Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Religion Leaving Cert 2012 Predictions/Thoughts/Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rebekahx

LovintheLC wrote: »
    Is it true that you have to write 6 or 7 pages for each answer?! I dont think I could manage that with only a half an hour for each section:(

We were always told 2 - 2 and a half pages for an 80 mark question, 6 or 7 is totally ridiculous. There isn't even that much in the book for some sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LovintheLC

Rebekahx wrote: »
    LovintheLC wrote: »
    Is it true that you have to write 6 or 7 pages for each answer?! I dont think I could manage that with only a half an hour for each section:(

We were always told 2 - 2 and a half pages for an 80 mark question, 6 or 7 is totally ridiculous. There isn't even that much in the book for some sections.

Thanks so much! Our teacher told us around 3-3 and a half for ol students the around 6 for higher level! Which we all thought was a bit unrealistic,

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

Search for meaning and values and moral decision making???

What are people focusing in on? I still haven't been able to dedicate much time to it, cause of other exam

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

we were told 2 and a half pages per section :D so for 40 mark qs aim for 1 and a half ish... like that's pushing yourself within the time too because you have to think in the religion exam alot :D

• Advertisement

haven't started revising religion yet because i just finished accounting today. gonna cram like crap these next 3 days..

if you're really stuck i'd say for Sec A learn the philosophers because they have come up every year and to be honest i wish i could help more with predictions but it is really hard to as there's no choice and it's such a new subject.
    they'll probably try bringing in the stuff about young people somewhere too.
    look at the HL only topics

The banter will be endless during this exam! Sooo much to study. ugh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

imelle wrote: »
    we were told 2 and a half pages per section :D so for 40 mark qs aim for 1 and a half ish... like that's pushing yourself within the time too because you have to think in the religion exam alot :D

To what extent can you BS? Can you frequently integrate personal opinion?

I've Economics and in the process of cramming for it. Finish on Wednesday then going full speed at Religion. I really like the subject, but haven't really had a proper teacher, I'm considering now doing Section B - Christianity: Origins and Expressions instead of Section D Moral Decision making. What do people think?? Also any ideas what to pay close attention to for Section B?

reznov wrote: »
    To what extent can you BS? Can you frequently integrate personal opinion?

yeah throw your personal opinion into every answer. a teacher at my school wrote a few of the books and said that even if you don't know an answer to something just personally respond to the question and you'll get a few marks..which mightn't be a lot but is better than none :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Just did chemistry today and now I have to start studying for this! I'm personally too tired to study now (only had a 3 hour sleep last night and just did a 3 hour exam). I'm going to try and do 2 intensive days tomorrow and Thursday!!!

For Section A:
    I'd love a philosopher question or on humanists, traditional "proofs" of god or cosmology vs creation myth question. I wouldn't mind an ancient religious behaviour question or a secular values question either. This is the only section I'm properly prepared for ( well as in I know what to study and have notes made out... Just haven't actually studied them yet!!!)

Section B:
    I'd be prepared for a Q on messianic expectations, ancient jewish groups,or Martin Luther/ Vatican II. I'm kind of hazy with this section

Section C:
    I know primal religion, organisation of religions, and a few festivals/ rites from each. Still didn't study Baha'i at all yet! Didnt do inter faith dialogue either and am leaving out contemporary challenges.

Section G:
    zilch! I know NOTHING! Sooo screwed for this section!

Is anyone else leaving out the stuff that came up last year e.g Christian writers, contemporary situations of world religions...?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

Geo10 wrote: »
    Just did chemistry today and now I have to start studying for this! I'm personally too tired to study now (only had a 3 hour sleep last night and just did a 3 hour exam). I'm going to try and do 2 intensive days tomorrow and Thursday!!!

For Section A:
    I'd love a philosopher question or on humanists, traditional "proofs" of god or cosmology vs creation myth question. I wouldn't mind an ancient religious behaviour question or a secular values question either. This is the only section I'm properly prepared for ( well as in I know what to study and have notes made out... Just haven't actually studied them yet!!!)

Section B:
    I'd be prepared for a Q on messianic expectations, ancient jewish groups,or Martin Luther/ Vatican II. I'm kind of hazy with this section

Section C:
    I know primal religion, organisation of religions, and a few festivals/ rites from each. Still didn't study Baha'i at all yet! Didnt do inter faith dialogue either and am leaving out contemporary challenges.

Section G:
    zilch! I know NOTHING! Sooo screwed for this section!

Is anyone else leaving out the stuff that came up last year e.g Christian writers, contemporary situations of world religions...?

You sound like you know what you are talking about so I will disturd your life with a question XD (Sorry).

Outline Two examples of how experiences in life today could make a person question the meaning of life 40 MARKER.

Do you talk about like the purpose of suffering and the nature of good and evil?

ok i looked through what's come up before and here's predictions from what hasn't come up in a while or come up at all yet...

Sec A - Anselm/Aquinas/Newton, Socrates, the beginnings in early Greece, divine revelation, three key moments in the development of philosophical thought, cosmologies of modern science, the transcendent in world relgions...

Sec B - Evidence for Jesus' existence, how one christian tradition carries on Jesus' work, images of Jesus in Modern culture, Luther Reforms/Evangelical movement/Ceilí Dé, founding vision of christianity

Sec C - Primal religions, key moments in world religions, vision of salvation, Cults/Sects, The holy,

Sec G - Formal Prayer, mystics, mystical tradition, ritual,

might be totally wrong but they just haven't been asked in a while or ever :)

You sound like you know what you are talking about so I will disturd your life with a question XD (Sorry).

Outline Two examples of how experiences in life today could make a person question the meaning of life 40 MARKER.

Do you talk about like the purpose of suffering and the nature of good and evil?
    For me personally, that would be the most awful section A question because it's not even listed as an outcome for that section!
    The marking scheme said you could talk about:
    • Experience of bereavement could make people question what should be important in life etc.
    • Experience of suffering in life could make a person question why some people experience suffering etc.
    • Etc.
    So I suppose you could talk about the nature of good and evil/ purpose of suffering/ goal and purpose of life in the context of two experiences that would make you ask those questions. What I'd do if I HAD to do that question would be:
    - Describe the experience e.g bereavement
    - Describe how that experience makes you ask fundamental questions of meaning/ purpose/ suffering/ possibility of an afterlife
    - Maybe give some examples of how that can be seen in contemporary culture e.g. Experience of suffering seen in music (black eyed peas: "where is the love?") or an experience that makes you question the meaning and purpose of life is seen in literature (e.g "Man's Search for Meaning" by viktor e frankl)

I wonder what will come up for world religions hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

I wonder what will come up for world religions hmm

Im thinking between:
    Primal religion (mana tabu totem, shaman)
    major trends in religion in contemporary ireland
    rites of initiation
    How the transcendent and the human person relate
    interfaith dialogue
    Cults/sects/new religious movements

Plato never came up on his own before! (he appeared in 2006 as one of 3 options between him, Socrates & Aristotle) So I'd say he's likely!
    Traditional "proofs" of the transcendent didn't come up since 2005 and I'd say a question on the humanists or the development of philosophy is also very likely! :)
    I have a feeling they're going to have parts a and b in Questions 1 and 2 from very different parts of Section A! E.g Q1(a) on philosophy and (b) on something like early religious behaviour or divine revelation

Geo10 wrote: »
    Plato never came up on his own before! (he appeared in 2006 as one of 3 options between him, Socrates & Aristotle) So I'd say he's likely!
    Traditional "proofs" of the transcendent didn't come up since 2005 and I'd say a question on the humanists or the development of philosophy is also very likely! :)
    I have a feeling they're going to have parts a and b in Questions 1 and 2 from very different parts of Section A! E.g Q1(a) on philosophy and (b) on something like early religious behaviour or divine revelation

In the process of trying to revise the entire course before tomorrow. Really can't cut anything out of Section A.

Anyone have tips for Section B: Christianity?

Any ideas what might appear for religion and gender? :)

Were Augustine and Aquinas people who are considered key moments in the development of Philosophy? Could you argue it from the point of the way they bridged Christian and Greek philosophy perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Aoife67

I think if you were asked about a key philosopher, it would have to be Socrates. After all, he was concerned with the person's place in the world rather than the origin of the world. His importance is shown in that those who came before him (even if they were contemporaries) were known as pre-Socratic.

That said, I agree that Plato is likely to come up. However, as he is our source for Socrates' philosophy, it is worth knowing both.

Proofs of God hasn't come up at higher level for a long time...

Aoife67 wrote: »
    I think if you were asked about a key philosopher, it would have to be Socrates. After all, he was concerned with the person's place in the world rather than the origin of the world. His importance is shown in that those who came before him (even if they were contemporaries) were known as pre-Socratic.

That said, I agree that Plato is likely to come up. However, as he is our source for Socrates' philosophy, it is worth knowing both.

Proofs of God hasn't come up at higher level for a long time...

Do you think it would be enough to cover just section 1 & 3 of Search for meaning??

It depends how they organise parts 1 and 2. If you are really talking about last-minute revision (and I suppose you are, now), then yes. I think there's a good chance that divine revelation, proofs of God, and Plato will come up. That means you're stuck if cosmologies of modern science appear - and I think they will - but a five minute read over the key points of those should be enough to refresh your memory. This should help: http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ress.ie%2Fpowerpoint%2FTopic%25202.2_Two%2520Cosmologies

Aoife67 wrote: »
    It depends how they organise parts 1 and 2. If you are really talking about last-minute revision (and I suppose you are, now), then yes. I think there's a good chance that divine revelation, proofs of God, and Plato will come up. That means you're stuck if cosmologies of modern science appear - and I think they will - but a five minute read over the key points of those should be enough to refresh your memory. This should help: http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ress.ie%2Fpowerpoint%2FTopic%25202.2_Two%2520Cosmologies

Thank you very much for posting. Much appreciated. Yes, had an exam yesterday so trying to get as much done today as possible. Took me three hours this morning just to revise the first section on philosophy, contributions etc.

Doubt you have any advice on the other questions eg Christian origins, world religions and religion and gender?:)

If I had to gamble on World Religions, it would be:
    Key moments in life, comparing these in different religions.
    Salvation/liberation
    Primal religion
    New Religious Movement (if you've done that, otherwise one of the other options in that section).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

Do you think its possible to pass leaving out 2 sections

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

Do you think its possible to pass leaving out 2 sections

yeah definitely

This is actually such a difficult subject. I was talking to someone who said his wife had completed a degree in Theology and she couldn't even answer aspects of the paper. It's unfair that if you've put so much work into learning large parts of the course - that are really heavy learning, there's no guarantee it will come up. A fraction of the huge course comes up and in the fraction you have no choice, but to do what is given. Really hope it's a nice fraction :(ha

Were Augustine and Aquinas people who are considered key moments in the development of Philosophy? Could you argue it from the point of the way they bridged Christian and Greek philosophy perhaps?

They both represet one key moment in the development of philosophy i.e. Christian philosophers, and yes, the reason you mentioned is exactly why it represents a key moment in the development of philosophy.
    If you were asked 2 key moments, a second would be the Age of Reason (I.e. René DesCartes) or Existentialist movement (Nietzche/ Sartre)

• Advertisement

One question again. What can be left out of Christianity: Origins and Contemporary expressions??

Advertisement