Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst crime committed by a main character?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mr Gen Roddenberry wasn't a character. You could lay blame at him or the writers for everything in thread.

But if the question is posed, why did the Enterprise have children, the actual answer is that is was written that way.

It also happens to fit that particular early era because there was no war, & only minor tensions with the Romulans. It was only later when the Borg arrived, that it changed the tone somewhat. But in essence, the Enterprise-D was a ship of exploration, peace & diplomacy...I thought it was a nice touch to have families on board. But again, it was in keeping with the era. During the wars, not so much, but now if Trek were to continue in a post-Dominion War/Nemesis era, I'd see it again fitting to have families aboard diplomatic type ships.
    In this thread we don't break the fourth wall!!!!:mad:

Well sorry, it's but a TV show & I broke the fourth wall with the answer to the question that was asked. If that shattered anyones Trek illusions, one might be forgiven for saying they take Trek a little too seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

EnterNow wrote: »
    But if the question is posed, why did the Enterprise have children, the actual answer is that is was written that way.

But sure the answer to any discussion about why a character in any fiction does anything is because it was written that way.

you can look beyond that to the, in work, reasons why the character does things and then further again to what the writer is trying to express through the characters motivations.

With your view there is no point at all to any fiction.

But sure the answer to any discussion about why a character in any fiction does anything is because it was written that way.

you can look beyond that to the, in work, reasons why the character does things and then further again to what the writer is trying to express through the characters motivations.

Well we can make up the answer if that keeps you guys happy? Sorry to shatter your illusions but there is no cannon answer to that question barring the one I just mentioned {its a ship of diplomacy & peace}. The real answer is that is was purposely written that way to show how far mankind had come along since even TOS
    With your view there is no point at all to any fiction.

I'm perfectly happy talking cannon, but I've already given the cannon answer, & the actual answer. What more do you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

EnterNow would you ever just relax and let people have a bit of fun.

My post was a tongue in cheek reply to this:
    Not a main character, but whatever admiral promoted Janeway to captain is pretty high up on the list of crimes against the galaxy.

There is nothing serious about any of this so maybe you need just calm down yourself there instead of being all literal about everyone elses posts. Don't ya think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Mr Gen Roddenberry wasn't a character. You could lay blame at him or the writers for everything in thread.

I don't think you get the point of the thread. In this thread we don't break the fourth wall!!!!:mad:

No breaking of the 4th wall here.

If you look at any of the dedication plaques on the bridges of the various enterprise's there is an officer named Gene Roddenberry named on each one apart from 1701 & 1701-A... :P
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Enterprise_dedication_plaque

• Advertisement

EnterNow would you ever just relax and let people have a bit of fun.

There is nothing serious about any of this so maybe you need just calm down yourself there instead of being all literal about everyone elses posts. Don't ya think ?

Yet your the one complaining I broke the fourth wall :confused:

I'm just saying, I answered your question with a canon type explanation, & the real explanation and yet your still not happy. I'm perfectly relaxed here, don't worry about me :) Maybe you should decide on if you want to hear the actual answers to your question though without turning it into a nerd war...
    gatecrash wrote: »
    No breaking of the 4th wall here.

If you look at any of the dedication plaques on the bridges of the various enterprise's there is an officer named Gene Roddenberry named on each one apart from 1701 & 1701-A... :P
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Enterprise_dedication_plaque

Lol good one, I completely forgot about that. In your face reality! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Wasn't that a section-31 operation, rather than an offical Starfleet Medical thing? Still a horrific thing to do, which is why I think it was 31
    Every government has a section 31, The US Government, British Government etc etc have their various dark agencies or black parts of agencies who can they get to do the really dirty work.

While it was section 31 that may have used the hypospray, Starfleet filled it up..

Both true and somewhere in DS9 that issue of Starfleet knowing but not knowing about Section 31 activities is brought up. While a strong possibility Section 31 could have acted alone it's just as possible Starfleet was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Was watching an episode today, Hide and Q from the first season. Wesley Crusher was killed and Riker, with Q like powers brought him back to life.

That takes the biscuit ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Has anyone mentioned Kevin Uxbridge? I'd say the genocide of the entire Husnock race would definitely be up there. 50 billion lives is a fairly high number after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Survivors_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_

Kiith wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Kevin Uxbridge? I'd say the genocide of the entire Husnock race would definitely be up there. 50 billion lives is a fairly high number after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Survivors_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_

Watched that ep last night, good call. It's a real roddenberry-esque episode, & is true & true what Star Trek was always about. Definitely a contender for this threads worst crime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Watched that ep last night, good call. It's a real roddenberry-esque episode, & is true & true what Star Trek was always about. Definitely a contender for this threads worst crime

Good tea.

Nice house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Anybody mentioned Annorax from voyager? Not a main character but he was responsible for the deaths of billions with his time ship. I mean, he would rival the borg in destruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Kirby wrote: »
    Anybody mentioned Annorax from voyager? Not a main character but he was responsible for the deaths of billions with his time ship. I mean, he would rival the borg in destruction.

They quantum leaped that at the end though so it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Not a main character, but whatever admiral promoted Janeway to captain is pretty high up on the list of crimes against the galaxy.

Yep. She should have been court martialled for marooning her crew in the Delta Quadrant in the first place.
    As noted elsewhere, Kirk or Picard would have had their crews home in time for dinner. :)

Advertisement