Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Religion Leaving Cert 2012 Predictions/Thoughts/Aftermath

Options
  • 07-06-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Just thought i'd make one for all us holy people. anyone got any predictions on what they think might come up. .

i can see them asking modern cosmologies..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Discuss the role of jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Gentlemanne

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Discuss the role of jesus.

Make references to the (Holy) text in your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Have done nothing for religion for the past year. So definitely going to be an intense cram session for two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

reznov wrote: »
    Have done nothing for religion for the past year. So definitely going to be an intense cram session for two days.

yep same! i have accounting on the monday then 3 days to cram. worked last year so hopefully will this year

imelle wrote: »
    yep same! i have accounting on the monday then 3 days to cram. worked last year so hopefully will this year

What did you get last year? Is a B to an A achievable? I've studied it a bit :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FTS

I did religion last year and hardly learned half the course. I didnt start studying until about 2 days before hand because i had a week off and thought id be grand. I didnt understand a thing going into that exam because my teacher was just, terrible. I did know my creation myths though, my lovely, lovely creation myths. I honest to god (no pun intended) thought i had failed that exam. The only part i knew i did ok on was section a. Seriously thought i had bombed and was gonna do so bad. But my surprise when i got a b3 !!! in it was unbelievable. So maybe i sounded as though i knew what i was talking about? Ive no idea, but im not complaining.

What did you get last year? Is a B to an A achievable? I've studied it a bit :P

i went from a C3 in my mocks to an A2 in the actual leaving last year. i studied it 4 days (the sunday, tuesday, wednesday and thurs before) part of the reason is because i got full marks in my project so remember you have that too :D some raging when i found out i had to do a new project though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

Wouldn't mind modern cosmologies. Came up in the mock, got 39 or so out of 40. Nice NRM question would be nice too. Although with only 5 or so papers (I think?) its hard to know what to expect.

Religion and Gender is handy though. What option sections are you guys doing? And the coursework I found handy, did Darwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

Religion and Gender is handy though. What option sections are you guys doing? And the coursework I found handy, did Darwin

We did Section A, b, c and G. :)
    I enjoyed my coursework bu by then end I was so fed up of it. I did The Ending of Life one.

Cosmology, proofs of God, Liberation/Salvation, Kingdom of God, Messiah would be lovely.
    There's actually surprisingly low numbers of people who do RE. There's 6 in my school. It's actually quite an interesting subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

I enjoyed my coursework bu by then end I was so fed up of it. I did The Ending of Life one.

Cosmology, proofs of God, Liberation/Salvation, Kingdom of God, Messiah would be lovely.
    There's actually surprisingly low numbers of people who do RE. There's 6 in my school. It's actually quite an interesting subject!

That would be nice. Proofs of god is handy, Kingdom of God is lovely :D
    Well there's about 15 in my class. I started out liking with Section A, B+C weren't that great though I thought. But E is handy enough, only about 3/4 different essays that can realistically be asked

• Advertisement

Guys have you a general summary of what I should study? Going to seriously cram so anything is useful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rebekahx

Getting the deb mock again would be lovely. Thankfully have a week over before it to study, just worried because it's so vast.

We do Sec A, B, C and this year i do sec G. last year i did sec I and had the teacher that wrote the book. this year my teacher is good but like she didn't write a book on the course... :P

timing and choice are a b!tch on this paper

Guys have you a general summary of what I should study? Going to seriously cram so anything is useful. :)

everything. no choice :(
    For Sec A something on the philosophers has come up every year so it would be hard to see them not putting one on this year, but then ya never know.
    proofs of god, concept of revelation.
    Sec B - is actually a kinda short section..ish. you'll probably be able to get it all covered and some of the stuff you might be able to waffle in it like if you've watched the passion of christ you'll remember most and won't need to study as such.

there's 9 people in my class including me doing religion this year. last year there was 27 in my class. i think people started to choose subjects based on trying to be finished early :P

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

I really do think knowing the basic basic facts can get you through the exam, in the mocks I only did two questions out of the four cause that was all i knew enough about but I still got 42% i wrote about 3 pages each but most of it was just me wording it well and making it seem like i knew what i was talking about. I think if you sound like that it can go a long way. So much of of the marks go for the introduction and your own personal opinions and reflection. Also there is a topic in the religion and gender section that came up last year and if you would be cutting that out it takes out a big chunk of the r&g section as a percentage so look into that!

I have most of sec A and B down. Just need the remaining ones. :) Passion of Christ I remember along with the painting of Christ portrayed as a an African American female.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

Leviticus and Gay marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

Honest opinion: what do you reckon the chances are of Proofs of God popping up? (from Search for Meaning and Values) I cannot suffer that question at all. Never sticks in my head.
    Here's hoping they bring up Socrates/Plato and not Aristotle!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

I only took it up this year and have been doing it mainly by myself. My project was good enough I think, but don't have a great knowledge of the course. What would be good to focus in on for moral decision making, world religions and religion and gender?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

I only took it up this year and have been doing it mainly by myself. My project was good enough I think, but don't have a great knowledge of the course. What would be good to focus in on for moral decision making, world religions and religion and gender?

We didn't do moral decision making, sorry, but for Religion and Gender, I think gender roles (eg. Judaism and how they've changed - for example how there can now be female rabbis) is quite likely. *fingers crossed* That whole book is quite manageable, in comparison to some of the others, really. World Religions, hmm, my teacher thinks The Holy to focus on as well as Sikhs...but anything is likely. I'm not looking forward to Religion, to be honest. Best of luck, anyway (:

I thought I was the only person who did that one. Took so long to gather material. I went over word count though - what did you do for it? I interviewed loads of people priests, doctors, morticians etc. then asked questions like how do they define the ending of life, and so on. Really hope it was enough.

NinjaDucks wrote: »

We didn't do moral decision making, sorry, but for Religion and Gender, I think gender roles (eg. Judaism and how they've changed - for example how there can now be female rabbis) is quite likely. *fingers crossed* That whole book is quite manageable, in comparison to some of the others, really. World Religions, hmm, my teacher thinks The Holy to focus on as well as Sikhs...but anything is likely. I'm not looking forward to Religion, to be honest. Best of luck, anyway (:

Cheers for the advice.

For the Religion course, what parts at this late stage from

Search for meaning and values.

World Religions

Moral decision making

Religion and Gender

Could you focus in on specific parts to guarantee cover? What parts/sections could be cut out fully? Thanks.

World Religions

Moral decision making

Religion and Gender

Could you focus in on specific parts to guarantee cover? What parts/sections could be cut out fully? Thanks.

I thought I was the only person who did that one. Took so long to gather material. I went over word count though - what did you do for it? I interviewed loads of people priests, doctors, morticians etc. then asked questions like how do they define the ending of life, and so on. Really hope it was enough.

I did that one too, I found it hard I had it done but then when my teacher read it I seen how wrong I went with the question. Over all though in the end I thought it was pretty good I definitely preferred it to the other one in that same section.

World Religions

Moral decision making

Religion and Gender

In religion and gender there is three sections 1:gender society and religion 2:gender and Christianity and 3:woman's stories, Number two is the largest and the whole section came up in 2011 as you are only meant to know one in the section, Like someone said above gender roles is likely, last came up in 2005 thats in the first section, In the third section I would focus on the contributions of woman under a detailed profile of one woman (ol) and two woman (hl) it last came up in 06 or feminist theologies (08)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ermen

How long are the essays meant to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

My religion teacher said that Plato is due to come up in the search for meaning section. She also said that none of her predictions have been wrong in 8 years but I find that hard to believe :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

ermen wrote: »
    How long are the essays meant to be?
    Multiply the amount of marks going for the question by ten and thats how many words it should contain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 LovintheLC

Is it true that you have to write 6 or 7 pages for each answer?! I dont think I could manage that with only a half an hour for each section:(

Advertisement