Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Religion Leaving Cert 2012 Predictions/Thoughts/Aftermath

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

One question again. What can be left out of Christianity: Origins and Contemporary expressions??

Personally, I'm leaving out what came up last year: Impact of Resurrection and modern Christian writers. If I have time I'll quickly go over what came up in 2010 but if I don't have time I'll probably leave them out: Early Christian community and conflict with establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

Geo10 wrote: »
    One question again. What can be left out of Christianity: Origins and Contemporary expressions??

Personally, I'm leaving out what came up last year: Impact of Resurrection and modern Christian writers. If I have time I'll quickly go over what came up in 2010 but if I don't have time I'll probably leave them out: Early Christian community and conflict with establishment.

Cool thanks. Any idea what to focus on though, no? I'm thinking jesus as the messiah and evidence of Jesus in Nazareth.

Cool thanks. Any idea what to focus on though, no? I'm thinking jesus as the messiah and evidence of Jesus in Nazareth.

Yeah those two are very probable. I'm also focusing on the return to the origins (Luther and Vatican 2), images of Jesus (film and art) and work of modern Christian denomination/ ecumenism.
    I might look at the kingdom of god too (Jewish and jesus)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

this has to be the one exam we'll have god on our side for

imelle wrote: »
    this has to be the one exam we'll have god on our side for

Haha I hope so :) I really need a good B in this, hope it's feasible.

• Advertisement

I only know 4 out 10 chapters in section G (symbol, ritual, meditation, mysticism) so given the complete absence of choice, I could either be totally prepared, half prepared or totally unprepared!! I do this by myself and I concentrated too much on the other sections and project! I never even read the other chapters! Might cover formal prayer too if I have time given that it's highly tipped to come up!
    I have sooo much to study! I'll be up very late tonight anyway!! I would really love an A in this after all the work I put in but it seems like all that work is going to waste if I don't revise it... cause I forget most of it! Now I'm procrastinating on this... better go study! (I can't rely on divine inspiration either LOL, given it doesn't actually exist :rolleyes::D;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bengyrules

such a vast subject! I'm concentrating my studying on these: philosophers, cosmologies, salvation/liberation, returning to origins + ceile de, stewardship and enviornment, primal religions, Aquinas + Christian philosophers, eividence of jesus, relationship with transcendant, new religious movements, maybe just war theory, and maybe inter-faith dialogue

Religion is becoming a much more popular subject in my school. This year their was about 15-20 people in the one class but next year their will be two classes of that amount. i hope due tothe increase in numbers studying it, that they will improve the text books, they were really bad. i had to spend hours looking online to answer an essay as the book had little or nothing on it. I wonder if that was just our book though.

bengyrules wrote: »
    Religion is becoming a much more popular subject in my school. This year their was about 15-20 people in the one class but next year their will be two classes of that amount. i hope due tothe increase in numbers studying it, that they will improve the text books, they were really bad. i had to spend hours looking online to answer an essay as the book had little or nothing on it. I wonder if that was just our book though.
    I totally agree! There's only one series of RE books and they're generally very bad (ESPECIALLY section B!!) I had to find my own notes on line for the different outcomes from the RESS website, Wikipedia etc. I studied religious festivals out of my Junior Cert RE book! They gave ten times the detail!! :eek:

Geo10 wrote: »
    I totally agree! There's only one series of RE books and they're generally very bad (ESPECIALLY section B!!) I had to find my own notes on line for the different outcomes from the RESS website, Wikipedia etc. I studied religious festivals out of my Junior Cert RE book! They gave ten times the detail!! :eek:

yeah, my teacher used to photocopy a lot out of the junior cert books. its a new enough subject at leaving cert level so I'm sure it will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

It was horrible. Anyone else think so? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

It was horrible. Anyone else think so? :L

Meh. I wasn't happy at all with it either ): Was convinced it was over at 11:30, so when yer man didn't come round to collect it, I started panicking, thinking he was giving extra time to us but would possily mark it down on the paper that we had extra time. (I don't know, I was under stress.) Upon sealing it, I then saw that it was over at 12:00. I met my teacher waiting outside: "Oh, you're finished early." Dx
    I didn't like it as a paper as the things I was most unsure of came up and blah, it was just bad. Really annoyed with the questions asked; thought I was well prepared, and apparently that was not the case, haha.
    So yeah, you're not alone there (: Oh well, it's over now!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FifaClubs Conor

Ye wasn't a great paper in my opinion, the other lads doing it in my school thought so to. Think i done ok though.

Section A: I wasn't really sure about (b) of Q1 so I did 2 and it was okay... bit weirdly phrased. For (a) I talked about the Big Ban theory and how it could result in atheism or theism (supports both systems of meaning in life etc)
    (b) I talked about Aquinas and the Quinque Viae/ Five Ways and how that could strengthen a person of faith's faith)

Section B: Very happy! Did Tacitus and Josephus evidence for existence of Jesus in (a) and "Jesus of the People" by Janet Mckenzie for (b)

Section C: Very happy with part (a)! Learned Bahai for the first time at 2 o clock last night and could remember it all! For (b) I did the Bar Mitzvah for (I) before realising there's no rites of initiation into adulthood in Islam!! I should have done the birth rites: Brit Milah and Aquiqah! But it was too late by that stage so I tried to compare the Bar Mitvah with the Buddhist rite of initiation into adulthood! I didn't even know its name :o I just knew it was something about them going to the Sangha! I started making up stuff like they learn how to meditate and stuff'

Section G: Couldn't have gone worse!! I hadn't a clue about (a) so I did (b) first and talked all about St Teresa of Avila but I'm not even sure if that's right cos it said mystical tradition! I tried to talk about how she started the mystical tradition of the Reformed Carmelites but don't know if that's right! I only gad 14/13 minutes for (a) then and I waffled and waffled!! For sacrament I said how people pray because it is a time when they experience god's grace and they are changing their religious identity and need support?!? For experience of awe and wonder I wrote about 6 lines of pure crap! Talking about how people are affected by the awe and mystery of nature and want to pray to give god praise or thanksgiving?

Overall, I'm feeling mixed. Some really nice questions, some ok , one that was brilliant if I answered it right but awful if I didn't and one very waffly one!

Wasn't a bad paper,

I did question two:

Talked about the expanding universe theory and incorporated big bang

Then talked about anselm - wasn't too bad

Then

Tacitus and Josephus

And passion of the Christ, I was delighted to see that question as I had studied the film (it was okay to talk about that right):P

Christianity - baptism
    Couldn't fully remember Buddhism birth initiation

Then gebder question was difficult. I talked about Julian of Norwich.

Is that all okay?

ok i looked through what's come up before and here's predictions from what hasn't come up in a while or come up at all yet...

Sec A - Anselm/Aquinas/Newton, Socrates, the beginnings in early Greece, divine revelation, three key moments in the development of philosophical thought, cosmologies of modern science, the transcendent in world relgions...

Sec B - Evidence for Jesus' existence, how one christian tradition carries on Jesus' work, images of Jesus in Modern culture, Luther Reforms/Evangelical movement/Ceilí Dé, founding vision of christianity

Sec C - Primal religions, key moments in world religions, vision of salvation, Cults/Sects, The holy,

Sec G - Formal Prayer, mystics, mystical tradition, ritual,

might be totally wrong but they just haven't been asked in a while or ever :)

my predictions weren't bad :D

only being able to think of sheldon cooper when talking about TBBT

only being able to think of sheldon cooper when talking about TBBT

I nearly wrote the words to the theme song!

Did nobody write about the passion of Christ?

I didn't but that's perfectly fine. I wound have wrote about it but I knee more about "Jesus of the People" so I went with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

I did, I was going to do the picture "Jesus of the people" but I knew more about the passion the the Christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

We did Gethsemane from Jesus Christ Superstar as a song instead.

The second question on Section g was horrid (probably because I hadn't studied it but ....) I rambled about how Buddhists meditate to reach enlightenment and said Nirvana like 20 times.
    Over all it was a nice paper with a few little confusions. Happy Happy now :D

yeah I wrote about and I was really fortunate because I only looked at it the night before. I made the mistake of misreading the question and writing about two films before realising. it was easy to write about.

Advertisement