these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

People backing PC?

I think we will have a question where we will need need to compare IPC and PC. I'm leaving out Oligopoly at this stage..... It just pisses me off.....

and oh my god I hate National income.....

I cannot stand the LC course for it.
    It is not in any, any way relevant to future studies/courses in Universities. It's a load of ****in ****e.

Absolutely despise the theory behind the course. It only benefits people who are willing to rote learn books back to front.

Econ is so much more relevant to the world of business.

Yeah I love business and I didn't rote learn at all or even look at the book, but we have a really good teacher who gives good notes and teaches you the concepts so you understand it. Some of the course is fairly stupid I have to agree but for the most part I really like it. I like economics as well, and I'm hoping for a B2 at least in it, I'm hoping I got the A in business.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've taken today off from studying. Tomorrow I'm blitzing the course, then it's exam papers all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Iony94

Would you say that knowing the markets , demand and supply , international trade , taxation and national income would be enough for the long questions ?

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I've taken today off from studying. Tomorrow I'm blitzing the course, then it's exam papers all the way!

Me three

What are you guys learning for Macro?

Iony94 wrote: »
    Would you say that knowing the markets , demand and supply , international trade , taxation and national income would be enough for the long questions ?

Possibly. Learn Elasticity and the FOP's if you have time and you should be guaranteed at least 4/5 questions!

I'm thinking of trying to get the rest of the short questions done. I've up to 2005 I was thinking of doing 5 years. I'm going to do micro tomorrow the whole section :).
    Do we only need current figures for the macro section? like the unemployment rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I have to do the physics and accounting courses by Monday and that only leaves me with Monday evening and tuesday for most of economics.Its going to be a slog

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Is Price elasticity of supply on the course?

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Is Price elasticity of supply on the course?

I think so, hope it doesn't come though.

Do you reckon a long elasticity question will come up this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

History of economic thought the only question in the exam where you have license to write... I.e - English Format.

For each question:

I just make an intro paragraph and make 4/5 headings and under each heading explain a certain factor relevant to the question. I also use qoutes from notable economists where I deem it necessary under these headings.

Where did you get your quotes from ?
    And which Q does the history of economic thought normally come up with?
    Is it generally just a part c), I've seen a lot of short Qs asking about Keynes eco theories but not so often withing long Qs.

Advertisement