Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst crime committed by a main character?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Quark says it best, Humans are enlightened until they feel threatened then everything goes out the window for survival

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Quark says it best, Humans are enlightened until they feel threatened then everything goes out the window for survival
    I love that line from Quark in The Siege of AR-558.

"Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, Nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people, as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts, deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers, put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people... will become as nasty and as violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces. Look in their eyes."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Goldstein wrote: »
    I love that line from Quark in The Siege of AR-558.

"Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, Nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people, as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts, deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers, put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people... will become as nasty and as violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces. Look in their eyes."

Lol....funny cause its true.

Ok I have two.

1. Didn't Janeway trade anti-8472 nanites with the Borg in exchange for safe passage through Borg space ? Or something. Selling weapons to a warring race to commit genocide....pretty dark that.

2. Odo abandoned Kira and the Federation for months on end whilst he partook in the great big founder circle-jerk did he not ? Dereliction of duty and treason surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

1. Didn't Janeway trade anti-8472 nanites with the Borg in exchange for safe passage through Borg space ? Or something. Selling weapons to a warring race to commit genocide....pretty dark that.

2. Odo abandoned Kira and the Federation for months on end whilst he partook in the great big founder circle-jerk did he not ? Dereliction of duty and treason surely ?

In fairness to her, 8472 did threaten to destroy everything in their path.

Odo wasn't a Starfleet Officer nor a member of the Federation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

IvySlayer wrote: »

She could have waited till Borg were defeated and then see if 8172 were an actuak threat, then show them that she had the potential to defeat them. As it was she gave the Borg the means to wipe them out, interfering in a war just to get safe passage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

She could have waited till Borg were defeated and then see if 8172 were an actuak threat, then show them that she had the potential to defeat them. As it was she gave the Borg the means to wipe them out, interfering in a war just to get safe passage

Where was the prime directive that day.

Then she has the gall to turn on Ransom when he commits a much lesser crime. Kettle pot or what.

I find janeway a hateful character. Up there with Kai Winn for the most hateful character in star trek IMO.

Both hypocritical leaders in situation with almost no oversight or control.

Both in that situation due to a calamitous series of events that wasn't their doing.

Both willing to lean on a set of ideals when it suits them, but completely ignore them when it goes the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Janeway already knew 8172 planed to exterminate everything before she teamed up with the Borg.

Janeway already knew 8172 planed to exterminate everything before she teamed up with the Borg.

They had not officially declared war on the Federation nor attacked any of their planets. The Borg, on the other hand, had attacked the Federation.
    Voyager had a weapon that nullified the Species threat, so no immediate threat to Voyager/Federation. Only reason to interfere was to get a shortcut.

They had not officially declared war on the Federation nor attacked any of their planets. The Borg, on the other hand, had attacked the Federation.
    Voyager had a weapon that nullified the Species threat, so no immediate threat to Voyager/Federation. Only reason to interfere was to get a shortcut.

Kes had visions of dead Borg and the destruction of Voyager, then after Voyager had retrieved the crew from the damaged Cube Kes is told by 8472 something about lesser species will be destroyed which they repeat more then once. It was after that that the deal was made with the Borg.

Kes had a vision is reason enough?

Also she had no need to help the Borg, as I said she could have waited till the Borg were gone and THEN shown 8472 that she had a weapon capable of destroying them. She chose to help the Borg and allow her ship safe passage

• Advertisement

Pedant. He had starfleet security clearance. And he definitely betrayed the station where he was posted.
    Kes had a vision is reason enough?

:rolleyes:
    Kes and her f**kin visions. And her feelings :rolleyes:

You might want to watch the episodes again, Voyager was working on an Anti-Borg weapon not an Anti-8472 weapon, to make the Anti-8472 weapon Voyager needed the Borg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I would say most things Janeway did over the period of the series.

Whilst her intentions were 'good' in a manner of speaking, her mission to get the crew home at any cost, she was also the cause of increasing amounts of war, murder and so much more in the Quadrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I would say most things Janeway did over the period of the series.

Whilst her intentions were 'good' in a manner of speaking, her mission to get the crew home at any cost, she was also the cause of increasing amounts of war, murder and so much more in the Quadrant.

I blame the writers, and it plays into the ends justifying the means mentality/federation exceptionalism mindset. Basically if Janeway does something completely unethical it's ok because she represents the "good guys." Sci Fi Debris, as much as he's criticised in this forum, made a really good point about Janeway's character, basically she is presented as never being wrong, any alternative viewpoint is blocked out. So if anything she reflects badly on the writers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Pedant. He had starfleet security clearance. And he definitely betrayed the station where he was posted.

You mean the station that was under Dominion rule after Bajor's non-aggression treaty with the Dominion? How exactly did he betray a Dominion run station?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

Voyagers crew had sufficient cause to believe that Species 8472 was going to exterminate all life in the Milky Way Galaxy. They also had zero defenses against them as 8742s weapons (they were able to destroy entire planets and/or Borg armadas in a few seconds) and shields were dramatically superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Genocide or not, I 'm not sure attempting to destroy the Borg is such a crime - In any other situation, in war, military targets are fair game.

But what do you do when the entire race is part of the military? (This was before Hugh created that splinter group)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

komodosp wrote: »
    Genocide or not, I 'm not sure attempting to destroy the Borg is such a crime

Picard would disagree with you. But then, you mentioned hugh so I think you know that already. :)
    Then she has the gall to turn on Ransom when he commits a much lesser crime. Kettle pot or what.

Thats not the same. At all.

Much lesser crime? Ransom was murdering an innocent species for his own gain. There was nothing innocent about 8472. They wanted to exterminate all life.

They were only humanized later on in the holodeck episode where they negotiated a truce with Janeway....... and to a lesser extent, the episode where 8472 is hunted by the hirogen and just wants to go home. Up until that point, they had just been portrayed as violent and bloodthirsty and not content with merely defeating the borg.

I find janeway a hateful character. Up there with Kai Winn for the most hateful character in star trek IMO.

Both hypocritical leaders in situation with almost no oversight or control.

Both in that situation due to a calamitous series of events that wasn't their doing.

Both willing to lean on a set of ideals when it suits them, but completely ignore them when it goes the other way.

Janeway always tries to do the right thing but she gets alot wrong and makes more mistakes than any of the other captains. Thats what makes her a better character than most of the characters in trek. She's flawed.

Voyager was in inferior show with an inferior cast of characters overall. But Janeway was a more realistic portroyal of what a captain would really be like. You would spend alot of time wrestling with doing the right thing and getting your crew home. You would bend the rules and then wonder if you are losing your humanity by doing so. You would be ridiculously protective of your crew. You would make a balls of everything occassionally because of it.

Kirk, Picard and Archer aren't realistic characters. Kirk's womanising is ridiculous for a captain and Picard and Archer are just too perfect. Even their flaws aren't realistic.

Sisko and Janeway were better captains because you saw them mess up occasionally. I liked that. Ask any DS9 fan and they will tell you that Sisko's obsession with Eddington was one of their favourite parts of the show, besides Garak :p. They will tell you they loved it when he lied and cheated to get the Romulans into the war. Sure when one of the main characters dies on him at the end of season 6....... he kind of abandons his post and wallows in a fit of depression. These are things that real people would do.

Star trek may be a show about a near perfect Utopian society, but a show with perfect characters isn't interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Spock for appearing in the last film ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

Are we talking main characters or Main federation officers?
    That founder ordering the genocide on Cardassia has to take the cake.
    If its just federation, maybe star fleet medical infecting odo to wipe out the link.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Gary L wrote: »
    Are we talking main characters or Main federation officers?
    That founder ordering the genocide on Cardassia has to take the cake.
    If its just federation, maybe star fleet medical infecting odo to wipe out the link.

Wasn't that a section-31 operation, rather than an offical Starfleet Medical thing? Still a horrific thing to do, which is why I think it was 31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Worfs extra judicial murder of Duras

legal according to Klingon society

amen wrote: »
    legal according to Klingon society

Not only legal, but probably required under a warrior code too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

EnterNow wrote: »
    Wasn't that a section-31 operation, rather than an offical Starfleet Medical thing? Still a horrific thing to do, which is why I think it was 31

Every government has a section 31, The US Government, British Government etc etc have their various dark agencies or black parts of agencies who can they get to do the really dirty work.

While it was section 31 that may have used the hypospray, Starfleet filled it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not a main character, but whatever admiral promoted Janeway to captain is pretty high up on the list of crimes against the galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Not a main character, but whatever admiral promoted Janeway to captain is pretty high up on the list of crimes against the galaxy.

They only promoted her so they could stick her behind a desk and not give her a new ship :P

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

How did this thread become a Janeway bashing? Where are the mods?:rolleyes:

Well if you want to play that game then surely whichever admiral decided crew members could bring their children on board.....I'm looking at you Dr Crusher:mad:

Well if you want to play that game then surely whichever admiral decided crew members could bring their children on board.....I'm looking at you Dr Crusher:mad:

Wouldn't that be a Mr. Gene Roddenberry? Didn't he wan't that for TNG?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be a Mr. Gene Roddenberry? Didn't he wan't that for TNG?

Mr Gen Roddenberry wasn't a character. You could lay blame at him or the writers for everything in thread.

I don't think you get the point of the thread. In this thread we don't break the fourth wall!!!!:mad:

Advertisement